• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Breaking news:

Nintendo is hosting a "Nindies @ Night" event at a museum before PAX Prime. They have announced that several indie games coming to 3DS and Wii U will be playable there, and even new announcements.

Do you think Nintendo may announce Shantae for Smash at this big event they're hyping up, especially considering how it's centered around Nindies?

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Plus, Matt Bozon himself has storyboarded whole cartoon episodes of Shantae to keep the characters fresh in his mind. So if Wayforward could afford it, there would be quite a bit of episodes right there. And I would totally watch it!
If possible, they could animate a pilot and see if any networks would pick it up, (I wouldn't count on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network though, apparently they don't want new shows with female protagonists)

Breaking news:

Nintendo is hosting a "Nindies @ Night" event at a museum before PAX Prime. They have announced that several indie games coming to Wii U will be playable there, and even new announcements.

Do you think Nintendo may announce Shantae for Smash at this big event they're hyping up, especially considering how it's centered around Nindies?
When is it at?

Last edited:

DiagonalSpy07

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3754-7248-5911
I could see a combination of both adapting the game's stories and original stories as well, there's already a lot of potential for stories in the Shantae universe, this will also help develop the characters a lot more as well
Hope to get a good bit of development for the characters in HGH. Especially expand on the lore of Rottytops' past life in her story as well

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
If she did had an anime, I wonder what animation studio would be worthy enough to make it. Of course I'd watch it anyway but still.
Even if it was, dare I say, 4kids?

... Alright, I take that back. Though I'm one of the very few that never really had a major problem with 4kids other than Sonic Chris Thorndyke X and a few puns that were beyond cringeworthy from that show. Maybe it's just nostalgia talking, but Yu-Gi-Oh is/was a minor guilty pleasure of mine, I guess I'll admit.

Breaking news:

Nintendo is hosting a "Nindies @ Night" event at a museum before PAX Prime. They have announced that several indie games coming to 3DS and Wii U will be playable there, and even new announcements.

I saw the NoA tweet earlier today, but where was it said that announcements would be made? I want to hope something could happen (as unlikely as that may be), but I feel like we need to know the context here.

Last edited:

Mighty Minotaur

Smash Cadet
Y'know what, I'm pretty sure this is off topic. But I seriously have just gotta say it.
If you haven't played Fire Emblem Awakening, you owe it to yourself right now to go pick it up. I just finished it about 30 minutes ago, and oh... I just can't spoil it. I seriously can't. I can't type correctly because I'm still shaking with emotion from the ending.
Pls forgive meh. ;_;

Okay. Now that I got that out of the way, I just want to say thank you all for your encouraging words on the "Rate their chances" thread. Every time I read that thread, it discourages me, but when I look back here, I get filled with hope of her chances once again. Thanks for your encouragement! :D

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Even if it was, dare I say, 4kids?

... Alright, I take that back. Though I'm one of the very few that never really had a major problem with 4kids other than Sonic Chris Thorndyke X and a few puns that were beyond cringeworthy from that show. Maybe it's just nostalgia talking, but Yu-Gi-Oh is/was a minor guilty pleasure of mine, I guess I'll admit.

I saw the NoA tweet earlier today, but where was it said that announcements would be made? I want to hope something could happen (as unlikely as that may be), but I feel like we need to know the context here.
A response to Gameinformer from Damon Baker.

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
As long as I don't have to play Fates I'm cool with it.

Anyway, does anyone else find it pretty impressive that the Shantae kickstarter managed to raise $730,000+ (and eventually $900,000+) in the face of the bloated, cancerous blob that was Mighty No. 9's kickstarter? Because I do.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
A bit before the ballot closes inn'it?
This is Nintendo we're talking about.

The company that releases stuff during Directs and has the eShop break down because of it

As long as I don't have to play Fates I'm cool with it.

Anyway, does anyone else find it pretty impressive that the Shantae kickstarter managed to raise $730,000+ (and eventually $900,000+) in the face of the bloated, cancerous blob that was Mighty No. 9's kickstarter? Because I do.
Especially considering it started a day after HGH, unfortunately.

Yet Wayforward won the "which game is going to look better" race.

Heck, they already won it by actually showing the game when they announced it. Something Comcept has refused to do 3 times now.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Mighty No.9 should have been done in Shantae's style. As it is it looks like an HD remastering of a PS1 game.

Felix the Slayer

Ret-2-Go!
3DS FC
3093-7620-3358
Has a release date for Risky's Revenge DX been set yet? Because now I can get the regular version, but if the DX version is coming out soon I might just wait a little longer to get it.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
That leaks thread is really going haywire, but at least some great words are being spoken in the matter of people bashing other's characters on this damned site.

Character fans are constantly putting down other character's chances as they believe it's a "competition". 'that character can't happen because then my character can't be in the game!' It's not, there's a middle ground in character choices. It's not all or none, it's about appeasing the most amount of people with the limited resources and time that game development has.

I saw some people say "lol Sakurai comparing Krystal to mooks" and that's the totally wrong attitude to have.

When people suggest characters I don't get the impression that Sakurai sees any character as inherently better than others. (except SpongeBob and Goku but they aren't Nintendo characters)

I think he looks at popular requests and goes through this process:

1. Looks to see if he can use them
2. Sees if they are popular enough, is the character too obscure?
3. If they have a moveset
4. Fill a niche
5. Favorable to development
6. If not 5 can they be made into a clone?
7. Are they relevant or retro?

They don't happen in that order per say and some parts occur at the same time. Takamaru probably passed all the requirements except 2 for example. Krystal in Brawl might have passed everything except 5.

If you are going to say a character has a chance or no chance base it off logic. There's really no need to make character requests such an emotional thing.
So. much. of. this.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
A bit before the ballot closes inn'it?
We obviously don't know anything for sure right now, but I really can't bring myself to believe that Sakurai and his teams have been doing nothing ever since the Ryu patch (plus the costumes, Tournament mode, and the classic stages). Assuming that all the ballot DLC isn't released in a single wave, they probably should be working on at least one or maybe even two fighters; even if it would only be the very early planning stages. I don't know if we'll have a release before the ballot closes, but anything's possible.

As for Nindies@Night, I'm a little uncertain about what to think. It does say Damon Baker has a presentation at 9 PM, but if Nintendo doesn't also announce a Direct or something similar in the days prior to the event, there might be nothing pertaining to Smash sadly.

That leaks thread is really going haywire, but at least some great words are being spoken in the matter of people bashing other's characters on this damned site.
To be honest, it still seems preferable to the GameFAQs Smash forum. Basically over half the community there seems to be made up of trolls, and the mods can't be bothered to actually keep things in check. There's also the Smash subreddit, but then it's Reddit which is a different subject altogether.

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I've also noticed that Runbow is releasing on the same day as the Nindies@Night event. Do you think that they are gonna be using that event to promote the game?

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
If possible, they could animate a pilot and see if any networks would pick it up, (I wouldn't count on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network though, apparently they don't want new shows with female protagonists
Nick yeah Cartoon Network No.

So. much. of. this.
Agree plus some made comic about that topic.

It might have been posted here so I'll put it in spoilers.

Last edited:

Pyropuppet

Smash Cadet
Breaking news:

I doubt it, but it would be amazing. I

KeyFortune

Smash Apprentice
So I know I'm 10 years late on this, but has anyone else seen Smash Crusade's character news? I really love that fan-game, but I feel like we can get higher (It is an extremely fun game though)

We can do it people!!!:cyclops::colorful::cyclops:

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Better question, where do I play it?

...No seriously I'm having trouble get to it where's my updated Smash game with Shantae?

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
All the support I've been hearing about Shantae has made me very interested in the series. I love classic platformers, and I've had my eye on the GBC original for a while, but I never really had the drive to pick it up.

The main thing holding me up from purchasing it was the price of the cartridge (I prefer playing games on their original hardware), but I've finally decided to give the game a try through the 3DS eshop, and I've got you guys to thank for that!

From what I know about Shantae, she seems like she could be a very interesting character in Smash. I can't say that she's a character I really want in Smash at the moment, but that could easily change once I actually play the game. Nevertheless, I wish you all the best of luck!

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
All the support I've been hearing about Shantae has made me very interested in the series. I love classic platformers, and I've had my eye on the GBC original for a while, but I never really had the drive to pick it up.

The main thing holding me up from purchasing it was the price of the cartridge (I prefer playing games on their original hardware), but I've finally decided to give the game a try through the 3DS eshop, and I've got you guys to thank for that!

From what I know about Shantae, she seems like she could be a very interesting character in Smash. I can't say that she's a character I really want in Smash at the moment, but that could easily change once I actually play the game. Nevertheless, I wish you all the best of luck!
Wait- Gimme a sec to find a MGS "Thanks" quote...

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253

Just as a note, the GBC game may be pretty darn brutal/annoying sometimes, given the camera and the occasional gameplay faults, but I think the art's really nice.
So if it ain't to your tastes, don't give up just yet, try out Risky's Revenge, or better yet Pirate's Curse.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Just as a note, the GBC game may be pretty darn brutal/annoying sometimes, given the camera and the occasional gameplay faults, but I think the art's really nice.
So if it ain't to your tastes, don't give up just yet, try out Risky's Revenge, or better yet Pirate's Curse.
The original Shantae is certainly a game that's a smoother ride on your second playthrough.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If possible, they could animate a pilot and see if any networks would pick it up, (I wouldn't count on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network though, apparently they don't want new shows with female protagonists)

When is it at?
Ninja Turtles has April, and Avatar had Katara, Toph, aswell as Korra and Asami. If you meant non-action shows that are actually good, then you're right.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Ninja Turtles has April, and Avatar had Katara, Toph, aswell as Korra and Asami. If you meant non-action shows that are actually good, then you're right.
I meant shows where the main protagonist is a female character, Korra is an exception since it's a spinoff/continuation of the Avatar series which already had built up a massive fanbase

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I meant shows where the main protagonist is a female character, Korra is an exception since it's a spinoff/continuation of the Avatar series which already had built up a massive fanbase
This version of the Turtles has been using April alot(whether it's a love story or playing a role in the main storyline).

Korra on the other hand, even though it was a spinoff to Avatar and used some of their characters, they were pretty much doing their own things(which that and getting darker with little to no promotion were put on their website to finish the series).

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
pro·tag·o·nist
prōˈtaɡənəst,prəˈtaɡənəst/

noun
  1. the leading character or one of the major characters in a drama, movie, novel, or other fictional text.

Felix the Slayer

Ret-2-Go!
3DS FC
3093-7620-3358
I got Risky's Revenge and Mighty Switch Force last night on my 3DS, I'm really enjoying RR though I felt like an idiot at the beginning for not being able to find Rotty Tops XD And I can't say much about Mighty Switch Force because I've been too busy playing RR.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I got Risky's Revenge and Mighty Switch Force last night on my 3DS, I'm really enjoying RR though I felt like an idiot at the beginning for not being able to find Rotty Tops XD And I can't say much about Mighty Switch Force because I've been too busy playing RR.
I got stuck trying to find Rottytops, too. :p

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I think Wayforward may have made the only horror game this year that isn't fueled by jumpscares.
I am interested in this. How does it play?

Also why does this game have a Amazon Game Studio label on it when it is a WayForward game?

EDIT: Oh right publisher is AGS and Developer is WayForward.

Last edited:
Top Bottom