• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I just remembered!

Nintendo has acknowledged Shantae
via a game before!

Remember WarioWare DIY for the DS? Matt Bozon made a Shantae microgame and had it featured in the "Big Name Games" section on the feature that allowed you to download Microgames others made.
I've actually made a reference to that in my moveset ideas with one of her victory animations

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I just remembered!

Nintendo has acknowledged Shantae
via a game before!

Remember WarioWare DIY for the DS? Matt Bozon made a Shantae microgame and had it featured in the "Big Name Games" section on the feature that allowed you to download Microgames others made.
The D.I.Y. game was actually the first time i've heard of Shantae and bit.trip. Too bad wi-fi connection is dead, since anyone who gets the game in the future won't be able to download it.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
SNAKE
CHANCE: 30.15%
WANT: 57.79%

SHANTAE
CHANCE: 13.40%
WANT: 41.56%
The former number 3 most wanted character is now no longer in the top 10....what happened? Next up we're rating the concepts of Brawl's Pirate Ship stage Smash Tour Updates. Also please predict what score Sturm from the "Wars" series and Dixie Kong will get tomorrow.
So, that's her new ratings... It's at a point I'm glad it's not really low, but, I'm believed it dropped a bit since the first time.

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
So, that's her new ratings... It's at a point I'm glad it's not really low, but, I'm believed it dropped a bit since the first time.
Well, that's disappointing...
Sort of expected, I guess, but disappointing.

Still, I suppose I can take some solace in the fact that this isn't official or anything, right?
Dat rage though... dat anti-Shantae rage...

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Yeah, that definitely wasn't the nicest of RTC days. Still, it made me realize what matters most is to keep supporting your character, regardless of what other people think their chances will be.

I feel the need to mention this since I vaguely touched this in RTC. I don't know about others here, but one of the bigger reasons I want Shantae in is because of WayForward themselves.

Some people say WF only pushes Shantae for Smash since the game would give her attention, but WF's proven their love for Smash long before this ballot even happened. (Example.) In reality, WF's wishes completely come from the desire to have their character battle alongside the mascots they themselves grew up with.

WayForward may be western, and indie, but that's not a reason it shouldn't happen; in fact, that's what would make an inclusion feel amazing. and as someone actually hoping to be a game developer, incredibly inspiring.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Wouldn't it be the darndest thing if Sakurai released a character to hold people over until the Ballot Winners were done being made, and that character was Shantae?

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
Guys, even the people on that thread said take it with a grain of salt. Almost everyone on that thread added bias. Whether it was for or against them. The only one that knows who's getting in is Sakurai and Nintendo. All we can do as fans is get her noticed and liked before the ballot ends. Popularity is key.

D

Deleted member

This topic should have never, ever, seen the day at the very beginning if I'm going to be honest.

I'm not against the idea to expose their thoughts about one character or another thing, but people on the Internet in general seem to forget that it has to be done with a certain tactfulness in order to avoid to offense people who can be sensitive on the subject.

I do think a Good/Medium/Bad rating should have been a better idea rather than a percentage or grade rating.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Wouldn't it be the darndest thing if Sakurai released a character to hold people over until the Ballot Winners were done being made, and that character was Shantae?
Honestly I can see that happening. Sakurai has the choice to choose when to release them now, or later. The only problem I'm worried is people screaming "why Shanate? Where's my character? I hate Sakurai's choice cause Shanate isn't in my top ten!"

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Honestly I can see that happening. Sakurai has the choice to choose when to release them now, or later. The only problem I'm worried is people screaming "why Shanate? Where's my character? I hate Sakurai's choice cause Shanate isn't in my top ten!"
IF people whine and cry, let them, it doesn't matter in the end. Like EVERY character ever to get into Smash, they suck it up and just like the character after everyone and their mommy goes "she's awesome!" "And of course goes "she was so deserving in Smash, I don't know who could have ever doubted her~" despite you were baisly saying she'd never make it period in Smash Bros. :glare:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I've stopped worrying at this point. If anything, I think her chances are higher than ever, and we may not even know it.

Between the IMDB incident (which could be an early leak, who knows!), Ken and Ko's recent liking towards the character, Matt finding an ad for Pirate's Curse in stores, and her mysterious absence in Runbow, despite 13AM games wanting her in, who knows.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
This topic should have never, ever, seen the day at the very beginning if I'm going to be honest.

I'm not against the idea to expose their thoughts about one character or another thing, but people on the Internet in general seem to forget that it has to be done with a certain tactfulness in order to avoid to offense people who can be sensitive on the subject.

I do think a Good/Medium/Bad rating should have been a better idea rather than a percentage or grade rating.
The RTC thread seems like a good idea on paper, but when you remember that it's purely a Smashboards thing, all it ends up as in practice is the voices and opinions of a single community being put up for judgment - a big community, granted, but still one community. It's nothing more than a glorified ballot poll like so many before it, just with a new lick of paint.

If you want to judge a character, it's best done in the corresponding character thread where you'll actually get some straight answers from knowledgeable supporters, not with a bunch of ignorants doing their best impression of white noise.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
The RTC thread seems like a good idea on paper, but when you remember that it's purely a Smashboards thing, all it ends up as in practice is the voices and opinions of a single community being put up for judgment - a big community, granted, but still one community. It's nothing more than a glorified ballot poll like so many before it, just with a new lick of paint.

If you want to judge a character, it's best done in the corresponding character thread where you'll actually get some straight answers from knowledgeable supporters, not with a bunch of ignorants doing their best impression of white noise.
Better yet, make a legitimate reason.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Oh, this is in Japanese....but I thought Japan didn't know or appealed to Shantae...

Oh wait...
Watch her reach Touhou and Kantai Collection levels of popularity among the Japanese geek community when the DLC comes out and the games finally make it to Japan.

Nintendo and Wayforward will be pulling Scrooge McDucks.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I imagine Shantae would look like this if she appeared in her own Anime series. It looks awesome. :D. I'd show that to Wayforward/Matt Bozon at some point on Twitter. He must see it. :p
A manga (or official american comic) starring Shantae could be pretty cool. The diversity of her friends and enemies could provide a great comedy.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
And guess what guys? Who is used as a portrait for the Best Sellers option on the WII U eShop Home?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
And guess what guys? Who is used as a portrait for the Best Sellers option on the WII U eShop Home?
She's been there for a while.

And has been on there 25+ times.
If Wii Fit and Animal Crossing's high sales are apparently the main factor to putting :4wiifit: and :4villager: in Smash, Shantae better be coming.

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
I imagine Shantae would look like this if she appeared in her own Anime series. It looks awesome. :D. I'd show that to Wayforward/Matt Bozon at some point on Twitter. He must see it. :p
If she did had an anime, I wonder what animation studio would be worthy enough to make it. Of course I'd watch it anyway but still.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I dunno how likely it'll happen, but I would love to see Shantae get her own animated television series as well

If she did had an anime, I wonder what animation studio would be worthy enough to make it. Of course I'd watch it anyway but still.
Maybe the same studio that animated either Kill La Kill or Nichijou?

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, it's funny. I swear I've seen somewhere that WayFoward had intended for Shantae to have an animated series sometime around the release of her first game, but things didn't work out as WF had hoped, and they dropped the idea.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
You know, it's funny. I swear I've seen somewhere that WayFoward had intended for Shantae to have an animated series sometime around the release of her first game, but things didn't work out as WF had hoped, and they dropped the idea.
They also put animated cutscenes as a stretch goal on the kickstarter, but we didn't pass it.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
In all seriousness, an animated Shantae series would be cool, even if it was something like a couple of 5 minute shorts.

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
I dunno how likely it'll happen, but I would love to see Shantae get her own animated television series as well

Maybe the same studio that animated either Kill La Kill or Nichijou?
Interesting. I wonder what kind of story it will have. Will it follow the story of the first three games (four assuming Half-Genie Hero) or an entirely new story. Personally I'd like to see a recreation of the game's story.

Actually I wouldn't mind them

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Interesting. I wonder what kind of story it will have. Will it follow the story of the first three games (four assuming Half-Genie Hero) or an entirely new story. Personally I'd like to see a recreation of the game's story.
I could see a combination of both adapting the game's stories and original stories as well, there's already a lot of potential for stories in the Shantae universe, this will also help develop the characters a lot more as well

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
I could see a combination of both adapting the game's stories and original stories as well, there's already a lot of potential for stories in the Shantae universe, this will also help develop the characters a lot more as well
Plus, Matt Bozon himself has storyboarded whole cartoon episodes of Shantae to keep the characters fresh in his mind. So if Wayforward could afford it, there would be quite a bit of episodes right there. And I would totally watch it!

Top Bottom