• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
We also need Cat Girl Without Salad to be an actual game.

Or at least have Kebako in an actual Wayforward title.
^Is this fanart or is it inspired from an actual IP? A link to the origins of this character would be nice.

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
We also need Cat Girl Without Salad to be an actual game.

Or at least have Kebako in an actual Wayforward title.
I can imagine it as a side scrolling shoot em up sorta like mega man but with the platforming of shantae and the puzzle solving of the mighty games

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Not much, but we're gonna be getting a Nindies @ Night event on August 27th to look forward to that will showcase new indie titles coming to Wii U & 3DS.
Ooo, Nindies huh? Also, that is the day Runbow will launch, if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully Shantae will be in something big...

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So I recently asked Wayforward about the possible reveal of "Battle Mode" in Half-Genie Hero, and the awnser was to basically be paitent, as they won't discuss anything that hasn't been revealed on the Kickstarter page.

Fingers crossed.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
This guy has been answering questions from japan. There kind of interesting, He even talks about popular video game characters in japan for DLC.
https://nm.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/3hmies/im_japanese_do_you_have_any_question_about/
I find it rather bizarre (in a "surprised" kind of way) that Japan seems to not really care about the new additions in Smash Bros 4, besides Megaman and Pac-Man, even with the likes of Shulk and whatnot. This seems to stretch into "indie" requested characters, sadly I assume, but still, that doesn't really mean much when as long as Japan likes and knows more about characters like Shantae in this instance, she still could have a preferable chance as a fighter.

But it really does show's that Japan love's the veterans and more than likely "classic Nintendo and other company's characters".

Which makes me wonder about King K Rool then...

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
This guy has been answering questions from japan. There kind of interesting, He even talks about popular video game characters in japan for DLC.
https://nm.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/3hmies/im_japanese_do_you_have_any_question_about/
So the general consensus is Japanese actually don't care about newcomers at all compared to Westerners?

So I guess arguments stating "They aren't popular in Japan", apparently NO ONE is popular in Japan unless you're a Veteran! I've seen K. Rool and Ridley tossed around but only a few times on Miiverse, siting "over seas popularity".

If you don't mind I'm going to repost this in the K. Rool thread incase it hasn't been done already.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I find it rather bizarre (in a "surprised" kind of way) that Japan seems to not really care about the new additions in Smash Bros 4, besides Megaman and Pac-Man, even with the likes of Shulk and whatnot. This seems to stretch into "indie" requested characters, sadly I assume, but still, that doesn't really mean much when as long as Japan likes and knows more about characters like Shantae in this instance, she still could have a preferable chance as a fighter.

But it really does show's that Japan love's the veterans and more than likely "classic Nintendo and other company's characters".

Which makes me wonder about King K Rool then...
Yikes.... Does this mean Japan does not care about Shantae since they seem to love veterans more then newcomers?

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Yikes.... Does this mean Japan does not care about Shantae since they seem to love veterans more then newcomers?
I said in my post that although they "may not" care for her as a fighter because they seem to like older (more known from back in the day) characters, that doesn't mean she wouldn't be liked as a character, as you've seen plenty of drawings of her from Japanese audiences. All that matters is; does she appeal to Japan? It seems like she's slowly, but surely is, even if it's not just from a Smash Bros perspective.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I said in my post that although they "may not" care for her as a fighter because they seem to like older (more known from back in the day) characters, that doesn't mean she wouldn't be liked as a character, as you've seen plenty of drawings of her from Japanese audiences. All that matters is; does she appeal to Japan? It seems like she's slowly, but surely is, even if it's not just from a Smash Bros perspective.
You have a point. I suppose Japan would favor characters of the past (Shantae being one), and that her appeal to Japan is beginning to show through those artists.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
If this Famitsu poll is anything to go by, the popularity of veterans and classic characters outweigh possible newcomers.

Please try to ignore the fact that Miku made it onto the top 20 of this poll.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Though one has to question if it's enough. Isaac is apparently only "so so" popular in Japan and is neck and neck with K. Rool over here in the west. If his Japanese lukewarm reception is enough to damn him, things don't look so good for Shantae in my eyes.

Over in the K. Rool thread, we're currently speculating that Wolf will be the last returning veteran with up to 3 newcomers selected from the Ballot. Although it's not a guarantee, the Miiverse contests ending for Smash (Unity being the last one) signifies that Sakurai and co. are likely wrapping up their post launch content development. I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that King K. Rool and Isaac will be 2 of those 3. It remains to be seen if Shantae can take that last spot, assuming such a spot exists. It's all conjecture right now but "4", including Wolf, seems to be the magic number right now. More than 2, but less than 6 (which I personally feel are the absolute minimum and absolute maximum respectively)

Edit: PITTY PAT IS NUMBER 1!?!?

PITTO IS UP THERE TOO!?

Dat Kid Icarus Uprising!

And Palutena and Viridi...and? Waaaa?

WAAA!?

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
If this Famitsu poll is anything to go by, the popularity of veterans and classic characters outweigh possible newcomers.

Please try to ignore the fact that Miku made it onto this poll.
Why ignore Miku? She's literally the most loved character in Japan, she's practically Japan's "mascot".

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Why ignore Miku? She's literally the most loved character in Japan, she's practically Japan's "mascot".
The "Video Game characters only" argument that negates Goku, Shrek, etc.

Keeping in mind that Miku's origin is software for vocals.

Though one has to question if it's enough. Isaac is apparently only "so so" popular in Japan and is neck and neck with K. Rool over here in the west. If his Japanese lukewarm reception is enough to damn him, things don't look so good for Shantae in my eyes.

Over in the K. Rool thread, we're currently speculating that Wolf will be the last returning veteran with up to 3 newcomers selected from the Ballot. Although it's not a guarantee, the Miiverse contests ending for Smash (Unity being the last one) signifies that Sakurai and co. are likely wrapping up their post launch content development. I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that King K. Rool and Isaac will be 2 of those 3. It remains to be seen if Shantae can take that last spot, assuming such a spot exists. It's all conjecture right now but "4", including Wolf, seems to be the magic number right now. More than 2, but less than 6 (which I personally feel are the absolute minimum and absolute maximum respectively)

Edit: PITTY PAT IS NUMBER 1!?!?

PITTO IS UP THERE TOO!?

Dat Kid Icarus Uprising!

And Palutena and Viridi...and? Waaaa?

WAAA!?
Your icon fits your edited response too well

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
The "Video Game characters only" argument that negates Goku, Shrek, etc.

Keeping in mind that Miku's origin is software for vocals.

Your icon fits your edited response too well
If you're saying in terms of Smash, yeah, but she's still Japan's most loved icon, so it's not surprising people will still like her to show up in something like this. I'm not supporting her "addition" in the Famitsu poll or anything, but I'm just explaining why she's there and such.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
If you're saying in terms of Smash, yeah, but she's still Japan's most loved icon, so it's not surprising people will still like her to show up in something like this. I'm not supporting her "addition" in the Famitsu poll or anything, but I'm just explaining why she's there and such.
I know, I know, but still: I'm keeping Smash as the main subject.

Also Rin is best Vocaloid

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Mewtwo is in. So unless other DLC fighters like Ryu shows up, then Shantae in Mario Maker confirmed if she makes it in Smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom