• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Georgia SSBM House League - SEPT. 25th - $150 Grntd!

PB&J

Smash Hero
here's the difference
You want to further the current scene
I want to expand the scene

Georgia doesn't have enough smashers. My idea is to generally increase said number of smashers.
Yours is to support the existing fledgling scene.

In my opinion, the big reason why our scene sucks is because we only have maybe 20 active players at any given time.

if anything, a combination of efforts would probably have been the best choice to make. If you wanted to attract some newer players, you could have the weeklies be a little cheaper to enter so new players wouldn't "feel like they threw $10 away" to increase attendance. I understand that you want the weeklies to be $10 because it promotes more serious competition and would probably draw in our existing players.

It appears I'm at an impasse thinking about this by myself.
ga isnt good as it is for many reasons.

one thing is everybody thinks there better than the other person..which is funny to me..just play smash,learn and get better

other thing is..alot of us dont even play with each other..i know me merck,soft and shag play alot during the week..shag lives like more than an hour away..where there are plenty of others who live within 20-30 minutes from me.

dogysamich lives pretty far so im not blaming him.

but i live in lawrenceville and that is like the center area of ga smash at the moment smashfest will help out, but people want to play at certain people's house..whoa "fox killer 3000 is there..im def not going there to play" i mean..we play a video game. lets play video games..too much favoritism in smash when we can get much better if we were united

last thing is..everybody wants to run tournies a certain way or at a certain place. all i heard u do sleepy is down josh's tourny idea which it is the best thing that happened to ga in a while.

Ga smashers- stop thinking that no one will show up at tournies..just go to get better and have fun.

4th thing which is prob the most important..we need a different venue thats not waba and close to the lawrenveville area since there are alot of smashers here(tbag,rock lee,martin,blue jim,etc) yes they still play

Venue would help out alot if we throw other tournies and want oos to come thats not the to series.

last thing - we need brawl and melee tournies- brawl players like melee..anti is playing more and more melee just because of apex..big lou plays and im sure others do.

ps. and making the tournies cheaper wont do anything..how much money do we spend on stupid things..lets stop being cheap for once
nuff said

S0FT

Smash Ace
You keep making general statements about what will attract new players

You say you want to see the Ga smash scene improve and grow

Yet you seem to be fighting me when I finally try to do something about it!

There are NOT fresh faces eagerly awaiting the day smash tournaments lower their prices.

There are NOT fresh faces that need crews in GA in order to start playing SSBM.

NONE of these ideas are going to attract NEW smashers.

New smashers do not care about a $5 difference in price or a crew existing in their area.

They join because they like the game.

You said I am not reading your posts, but all your post brag of ways to bring in new players without
any specific details on how.

Most of your ideas are an excellent way to help enrich the existing community, but please stop labeling
them as a better way to bring in new smashers.

S0FT

Smash Ace
The best way to get new players is to go to tournaments that have a large number of other games. Like final round etc. that is where we get most of out new faces these days...

Anyway, I didnt really want to start an argument in my thread sooo...

Next weekly is gonna be beast!

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
When I read this I imagined some black guy saying it. But then I pictured the white guy that goes to tech saying it. Pretty funny.

Yeah, Kosine is pretty good at smash. kazoo is awful. And xif is a huge ******. Idk what other melee is there.

Um the world would **** you guys

I feel ya bra.
Can't I be black on the inside, white on the outside? Black people are definitely more hype :laugh:

The world would **** us? YOU HEAR THAT SOFT, MERCK, PB&J; let's do this hahahahaha

BBQ°

Smash Champion
i'm gonna **** everyone once I get back from orlando... but only if I'm able to play with hbox haha.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
ga isnt good as it is for many reasons.

one thing is everybody thinks there better than the other person..which is funny to me..just play smash,learn and get better

other thing is..alot of us dont even play with each other..i know me merck,soft and shag play alot during the week..shag lives like more than an hour away..where there are plenty of others who live within 20-30 minutes from me.

dogysamich lives pretty far so im not blaming him.

but i live in lawrenceville and that is like the center area of ga smash at the moment smashfest will help out, but people want to play at certain people's house..whoa "fox killer 3000 is there..im def not going there to play" i mean..we play a video game. lets play video games..too much favoritism in smash when we can get much better if we were united

last thing is..everybody wants to run tournies a certain way or at a certain place. all i heard u do sleepy is down josh's tourny idea which it is the best thing that happened to ga in a while.

Ga smashers- stop thinking that no one will show up at tournies..just go to get better and have fun.

4th thing which is prob the most important..we need a different venue thats not waba and close to the lawrenveville area since there are alot of smashers here(tbag,rock lee,martin,blue jim,etc) yes they still play

Venue would help out alot if we throw other tournies and want oos to come thats not the to series.

last thing - we need brawl and melee tournies- brawl players like melee..anti is playing more and more melee just because of apex..big lou plays and im sure others do.

ps. and making the tournies cheaper wont do anything..how much money do we spend on stupid things..lets stop being cheap for once
nuff said
That "elitism" you mentioned imo is the point of the whole crew thing. IMO we're all too friendly when it comes to competing because our scene is so small. It's not "oh xxx is there, i don't want to play there" it's "oh xxx lives there, let's go play over there." as you can see, since people in ga just drive to other areas (like shag). more detail later about the crews thing, i guess i should make that thread sometime soon.

What? I really like Josh's tournament series. I never said it was a bad idea or anything.

Lowering the price works. Guess how many people entered the free melee tournament for experience at US Gaming arena?

also, saying "let's stop being cheap for once" is easy to say, but once again, not everybody has the money for a door fee + tourney fee. the venues are nice and work well for what they're used for. It's just that the tournaments are primarily brawl and a lot of our players are primarily brawl players. For example, I'm picking up brawl. Am I going to enter the waba tournaments while I don't have a job? no, because mentally I can't justify putting in $20 (10 door fee + 10 entry fee) when I know i could have saved it for vital things I need in the future. I understand that you make sacrifices for the game, but there's no need to make stupid ones.

For example, lounis, who is good at both games, only entered brawl for a while when he wasn't working because it was too much money each weekend.
Why don't Tommy and Jim enter btw?
Tommy used to make money johns (door fee + entry fee lol waba) but he should be able to make these house tournaments.

You keep making general statements about what will attract new players

You say you want to see the Ga smash scene improve and grow

Yet you seem to be fighting me when I finally try to do something about it!

There are NOT fresh faces eagerly awaiting the day smash tournaments lower their prices.

There are NOT fresh faces that need crews in GA in order to start playing SSBM.

NONE of these ideas are going to attract NEW smashers.

New smashers do not care about a $5 difference in price or a crew existing in their area.

They join because they like the game.

You said I am not reading your posts, but all your post brag of ways to bring in new players without
any specific details on how.

Most of your ideas are an excellent way to help enrich the existing community, but please stop labeling
them as a better way to bring in new smashers.
you're not looking at them as long term ideas.
you're assuming i mean that people are waiting in the sidelines to jump on the opportunity to join the game, but that's not what i mean at all. my ideas are to make participating in melee more attractive to brawlers and beginners.
the idea with crews is to bolster our existing scene in the long run so more people have more places to smash and increase the general competitive feel of GA. Certainly we could do this without crews, but crews are a fun and easy way to get people hype about things. Draft crews not so much. by increase the competitive feel, I'm referring to the fact that GA as a whole is too friendly when it comes to smash because our scene is small. Like Evan said, the big scene for GA smash is located in a concentric area and we just drive to each other's houses and play friendlies with each other for hours. The sense of companionship is stronger than the sense of competition, which in a way is a good thing, i guess.

new smashers certainly do care about $5 as many of the "new smashers" could be brawlers who want to pick up melee. many "new" smashers (brawlers or not) can feel like they're throwing their money away. For example, Dan and I took Dan's friend Chris to POE3. we were playing with him before the drive and he was having a good time. Chris has been kind of playing competitive melee on and off for the past few years. He played some friendlies when we got to the venue, and instead of being more excited to play in the tournament, he decided he wasn't going to enter because he felt like the 10 or 15 dollars to enter was just going to be wasted money for him. had the price been lower, it would have been easier for him to mentally justify the "loss."

you think i'm fighting you when it comes to this tournament series, but i'm certainly not. I really like the idea and it's an easy way to do all the good things we need to bolster the existing scene and possibly bring in new players. I never said "this is a bad idea" or "this tournament series is stupid/isn't going to go well" or anything like that.
I understand if I seemed "hostile" when mentioning clashing dates, but I just wanted to bring it to your attention and not let it get you discouraged, as it would affect attendance. HBox said he wanted to come to one, but he definitely couldn't when he was hosting a WATO! but he's still interested, which means a lot for this series. That's the kind of thing I wanted to bring up.
If you read my previous post (which I admit was kinda vague) I honestly think if we combined our efforts, GA's scene could easily explode the way NCs has.

The best way to get new players is to go to tournaments that have a large number of other games. Like final round etc. that is where we get most of out new faces these days...
I would like to agree with you about FR, but you've seen how that has gone in the past. :/

long post.

for the too long;didn't read, here's what i said

"lol"

PB&J

Smash Hero
tommy and them will be at the tourny this weekend and a free tourny is a free tourny..my mom might enter that if she could..its free..these house tournies have no door fee..15 total with teams..thats cheap imo

and like i said crew would be great but not location crews since everyone in our location doesnt even play each other..since crews are for rivalries and hype ..forming any crew would help

SleepyK

The point is to have people play each other. They're more likely to do so if in a crew with a central location for them to smash.

15 isn't bad if you're normally a melee player who goes to melee tournaments.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
I'm so lonely in Duluth ;__;
I only have Ken.
You realize you live like, 15 minutes from me.

@ All above tourney/improving GA discussion:

I feel that the players who are truly dedicated to improving/expanding GA smash should have a council at this weekly on saturday. I've exerted many efforts myself in the past and will continue to do so- but we should all try to get on the same page as far as our ideas. Infighting will slow our efforts and all in all reduce our efficiency, which as we all know- is a smasher's bread and butter. :)

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
You realize you live like, 15 minutes from me.

@ All above tourney/improving GA discussion:

I feel that the players who are truly dedicated to improving/expanding GA smash should have a council at this weekly on saturday. I've exerted many efforts myself in the past and will continue to do so- but we should all try to get on the same page as far as our ideas. Infighting will slow our efforts and all in all reduce our efficiency, which as we all know- is a smasher's bread and butter. :)
This.

I don't think anyone can really disagree with the suggestion of logical reasonable discussions about the direction GA smash should take... sounds good, though I might be missing something =PP

Also, I'm feeling like we actually have a number of dedicated players who all really want to improve in a scope beyond just GA. I'm pleasantly surprised :)

S0FT

Smash Ace
In order to expand, this state needs a hero, a symbol. I could be that symbol. Ill be whatever GA needs me to be!

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman
The best way to get new players is by direct means:

A) Make friends with someone who plays video games and introduce them to Melee
B) Set up Smash events and advertise for Smash in places other than SWF. (ie your school or local game store)

Lowering the price and having free tournaments will certainly attract new players, but what good is that if the new players aren't even aware of these tournaments?

But all in all, the only way they this new person is going to stick with it is if they have a passion for it and that's the hardest quality to find in a new player. Sometimes you really have to push people who don't want to practice or actively search/find rides to tournaments, and I'm speaking to myself here too, cause I'm really not too active in expanding the scene.

In my area there are 6 people who are already pretty good but never attend tournaments (Chris/Casey/Tato/Marthyboy/Mike/Ryan) but none of them except maybe Mike and Tato really have a passion for it. The others are busy with school and work and are pretty much past their Smash days or simply choose to do other things instead of play Smash.

Passion, potential and dedication are hard to find. Think about why most of us are good at Smash. We didn't have anything to do on weekends and spent a long time practicing in our room. That or we had a friend do that for us (go with to tournaments/smashfest etc)

Maybe we should just kidnap some high schoolers and make them Smash. It's not like they're doing anything with their weekends.

D

Deleted member

Incorporate the Brawl players into playing Melee. They're interested. There needs to be a larger effort there as well.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Tubes looks like Jesus and he plays melee. we can use that to our advantage in expanding the scene.

SleepyK

yoo emory campus? my friends are there! Gene/Chavo and my good friend Ryan Valeriano/Holywack.

you should hit them up.

actually, i should hit them up.

Pwood

Smash Rookie
I'm going there tomorrow for my friend's 21st birthday...

this is too cool! At home I only played with a few buddies and none of them were really serious. I taught them some stuff but it was usually just us getting ripped and me sandbagging. I'm kinda ready to get destroyed so I can get better...lol

GOD!

Smash Ace
lol sleepyk will do that to you.

Then he'll tell you you're terrible over and over and over again.

SleepyK

it's not that you're bad, it's that you need to understand that you have a lot to learn before you can be any semblance of good. the easiest way to get this message across is to honestly break down egos. peter, you had this problem, then i beat you with bottom tier characters and you finally understood.
btw what's with your "trolling" on swf? it's not really winning you any points when you're unintentionally antisocial with smash to begin with. if nobody knows you and you troll hard, other people's first impressions of you will be that posting style.
basically, since i hardly know you, my current opinion of you is that you're kind of an unlikeable person.

pwood doesn't seem to have this problem and understands that he has to learn a lot.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Wooo new player to GA smash community? =D

Edit: To whoever said the last weekly was stacked... this one's even moreso =D

SleepyK

hey alpha, what's the columbus scene doing lately? i'm planning on heading over there next weekend travel thing i can do. Trying to get Reflex/kismet + you guys involved

Top Bottom