• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hey Omni, I was curious; When you do your Smashified pieces, what do you enjoy most about doing them? Is there a vibe that you feel of the sorts when you Smashify some ancient video game character relics of the past or video game characters characters that would fit greatly in the world of Smash? It is a wonder that I had. =P

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
How mad/annoyed would you have been if Shantae had been announced as future DLC in yesterdays Smash Digital event? In the "oh that render was pointless" kind of mad/annoyed
I'm guessing I'd be initially disappointed, but in not too long I'd just be glad to see her in the game. I do have plans about what to do on the website in the event that one of the characters we do gets into the real game. =)

It'd be very interesting to see how our interpretations compare with the real thing!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Anyways, just to point out what I did in the Campaign card... I kinda did a little bit of fiddling with the render XD To see it I'll need to show them side by side.

First I'll re-post the original done by Artsy and his pals

And here is the thing I gimped up. The difference primarily is that I added a bit of bevel to it here and there to various pieces of the image to give it some pop.

Have a dropshadow version too

But yeah... Do you guys think it looks any good? It was mostly an experiment, as I wondered how the image would look with some bevel added here and there.

P.S. Artsy, if you are still here too: I hope you didn't mind me fiddling with your art! ^_^ I ment nothing by it. Was one of the usual experiments I like to do in Gimp. Please don't kill me ._.

Funny you should say that, because I see a lot of comments saying Shovel Knight is the least convincing. In fact, every time a new one goes up, somebody says "this one isn't as good as the rest" and other people say "this one is much better than the rest," so I'm just going to tell myself that it's pretty much the same.... because otherwise I think I might go insane. o_o
Being the worst out of the best is still great. Honestly i think all of the smashified pieces have been fantastic. But your "worst piece" is stil better than half the stuff on the net. So if you arent proud of it (and I know you are) you should be. It's all great stuff.

But I hate to ask what YOUR favorite smashified is..

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Hey Omni, I was curious; When you do your Smashified pieces, what do you enjoy most about doing them? Is there a vibe that you feel of the sorts when you Smashify some ancient video game character relics of the past or video game characters characters that would fit greatly in the world of Smash? It is a wonder that I had. =P
I think the part I enjoy the most is the design aspect: trying to see how an older character would be brought into a modern design context. I don't have any delusions of being the best at modernizing a character's design, but it's still the most interesting part. I love refining a design sketch and seeing how the forms will unfold in my mind.

The rest of a render is just getting the materials right, and that can often feel more like a chore than anything else. =P

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
For the record, regardless of how I feel about the characters themselves, this is hardly the Smashified I believe to be the "worst" of the lot.

But like people have been saying, the "worst" Smashified is still pretty much better than 99% of other similar-styled art.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Being the worst out of the best is still great. Honestly i think all of the smashified pieces have been fantastic. But your "worst piece" is stil better than half the stuff on the net. So if you arent proud of it (and I know you are) you should be. It's all great stuff.

But I hate to ask what YOUR favorite smashified is..
Oh gosh, I have no idea. I grow to hate all of them over time because all I see is the mistakes people have pointed out. XP

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You wouldn't be a true artist if you didn't come to hate your work the more you stared at it. :troll:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
So YOU are the artist behind this, Hex? Bravo! Outstanding work, on all of your pieces. The Smashified art gives a huge surge in popularity to the characters that receive them, and often become the staple image for campaigning. I know K. Rool sure appreciated the boost, even if he was pretty high up there already *snicker snicker*

Carry on the amazing work!

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
On the bright side, if people don't point out mistakes you may make the same mistake again next time
Very much so. I do my very best never to hold it against someone when they give criticism, even when it's not given very amicably. The criticisms always carry weight and can benefit future work. I just tend to focus on destructive criticism rather than constructive criticism, so smashified releases can be somewhat stressful for me, since negativity is most vocal right out of the gate.

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Very much so. I do my very best never to hold it against someone when they give criticism, even when it's not given very amicably. The criticisms always carry weight and can benefit future work. I just tend to focus on destructive criticism rather than constructive criticism, so smashified releases can be somewhat stressful for me, since negativity is most vocal right out of the gate.
Only problem I have is where I post my art I don't enough critism so I feel myself sitting in the same place all the time, I never finished that Shantae render I showed you a WIP of as I got stuck shading and had no one to ask at the time ;P

...and I don't like using deviantart for some reason

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Ok. Did a bit more fiddling with the render.

You'll notice a few more differences with this one. The first difference is that I saturated her attire and hair up a bit to make her brighter. I also darkened the skin color a bit.. which reminds me.. This actually isn't the only version I had. I made another version with a variation on the skin color too. I wanted to see what you guys thought of that too sooo...

I'll put the original in again for comparison

So guys, what do you think of them?

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

You'll notice a few more differences with this one. The first difference is that I saturated her attire and hair up a bit to make her brighter. I also darkened the skin color a bit.. which reminds me.. This actually isn't the only version I had. I made another version with a variation on the skin color too. I wanted to see what you guys thought of that too sooo...

Not sure if it's just me.
But I'm not sure if I'm seeing the difference between them.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Not sure if it's just me.
But I'm not sure if I'm seeing the difference between them.
You'll have to compare them. I guess the color alteration is a bit more subtle than I thought. If you compare one of them side by side with the original render you'll see the difference :p

Edit: In terms of the two variations of the skin color, the top one is a bit darker than the other

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
You'll have to compare them. I guess the color alteration is a bit more subtle than I thought. If you compare one of them side by side with the original render you'll see the difference :p

Edit: In terms of the two variations of the skin color, the top one is a bit darker than the other
Of the four you posted, which is the original?

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I'm starting to see a little difference now.
Yeah. I made the changes as I noticed one user or two note how the smashified looked somewhat desaturated... almost a mixture of Brawl and Wii U/3DS (which is definitely odd). So I decided to brighten the colors a bit myself, and made those changes to the skin tone.. I made two variations with different skin tones because I wasn't sure which looked the best or not.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

The extra color saturation looks good. I like all of her skin colors but if I had to choose 1 than it would be the 2nd one. I hope that helps, you did an excellent job with the edit.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Yeah. Artsy did a good job with it, but I felt like I had to take matters into my own hands since he probably wouldn't have time to do any major edits, at least I don't think. Thanks for the input everyone!

As always, any tweaks I make are free-use, as I don't really care what is done with stuff I do. Just be sure to thank Artsy Omni for the real thing! ^_^

Edit: The user that was chatting here a few hours ago, HextupleyooDOT was Omni. That is the fellow that created the render itself.

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Hey, guys! Look what I've got from Best Buy from yesterday!
17.46.44.jpg

I love my Father for helping & especially making me happy from yesterday! But, today that I'm mind Blown about Shantae is actually and finally #Smashified and hopefully more supporters of #ShantaeForSmash shall be in perfectional woodwork of voting Shantae!
jSncElT Shantae card.png
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shan...ersion/769600476420657?notif_t=page_new_likes P.S: Anyone wanna be friends me on my Wii U list and Wii U Chat?!

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hey, guys! Look what I've got from Best Buy from yesterday! View attachment 56920

I love my Father for helping & especially making me happy from yesterday! But, today that I'm mind Blown about Shantae is actually and finally #Smashified and hopefully more supporters of #ShantaeForSmash shall be in perfectional woodwork of voting Shantae! View attachment 56922 https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shan...ersion/769600476420657?notif_t=page_new_likes P.S: Anyone wanna be friends me on my Wii U list and Wii U Chat?!
Now join the Inkling army.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
I'm late to the party due to my odd sleep schedule, but I hope you'll value my input too:

This is amazing. I was sitting back expecting a troll submission with how much Smashified! was hinting and hyping, but I'm glad to have been wrong; this is everything I expected and more, and I love it. The style matches both Shantae and Smash perfectly. The only gripe I have is that Shantae's smile isn't open-mouthed, but it's a minor personal criticism on an otherwise fantastic piece. Kudos to you.

Now, for the thread: we got what we were waiting for, so I hope you're retweeting/reposting/rewhatevering Smashified Shantae and refueling the hype train. Granted it's going to be hard to hear the hype over E3's, but it doesn't hurt to try.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Can anybody tell me, how to redeem my early beta version of Shantae: Half-Genie Genie for the Wii U console codes?!
If you mean you received a beta code, it's not meant to be entered on the Wii U, it's meant to be entered through Steam. You'll still get the Wii U version of the full game if you bought it, but the beta demo is specifically for Steam.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I haven't posted here in soooo long, but the support for Shantae is still strong! As for the new Smashified art of her, the more I look at it, the better it looks. I think it looks like a pretty legit render of her, great job Omni and pals! Wouldn't mind seeing that on my Wii U screen haha!

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Hey, even if some aren't your best, that sure doesn't mean they are not good. And you guys should be proud at giving support to many different fanbases as well as getting some non-fans interested.
Also, when you are going to throw a curveball, one of those characters that nobody will see coming or rarely predict?
I thought that the "Mother 4" character was a curveball, considering he's from a fan-based game.

Can anybody tell me, how to redeem my early beta version of Shantae: Half-Genie Genie for the Wii U console codes?!
What Mike and SL said.

In more detail..
- check your email
- click the link to Backerkit
- look at the bottom of the digital rewards list that has all your wallpapers and stuff
- your steam code will be under "Test Rewards"
- copy your code to paste later
- go into steam and click "Games" then "Activate a Product on Steam"
- paste your code into the field that asks for it.

All these instructions should've been emailed to you by Wayforward. It's a much more entertaining read with visual aids and links and stuff.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
I thought that the "Mother 4" character was a curveball, considering he's from a fan-based game.

What Mike and SL said.

In more detail..
- check your email
- click the link to Backerkit
- look at the bottom of the digital rewards list that has all your wallpapers and stuff
- your steam code will be under "Test Rewards"
- copy your code to paste later
- go into steam and click "Games" then "Activate a Product on Steam"
- paste your code into the field that asks for it.

All these instructions should've been emailed to you by Wayforward. It's a much more entertaining read with visual aids and links and stuff.
Ok and what's the source for Steam?

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Last edited:
Top Bottom