• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
That's not what I meant; What I meant was that the possibilty of Roy and Ryu being Smash Ballot characters could make less room for other characters, which is why I was saying Shantae might have less chances. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything of the sorts, it's just what I'm thinking. I could honestly just be overreacting about it all, and Sakurai will clarify if they are smash ballot characters or not.
They're not and there's no way they possibly could be based on the evidence we have, so you don't have to worry. :b:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
That's not what I meant; What I meant was that the possibilty of Roy and Ryu being Smash Ballot characters could make less room for other characters, which is why I was saying Shantae might have less chances. I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything of the sorts, it's just what I'm thinking. I could honestly just be overreacting about it all, and Sakurai will clarify if they are smash ballot characters or not.
It may just be my opinion, but I still have doubts any predetermined characters lessens more Ballot related characters. And I also don't believe we wouldn't get more than just one ballot DLC character. That's just my opinion, but I don't see why only a few ballot DLC characters would happen.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
It may just be my opinion, but I still have doubts any predetermined characters lessens more Ballot related characters. And I also don't believe we wouldn't get more than just one ballot DLC character. That's just my opinion, but I don't see why only a few ballot DLC characters would happen.
Honestly, I believe we could get 10 DLC Characters (but that's only at the max and Sakurai really wants to go there). And yeah, about my statement; It's honestly just me overreacting, really, as I would love to see Shantae get in Smash Bros (as she deserves it), I just don't want her chances to be lessened.

Last edited:

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice
I wake up this morning, and now I'm hearing about Roy and Ryu confirmed. From, at least, a video I came across. You know what video I'm talking about. I'm getting very confused right now if the video's official or not, especially that Falco scene...

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Well, there where 6 DLC slots found. We have 4 DLC characters: Mewtwo (ugh), Lucas, Ryu and Roy (ugh). That leaves us with 2 DLC slots. If one of those isn't Wolf, we will get 2 Chracters form the Ballot. If one of them is gonna be Wolf, then we will get only 1 character from the Ballot. So Ryu and Roy diminished the slots available, meaning that now the ballot will have even less chracters from it, wich in turn means that the Ballot will be even more competitive as there are even less slots available. So basially every pre-ballot (or not) DLC diminishes the chances of ballot characters as the competition for a slot grows.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I wake up this morning, and now I'm hearing about Roy and Ryu confirmed. From, at least, a video I came across. You know what video I'm talking about. I'm getting very confused right now if the video's official or not, especially that Falco scene...
It's real, it's from a Japanese Patch released last night prematurely.

Well, there where 6 DLC slots found. We have 4 DLC characters: Mewtwo (ugh), Lucas, Ryu and Roy (ugh). That leaves us with 2 DLC slots. If one of those isn't Wolf, we will get 2 Chracters form the Ballot. If one of them is gonna be Wolf, then we will get only 1 character from the Ballot. So Ryu and Roy diminished the slots available, meaning that now the ballot will have even less chracters from it, wich in turn means that the Ballot will be even more competitive as there are even less slots available. So basially every pre-ballot (or not) DLC diminishes the chances of ballot characters as the competition for a slot grows.
Just saying, they could always add more. They just could have had some predetermined slots for the characters planned before the ballot.

Last edited:

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice

Just saying, they could always add more. They just could have had some predetermined slots for the characters planned before the ballot.
Well, let's once again talk about hardware limitations. They can't just keep adding slots, becouse the 3DS would probably run out of space at some point. SO even if they add slots, I predict a max of two, otherwise it would be a strain on the handheld (again) Why keep the rosters the same Sakurai? Why not make version exclusives? The WiiU is lacking in sales and should get all the special treatment. Poor Ice Climbers. I dont even care about the 3DS version anymore it was like a place holder until the WiiU one came out.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
As a counter, think about it for a moment. We had no slots in the files for DLC chaacters, then Mewtwo comes out and we suddenly have six. This already shows that they can add them at will, so size and number of slots isn't an issue at all. Second, we got six slots and evidence of four characters in the files, meaning that of the six slots they specifically added, they were already using four in varying degrees of substantialness. Now, fast forward to today's leak and it's highly probable that we are getting all three tomorrow, making all four we knew about two months ago released. This leaves six months from now until the end of the ballot (anybody, if started on after the ballot closes, wouldn't be started on until November 1 at the earlier), with no characters, and two slots in the files for DLC that they already added.

Now, my point is, if they were planning six DLC characters period, why would they add two more slots than they were working on (that we know of) if they weren't planning on using them for another six months when they already clearly have the ability to add as many as they want and need? Even if Wolf came in in two, three or four months, that would leave a large gap with no DLC, just to spend it on one ballot character that we probably won't even see for months after that as well (not four-five like with Mewtwo since they'd be working on only one in that case, but still)?

The most logical explanation is that those two slots are for pre-ballot characters, probably Wolf and another newcomer, and they'll add more slots as/if they work on more characters, so anybody post-ballot isn't in any danger from a limited number of slots. That's my thinking, I'm not necessarily the 3DS hardware into account as I don't know anything about the specs, but that's where I stand, because positivity.

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Well, let's once again talk about hardware limitations. They can't just keep adding slots, becouse the 3DS would probably run out of space at some point. SO even if they add slots, I predict a max of two, otherwise it would be a strain on the handheld (again) Why keep the rosters the same Sakurai? Why not make version exclusives? The WiiU is lacking in sales and should get all the special treatment. Poor Ice Climbers. I dont even care about the 3DS version anymore it was like a place holder until the WiiU one came out.
I don't care about the WiiU version; I don't have a WiiU and I won't buy one, not with Nintendo already announcing a new console while they keep pretending that it won't replace the WiiU. Yay! New characters!

Spinda654

Smash Apprentice
Well still even though I'm pretty salty about Generic fighter Ryu and Marth Roy getting into Sm4ash, its still more characters so I'll stop complaining (This isn't the thread for this disscusion anyway).

Last edited:

BlitzUnleashed

Smash Apprentice

Thank you. Just found out about the patch releasing accidentally in Japan. Can't say I'm excited, though. This is kind of a wierd morning for me.

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
As a counter, think about it for a moment. We had no slots in the files for DLC chaacters, then Mewtwo comes out and we suddenly have six. This already shows that they can add them at will, so size and number of slots isn't an issue at all. Second, we got six slots and evidence of four characters in the files, meaning that of the six slots they specifically added, they were already using four in varying degrees of substantialness. Now, fast forward to today's leak and it's highly probable that we are getting all three tomorrow, making all four we knew about two months ago released. This leaves six months from now until the end of the ballot (anybody, if started on after the ballot closes, wouldn't be started on until November 1 at the earlier), with no characters, and two slots in the files for DLC that they already added.

Now, my point is, if they were planning six DLC characters period, why would they add two more slots than they were working on (that we know of) if they weren't planning on using them for another six months when they already clearly have the ability to add as many as they want and need? Even if Wolf came in in two, three or four months, that would leave a large gap with no DLC, just to spend it on one ballot character that we probably won't even see for months after that as well (not four-five like with Mewtwo since they'd be working on only one in that case, but still)?

The most logical explanation is that those two slots are for pre-ballot characters, probably Wolf and another newcomer, and they'll add more slots as/if they work on more characters, so anybody post-ballot isn't in any danger from a limited number of slots. That's my thinking, I'm not necessarily the 3DS hardware into account as I don't know anything about the specs, but that's where I stand, because positivity.
That would make logical sense. Personally, I would think that Nintendo would want to take advantage of this ballot and include as many appropriate characters as possible. Granted, this may be a bit optimistic as I am not aware of how much effort Nintendo is willing to put into the results of the ballot. (They could very well take the lazy and "more profitable" route by just including 1 or 2 highly voted characters.) I'm just not sure of Nintendo's thoughts concerning the ballot results, basically.

But I'm pretty sure no one is.
EDIT: We need information, dammit! We're pretty much just shooting in the dark here!

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
I find it interesting that whenever a new DLC character is announced, the conversation immediately progresses to:
"Can... can Shantae still be in Smash? How many characters will now be excluded because of this?! Nintendo?!"

I'm not saying it's unjustified or anything. (Heck, I get nervous too. I even posted my own concerns just recently.)
It's just something I noticed.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I find it interesting that whenever a new DLC character is announced, the conversation immediately progresses to:
"Can... can Shantae still be in Smash? How many characters will now be excluded because of this?! Nintendo?!"

I'm not saying it's unjustified or anything. (Heck, I get nervous too. I even posted my own concerns just recently.)
It's just something I noticed.
Its because everyone is jumping to conclusions on this and mixing up pre-ballot DLC with what we will get from the ballot..

I'll just paste what I said on another thread, just to try to calm everyone's fears:

"This is definitely starting to make a little more sense to me now..

Everyone remember that speculation that the empty spaces on the site were DLC fighters? Well it's seeming like that isn't too far-fetched now...

Except this time, it seems like its space for pre-ballot dlc.

As a rundown: Lucas was of course recently added to the site, which took up one of the five slots we had seen a few months back. Considering Roy and Ryu are pretty much confirmed at this point, it's safe to say half of those are now filled. Now here are my predictions:

We have four months until October. June, July, August, and September. I speculate we could see more pre-ballot DLC fighters confirmed from now until October. Here is one way things could go down:

option A:
June: The presentation rolls around, and Sakurai talks about Lucas a bit, and reveals a trailer for Ryu, and possible details on other content.

July: Remember that news that Sakurai was going to be at the 25th anniversary Fire Emblem Concert? Well that could make sense... this could potentially be a point when Roy gets officially confirmed.

August: Sakurai confirms an unknown fighter

September: Sakurai confirms an unknown fighter

Option B:
June: Sakurai confirms both Roy and Ryu

July: ???

August: unknown fighter confirmed

September: unknown fighter confirmed

I personally am more inclined to think something like option A would happen.

Thing is, I am wondering myself if a slate has even been set for the Ballot yet...

I mean it seems like a lot of these fighters are nearing a month apart from each other.. The current trend seems to be "character DLC gets released, and a new one gets announced".

They are producing these at a REMARKABLY fast rate. Whether or not because these are clones or semi-clones (can't really say this yet for Ryu since we have NO clue how he plays yet..), I have no clue...

Due to this, I have my doubts this will effect the ballot. It feels like more or less just stuff to hold us all off until we get to the big day! :p

That said.. we don't know how the information from the ballot will be pulled yet... We could just get one fighter, then again we could get another set of 5 or 6, like we seem to be getting with the pre-ballot DLC."

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm not sure how to feel about this...
Just wait, the next unknown fighter will be...

Wouldn't surprise me. He would be a fairly easy clone to recreate..

anyway, I'll post here what I said in another thread here too, to finish up:

Just to give an idea of what we could see "maybe" see these next few months, lets look at the vet graveyard..:

Pichu - This little bugger from Melee was a clone of Pikachu. It was BLOODY fast, but it's electric attacks could damage itself..

Young Link - The original Link clone of Melee. With the presence of Toon Link, I'm unsure how he would be adjusted to differentiate his stats from his two relatives.. His relevance as well is back up the priority bracket, thanks to the 3D remakes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask..

Wolf - The brawl semi-clone ( if he can even be called that considering his variation from the other two) of Fox/Falco. He, like Luca's cut weren't very clear. I have HIGH expectations we could see a confirmation on this guy at some point as pre-ballot DLC

Ice Climbers - Cut from Brawl. As we know, these fellows were cut for less... "good" reasons. These guys disappeared from the game due to the limitations of the 3DS. If these guys made a comeback, it would probably be in a form of buffing them up and splitting them apart (Having 4 alt costumes be Popo, and 4 be Nana, so to speak.)

Snake - The cut Konami rep from brawl. Reasons for the cut unknown. Perhaps might have been to do with copyright issues?.. Either way, it could possibly be considered a more worthwhile affair for Nintendo & Konami, what with this stuff being paid dlc.

While a lot of these are clones... it is important to remember this: "They are clones"...

Clones take much less dev time to create. (Especially when you consider how whomever gets announced tomorrow will have been announced just barely a month apart from Lucas..) That said, it wouldn't be a surprise if we see some of these dead fighters come back from the grave as pre-ballot fighters..

As a reminder, before anyone starts raging, I will state again: THERE. IS NO. SUCH THING. AS CHARACTER SLOTS...That is just a fan created term made by fans, thinking there is some sort of limitation on how many fighters can get in the game.. in reality, that stuff is determined by uniqueness, moveset pools, yada yada, WE HAVE BEEN THROUGH THIS..
There is NO reason for worry here. The ballot isn't even over yet and everyone is already starting to shout doomsday.. -_-
Can we just ignore these guys for now and just think about the BALLOT? The general POINT of these campaign threads?... I am not going to let some simple pre-ballot DLC fighters get to me. It shouldn't get to any of you either...

Alright, mini rant over. Can we please refocus on the thread's main objective again now?

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I want to say in my own words that Ryu & Roy both look absolutely amazing and that this doesn't hurt anybodys chances in the ballot at all. I now have confidence that more third party characters will be put in smash bros now, which also increases Shantae's chances and with the possibility of getting 3 characters in a bundle tomorrow we could be getting more characters than what most people are predicting. So with that said there's no need to overreact or start to panic, just keep on spreading the word to have more people Vote 4 Shantae!!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Honestly, It sounded like Ryu and Roy was already in the making far before ballots came out. So don't worry, we still have time guys.
Yep. Everyone needs to just calm down, and forget about the pre-ballot stuff. That stuff is set in stone sort of stuff. It's the post-ballot we need to focus on..

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
To be honest, ANYTHING is possible at this point. Ya just gotta keep pushing.. I mean sheesh TWO previously precieved rules were broken in one day XD ( The "Character can't be from a fighting game" (though :4littlemac: technically knocked that out but you get the point), and the "one character per 3rd party company" thing.)

I'd say if Ryu can get in, a character that marks the second character for a 3rd party dev in the game already, Shantae has just as good of a chance..

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
Holy crap, why does everyone think this decreases the chances of Shantae getting in? I'll have to bring my points out of the spoiler.

1) Nintendo is actually allowing third-party characters, dispelling any doubt that was still around after the official statement on third-parties.
2) Nintendo is working on characters before the ballot closes, which by extension means that Nintendo is...
3) ...not even possibly stopping at six DLC characters, considering how many we might get before the ballot even closes and the sheer number of highly-desired entrants in the ballot already.

Have a little faith, guys. If anything this increases her chances, quite dramatically in fact.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Yeah.. this kind of salty, hateful reaction people are giving is exactly why I worry at times that this might be the ONLY Fighter ballot we see...

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah.. this kind of salty, hateful reaction people are giving is exactly why I worry at times that this might be the ONLY Fighter ballot we see...
It probably goes without saying, but I'd imagine fear is probably a good deal responsible for such fiery rage...

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
It probably goes without saying, but I'd imagine fear is probably a good deal responsible for such fiery rage...
Exactly. I've seen in some threads where some users are giving up over this crap... and it's REALLY, to put it bluntly pissing me off...

Funny how something so simple, something people should actually be HAPPY FOR (Considering we are getting DLC still from now up to the end of the ballot), can instead be met with such stupidity... I swear this feels like pre-release all over again..

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Whenever I read these messages of anger and disappointment concerning DLCs, I'm reminded of how emotional and irrational kids can get.

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Exactly. I've seen in some threads where some users are giving up over this crap... and it's REALLY, to put it bluntly pissing me off...

Funny how something so simple, something people should actually be HAPPY FOR (Considering we are getting DLC still from now up to the end of the ballot), can instead be met with such stupidity... I swear this feels like pre-release all over again..
It really is a wonderful thing, this ballot. I mean that.
For a handful of reasons, but mainly because this creates a glimmer of hope for the less recognized characters to gain just that, recognition.

But the problem is that people treat it like an end-all be-all war zone. It also doesn't help that we know next to nothing about its inner workings from Nintendo. We can deduce and reason, but the truth is that we currently know very little. This has created fear and desperation among the fans that want more than anything to have their star character included, because they have no way of knowing just how well they're doing in the polls or if it even matters in the end.

So by default, everyone is assuming that they must overwhelm the competition in order to get Nintendo's attention. This in turn, creates a powerful dedication which flares up in the form of heated debates and paranoia regarding every little addition of DLC.
(Granted, these are simply my personal opinions and I'm probably preaching to the choir here.)

Last edited:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman

What ELSE would you be expecting? This IS The SMASH BROTHERS community, after all....

It really is a wonderful thing, this ballot. I mean that.
For a handful of reasons, but mainly because this creates a glimmer of hope for the less recognized characters to gain just that, recognition.
But the problem is that people treat it like an end-all be-all war zone. It also doesn't help that we know next to nothing about its inner workings from Nintendo. We can deduce and reason, but the truth is that we currently know very little. This has created fear and desperation among the fans that want more than anything to have their star character included, because they have no way of knowing just how well they're doing in the polls or if it even matters in the end.
So by default, everyone is assuming that they must overwhelm the competition in order to get Nintendo's attention. This in turn, creates a powerful dedication which flares up in the form of heated debates and paranoia regarding every little addition of DLC.
(Granted, these are simply my personal opinions and I'm probably preaching to the choir here.)
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Last edited:

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
It's been quite a crazy day for us smash fans, huh? Ihaven'tpostedhereinawhileeither.

The reception of Ryu and Roy seems to be kind of mixed throughout the community. I'm personally pretty happy that both of them made it in, but that's enough but those two since this is Shantae's thread after all. Apparently Half-Genie-Hero's demo was given to some backers a few days ago. For those of you who did back and get the demo, how was it? From the gameplay up on YT, it looks fantastic.

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
I suppose we should've expected this reaction, really. Proof towards the contrary be damned, the vast majority of the voters are still convinced that the number of DLC spots are severely limited, so seeing possibly three of them taken up in one day caused a lot of panic. Which is rather sad because there was evidence of Roy and Ryu long before this reveal, and that evidence was blared through every online outlet possible. They should've seen this coming.

Everyone is worried that we're only getting six DLC characters total. Seeing as we've already gotten four barely even halfway through the ballot timeframe, one of which (Ryu) I'm quite sure not a lot of people thought was possible, I honestly think just six characters isn't even remotely likely anymore. I fully expect us to have six characters before the ballot closes, and then we'll get a handful more of the popular characters from the ballot results. This doesn't crap on Shantae's or anyone else's chances, in fact it makes them infinitely better. So keep the hype train rolling and keep voting!

It's been quite a crazy day for us smash fans, huh? Ihaven'tpostedhereinawhileeither.

The reception of Ryu and Roy seems to be kind of mixed throughout the community. I'm personally pretty happy that both of them made it in, but that's enough but those two since this is Shantae's thread after all. Apparently Half-Genie-Hero's demo was given to some backers a few days ago. For those of you who did back and get the demo, how was it? From the gameplay up on YT, it looks fantastic.
I can vouch for its quality. Three short stages meant to show off some of the gameplay, and it all looks beautiful and plays beautifully. I can't wait for the finished product.

Last edited:
Top Bottom