• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Alright guys, its time to rerate Shantae so go ahead and rate her chances.
http://smashboards.com/threads/rate...ion-day-125-snake-and-shantae.398604/page-242
Oh boy... Here comes the constant 0-10%'s from pretty much all the posters on that Rerate forum. ._. (Yes, they do have mostly acceptable reasons as to why they don't want Shantae, but I have a bad feeling that she'll have a lower score then she did before the rerate. She really does not deserve those 0-10%'s :().

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Oh boy... Here comes the constant 0-10%'s from pretty much all the posters on that Rerate forum. ._. (Yes, they do have mostly acceptable reasons as to why they don't want Shantae, but I have a bad feeling that she'll have a lower score then she did before the rerate. She really does not deserve those 0-10%'s :().
I'm sure Villager and Wii Fit Trainer got 0-10s.

but guess what

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター

but guess what
I mean, yeah... But the Villager would of done better then the Wii Fit Trainer (specifically because Villager was planned for Brawl and dropped due to him not being suited for battle by Sakurai). The thing is, nobody expected at the time for the Wii Fit Trainer to be a character, so she would of been a 0-10% no matter what.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I mean, yeah... But the Villager would of done better then the Wii Fit Trainer (specifically because Villager was planned for Brawl and dropped due to him not being suited for battle by Sakurai). The thing is, nobody expected at the time for the Wii Fit Trainer to be a character, so she would of been a 0-10% no matter what.
And, well, this is DLC character choices, where this comparison doesn't really make sense to make, imo. But still, no matter what, it's up to Sakurai mostly to see what happens with Shantae.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
And, well, this is DLC character choices, where this comparison doesn't really make sense to make, imo. But still, no matter what, it's up to Sakurai mostly to see what happens with Shantae.
That's the thing about Sakurai.

Surprises.

Little Mac was an assist trophy, nobody expected him to become a fighter.

The rule was originally that one character per third party could be in Smash. Capcom got Mega Man and Ryu in Smash.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Look what I managed to find a standalone version of:

(well I wouldn't say "managed" as it was easier to find than I thought but still)

I don't really know if that's really possible in a full suit of armor, but who am I to question logic in a video game where a shovel is able to take down numerous enemies and bosses

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I really don't wanna even bother with that thread. It's literally "if I hate the character, it has low chances. But here's a character I like and it has the highest chance ever!"
Some of them are also trying to predict Sakurai's thought process, like claiming he thinks she's not important enough, still using the obscure argument, and also not remembering that Sakurai said this ballot is fanservice.

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
It was announced by Nintendo back in March, but we're waiting for a release date right now its planned for Q3 2015.
http://nintendoeverything.com/upcom...ad-and-shantae-riskys-revenge-for-wii-u-more/
Ahh, I see. I guess i'll buy it when it hits the japanese eshop in that case. Something about English to Japanese translations amuse me.

but guess what
The game didn't exist then, but the best comparison would be Robin and Lucina before they were suddenly revealed. Most non FE players rated them 0%-5%, while most fans of the game/characters would at least rate over 10% chance, some even going beyond 40% chances for the characters. They may have been looked at as being "biased", but in the end they were right, and further proved you can never completely predict Sakurai :denzel: Hopfully we'll see similiar happen for Shantae.

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
People keep forgetting that this ballot is about fan service. Sakurai's "3rd party iconic rule" was thrown right out of the window when this ballot was made since it only calls in one rule: the character needs to originate from a video game.

Iconic =/= Want

I might know a certain character for a longer time than Shantae and I might have liked/loved their game but that doesn't automatically mean I want that certain character in over Shantae.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How I'm feeling now.

I wish for them to be very careful on their arguments.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Look what I managed to find a standalone version of:

(well I wouldn't say "managed" as it was easier to find than I thought but still)

I don't really know if that's really possible in a full suit of armor, but who am I to question logic in a video game where a shovel is able to take down numerous enemies and bosses
A shovel, along with other gear?

Pfft, what a noob.

Ol Mc'Duck did the same with a cane.

And he's old!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well guys I am making 2 videos on Youtube. Both dedicated to #Shantae4Smash

These videos are one 4 player and 8 player Smash using only my Palutena(Athena) Amiibo and 3(or 7) level 9 CPU's. I will put the link to the video once I is finished converting and uploaded. I will let you all know when it uploads. So please enjoy and give a like/comment

#Shantae4Smash

EDIT: All characters are females to show support to Shantae lol.

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
While I understand that the concept of being "indie" constantly makes people assume that it's up and game over forever and ever for some characters, none of them seem to bring up the fact that being indie also makes you buttloads less expensive to licence to use in another's game. With Smash it's practically a guaranteed profit if you take in Shantae's 3 other games on the system that would inevitably be bought with her inclusion. (And the fourth that will come to Wii U and whatnot, but still)

Edit: Uh, also, hi I'm new here. Might as well add me to the shantae support I guess.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
While I understand that the concept of being "indie" constantly makes people assume that it's up and game over forever and ever for some characters, none of them seem to bring up the fact that being indie also makes you buttloads less expensive to licence to use in another's game. With Smash it's practically a guaranteed profit if you take in Shantae's 3 other games on the system that would inevitably be bought with her inclusion. (And the fourth that will come to Wii U and whatnot, but still)

Edit: Uh, also, hi I'm new here. Might as well add me to the shantae support I guess.
As one of the few members currently here(that are new as well lol). I like to welcome you to this part of the SMash community. Remember that our # is........

#SHANTAE4SMASH

So welcome to the group.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
You'd think that, from a business standpoint, Nintendo would also want a character to promote the eShop, or their downloadable services in general.

Risky's Revenge and some of Wayforward's other titles were the highest-rated and best selling games on DSiWare, with IGN considering RR "One of, if not the best, games you can get for your DSi." And how many times has Pirate's Curse been on the "Best Sellers" list on the eShop?

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
You'd think that, from a business standpoint, Nintendo would also want a character to promote the eShop, or their downloadable services in general.

Risky's Revenge and some of Wayforward's other titles were the highest-rated and best selling games on DSiWare, and how many times has Pirate's Curse been on the "Best Sellers" list on the eShop?
I lost count after 25 lol.

But it is true, Shantae is THE best Indie representation for Smash DLC.

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Everybody in that thread keeps clamoring to say that Shantae shouldn't be in because she "hasn't made a big impact" or something in the video game market or something.

I don't know, the reason why I think dsiware got anywhere it was is because Shantae: Risky's Revenge came out and people realized: "Oh wow, there are games on that service." I mean, it's certainly the game that got me into other games in the shop, and it paved the way for the eshop so eh?

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Everybody in that thread keeps clamoring to say that Shantae shouldn't be in because she "hasn't made a big impact" or something in the video game market or something.

I don't know, the reason why I think dsiware got anywhere it was is because Shantae: Risky's Revenge came out and people realized: "Oh wow, there are games on that service." I mean, it's certainly the game that got me into other games in the shop, and it paved the way for the eshop so eh?
That's really digging for a "hate" excuse.

What impact has Punch-Out made in gaming? There has been tons of Boxing games before.

What impact did Ice Climbers make? 2 Player co-op has been a thing for years.

What impact did Kid Icarus make, excluding the pain Uprising left on your hands trying to control it?

I lost count after 25 lol.

But it is true, Shantae is THE best Indie representation for Smash DLC.
Nintendo promoting stuff via Smash isn't new, considering that the only reason :4lucas: and :4ness: are in Smash to promote Mother 3, with the one that got Ness in being cancelled and one that got Lucas in selling very poorly.

Not to mention that :4greninja: and :4feroy: were put in Smash (development-wise) long before they were even in a game themselves.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
From the rates thread.

SHANTAE
Chance: 40%
Want: 100%

I mean, yeah, you can slap the "indie" title on her and pretend that's an instant ban from winning. But... okay? Why? Indies are cheap, practically dirt cheap if you compare them to other companies mascots. Have you seen Runbow? It's got nothing but indies licenced and it's probably going to still turn up a profit. Nintendo even were the ones who helped the developers get the characters! Many people underestimate how hard Nintendo's pushing for more Indie support on their systems.

Okay, besides Indie not really being a bad thing, what does she have going for her?

Here's the thing. Everybody thinks it's just Shantae. It's not. It's Wayforward. A bunch of people are saying that she hasn't made a big enough impact in the gaming department, okay. What if Shantae was never on DsiWare? I'm serious. And it also goes back to Wayforward. You can't swing a dead cat around in both the Dsiware shop and the Eshop without getting a best seller or highest rated Wayforward game. I would make a reasonable argument and say that the reason the DsiWare got popular is because of those games. Wayforward raised the bar so high on the Dsi that nobody beat them until Dsi games were put next to Eshop titles. Without Wayforward's support the online stores would not be the thing it is today, dead serious.

Anyway, she's the poster child of both the Dsiware and the Eshop (to the point of literally being advertised in stores in Nintendo... booths? In stores either way), have highly successful games critically and financially for the DS's, is an "indie" character that has a guaranteed future with another game coming (from a kickstarter that got twice as much money as Shovel Knight), fits with the more colorful style of 4, Wayforward's dedication to Nintendo ever since 2002, the fact that she's an actual female protagonist of her own in the ballot I mean come on (Sorry, just don't want DLC to be male centric from beginning to end.), the darker skin is a nice bonus and character distinguisher, is known by several bigwigs in Japan so I assume she's a low key parallel to Earthbound at least, most importantly has a very nice potential for moveset actually, her 3 games on the eshop + Wayforward's other independently made games is a cash grab waiting to happen, and is clearly popular enough in the gaming department if we're still. talking. about her. Any other indie character is immediately less likely than Shantae. No ifs, ands, or buts.
This. Period.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Next #Shantae4Smash Battle(8 Player Smash!!)

Palutena, Peach, Rosalina & Luma, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, Lucina, Robin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIcPlSsDpyA

The ending is a literal homerun lol.

Hope you all enjoy. And please if you want more #Shantae4Smash Battle videos then please inform me. But make sure it is a short request because the video can only last for 3 minutes(max)

#SHANTAE4SMASH FTW!!!!

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

:colorful::starman:Welcome to the Group!:starman::colorful:
And added to the new supporters list.
@ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8 Whenever you get the chance please update the support list with these new supporters. Sorry for keep mentioning you.

Mighty Minotaur
Felix_the_Slayer
LittleToys
Creativion
Fralex
Kevandre
Pyrofishy
DaemonDD
MachRider94
Solo Bolo
DarkAura64
Jasae Bushae
NateCurtis(NJC)
GoldLiger
Black-magic13
ThePsychoWolf
Midnight Twinkle
conTAgi0n
taoxadasa
ScatmansWorld25
Mental Surge
DiagonalSpy07
B.H. and DD
NintendoPowaa
Dani l
Wademan94
Lord Sturm
TheRickyWill
Quarium
GP2
BoltDragon
SpiritofSpeed
RosaPeach
TheTaoDragon
DoctorSanity

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Shantae's Half-Genie Hero animations continue to be some of the cutest things I've even seen in a video game.
They're so appealing and absolutely adorable that you know she'll end up popular in Japan if she becomes Smash DLC.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Shantae's Half-Genie Hero animations continue to be some of the cutest things I've even seen in a video game.
They're so appealing and absolutely adorable that you know she'll end up popular in Japan if she becomes Smash DLC.
All it needs is for WayForward to provide Sakurai with their best version of Shantae to fit in the Smash world. It would choose either Pirate's Curse version or Half-Genie Hero versions of Shantae.

Which version do you believe WayForward would get behind?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
All it needs is for WayForward to provide Sakurai with their best version of Shantae to fit in the Smash world. It would choose either Pirate's Curse version or Half-Genie Hero versions of Shantae.

Like Mega Man, probably a model based on the in-game sprites of Advance, Risky's Revenge, and Pirate's Curse.

Which does look somewhat like how she looks in Half-Genie Hero.

Huh.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413

If you're talking about art style then most likely a blend of old and new. If you're talking about moveset potential then HGH. Here's a moveset idea that I helped make: http://twinkledoodle.deviantart.com/art/Shantae-s-Moveset-553081363

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
My Shantae moveset:

:GCB:
Standard B = Fireball
Side B = Monkey claw (Shantae quickly turns into a monkey, dashing to the side, and attacking the opponent when she reaches them)
Down B = Super Pike Ball (Like Mega Man's leaf shield, but she instead holds onto it for a limited time.)
Up P = Harpy (Shantae turns into a harpy, dashing in any direction you point the analog stick)

:GCA:
Standard A (Ground, crouching, and air)= Hair Whip
Side A (Ground and air, forward and back)= Fighter Gear Cuff (Elbow Dash)
Side Smash = Punch (Shantae Advance)
Up A (Ground and air) = Upwards hair whip
Up Smash= Fighter Gear boot (Spin kick)
Down A (Air)= Scimitar
Tilts = ... I've got nothing.

Taunts = Dances

Dodge animation = Backdash

Jumps:
First - Standard Jump
Second - Cannon

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
That is, word for word, exactly why I want Shantae for Smash.
I salute you, random thread poster.
Uh, actually that was me.

Anyway, does anybody find the idea of just Bird Manning it up and making all her transformations sprite attacks make sense? Wayforward is practically renown for their pixel art in the games. After all Shantae for GBC is fantastic for when it came out and all they did was get better as time went on. It would certainly save time and money instead of making different models.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice

Imagine a scream of boundless fury and rage in the above picture and you will have my reaction to the current state of the RTC thread.

-No Japanese Fanbase: Um, no? The exposure Shantae has been getting has been stirring up the East more and more. The creator of Rhythm Heaven even did a fanart of her, which was a surprise to many and is going to get people asking, and at least two of the Shantae games are getting localized. Her Japanese following most definitely exists and is getting stronger.
-Quieting Fanbase: Yes, someone in the RTC thread (I will not name him/her) actually said this. And it's totally false; Shantae's fanbase in both the East and the West have been getting bigger and louder by the day. Take a quick stroll on places DeviantArt or Miiverse (especially Miiverse) and you'll find new Smash hype for Shantae from new people almost daily. They are far from quieting.
-Indie Stigma: Once again, people are judging a book by its cover and assume that just because she's not Nintendo means she has a snowball's chance in hell, some going so far as to 1) preface their argument using "Indie" as the main negative, or 2) just say "Indie" and that's it. We hear it all the time, we get it, now shut up about it please. Putting together reasons against a character is fine, but for God's sake, at least present a well-done argument before tainting it with original sin!

I was really hoping that after a few re-rates people would've looked more closely at Shantae and saw her merits in a kinder light. Oh well.

EDIT: Image Source in case anyone is curious (turn your bloody speakers down)

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Wait, how does that last one relate to Shantae?
I thought it was Shantae herself, but now I noticed it's like a fusion of both her and Dark Magician Girl.

EDIT: Oops, actually, it's not even Shantae, I just thought it was because of the hair...my bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom