• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Serell

Smash Apprentice
As it was in Melee.
Is that a surprise?
I guess I never noticed. I never cared for Roy until now. He's such an awesome character, somehow he feels true to his old Melee self while not feeling like a Marth clone or even a semi-clone.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
i was browsing the web and i most say that i was shocked to see people say that shantae should've gotten instead of Ryu.Made me smile to know there shantae support outside of youtube and this thread
That #Shantae4Smash hype has grown stronger. Let's keep that going! :)

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
I guess I never noticed. I never cared for Roy until now. He's such an awesome character, somehow he feels true to his old Melee self while not feeling like a Marth clone or even a semi-clone.
Honestly, Roy feels like a middle ground between Ike and Marth. He's got most Ike's power but not his range, and he's got Marth's tipper mechanic except inverted and most of his speed. And yet somehow he doesn't feel like an out-and-out clone or all that changed from Melee; all he needed was some liberal balancing. It's basically how his Melee incarnation should've been.

It feels downright weird to say, but I like they way Nintendo handled the Fire Emblem swordsmen (and woman). Marth is quick and encourages distanced slashing, Roy encourages being up close and personal, Ike is slower and more powerful, and Lucina lets you enjoy the swordplay without the gimmicks. I'm still not sure I agree with the Fire Emblem reps being mostly sword users, but they managed to take the best approach possible.

That #Shantae4Smash hype has grown stronger. Let's keep that going! :)
Quoting for truth, so my post isn't entirely off-topic.

...In fact, with Ryu's introduction, I think we have another point in not just Shantae's favour, but for DLC characters in general:

Nintendo is willing to do gimmicky and truly unique characters even after the game's development cycle finished. Yes, people were expecting Ryu due to all the leaks involving him, but they weren't expecting him to bring his Street Fighter II button inputs with him, in what is quite possibly the most ironic example of a mechanically unusual fighter conceivable and yet it works out so well. If these are the lengths Nintendo is willing to go to for their DLC, then several oddball characters people wouldn't have expected to work suddenly might.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Nintendo is willing to do gimmicky and truly unique characters even after the game's development cycle finished. Yes, people were expecting Ryu due to all the leaks involving him, but they weren't expecting him to bring his Street Fighter II button inputs with him, in what is quite possibly the most ironic example of a mechanically unusual fighter conceivable. If these are the lengths Nintendo is willing to go to for their DLC, then several oddball characters people wouldn't have expected to work suddenly might.
Yep... it's these sort of absolutely unexpected, unique, and AWESOME playstyles received from a DLC character that makes this stuff look worthwhile to a lot of people... and to be honest, that aspect actually sold me when I watched the presentation.. I was already "probably" planning on getting Ryu at one point, but seeing just what he can do really just sealed it for me.

THIS was exactly the kind of DLC I was hoping to see... Veterans are ok, but this sort of stuff is exactly what I have wanted...

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hmm.... I always keep realizing this, but never actually mentioning it; its the fact that this year is Wayforward's 25th Anniversary of making games. I think a great 25th anniversary gift for them should be Shantae getting into Smash. They deserve that kind of gift.

Last edited:

CFood

Smash Cadet
Hi, I like melee more than smash 4.

Yet I love roy in this incarnation, please keep your salt and wrong accusations away from this thread thank you. Tired of newbies trashing melee fans, when we dont even talk about you guys in our threads.

As for shantae yeah i wont give up hope yet, but im going to be really cautious since sakurai's 3rd party criteria does not bode well for her, she isnt even worldwide man...

Anyway this is still all pre-ballot, I hope e3 tomorrow sheds more light on this and the direct wasnt the only thing we get.
It was just the ones who would complain about it not being what was in Melee which I was referring to. I hate complainers not Melee fans. (Which is horribly ironic cause I complain about complainers)

But it's all irrelevant now since the moveset is still the same from what I've seen and can gather, minus the down special being a little nerfed.

And still irrelevant because while Roy being DLC was relevant, his moveset doesn't matter to whether Shantae can get in or not.

Awwwwww, you got my hopes up. I thought that was something important. Still great and funny though.

Burruni

Smash Hero
It was just the ones who would complain about it not being what was in Melee which I was referring to. I hate complainers not Melee fans. (Which is horribly ironic cause I complain about complainers)

But it's all irrelevant now since the moveset is still the same from what I've seen and can gather, minus the down special being a little nerfed.

And still irrelevant because while Roy being DLC was relevant, his moveset doesn't matter to whether Shantae can get in or not.

Awwwwww, you got my hopes up. I thought that was something important. Still great and funny though.
Roy's Jab, D-Air, f-tilt, and u-tilt are changed. Everything else is basically the Melee Roy with some minor tweaks. Namely his up smash.

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
Hmm.... I always keep realizing this, but never actually mentioning it; its the fact that this year is Wayforward's 25th Anniversary of making games. I think a great 25th anniversary gift for them should be Shantae getting into Smash. They deserve that kind of gift.
I was thinking the exact same thing. A perfect Opportunity to celebrate 25 years of Wayforward than just releasing Half-Genie Hero!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
The Smashified is at 3pm EST! ^_^

Anyway, there is a bit of proof that Ryu/Roy were pre-ballot when you think about it..

Basically, We know dataminers found tell tale signs of the two (the streetfighter music and suspicious new fire emblem victory music) around the time when the mewtwo patch was released, back in April (around the time Lucas was first announced.. which was also the time the ballot was announced in the first place)

This said, it is definitely likely these two have been in the works longer, if not as long as Lucas has been in development..

Edit: I know one thing, if the smashified is Shantae, I wonder how they will pull it off.. I hope they go for the correct style >_<

Edit 2: Say, am I the only one that has hilarious stuff happen to me when I play as Pacman?... for some reason when I select that character, the Cpus always do the stupidest stuff XD

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Holy...... Shantae looks AMAZING Smashified (yes, I skipped to the end of the video, I will watch it in its entirety, but oh my god, it looks fantastic!)

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
It's... It's Beautiful! this makes me want Shantae all the more! she fits the style perfectly.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
All we need to do now is retweet the picture to Matt Bozon. If only we could retweet it to Sakurai too, though... Hopefully, he's at least heard about Shantae (maybe Ken Sugimori has told Sakurai about Shantae at least once?)

Last edited:

Serell

Smash Apprentice
The Shantae Smashified looks good, but I think she needs a bigger smile.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's Shantae!!!!!!

Edit::4greninja:'d
Not gonna lie, but that artstyle actually suits her really well. And Shantae is practically the only indie character that I support.

I bet that the Quarter Guy would love to see this given that he supports her to his fullest extent. :awesome:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I just realized something... How would DLC be rated exactly?

DLC in a way effects two things: The player who purchases the DLC, and online interactions.

In regards to the former, it is really just up to the player who bought it. It is just them getting the trophies and the character. The only way I can think of where other people can see the DLC before buying it is through the notification from the eshop, and on the internet..

in regards to the latter, the player can only really run up on the character while fighting online. The issue here is, remember that thing that is always said: "Online interactions not rated by the ESRB".. that said, would that aspect even effect the rating, since they don't technically rate online interactions?

I wonder how DLC would actually affect the rating...

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

DLC in a way effects two things: The player who purchases the DLC, and online interactions.

In regards to the former, it is really just up to the player who bought it. It is just them getting the trophies and the character. The only way I can think of where other people can see the DLC before buying it is through the notification from the eshop, and on the internet..

in regards to the latter, the player can only really run up on the character while fighting online. The issue here is, remember that thing that is always said: "Online interactions not rated by the ESRB".. that said, would that aspect even effect the rating, since they don't technically rate online interactions?

I don't think DLC get's really rated, from what I heard...

Burruni

Smash Hero

DLC is forced to be within the rating of the game it is DLC of.
It's reviewed by a subsect of the ESRB to make sure that content just doesn't break it.
IIRC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom