• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
Indeed, that is true, but Miyamoto could tell Sakurai about it and he probably wouldn't turn her down like he originally had done so to Pac-Man back then.
Sakurai first turned Pac-Man down because he thought the idea of a pizza being a fighter was impossible. Shantae is not a pizza.
Truthed.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
in terms of 3rd parties who would you say is the biggest "threat" to shantae in terms of popularity.
In order of threat-ness…

Snake
Tails
Banjo & Kazooie *snicker*
Rayman
and Shovel Knight… The REAL threat

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Sakurai first turned Pac-Man down because he thought the idea of a pizza being a fighter was impossible. Shantae is not a pizza.
Truthed.
Somehow, that Shantae is not a pizza quotation humored me a bit. I thank you for that. :) But yeah, joking aside, unlike Pac-Man, other then her needing just a bit more recognition within Japan and having to compete with a few other third parties (Rayman being a big one), there isn't much stopping her beyond that.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
in terms of 3rd parties who would you say is the biggest "threat" to shantae in terms of popularity.
Snake as a veteran and Rayman as a newcomer. Those are the only real 3rd Party threats for DLC.

Shovel Knight isn't a threat. His game has no tie to Nintendo anymore, has no legacy, and most of all, STILL has no Japanese release without a confirmation of one happening before the ballot closes.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I think Rayman is pretty much one of the most (if not THE most) likely third party character. I do think Shantae is the most likely indie though.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Snake as a veteran and Rayman as a newcomer. Those are the only real 3rd Party threats for DLC.

Shovel Knight isn't a threat. His game has no tie to Nintendo anymore, has no legacy, and most of all, STILL has no Japanese release without a confirmation of one happening before the ballot closes.
Yeah, those were the only constraints to Shovel Knight in my opinion, but so many people want him its crazy. At least in America. Japanese votes might have more pull. But i still see him as a contender.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
In order of threat-ness…

Snake
Tails
Banjo & Kazooie *snicker*
Rayman
and Shovel Knight… The REAL threat
i personally don't think shovel knight really has a change.His support atleast from the begnning has died down while characters like tails or shantae have growth add in @ Burruni Burruni things and i can't see him happening.But a trophy is a possiblity

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
i personally don't think shovel knight really has a change.His support atleast from the begnning has died down while characters like tails or shantae have growth add in @ Burruni Burruni things and i can't see him happening.But a trophy is a possiblity
Hey, the less competition the better! I hope the DLC ends up being Shantae and Tails. No Knight.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Oh Snap, i meant to say Rayman was the real threat, lol, i was like, why is everyone bashing me right now?

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well cool to see everyone likes that tweak I made. Also, @ Yellowlord Yellowlord I think we could always try to tag omni here couldn't we? I'm pretty sure Hex (Omni) was poking around the thread the day before. He chatted for quite a while. I think his username was
HextupleyooDOT if I recall, if you want to try to tag him up. Not sure if he's still around as of this moment though. (Could be working on the next Smashified, or doing something else. I dunno how often he is active here myself)

Anyways.. I'll go ahead and put the original, and the tweaked render side by side again as a comparison in spoilers. It's definitely much different than before, thats for sure.

Tweaked render

Original render

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Kinda not sure if I should post this with the whole "art fiasco" we had in here a while ago, but I like how nicely drawn this is, and well, love Shantae's expression.

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Pirate-Risky-540272465

Also done by that artist that did Wind Waker Shantae.

But if it's a problem with this, I'll put it in spoilers.
218px-Tpc_artwork_gn3 Risky Boots Shantae.jpg
Not only, Shantae is my favorite, but Risky Boots, oh YES! Me, loves Risky Boots design from Pirate's Curse version is actually perfection for me to look at it all day! P.S: #ShantaeForSmash
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shan...ersion/769600476420657?notif_t=page_new_likes

North America Smash Ballot - https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/
EU-UK Smash Ballot - https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/en-uk/
Japan Smash Ballot - https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/jp/

Laniv

Smash Champion

Ok, fine. You've convinced me. I'll support Shantae.

Yes, this is born from Half-Genie Hero hype.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Put me down on that supporters list please.

And hot damn, that edited smile makes Omni"s render x10 better. And it was already awesome before!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Got another little gimp wonder to show you all!

A Shantae icon with a full head of hair! How did I manage that? A lot of painful reconstructing... and SO much blending.. oh lord the blending.. ._.

Sonic 2099 The Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonic09Hedgehog
3DS FC
4038-6177-1632
If Shantae is in Smash, This is how her Page Looks Like. if this Model Didn't Exist, Everyone Get's Off Guard

Attachments

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Can someone compile a list of new supporters for me and PM it to me? I'm currently busy with real life stuff, job searching, so i don't have a lot of time to look through posts.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Stupid theory time.

Four of the six blank character slates on the Smash Bros. website have been filled with DLC characters. Everyone seems to think that we'll only be getting six characters total because of this, and while I think this is @#$% given the current pace Nintendo is putting out DLC, though there could be a grain of truth to it: what if those blank spaces are all pre-planned DLC characters, and Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot characters come after?

It was around two and a half months ago that Lucas was announced, and he came partnered with two other characters no one (should've) expected. Going by that pattern there's another three or four months left to drop another bombshell, so it's entirely possible that we could get two more pre-planned surprise characters before the ballot closes - after that, the choices are up to the fans.

The big question is: who could the last two Nintendo-selected characters be? A possibly even bigger question is: how many votes will have been wasted on those characters in the ballot?

My personal opinion: the first spot goes to Isaac, because I find his complete lack of presence in U/3DS after being an Assist Trophy in Brawl to be highly suspect. The second spot is a toss-up between K. Rool and the Ice Climbers, hinging solely on if Nintendo can make the old 3DS stop choking on the latter (so probably K. Rool, as right now I lack better ideas of who Nintendo may actually care enough about).

Sadly I really don't expect Shantae to be one of the pre-planned characters, but one of the heavy-hitting characters being yanked out of the ballot this way could markedly improve her chances.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Stupid theory time.

Four of the six blank character slates on the Smash Bros. website have been filled with DLC characters. Everyone seems to think that we'll only be getting six characters total because of this, and while I think this is @#$% given the current pace Nintendo is putting out DLC, though there could be a grain of truth to it: what if those blank spaces are all pre-planned DLC characters, and Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot characters come after?

It was around two and a half months ago that Lucas was announced, and he came partnered with two other characters no one (should've) expected. Going by that pattern there's another three or four months left to drop another bombshell, so it's entirely possible that we could get two more pre-planned surprise characters before the ballot closes - after that, the choices are up to the fans.

The big question is: who could the last two Nintendo-selected characters be? A possibly even bigger question is: how many votes will have been wasted on those characters in the ballot?

My personal opinion: the first spot goes to Isaac, because I find his complete lack of presence in U/3DS after being an Assist Trophy in Brawl to be highly suspect. The second spot is a toss-up between K. Rool and the Ice Climbers, hinging solely on if Nintendo can make the old 3DS stop choking on the latter (so probably K. Rool, as right now I lack better ideas of who Nintendo may actually care enough about).

Sadly I really don't expect Shantae to be one of the pre-planned characters, but one of the heavy-hitting characters being yanked out of the ballot this way could markedly improve her chances.
The 6 slots are 6 pre-determined fighter.
Wolf and a Mystery Pre-determined newcomer. If the lost data from the disc has any indication, it may very well be a Rhythm Heaven character

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Stupid theory time.

I was thinking the exact same thing. We have DEFINITELY been receiving DLC fighters at too alarming of a rate for it not to be the case..

Another question with this of course:

Just how many fighters could we get out of the ballot? This question has been brought up before, but this just makes it resurface...

On one hand, we could get a handful like we're expecting. On another, there could end up being one... Which of course would definitely cause some strain. I REALLY hope it's the former... They have been producing fighters at too alarming of a rate for it not to be the case.. :/

UPDATE:

Welp... It's that time again. I have updated the tweaked Shantae render once more... this time for the presumably last time!

Changelog:

-I decided to saturate the various gold attire on her outfit a bit more. Does it look good?

-Gave the headband some POP.

-Fixed a glaring flaw in one of the bangs of her hair

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I was thinking the exact same thing. We have DEFINITELY been receiving DLC fighters at too alarming of a rate for it not to be the case..

Just how many fighters could we get out of the ballot? This question has been brought up before, but this just makes it resurface...

On one hand, we could get a handful like we're expecting. On another, there could end up being one... Which of course would definitely cause some strain. I REALLY hope it's the former... They have been producing fighters at too alarming of a rate for it not to be the case.. :/

UPDATE:

Welp... It's that time again. I have updated the tweaked Shantae render once more... this time for the presumably last time!

Changelog:

-I decided to saturate the various gold attire on her outfit a bit more. Does it look good?

The dullness of the gold was my main problem with this artwork, thank you for fixing that.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141

UPDATE:

Changelog:

I know this is probably tough without the original file, but I'm an Illustaror man, not a Photoshopper, so idk,maybe you could do it somewhat easily. Could you color swap the newest render for a Rottytops alternate costume? just wondering, and if you can't its all fine. Thanks mang.

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Here's a list of new supporters that's not on the front page yet. If anybody is not on the list let me know.

Pyropuppet
Majorauss
Laniv
Manic Rykker
Burruni
SilverEra
Sonic 2099 The Hedgehog
Serell
Damenshi
gb7zone7
BigShad
Yellowlord
TheJukeBox
CNMNE
BlitzUnleashed
Captain Hazama
dangeraaron10
lightdasher
MoveMan1
DaemonDD
Boo Jr.
CFood
Zoljinx
Spinda654
Loïc
Inawordyes
JamesDNaux
slambros
Mao644
WarioJim
Smashoperatingbuddy123
AreJay25
blujay1524
War Anvil
Wolley2xjd
ikke471
SuaveChaser
coolsye
grizby2
s07195
Solbliminal
PsychoJosh
Potatoharbinger
Iceweasel
Volaro
Camc10
Atown1z
Chico2099
Bobert77

Mudkip97
KenithTheGatherer
TeenGirlSquad
GenieGene
Shog
Vsaur
Erotic&Heretic
SuperNintendoKid
Erotic&Heretic
JCOnyx
DNeon
Ryuji
ChaosOmega
SS-bros14
Sari
SpatialPSI
Kero the Invincible
Nekoo
Darklink401
Fatmanonice
toadster101
CaptainCrisb
PsychoIncarnate
Staarih
Silvia
JDogindy
Arcadenik
Mask and Mirror
ZeroJanitor
Freduardo
Princess Toady

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Here's a list of new supporters that's not on the front page yet. If anybody is not on the list let me know.

Pyropuppet
Majorauss
Laniv
Manic Rykker
Burruni
SilverEra
Sonic 2099 The Hedgehog
Serell
Damenshi
gb7zone7
BigShad
Yellowlord