• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I love how "Indie" is an accepted argument against Shantae, but Banjo & Kazooie belonging to the second party company of one of Nintendo's current competitors in the console market isn't.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
I love how "Indie" is an accepted argument against Shantae, but Banjo & Kazooie belonging to the second party company of one of Nintendo's current competitors in the console market isn't.
Not to mention that the company in question was once one of Nintendo's most valuable assets, but sold out to MoneySoft.

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Eh, that seems somewhat like a cop-out though. I mean I would imagine the Monkey, Elephant, and Harpy would be part of her base moveset, at least Greninja's Final Smash is it's own move as opposed to being a reuse of an existing one.
If they were going to do her transformations in a satisfying way, the only way I can think of that would actually work well and not seem clunky and weird would be if down b were dance, and releasing it during the right move would result in a different transformation, just like in Risky's Revenge. Then she stays transformed as that animal for a set duration, like Shulk's monado. As that animal she would have maybe one or two moves, and some special properties (elephant is heavy and powerful but can barely jump, for example). The problem is that 3DS can't handle transformations, so that concept is out I think.

I don't think immediately transforming for a single attack and then transforming back immediately would work very well at all. It's not really true to the source and it would have to be laggy as hell. What happens if she gets hit out of a transformation move by a higher priority move? Does she just instantly transform back when the hit registers? I think that would be kind of weird. However her transformations do need to be included in some form, and the final boss of Risky's Revenge provides a perfect example of how her transformations could be a kickass final smash. Make her cycle through that final boss's different transformation attacks and you have a really solid and cool final smash. That's my two cents anyway.

I've seen lots of people say that Banjo Kazooie doesn't have a chance because of Microsoft owning the rights. That's thrown at him a lot actually. In fact I'd say that kind of dominates the discussion of him. BK is a weird candidate because overall you don't see him discussed that much, and when you do, the discussion doesn't usually go in his favor. Plus on a lot of polls he does mediocre at best. But then sometimes he does awesome in the polls, and looks like a top 3 most popular character. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I personally don't think he's at all likely to make it in.

Ok, So the poll is now accurate and so far Shantae is in the lead with King K. Rool just a little behind her.
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll395154xD2B5C2B5-15
Those results are with all the spam votes removed? That's awesome news! Those numbers look very promising.
Are you sure the link is right there? When I go there it just redirects me to the main page.

Thanks! I'll definitely keep this in mind for later on. I'm sorry I kinda lost it there in the end. It just came to the point where he was definitely repeating himself and making himself look really foolish, and it was starting to absolutely get on my last nerve. So I really just wanted to get the "Shut up, you lose" point across. Unfortunately, he, as you said, is not that type that can be reasoned with. I do normally try to be as polite as possible, but that just wasn't an option with this guy. Anyways, thank you guys so much for backing me up! I'm glad I can have you guys to fall back on when things get rocky.
Don't worry, you did great. Getting a little sharp with someone when it is clear they are just being a **** is fine. It doesn't look bad at all at that point. Besides the first couple responses are the most important, since most people won't read past that anyway. And most of all, what matters is that you responded to him, and now anyone scrolling through those comments won't be able to see his negativity without also seeing you call him out on it. That means that instead of walking away with the impression that Shantae is popular but unrealistic, they will just see some asshole starting an argument on YouTube about a popular character. Thanks for fighting the good fight man.

Just a heads up to the Shantae fans that are voting on this poll
http://www.poll-maker.com/poll395154xD2B5C2B5-15

While you can vote only once per IP, votes are able to go through if you fake your ip. That said, we can still view votes from the same computer and location, and its getting A LOT of fake votes. For example, somebody voted for Shantae 27 times on the same computer with different IPs. (Another 12 times, and another 7 times) So far she has 69 votes and 43 of them are duplicates! These votes will not be counted.

Please, I encourage Shantae fans to vote and spread the poll around, but don't cheat! It skews the results, and will only create false expectations.

For example:

I censored all the private bits, but as you can see for example, this person voted 20 times for Shantae from the same location and device. 0% of these votes are invalid because they are all using different IPs.
Question for you: usually on these online polls, after I vote once, I try voting again just to see if it will let me. I don't do anything fancy to hide my IP, I just reload the poll page and try voting again. Your poll allowed me to do this, but you say it actually is IP protected. Does that mean that my second vote just replaced the first vote? Or did I somehow register as a spam voter and get my first vote invalidated? Also thanks a ton for running this poll, I think it is a valuable service and the work you put into managing it is certainly appreciated. It sounds like you've already removed the junk responses already, so I'm relieved to see that Shantae's success wasn't all due to just a few cheaters.

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Again, due to Wayforward's massive amount of skill in their pixel art, throwing their hands up in the hands in the air, stating "**** it" loudly, and making all her transformation attacks be pixel models like the bird man on the 3ds could work.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Question for you: usually on these online polls, after I vote once, I try voting again just to see if it will let me. I don't do anything fancy to hide my IP, I just reload the poll page and try voting again. Your poll allowed me to do this, but you say it actually is IP protected. Does that mean that my second vote just replaced the first vote? Or did I somehow register as a spam voter and get my first vote invalidated? Also thanks a ton for running this poll, I think it is a valuable service and the work you put into managing it is certainly appreciated. It sounds like you've already removed the junk responses already, so I'm relieved to see that Shantae's success wasn't all due to just a few cheaters.
Its one vote per IP, but you can change your vote as much as you want. So if you vote for Wolf, and then vote for Krystal, she will get the vote, but Wolf will lose his vote.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
If they were going to do her transformations in a satisfying way, the only way I can think of that would actually work well and not seem clunky and weird would be if down b were dance, and releasing it during the right move would result in a different transformation, just like in Risky's Revenge. Then she stays transformed as that animal for a set duration, like Shulk's monado. As that animal she would have maybe one or two moves, and some special properties (elephant is heavy and powerful but can barely jump, for example). The problem is that 3DS can't handle transformations, so that concept is out I think.

I don't think immediately transforming for a single attack and then transforming back immediately would work very well at all. It's not really true to the source and it would have to be laggy as hell. What happens if she gets hit out of a transformation move by a higher priority move? Does she just instantly transform back when the hit registers? I think that would be kind of weird. However her transformations do need to be included in some form, and the final boss of Risky's Revenge provides a perfect example of how her transformations could be a kickass final smash. Make her cycle through that final boss's different transformation attacks and you have a really solid and cool final smash. That's my two cents anyway.
Mind if I give my thoughts on this? I respect your opinion, and I do agree with you on the first point, but on the second point, (look on page 112 for my moveset to see how I incorporated it) I dunno if it'll be easy, but I think it could be done, Pac-Man (and to an extent Sonic) is capable of changing into a different form and back for some of his attacks and can instantly change back when he's hit by a stronger attack. I could be wrong, and I'm still trying to learn the technicals of all this, but I think if the animal forms were the right size, I don't think hitboxes would be too much of an issue. From a character standpoint, the way Shantae uses the Pirate gear aside from it's intended purpose, aside from the gun, like the cannon for multiple jumps, the hat to glide, how she adapts them to explore the environment as a temporary stand-in for her transformations, I don't think it'd be implausible for her to adapt her forms to use for attacks in Smash. Finally Smash Bros. doesn't always adapt moves exactly from the source, they're incorporated because they reflect the character and series, but are adapted for use in a fighting game (Mario's Cape, Jigglypuff's Rest, Mewtwo's Disable, Shulk's Monado Arts and Visions, etc.).

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Mind if I give my thoughts on this? I respect your opinion, and I do agree with you on the first point, but on the second point, (look on page 112 for my moveset to see how I incorporated it) I dunno if it'll be easy, but I think it could be done, Pac-Man (and to an extent Sonic) is capable of changing into a different form and back for some of his attacks and can instantly change back when he's hit by a stronger attack. I could be wrong, and I'm still trying to learn the technicals of all this, but I think if the animal forms were the right size, I don't think hitboxes would be too much of an issue. From a character standpoint, the way Shantae uses the Pirate gear aside from it's intended purpose, aside from the gun, like the cannon for multiple jumps, the hat to glide, how she adapts them to explore the environment as a temporary stand-in for her transformations, I don't think it'd be implausible for her to adapt her forms to use for attacks in Smash. Finally Smash Bros. doesn't always adapt moves exactly from the source, they're incorporated because they reflect the character and series, but are adapted for use in a fighting game (Mario's Cape, Jigglypuff's Rest, Mewtwo's Disable, Shulk's Monado Arts and Visions, etc.).
I simply used her transformations as taunts. Although if they are used correctly I suppose they could work as attacks. If y'all want my whole thought on her moveset go here: http://twinkledoodle.deviantart.com/art/Shantae-s-Moveset-553081363

(I know most of you are probably getting tired of me lol)

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I simply used her transformations as taunts. Although if they are used correctly I suppose they could work as attacks. If y'all want my whole thought on her moveset go here: http://twinkledoodle.deviantart.com/art/Shantae-s-Moveset-553081363

(I know most of you are probably getting tired of me lol)
Yeah you've shown me your moveset before, it actually caused me to change up the taunts in my own moveset as well, (which I have updated on page 112) I have it so the directions on the D-Pad or whatever taunts are on different controllers so it matches up with at least the dances done on the D-Pad of the Game Boy Color game

(BTW, I swear those sprites were much smaller when I pulled them off the Shantae wiki)

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
MSF academy is a version of Mighty Switch Force that supports up to 4 players at the same time, most likely co-op and competitive.

Most likely coming to Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One.

Last edited:

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
you know the result in those polls look great for Shantae! but... I don't think this is an accurate smash ballot protrayal. Seeing how most people voting for the ballot aren't very familair with Shantae. It would be amaizng to see her in though!

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I drew another drawing of Shantae which is kinda special as it's my 695th drawing of the year and it's a part of the numbered palette challenge on tumblr, the palette I used is 200 which are 5 fierce shades of red hope you guys like it ! And yes 6-9-5 I'm a big guy who LOVES to draw stuff day by day

200 Shantae.PNG

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
you know the result in those polls look great for Shantae! but... I don't think this is an accurate smash ballot protrayal. Seeing how most people voting for the ballot aren't very familair with Shantae. It would be amaizng to see her in though!
That might seem natural to assume, but it's actually not so obvious. On discussion sites like this, we are prone to overestimate the scope of the ballot. It's not like Nintendo mailed flyers about it to everyone on the planet after all, so the more casual Nintendo fans that some people assume are dominating the results probably haven't even heard of the ballot, for the most part. This aligns with my personal experience - of all the people I've talked to, most gamers who have played smash but aren't super into it hadn't even heard of the ballot months after it was announced, and don't seem interested enough to vote even now that I've mentioned it to them. Also remember that the Wii U never sold like the Wii, so there aren't legions of super casual gamers on the Wii U like there were on the Wii.

Especially in this day and age when everybody is online, it's much more likely that the majority of people who follow Smash closely enough to know about the ballot have at least encountered discussion of the ballot and lists of the most popular candidates somewhere on the web, whether Miiverse, YouTube, Nintendo news sites, or online forums like this one. Since Shantae is such a regularly discussed candidate, I don't think it's a stretch to say that she is probably quite well-known among potential ballot voters by now.

Of course, we don't know anything for certain about the demographics of the ballot voters, so to argue that she is or is not well-known among potential ballot voters is kind of speculative. Pretty much the only evidence we have is online polls like this, which have consistently placed her as one of the most popular candidates for a while now.

Long story short, online polls like this should trump our gut feelings about who is well-known amongst voters, rather than the other way around.

I drew another drawing of Shantae which is kinda special as it's my 695th drawing of the year and it's a part of the numbered palette challenge on tumblr, the palette I used is 200 which are 5 fierce shades of red hope you guys like it ! And yes 6-9-5 I'm a big guy who LOVES to draw stuff day by day

That reminds me of the red palate swap from the second dungeon of the first Shantae game, where she had to become red or blue to move through different parts of the dungeon. Any chance that's what you were going for, or is it just happy coincidence?

Also, I'm curious what people's rationale is behind thinking that Shantae got a worse portrayal in Pirate's Curse. I'm usually sensitive to those sorts of things, but I didn't notice. Shantae makes some pretty dunderheaded mistakes in all three games. She has a bubbly personality in all the games, but is also spunky and strong in all of them too. Pirate's Curse was at times a little more fan servicey than I'd like, but I don't see how the portrayal of her was substantially different. Teaming up with Risky didn't seem dumb or naive to me. She's not the first protagonist to team up with the bad guy out of necessity, nor the first to insist on seeing good in them where no one else did. Can anyone shine some light on what the complaints are?

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
Long story short, online polls like this should trump our gut feelings about who is well-known amongst voters, rather than the other way around.
While this is true.. there is a problem with that.. because the top character (apart from K.Rool) seems to chance very few weeks

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Also, I'm curious what people's rationale is behind thinking that Shantae got a worse portrayal in Pirate's Curse. I'm usually sensitive to those sorts of things, but I didn't notice. Shantae makes some pretty dunderheaded mistakes in all three games. She has a bubbly personality in all the games, but is also spunky and strong in all of them too. Pirate's Curse was at times a little more fan servicey than I'd like, but I don't see how the portrayal of her was substantially different. Teaming up with Risky didn't seem dumb or naive to me. She's not the first protagonist to team up with the bad guy out of necessity, nor the first to insist on seeing good in them where no one else did. Can anyone shine some light on what the complaints are?
I literally have no idea. None of the characters or their relationships have really changed.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Look on Pirate's Curse's Miiverse page if you want to see the full extent, you'll be able to find it pretty easily,

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So Run Run Bodywash has over 75k views, meaning more exposure for Shantae (weird/funny exposure is better than no exposure).

All we need is Duane & Brando to do a rap based on the GBC game.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
While this is true.. there is a problem with that.. because the top character (apart from K.Rool) seems to chance very few weeks
You raise a really interesting point there. Based on online polls, the top characters have varied somewhat over time. However it hasn't been in a random, flavor of the month sort of way. Some the top characters have been pretty stable, others have declined as the ballot has gone on, and at least one has made big strides as the ballot has progressed. There is substantial variation from poll to poll, but overall, the top of the list tends to stay fairly consistent, with predictable trends over time. I was once planning to make a big post analyzing these trends over several different polls, but I no longer have time for that, so instead I'll give you some of my informal observations:

Stable characters:
K. Rool: almost every character has at least moderate variation in placement from poll to poll, except K. Rool. K. Rool has been dominant ever since the very beginning, usually coming in at #1, sometimes coming in at #2, and only occasionally placing below there.

Isaac: Isaac has not placed as well or as consistently as K. Rool, but he has been doing very well for a long time. I almost put him in the rising category, since if anything he seems to be getting stronger over time, but if he's risen, the rise hasn't been dramatic or clear. One of the most successful candidates, sometimes takes #1, frequently takes #2 or #3, often enough places lower than that but is always a threat on every poll.

Snake: Snake has always been high placing and he still is. Not a whole lot more to say here.

Declining characters:
Shovel Knight: definitely the most obvious example of this. Shovel Knight was king of the ballot at the beginning, but the hype for him has died down. Like every top character, he still puts in a decent showing, but he's definitely not at the very top like he used to be.

Banjo Kazooie: BK still seems volatile, but you rarely see him come out on top anymore. Almost all of his really good placings came around or fairly shortly after the Phil Spencer tweet saying he could see him in Smash. Every now and then BK still puts in a strong showing, and like Shovel Knight he always does at least decently, but he doesn't look like a top 3-5 character anymore, which he did close to the beginning.

Rising characters:
Shantae: She's the only one I can think of who really fits the bill for rising, but wow does she ever. Her rise has been sustained and dramatic, almost a reverse Shovel Knight. At the beginning, she placed like Shovel Knight does now - decently, but not top of the heap. As the months wore on though, she started placing consistently top 10, then top 5, and now top 3. Even I have a hard time believing she's gotten that high up there, but the numbers don't lie, and this has held true across multiple polls and several weeks now. In recent weeks she has had a lot of #2 placements, a few #1 placements, and some #3 placements as well.

All the rest vary, and while there are many other strong candidates, none of them seem to ever be mega top tier like the ones previously mentioned. I considered Wolf for rising since I have the vague impression that people are getting less complacent about assuming he'll make it anyway, but the poll numbers don't quite justify it. Inklings have always done fairly well, and are maybe the most successful ballot candidate I didn't mention here. I don't usually see them crack the top 3 though.

The thing to take away from this though is that despite the polls not being ideal statistical measures, the ballot leaders are not as volatile as they appear to be. A couple have declined, one has risen, and a few have just always been on top, but a clear top tier has emerged. What gets more volatile and fuzzy is everything outside this top tier, but even then there is a fairly short list of big names that are always shuffling around: Inklings, Bandana Dee, Krystal, Paper Mario, and Wolf off the top of my head form the majority of this high tier.

It's a good point that things have varied, but it's far from an unpredictable mess one week to the next. The patterns are there and the frontrunners are emerging.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
You raise a really interesting point there. Based on online polls, the top characters have varied somewhat over time. However it hasn't been in a random, flavor of the month sort of way. Some the top characters have been pretty stable, others have declined as the ballot has gone on, and at least one has made big strides as the ballot has progressed. There is substantial variation from poll to poll, but overall, the top of the list tends to stay fairly consistent, with predictable trends over time. I was once planning to make a big post analyzing these trends over several different polls, but I no longer have time for that, so instead I'll give you some of my informal observations:

Stable characters:
K. Rool: almost every character has at least moderate variation in placement from poll to poll, except K. Rool. K. Rool has been dominant ever since the very beginning, usually coming in at #1, sometimes coming in at #2, and only occasionally placing below there.

Isaac: Isaac has not placed as well or as consistently as K. Rool, but he has been doing very well for a long time. I almost put him in the rising category, since if anything he seems to be getting stronger over time, but if he's risen, the rise hasn't been dramatic or clear. One of the most successful candidates, sometimes takes #1, frequently takes #2 or #3, often enough places lower than that but is always a threat on every poll.

Snake: Snake has always been high placing and he still is. Not a whole lot more to say here.

Declining characters:
Shovel Knight: definitely the most obvious example of this. Shovel Knight was king of the ballot at the beginning, but the hype for him has died down. Like every top character, he still puts in a decent showing, but he's definitely not at the very top like he used to be.

Banjo Kazooie: BK still seems volatile, but you rarely see him come out on top anymore. Almost all of his really good placings came around or fairly shortly after the Phil Spencer tweet saying he could see him in Smash. Every now and then BK still puts in a strong showing, and like Shovel Knight he always does at least decently, but he doesn't look like a top 3-5 character anymore, which he did close to the beginning.

Rising characters:
Shantae: She's the only one I can think of who really fits the bill for rising, but wow does she ever. Her rise has been sustained and dramatic, almost a reverse Shovel Knight. At the beginning, she placed like Shovel Knight does now - decently, but not top of the heap. As the months wore on though, she started placing consistently top 10, then top 5, and now top 3. Even I have a hard time believing she's gotten that high up there, but the numbers don't lie, and this has held true across multiple polls and several weeks now. In recent weeks she has had a lot of #2 placements, a few #1 placements, and some #3 placements as well.

All the rest vary, and while there are many other strong candidates, none of them seem to ever be mega top tier like the ones previously mentioned. I considered Wolf for rising since I have the vague impression that people are getting less complacent about assuming he'll make it anyway, but the poll numbers don't quite justify it. Inklings have always done fairly well, and are maybe the most successful ballot candidate I didn't mention here. I don't usually see them crack the top 3 though.

The thing to take away from this though is that despite the polls not being ideal statistical measures, the ballot leaders are not as volatile as they appear to be. A couple have declined, one has risen, and a few have just always been on top, but a clear top tier has emerged. What gets more volatile and fuzzy is everything outside this top tier, but even then there is a fairly short list of big names that are always shuffling around: Inklings, Bandana Dee, Krystal, Paper Mario, and Wolf off the top of my head form the majority of this high tier.

It's a good point that things have varied, but it's far from an unpredictable mess one week to the next. The patterns are there and the frontrunners are emerging.
I personally think that Shantae & K. Rool are probably the best choices being made on the ballot and will probably be the two newcomers. An extensive Nintendo history, fun personalities and designs that will certainly make them stand out, and the enourmous game-accurate moveset they will have.

The added diversity to the roster, with Shantae being a Female Protagonist, and K. Rool being a villain, is also a very nice bonus.

Last edited:

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
It's strange to see how the top falls and rises from time to time.
My homeboy Rayman for example is a really strange case because in some he comes out on top or top 3 and some others he's 10th or even almost last. getting beaten by C-tier votes like Ashley from WarioWare.
The Ballot Polls seem to indicate that most wanted characters change on a daily basis and that worries me a little sometimes (Rayman being a very risky horse to bet on doesn't help either).

I wouldn't mind Shantae (fan of her games) and K.Rool (because he should've been in in the first place tbh) coming in and I hope Rayman will get in because he's my personal favorite and seeing how he already managed to get a foot in the building with his trophies he's really 50/50 for me atm

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Krystal is on the rise as well thanks to A. Sakurai saying she was under consideration at some point and B. the hope that porting over Wof would be a quick job that would leave dev time for her. Dampened somewhat by Star Fox Zero being an apparent reboot.

I hope Shantae will rise up as time goes one. A big multiplatform release may help her yet.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
My homeboy Rayman for example is a really strange case because in some he comes out on top or top 3 and some others he's 10th or even almost last. getting beaten by C-tier votes like Ashley from WarioWare.
The Ballot Polls seem to indicate that most wanted characters change on a daily basis and that worries me a little sometimes (Rayman being a very risky horse to bet on doesn't help either).

I wouldn't mind Shantae (fan of her games) and K.Rool (because he should've been in in the first place tbh) coming in and I hope Rayman will get in because he's my personal favorite and seeing how he already managed to get a foot in the building with his trophies he's really 50/50 for me atm
The thing about Rayman for me is that, combined with Ubisoft's general blundering over the last several years, the series went in a direction I didn't care for.

When Rayman Origins was announced, I just wasn't that thrilled about a return to 2D. Now, I guess it made sense as an origin/reboot game of sorts, but when Legends came after it I felt like Ubisoft was just recycling 2D Rayman, relying on nostalgic value and a somewhat successful revival.

I know we'll probably disagree here; I just really liked 3D Rayman and didn't care for the step backwards they took. Especially when the same thing essentially happened to the Sonic series because of a few flukes that almost demolished the series; Sonic Team decided to take the lazy route by making Sonic the only playable character, and using linear 3D gameplay and forced, shallow 2D segments because "It's what the classic fans thought they were asking for".

It does make me sad to say this, because Rayman was once one of my favorite mascots back in the old days and Rayman 3 is among my favorite 3D platformers: But because of what happened afterward I can't bring myself to be hyped over Rayman's possible inclusion. Again, I really wish I felt differently, but Ubisoft managed to sour the character for me. And especially with what's happened with their reputation recently, being called the next EA. They already were given a number of trophies because of their help with developing the game's trophies for a little advertisement; maybe it's a little spiteful, but I'd rather they wouldn't get anything more than that. It doesn't help that they haven't treated Nintendo all that well either.

Last edited:

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
Funny thing is I am the other way around. I find the 2d games to be greatly superior to the 3d ones.
Also I don't think you should judge a character by the owners. sure Ubisoft is dickish but the actual Rayman dev team wasn't very happy with them either. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/michel-ancel-dev-team-protesting-rayman-legends-delay/1100-6403768/ the dev team is filled with love towards the series but Ubisoft keeps holding them back (they had a 3d title in the works after Legends but Ubisoft shut it down which in my opinion isn't THAT bad but it's a shame)
Also saying that they haven't treated Nintendo well is still something I find very ridiculous. Ubi has realeased double the games on wiiu than capcom and Bamco combined.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
It's not really about quantity. Activision is another company that has almost always managed to get Nintendo ports for their games as well. I'm not saying they actively oppose Nintendo like a certain other company that flat-out refuses to work with them (not naming any names), but I don't see them as being on friendly terms. Ubisoft/Activison more seem like the type that port for Nintendo only because they have the resources to do it and it nets them more sales.

Last edited:

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
It's not really about quantity. Activision is another company that has almost always managed to get Nintendo ports for their games as well. I'm not saying they actively oppose Nintendo like a certain other company that flat-out refuses to work with them (not naming any names), but I don't see them as being on friendly terms. Ubisoft/Activison more seem like the type that port for Nintendo only because they have the resources to do it and it nets them more sales.
http://wiiudaily.com/2015/06/nintendo-canada-e3/ Nintendo themselves see Ubisoft as one of their best 3rd party developers so I'm sure they're on good terms. The fact that Michel Ancel (Rayman's creator) made an on-disk level for super mario maker also shows that their relationship is quite stable. actually now that I think about it Michel Ancel and Miyamoto are very good friends and have been known to hang out.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Things should go back to Shantae.

But if I had to say some words, Ubisoft is not "dead meat" to Nintendo when Nintendo stated Ubisoft is one of there biggest supporters of their systems. Businesses have their issues, but it's really not as major as people are saying they are.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
The thing about Rayman for me is that, combined with Ubisoft's general blundering over the last several years, the series went in a direction I didn't care for.

When Rayman Origins was announced, I just wasn't that thrilled about a return to 2D. Now, I guess it made sense as an origin/reboot game of sorts, but when Legends came after it I felt like Ubisoft was just recycling 2D Rayman, relying on nostalgic value and a somewhat successful revival.

I know we'll probably disagree here; I just really liked 3D Rayman and didn't care for the step backwards they took. Especially when the same thing essentially happened to the Sonic series because of a few flukes that almost demolished the series; Sonic Team decided to take the lazy route by making Sonic the only playable character, and using linear 3D gameplay and forced, shallow 2D segments because "It's what the classic fans thought they were asking for".

It does make me sad to say this, because Rayman was once one of my favorite mascots back in the old days and Rayman 3 is among my favorite 3D platformers: But because of what happened afterward I can't bring myself to be hyped over Rayman's possible inclusion. Again, I really wish I felt differently, but Ubisoft managed to sour the character for me. And especially with what's happened with their reputation recently, being called the next EA. They already were given a number of trophies because of their help with developing the game's trophies for a little advertisement; maybe it's a little spiteful, but I'd rather they wouldn't get anything more than that. It doesn't help that they haven't treated Nintendo all that well either.
That's similar why I don't want Snake to come back, or any Konami reps in general, which even includes Bomberman.

Considering how the only game that Castlevania has had in recent years is going to be a pachinko machine, and how I'm still unable to get the awful taste of Bomberman Zero out of my mouth... Combined with all the recent news about Konami (Cancelling Silent Hills for no real reason, firing Kojima and demanding to not mention him in interviews, near prison-like working conditions, etc.), I don't think they deserve to be rewarded for that.

Black-magic13

Smash Apprentice
I feel that. I don't really want Snake back either (Bomberman I would be okay with tho).
Ditto. Besides snake fans irritate me they are such contradiction like people. Well I'm mainly pointing at the ones that say snake was a perfect fit and he isn't inappropriate, yet bayonetta is a monster compared to him like wtf really? Both of them are violent as hell but at least bayonetta is funny with a magical fantasy side to it. Snake is all gore and dark and serious.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
According to this video, Shantae Half Genie Hero is going to be at the whole Nindies Showcase thing. Think there will be anything new shown off?

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192

I wouldn't say that the most wanted characters are changing on a daily basis, but rather that each individual poll captures a different sampling of opinions. Looking at the polls collectively, you start to see regularities, and somewhat reliable patterns over time. Each individual ballot poll is unreliable from a statistical perspective, but considering them collectively, you start to get a better picture of how things stand. However, even considered collectively, the results of online polls need to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Now here are my personal observations on how Rayman stacks up in the polls. To me Rayman seems like a less popular version of Banjo Kazooie in terms of vote count: in almost every poll I see, he does somewhere between decent and just okay, but then every now and then he makes top 5 or so. It seems like he got a spike in popularity and attention when the fake leak happened, but he hasn't really sustained it (not to say he's doing badly, he just doesn't seem to be in the top tier of popularity). My sense, after looking at all these polls, is that Rayman is not in top tier popularity-wise, but rather hovers between the high tier and the next tier down. Maybe you could even just say low end of high tier.

That isn't cause for discouragement though. Low end of high tier is still probably popular enough that Sakurai and the dev team will notice him and discuss the possibility. It's important to remember that the ballot is a suggestion box, not a real vote. Number of votes will most likely be given some degree of consideration, but it will only be one of many factors weighed. I personally don't think that Rayman is top 10 most likely to get in, but he probably is top 15 most likely. He definitely has a chance. And in any case, this is all just my speculation, not gospel truth. Just thought I'd share my analysis of Rayman's popularity since you brought him up.

I think Krystal is on the rise as well thanks to A. Sakurai saying she was under consideration at some point and B. the hope that porting over Wof would be a quick job that would leave dev time for her. Dampened somewhat by Star Fox Zero being an apparent reboot.

I hope Shantae will rise up as time goes one. A big multiplatform release may help her yet.
The considerations you gave are reasons for thinking she has a good chance to make it, not necessarily for thinking her popularity has risen. Personally I haven't observed any upward trend for Krystal in terms of popularity. She still seems to hang out in that second tier of popularity with the likes of Paper Mario and Bandana Dee. In terms of chances of making it into the game, I think she's top 10, but not top 5, and I don't see her climbing or falling. That leaves her with a pretty good chance. Again, I've looked at a lot of polls, but these are just my impressions. Nobody really knows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom