• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Gimp List (Yes, I'm updating it)

???????

Smash Journeyman
Falcon and Gdorf do not regain double jump from Down-B.
I'm aware of that, I was referring to their momentum exploits with the moves (Yes they can only be used after considerable vertical knockback, but they are still important to note).

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Multiple jumps doesn't save anyone. Mario could just as easily cape the jumps and turn his opponent's momentum in the opposite direction and possibly set up for a Fair spike.
I think that it does save him. That being that he can just as easily hit Mario out of the air, if a Mario tried to jump off stage to attack him before the Dedede Up-B'd. That is no problem for a Dedede as far as I can tell, only the Up-B, is a problem.

And to ?????. Sorry to sound angry, I didn't mean to. The internet is a hard place to discuss things on seriously. I believe Mario to a fine character and all.

I don't know why, but for some reason I didn't expect Mario's cape to affect my Up-B at all :p I shouldn't have thought that, and maybe that part is an underestimation of mine. I guess that I thought that because I have heard for the longest time that Brawl Mario's cape doesn't really affect recoveries, though I see that that is far wrong.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Two other important points to consider:

*The Cape Glide*

*F.L.U.D.D.'s effect on midair jumps, gimping especially*

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Dedede is probably in the mid section of gimp-ability

He has multiple jumps, he can use his Bair to **** you over while he's recovering(I'm sure he can use just about any move I'm just throwing Bair out there) The only real down side to Dedede's recovery is the fact that his Up-B is so predictable

Kirby is not hard at all to gimp...he's exactly the same as Dedede except he isn't a big *** penguin

Metaknight is definatly in the hard category no doubt Multiple jumps, Gliding, Shuttle Loop, Tornado the only bad part about his recovery is if he uses side-B he can be caped

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I think that it does save him. That being that he can just as easily hit Mario out of the air, if a Mario tried to jump off stage to attack him before the Dedede Up-B'd. That is no problem for a Dedede as far as I can tell, only the Up-B, is a problem.
Though ddd's aerials outrange his cape, they are all much slower and laggier. The only aerials quicker are nair and bair which the cape outranges due to its disjointed hitbox. Also keep in mind that Mario can hinder his movement with fireballs and aerials of his own to vary his approach and coax ddd into using his up B.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight is definatly in the hard category no doubt Multiple jumps, Gliding, Shuttle Loop, Tornado the only bad part about his recovery is if he uses side-B he can be caped
I agree, Meta Knight is hard to gimp overall, but I see him as one of the easier "Hard" recoveries to gimp.

Thank you, I added the video along with a video section.

???????

Smash Journeyman
This thread is a little sloppy, perhaps we should have a specific character each week to discuss.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Sure. I think Meta Knight has a very powerful recovery, but due to low horizontal air movement and a lack offensive recovery options I think he ranks in either top of mid or bottom of hard.

boss8

Smash Hero
while metaknight does his b up to return spray him while he is flying....and it creates lagg for him....jump up and cape him....id put metaknight in mid gimp and snake in easy gimp once snake is off stage its an easy kill IMO...

boss8

Smash Hero
Remember!!.....FLUDD is an amazing edgeguarding technique......

mario-the gimping is even....take your chance with the reverse cape edge guard......

luigi-same except wait for the opportunity for him to tornado so u can spray that as well the lagg will be to much for him and it's another easy cape when he missles..

peach faily hard to her flying capibiltys i have nothing to say for this one i cant gimp peach :(

bowser.....fairly easy to spray his B-up and then cape....

donkey kong......same as bowser

diddy kong fairly hard...his money hump can interfear with your edge guarding doings...

yoshi-is pretty mid...not to easy not to hard...

wario-Hard...his motorcycle is a big target to cape....but he can jump off no problem......easiest is to spray bike and cape...scareing wario off his bike....give him another hit if u can.....Remember!! wario's B-up doesn't sweetspot!!....easy cape..

link-farly easy...you no the routine...

zelda/shiek-both are pretty mid....(no idea :()

ganondorf-spray water is your safest approach when he is off stage due to his ganoncide....DONT get to close!!! http://youtube.com/watch?v=xwcPcy7jN00 <---- example

toon link-same as link...except toon link has more priority and glides....

samus-IMO i don't think u can gimp samus....bomb jump.....grapple...and her B-up is ridiculous.....nearly impossiable (hard)

pit-nearly impossible to gimp as well due to gliding capibilites....amazing b-up recovery and arrows....(hard)

ice climbers-(mid) they can be sprayed most likely they want to recover from the bottom to auto sweet spot prevent that using fludd and cape....

ROB-(hard) rob's b-up can last a while it's amazing spraying water will only elevate his chances for coming up.....cape also screws his recovery up but it takes a while and patience....

kirby/metaknight/deedeedee-IMO they are all equal fludd cape it all works the same...fairly easy...

olimar-(easy) wow it's not hard at all once the edge is gone this little astronuat is scrwed....

fox/falco/wolf-(easy) there forward B can be fludded leaving them open for an easy cape.....wolf is a little harder due to his amazing forward B recovery....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGW8JK0ETYM

captain falcon-i don't need to explain...(easy)

pikachu-(mid) his B-up is fairly fast follow it with water easy cape.....also i spike setup XD...

charizard(easy)-you no the routine....

squartile-his is a little more difficult out of all the pokemon but it is still fairly possible(mid)

bulbasuar-similar to olimar..(easy)

lucario-(easy) his b-up has to transaction and cannot hurt you easy edgeguard.

jigglypuff-(hard) a floaty character can easy counter all your capibilities...

marth-(mid) easy spray to cape...becareful to not get gimped by his B-up....

ike....(mid) his side B is easy but his B-up is more of a challenge.....http://youtube.com/watch?v=yqESMc8hS-8<-----demostration
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1AxG3HX_9GU&feature=related

ness/lucas(hard)-there B-up has been buffed in this game getting close can be deadly but again can be sprayed...find an opening.....

GaW-(hard) his B-up is amazing he is capable to go throug hthe water and not be interuptedat all....cape gives him no trouble due to parachuting...

snake-(hard) can infinetly come back off of his B-down...and while cypher is caped he gets another one >_>

sonic-(mid) his B-up can only be interuupted by fludd and push him back causeing him to come forward.......easy cape

use your edgeguarding techniques whisely and i thank u.....

thank u mike hawk................ http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Uill9wgXQ4&amp;feature=related

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I think we should start with one character at a time seeing as we all have mixed views. Let's start with MK?

Edit: I agree with Boss' list aside from:

Yoshi- One cape at his double jump and he's out. He can't even properly defend himself and his UpB is pathetic as an alternative recovery without his jump. Easy imo.

Diddykong- Side B can be easily sprayed to prevent being killed yourself, and caping the upB is almost too easy as it has the same effect as caping Wolf's upB. Timing can be screwed up, however, and there is moderate risk, so i'd negotiate about mid.

Samus- Well placed fireballs can ruin bomb jump, her aerial movement is slow and easily hindered by cape and fireballs, and her upB is too easy to cape. Tethers screw up edgeguarding tho, so I say mid.

Ness/Lucas- I definitely say both are easy. Their up Bs will NEVER connect if you spray them. It knocks them out of normal trajectory so their pk thunders miss them and leave them plummeting to their deaths. This is assuming you didn't spray the pk thunder itself and extinguish it, leaving them with no possible way of getting back.\

Pit- I'll negotiate mid because of how good arrows are at protecting his recovery, even though fireballs **** his upB.

???????

Smash Journeyman
I appreciate all your input but I think it would be in our best interests to devote our discussion for the week on Meta Knight, R.O.B., Pit, Charizard, and Mr. Game & Watch.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Agreed. So we just post what we think about gimping each particular recovery?

???????

Smash Journeyman
Yes, the F.L.U.D.D. stops most of Meta Knight's horizontal air momentum so his midair jumps are fairly easy to gimp.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Yah, but this was to brainstorm on all the possible combinations on how to gimp each character individually.

Famous

Smash Champion
Well, I've played some pretty good ROBS and it's not really that hard to gimp them due to the fact that they're vulnerable when they use there up b move. There so easy to wall of pain with bairs. Just keep them out there until they run out of gas and cape them or cape cancel ledgehog.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Interestingly enough, I am here. I apologize; my absence has been due to a restrictive schedule.

*I have and will be busy, but will attempt to help as much as possible for the moment*

*The list will be updated, but more discussion is needed as well*

*Thank you for your patience*

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Interestingly enough, I am here. I apologize; my absence has been due to a restrictive schedule.

*I have and will be busy, but will attempt to help as much as possible for the moment*

*The list will be updated, but more discussion is needed as well*

*Thank you for your patience*

OMG ITS A MIRACLE!!!!! ?????? ur back. i missed u
lol jk but seriously its been a while man...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Zomg (zombies! oh my God), you're back! Dude, we needed another smart dude helpin us with Boss' list!

GTF to work! :laugh:

Glad to have u back, srsly. You came back outta nowhere...like Goku or somethin

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Let's start with ZSS since we're on the subject in Boss' thread. We should keep them on the same subject.

vato_break

Smash Master
ok well zero suit has two jumps plus a jump kick and a tether recovery
i'd say she's fairly hard to gimp if she is recovering from above but, if she's recovering from below id say she's much easyier to gimp.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
zamus can be edeguarded fairly easy when below, do to mario's cape stalling, fludd, and cape

when she's on top it takes precise timing which is difficult.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
She can't do much about Fludd. Characters that can't be flexible with their recoveries and can't protect their descent to the stage are too easy to edgeguard. ZSS is an example of this because if she loses a jump, she can't recover. If she tries to mindgame her way to the edge and get a little tricky with the jumps, she loses height and is vulnerable to edgehogging. If you take advantage of this, she shouldn't recovery without at least taking damage on her way back.

Top Bottom