• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Majorauss

Smash Rookie
I've been following for a while now too. Maybe it's time I stop hiding in the bushes in private and follow along with everyone else who are supporting her.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Apparently, Matt Bozon recently tweeted that he actually met Miyamoto at E3. He mentioned that he whispered "ShantaeForSmash" in everyone's ears. I'd have to guess that part was in a joking-like tone in terms of whispering it in everyone's ears, but maybe he did actually tell Miyamoto about Shantae? (if he's allowed to do that, anyway). Possible increased chances of her getting into Smash now because of this? :p

Tweet: https://twitter.com/MrBozon/status/611026326904926208

I've been following for a while now too. Maybe it's time I stop hiding in the bushes in private and follow along with everyone else who are supporting her.
Also, welcome to the followers of Shantae! You've technically been in it for a while now, tbh, but either way, welcome! :)

Last edited:

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Who else was disappointed with Shantae's Smashification...

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
How come? I thought it was pretty great, imo.
She didn't look happy man! thats her whole dealio. Also she looked flat to me. Not as 3D as most of the other shashifications. I think the one my profile is based off of is better.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
She didn't look happy man! thats her whole dealio. Also she looked flat to me. Not as 3D as most of the other shashifications. I think the one my profile is based off of is better.
Well, I can kinda see the "depth" part of it, it's a bit light on the shadows, I think. But when it comes to the whole "smiling" part of it, most of you guys must be use to her newer designs of Pirate's Curse and Genie Hero. She looks more like her Classic design of the first game and Risky's Revenge.

Although I like both of those renders, I think the shading was done better with Omni, but the expression is for the most part better with the other render, I can agree.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Well, I can kinda see the "depth" part of it, it's a bit light on the shadows, I think. But when it comes to the whole "smiling" part of it, most of you guys must be use to her newer designs of Pirate's Curse and Genie Hero. She looks more like her Classic design of the first game and Risky's Revenge.

Although I like both of those renders, I think the shading was done better with Omni, but the expression is for the most part better with the other render, I can agree.
the depth is what got me most, but even in the picture you have she looks cutesey and happy. Even if only subtly so. The smashified looked like she might have been forced, lol.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
the depth is what got me most, but even in the picture you have she looks cutesey and happy. Even if only subtly so. The smashified looked like she might have been forced, lol.
I can see what you mean. Imo, it looks more like how she would look in a standard T-Pose without facial expression added in.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well since so many people seemed to not be a fan of the Smashified's smile, I thought I would use a bit more Gimp magic on the tweaked render I showed yesterday using the smile on that other Shantae render. After a bit of tweaking, flipping and what not, I ended up with this:

It's of course not absolutely perfect.. but it's the best I could do.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well since so many people seemed to not be a fan of the Smashified's smile, I thought I would use a bit more Gimp magic on the tweaked render I showed yesterday using the smile on that other Shantae render. After a bit of tweaking, flipping and what not, I ended up with this:

It's honestly an improvement, I must say...

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice

I actually think the change was quite effective.
Can't spot any glaring issues with colorization or blending or anything personally, so... I'd call this little edit successful.

Burruni

Smash Hero
The Smashified Shantae was good, and in my opinion holds as the best 3D art for her so far.

But there's little things that could've done to make it better.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Maybe people should request a edit change if it's something people really prefer for the render. He edited the Rayman render because people didn't prefer the Origins/Legends eyebrows, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind the criticism for the change...

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

It's amazing how much the smile changes it. Good job!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Maybe people should request a edit change if it's something people really prefer for the render. He edited the Rayman render because people didn't prefer the Origins/Legends eyebrows, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind the criticism for the change...
Yep. He also added freckles to the Banjo & Kazooie Smashified too

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hmm.... In your view guys, do you truly think that Matt Bozon telling Miyamoto about Shantae just might increase her chances? It's a wish, but I think it'll help.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Hmm.... In your view guys, do you truly think that Matt Bozon telling Miyamoto about Shantae just might increase her chances? It's a wish, but I think it'll help.
I don't think so, but I could be wrong, maybe so. I think Miyamoto would know a bit about Shantae, maybe, but it's just something I wouldn't bet would mean much, unless Miyamoto ended up loving the game series.

Burruni

Smash Hero
It increases her notoriety a bit. But nothing less.

She's the Nindie character with a sizable amount of support with a following mostly in the west but is growing more of an eastern support with each title.

She's the most likely 3rd Party character for DLC, and one of the two big ones I'd argue for Smash 5.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141

It truly is amazing that just adding a simple smile makes me adore this render now. I'm not even kidding, this is perfect, she's smash ready. I think this goes to show that we like Omni's work, we just snipe the little stuff and it makes us disgruntled.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I don't think so, since Miyamoto has nothing to do with Smash. Sakuari even originally turned down Miyamoto's request on Pac-Man.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
It increases her notoriety a bit. But nothing less.

She's the Nindie character with a sizable amount of support with a following mostly in the west but is growing more of an eastern support with each title.

She's the most likely 3rd Party character for DLC, and one of the two big ones I'd argue for Smash 5.
Agreed, she's the most likely third party character. Bozon's report was helpful, but if Shantae didn't have a chance, he wouldn't have changed anything.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Indeed, that is true, but Miyamoto could tell Sakurai about it and he probably wouldn't turn her down like he originally had done so to Pac-Man back then.
I wouldn't garrentee that would lock Shantae as a choice, when the ballot is more than liking going to be the last remaining choices that are predetermined at this point for Smash. So if she's getting in, it's going to be from the fan demand from the ballot.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice

THERE'S the cutesy smile we all know and love :b::love:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I wouldn't garrentee that would lock Shantae as a choice, when the ballot is more than liking going to be the last remaining choices that are predetermined at this point for Smash. So if she's getting in, it's going to be from the fan demand from the ballot.
You have a point. Either way, we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the next few months. But I do hope she is considered for Smash by Sakurai.

Also, I'd highly recommend showing that to Omni. I would favor seeing that change in her Smashified, but its up to him, in all honesty. For some reason, I feel as though the gauntlet on her arms are kinda off with the lines on each one; one of them (on her right arm) is a darker-gold and the other (on her left arm) is gold. Would that be intended? I'm not trying to criticize it negatively or anything, I was just wondering.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
in terms of 3rd parties who would you say is the biggest "threat" to shantae in terms of popularity.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
You have a point. Either way, we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the next few months. But I do hope she is considered for Smash by Sakurai.

Also, I'd highly recommend showing that to Omni. I would favor seeing that change in her Smashified, but its up to him, in all honesty. For some reason, I feel as though the gauntlet on her arms are kinda off with the lines on each one; one of them (on her right arm) is a darker-gold and the other (on her left arm) is gold. Would that be intended? I'm not trying to criticize it negatively or anything, I was just wondering.
I already asked Omni to put a smile on her in her article's comments, the more the merrier!

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
I would assume it's some kind of metallic shading going on there.
Unless I'm thinking of the wrong detail, somehow.

Top Bottom