• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well, he does do the "Unsee64" series, talking about cut and behind the scenes information of past games, Like Rayman 4's development and such. However, Tamaki is not being truthful with us as he's having depression problems and all this might just be him lying to us just to have fun for himself... which is sad.
Yeah; I'm going to assume he's just trolling us.

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm positive Sakurai and his crew have been working on SOMETHING for the past few months. And not just costumes or more old stages, mind you, it's gotta be something more technical than that. They can't just be sitting around doing nothing, but they can't just be working on the ballot characters, the ballot's not done yet.

Expect something soon at least. Maybe not Shantae, but there's gotta be something in the works.

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
That reminds me of the red palate swap from the second dungeon of the first Shantae game, where she had to become red or blue to move through different parts of the dungeon. Any chance that's what you were going for, or is it just happy coincidence?
I've never played the first Shantae game so it's just a coincidence I just went with the color that suited her best :)

(Why does putting stuff into spoilers and quotes have to be so DAMN difficult on this forum ?!)

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Well I'm positive Sakurai and his crew have been working on SOMETHING for the past few months. And not just costumes or more old stages, mind you, it's gotta be something more technical than that. They can't just be sitting around doing nothing, but they can't just be working on the ballot characters, the ballot's not done yet.

Expect something soon at least. Maybe not Shantae, but there's gotta be something in the works.
which may unfortunately be Pichu

Nobody liked tripping in Brawl, so who would want a character that hurts themself with each attack?!

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
We need to revert Samus back to her Amazonian days so hard we accidently make her 7"0'!
(Which ironically would be smaller of a change if you think of 6"3'->5"4'=11' difference vs. 6"3'->7"0'=9' difference)

But, ooch, that's a good point on Shantae's "assets" possibly getting exaggerated in her transition to Smash if it happened. But on the other hand because she's third party (judging by Pac-Man's oh so varied color schemes *COUGH COUGH*) they may put much more emphasis on keeping the transition as close as possible out of respect. ...But then again because she's from such a small developer and would be the only third party female rep we don't exactly know how that would turn out either.

Ugh, tough call, I gotta say.
I'm not worried about this at all. Yes, a couple of female characters in the game did get their hips and busts exaggerated a bit to turn up the sex appeal a little. Those female characters originally downplayed sex appeal though. Shantae already has some degree of sex appeal built into her character, so there's no need to exaggerate her original proportions to achieve that. Increasing her hips or bust size further would not look good, and would be distracting. I can't imagine them going in that direction.

I've never played the first Shantae game so it's just a coincidence I just went with the color that suited her best :)

(Does putting stuff into spoilers and quotes have to be so dang difficult on this forum ?!)
In that case, here is an image of Shantae with the red palate from the first game: http://shantae.wikia.com/wiki/Golem_Mine?file=Scr_golem_mine_3.png Now you can claim that was your intention all along if you want ;-)

By the way, I definitely recommend playing the first game. Some features of it are a little unforgiving on the first playthrough (it helps if you abuse the restore points on the virtual console), but overall it's a real gem of a game. Tons of fun.

EDIT:

Nobody liked tripping in Brawl, so who would want a character that hurts themself with each attack?!
I seriously seriously doubt they would add Pichu back in. There's no motivation for Nintendo to do so. Literally the only thing Pichu has going for him is veteran status, and since he's from melee, he'd probably have to be built from the ground up anyway. At least Brawl veterans probably have some reusable code. Pichu isn't a popular request anywhere, even Japan. As I repeat over and over, we don't know anything for sure, but I'd seriously be shocked if Pichu made it. One of the least likely characters in my opinion.

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327

If they brought back Pichu I would be so mad plus why ruin that we have a whole party of Pokémon reps playable (because 6 Pokémon is a trainer's party, realized this when Mewtwo was released) plus if they brought be a veteran it'll have to be Wolf or Ice Climbers (being a solo character) not sure about Snake...

But back on topic I mean all this love and news around Shantae who knows maybe the 27th will bring some great news or not but we all made this far we're only a month a couple weeks away from the ballot closing no telling what will happen

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I think a good reason for Shantae to be added is more characters representing handheld systems.

Besides Pokemon and Kirby, there's no handheld-birthed franchises represented in Smash. Even franchises that are mostly known nowadays for being on handhelds, such as Fire Emblem, started on the NES.

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I think a good reason for Shantae to be added is more characters representing handheld systems.

Besides Pokemon and Kirby, there's no handheld-birthed franchises represented in Smash. Even franchises that are mostly known nowadays for being on handhelds, such as Fire Emblem, started on the NES.
Right I forgot that point plus Shantae would be another GBC birthed and female lead character if she made it in so here's hoping

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Shantae would definitely improve the GBC's character record. Right now it's stuck at Pichu and Pichu alone.

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any Shantae and Mega Man/Black Mage fan art? If she gets in then Shantae and Mega Man are gonna be my new mains. If both Shantae and Black Mage get in Smah will instantly become my favorite video game ever. So any can art of those two combinations would be great! Shantae and Black Mage would get me the most hype though.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Shantae would definitely improve the GBC's character record. Right now it's stuck at Pichu and Pichu alone.
And really show Shantae's long history with Nintendo, especially compared to other 3rd parties people want.

Does anyone have any Shantae and Mega Man/Black Mage fan art? If she gets in then Shantae and Mega Man are gonna be my new mains. If both Shantae and Black Mage get in Smah will instantly become my favorite video game ever. So any can art of those two combinations would be great! Shantae and Black Mage would get me the most hype though.
I was thinking of making a Shantae/Mega Man crossover drawing, since Bozon's a big fan of the blue fella.

Shantae has the Mega Man suit, but with her color scheme, Risky is Dr. Wily, and there are Tinkerbat Mettuars.

Last edited:

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Yeah! Shantae is a true competitor to adds to Super Smash Bros! I will keep posting on this post, until the vote is over. go #TeamShantae! BTW, be sure to support my favorite DLC list too!

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Repost, please.

I'm lazy
Here. :p

First Image: (As you can see in it, 2 tweets that do not actually exist on Nintendo's twitter page at all are present under the results for Google).

Second Image: (Notice the Date and Time of when this was posted).

Third Image: (Same as second image).

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Here. :p

First Image: (As you can see in it, 2 tweets that do not actually exist on Nintendo's twitter page at all are present under the results for Google).

Second Image: (Notice the Date and Time of when this was posted).

Third Image: (Same as second image).

...And this means... what?

B.H. and DD

Smash Apprentice
It could be foreshadowing an announcement by Nintendo of some DLC for Smash. :3. (Trust me, I doubt that's a glitch. If anything, maybe it was a private post that somehow appeared accidently on the search feed?)
But it's Ryu...

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
But it's Ryu...
I am pretty sure Ryu is just a placeholder, in all honesty, and that those two posts are meant for another fighter at some point in the week. The posts can be edited and replaced by another character when Nintendo decides to do so, anyways.

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
I am pretty sure Ryu is just a placeholder, in all honesty, and that those two posts are meant for another fighter at some point in the week. The posts can be edited and replaced by another character when Nintendo decides to do so, anyways.
I understand what you mean... the date says August 25th, but Ryu came out waaaaay before that. This wouldn't make any sense to post since its old news.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I understand what you mean... the date says August 25th, but Ryu came out waaaaay before that. This wouldn't make any sense to post since its old news.
Yeah, that's true, but like I said, it may still be a placeholder that will have Ryu replaced with a brand new fighter or fighters. :3

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
I'm still expecting something in the next couple of days, tbh.

Both, uh, in the Shantae sense and the Smash sense. It's just really feels like a good time for it.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
I don't think anything is on the way. Here is my theory about what that tweet really means:

Nintendo announced Lucas and had a release date planned for him. They had Roy and Ryu ready to go, but never even slightly hinted at this. Much to Sakurai's dismay, however, the patches including their data were data mined and the characters were leaked, moves and all. Right after the leak, Nintendo surprised us by announcing both Roy and Ryu alongside the Lucas released and then releasing them the same day. Since then we've had no specific characters to look forward to.

What happened? If they hadn't already been leaked, it would have made no sense for Sakurai to dump two unannounced characters on us the same day as Lucas. That is a huge huge waste of hype potential. And then after giving us a constant string of characters to look forward to, one at a time, he just gives us three in one day and then nothing to look forward to for months and months. An update with new costumes and stages comes, and no character with them.

I suspect that Sakurai's original plan was to release Lucas and then announce Roy the same day, to be released with the tourney mode patch in August. When that patch hit, Sakurai would surprise us with an even bigger announcement - Ryu coming to Smash Bros! Ryu's original release date was probably intended to be fairly soon. It's possible that something would have been announced when Ryu was released, but with the ballot closing just a month later, I think Sakurai would have just left us with all of that to chew on until October 3.

Of course when the two characters were leaked, this whole plan was totally ruined. There's no point in holding back the characters once everyone already knows they're on the way and have even figured out how to hack the game to play as them. Rather than pointlessly and annoyingly parcelling them out over the coming months, Sakurai just released them all with Lucas, and his carefully planned hype train came to a crashing halt.

This tweet is probably just a relic of that original plan. Nintendo's twitter is probably automated in some way, and had a series of tweets scheduled for different times over the summer corresponding to the announcement and release of Roy and Ryu. Most of these would have been deleted, but evidently they missed one.

That's just a theory, but I think it's the best explanation of this accidental tweet. Sorry guys, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Uh, pretty sure they were finished, dude. They had to still make that direct video that came out the day the patch dropped.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I don't think anything is on the way. Here is my theory about what that tweet really means:

Nintendo announced Lucas and had a release date planned for him. They had Roy and Ryu ready to go, but never even slightly hinted at this. Much to Sakurai's dismay, however, the patches including their data were data mined and the characters were leaked, moves and all. Right after the leak, Nintendo surprised us by announcing both Roy and Ryu alongside the Lucas released and then releasing them the same day. Since then we've had no specific characters to look forward to.

What happened? If they hadn't already been leaked, it would have made no sense for Sakurai to dump two unannounced characters on us the same day as Lucas. That is a huge huge waste of hype potential. And then after giving us a constant string of characters to look forward to, one at a time, he just gives us three in one day and then nothing to look forward to for months and months. An update with new costumes and stages comes, and no character with them.

I suspect that Sakurai's original plan was to release Lucas and then announce Roy the same day, to be released with the tourney mode patch in August. When that patch hit, Sakurai would surprise us with an even bigger announcement - Ryu coming to Smash Bros! Ryu's original release date was probably intended to be fairly soon. It's possible that something would have been announced when Ryu was released, but with the ballot closing just a month later, I think Sakurai would have just left us with all of that to chew on until October 3.

Of course when the two characters were leaked, this whole plan was totally ruined. There's no point in holding back the characters once everyone already knows they're on the way and have even figured out how to hack the game to play as them. Rather than pointlessly and annoyingly parcelling them out over the coming months, Sakurai just released them all with Lucas, and his carefully planned hype train came to a crashing halt.

This tweet is probably just a relic of that original plan. Nintendo's twitter is probably automated in some way, and had a series of tweets scheduled for different times over the summer corresponding with the announcement and release of Roy and Ryu. Most of these would have been deleted, but evidently they missed one.

That's just a theory, but I think it's the best explanation of this accidental tweet. Sorry guys, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
I mean, this is a good theory, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Uh, pretty sure they were finished, dude. They had to still make that direct video that came out the day the patch dropped.
When you say "they were finished," do you mean that the characters were finished? That much is clear. They obviously had the characters finished, but I don't think they were planning to release them all at once. As for the Direct, I suspect when the leak happened, Sakurai just had it re-recorded at the last minute. There was time enough for that between leak and Lucas release, especially since it would have been mostly unchanged. Maybe it was just me, but I thought Sakurai seemed a little bit sour when he said in that direct, "thank you for your patience." Seemed to me like it had been recorded after the leaks.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

This tweet is probably just a relic of that original plan. Nintendo's twitter is probably automated in some way, and had a series of tweets scheduled for different times over the summer corresponding to the announcement and release of Roy and Ryu. Most of these would have been deleted, but evidently they missed one.

I'm like super sorry to **** on theory but that really can't be the case for one ryu and roy have been leaked already mostly everyone knew they were gonna be in the game since april also nintendo had to have this planned thhis planned in advance seeing as that was a pre-recorded message so i'm sure there plan from the get-go was to release all 3 at the same and i dont think they would ever have sakurai re-recored a whole direct in night.Finally nintendo has never changed there plans due to leaks not even the esrb leak stop them from there plans so i doubt a 5 second victory animation would make them do so plus i dont even think nintendo of japan knew about it so there's no way sakurai would know

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Realistically I doubt both Shantae and Shovel Knight. I support them both but I think that a character from a big triple A publisher in Japan is more likely than western studios of varying independance

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Realistically I doubt both Shantae and Shovel Knight. I support them both but I think that a character from a big triple A publisher in Japan is more likely than western studios of varying independance
Just give me K. Rool and Namco's Valkyrie, and I'll be freaking happy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom