• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The General Game-Playing and Discussion Thread

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
This thread is making me want to try a more challenging run of one of my games. I'm planning on doing a Scramble Challenge.

For those unfamiliar with this type of challenge it's basically just a runthrough of a game using only Pokémon chosen for you by others with the following rules:
Unbreakable Rules:
- No duplicate Pokémon
- No unevolveable "useless Pokémon" (Caterpie, Metapod, Weedle, Kakuna, Magikarp, Unown, Wurmple, Silcoon, Cascoon, Feebas, Kricketot, Burmy, Combee, Tynamo)
- No legendaries
- One suggestion per person (breaking this is up to the one posting the challenge)
- First six suggestions to fit the criteria of the challenge are the team to be used

When posting your challenge, you must give the following:
- The version you're playing
- Whether you can trade or not. This is to let others know if they can suggest Pokémon that must be traded to evolve or Pokémon not natively found in your version
- Any extra rules on suggestions specific to your run. This can be something such as only obtainable by a certain Gym or the E4, must come from the PokéWalker, certain number of suggestions must fulfill one or more criteria, etc.
- Anything you refuse to use (most hated Pokémon, specific Hidden Powers, Move Tutors, etc.). If you're given anything that isn't mentioned here, sucks for you because you are stuck with it.

Note for players:
- Unless otherwise prohibited by the suggestor or your own rules (NFE only run for example) all Pokémon are allowed to evolve.
- Use of non-Scramblemons is allowed so long as their use is limited to field moves (HMs), capturing Scramblemons, and healing fodder.

More complete and detailed rules can be found here.
My details:
Game: SoulSilver
Trade?: yes
Other rules on suggestions:
- no specific Hidden Power types or powers (I don't even have the patience to breed for these normally)
- no Move Tutor moves (Relearner is fine)
- Must be obtainable before E4.

So, bring on the suggestions!

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Get a Nidoking named Nido. Has to learn Sunny Day and Swagger.

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
Interesting that nothing crazy has been suggested so far.

Team so far:
1. Ledian
2. Furret named "CandyCane" with Amnesia and Baton Pass
3. Nidoking named "Nido" with Sunny Day and Swagger

Half way there...

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Pick any Pokemon of your choice, but all of its moves must be the same type

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I actually think I'm gonna do a scramblocke after my Rube NFE Locke.

Game: Emerald
Trade: Yes...? (Not sure what it means by this; that I can trade evolve, or that I'm trading the pokemon over to the game...)
Other Rules:
~No specific hidden power types
~No post-E4 moves (Past level 60, Battle frontier move tutor, etc)
~NO POOCHYENA (Mightyena is fine... No Poochyena, though.)
~If a pokemon faints, it is dead.
~Nickname clause!

12 Pokemon Needed!
1) Wingull (First to fully evolve, no attacking moves besides when caught and one HM) *Make it Rain*
2) Shedinja (No Restrictions)
3) Swalot (Stockpile required)
4) Castform (All 3 weather forms must be accessable)
- 5) Mr. Mime [Mr. Swag] (Baton Pass required) ~Ryker~
- 6) Clefable [Fliptable] (Special Sweeper required) ~Ryker~
- 7) Krabby (Must have crabhammer) ~Raziek~
8) Tropius (Not allowed to have fly) ~Raziek~
9) Nosepass [Raziek] (Must know Zapcannon) ~Armor~
10) Corsola (Must have spike cannon) ~Armor~
11)
12)

Edit: Since I have so many spots to fill, each person can suggest two pokemon if they like!

:D.

~~ = Dgames suggestions

Edit edit: I'm going to bring eggs in at the very beginning (aka hack them in) of all the pokemon that I can't catch in emerald so I can't bring in egg moves.

Those pokemon will be marked with hyphens before the numbers.

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
Get a Ledian.

End of Suggestion.

Actually, I wont be a huge douche.

Get an Tentacruel named Squidward.

Must know Toxic Spikes and HydroPump
I'm sticking with your first suggestion of Ledian.

Pick any Pokemon of your choice, but all of its moves must be the same type
I was thinking coverage wouldn't be too much of a problem until I saw this. Still, I got a couple ideas, but won't decide until the rest of the suggestions are filled.

I actually think I'm gonna do a scramblocke after my Rube NFE Locke.

Trade: Yes...? (Not sure what it means by this; that I can trade evolve, or that I'm trading the pokemon over to the game...)
Other Rules:
~Nickname clause!

:D.
Good luck with this. You're definitely going to want more than six Pokémon for this otherwise you might be going into a Gym Leader or the E4 with a partial team. Perhaps ask for new suggestions when someone dies?

Telling people whether you can trade or not lets them know if they can suggest trade evolve Pokémon or something from outside the version you're playing.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Make me use tentacruel when I just got a tentacool in my NFE-locke haha. What a boss.

Also, I can trade xD.

I'm going to accept 12 pokemon. (Or is that too many?)

Edit: Update on my run~

Defeated 1st gym with no losses.
No RNG due to only having 4 pokemon.
Caught Makuhita (Team)
Caught Magikarp (Box)
Caught Tentacool (Team)
Defeated 2nd gym with no losses.
RNG'd Whismur into the box; RNG'd Magikarp onto the team.
RIP Lv. 5 Magikarp
Caught Electrike (Team)
Defeated Rival with no losses.
RNG'd Tentacool into the box; RNG'd Whismur onto the team.
Caught Illumise. (Box)
Defeated 3rd gym with no losses.
RNG'd Whismur (fuuu) into the box; RNG'd Tentacool onto the team.
Caught Numel (Team)
Caught Koffing (Team)
Rearranged my team to train all my boxed pokemon just incase they get RNG'd, so they're not that far behind.
After training, Rearranged my team again to progress farther within the game.
Caught Skarmory (Box)
RIP Taillow Lv.29 (Koffing Self-Destruct from ninja that had 4 Koffing with self destruct...)
Moved Skarmory to the team, will train before the 4th gym.

Team:
Tentacool Lv.29
Makuhita Lv.29
Numel Lv.29
Koffing Lv.29
Treecko Lv.28
Skarmory Lv.16

Box:
Shroomish Lv.29
Electrike Lv.28
Whismur Lv.28
Illumise Lv.29

Dead:
Zigzagoon Lv.3
Magikarp Lv.5
Taillow Lv.29

Badges: 3

* - Currently Grinding up to the rest of the group.

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
I updated and cleaned up the rules for those who might care.

I'll give you a couple suggestions Dooms.

- Wingull who must be the first of your team to fully evolve and whose only offensive moves are a single HM (of your choice) and whatever it knows when you catch it
- Shedinja with no restrictions

You can come up with your own nicknames.

As for my Scramble Challenge, my team so far:
1. Ledian named "Bazinga" with Safeguard
4. Any Pokémon of my choice with a mono-type moveset

I still need 2 more.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I updated and cleaned up the rules for those who might care.

I'll give you a couple suggestions Dooms.

- Wingull who must be the first of your team to fully evolve and whose only offensive moves are a single HM (of your choice) and whatever it knows when you catch it
- Shedinja with no restrictions

You can come up with your own nicknames.

As for my Scramble Challenge, my team so far:
1. Ledian named "Bazinga" with Safeguard
4. Any Pokémon of my choice with a mono-type moveset

I still need 2 more.
Whaaa @ HM's.

Totally catching that Wingull after I get surf :troll:

Yaaay @ Shedinja <3.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
All right. I'm finally prepared for the Elite Four. I'm going to do a summary of my Pokémon's conditions, then you can expect edits explaining how things are going / went.

Spike the Blaziken: Level 67
- Slash
- Dig
- Brick Break
- Fire Punch

Angelus the Armaldo: Level 65
- Earthquake
- Ancientpower
- Aerial Ace
- Strength

Lorne the Gyarados: Level 65
- Ice Beam
- Bite
- Surf
- Hyper Beam

Buffy the Manectric: Level 67
- Bite
- Thunderbolt
- Strength
- Thief (don't have any other moves to replace this one, so it's just staying)

D'Hoffryn the Salamence: Level 67
- Fly
- Dragon Claw
- Crunch
- Flamethrower

Anyanka the Exploud: Level 67
- Shock Wave
- Ice Beam
- Hyper Voice
- Water Pulse

Ended up with my Pokémon higher-leveled than I expected, simply because I ended up with 28 Rare Candies and because I ended up training before the Rare Candy usage more than I had anticipated.

And now, hoping for the best.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Good luck, Sir! ^_^.

Training my Shroomish now. Illumise is Level 29 with the rest of my team.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Okay, so here's how the Elite Four went down...

Sidney went down pretty easily. OHKO’d each one of his Pokémon, not taking any damage aside from ~50 on Buffy from Sharpedo’s Surf. Spike took out Mightyena and Absol (despite my initial intentions to not use Spike against Absol due to Aerial Ace, Spike ended up being out and I decided to just go with it) with Brick Break and Cacturne with Fire Punch, Angelus took care of Shiftry with Aerial Ace (fortunately, on the switch-in he used Double Team in vain), Buffy’s Thunderbolt dealt with Sharpedo.

Phoebe got a little more complicated. D’Hoffryn’s Crunch left her first Dusclops with 1 HP (argh), giving time to confuse D’Hoffryn. Both moves I tried with him ended in confusion damage, which gave her more time in which to set up a Future Sight and a Curse, forcing me to switch out for Lorne, and I decided to just stick with Lorne throughout the battle, rather than healing D’Hoffryn and switching, and then switching back when she likely would counter with her Ice Punch Dusclops. Lorne took a bit of damage and I had to use a Hyper Potion, but the rest of the battle was otherwise pretty smooth.

Glacia went down more easily than Phoebe. Spike OHKO’d Glalie, and I switched to Buffy when Glacia sent out her first Sealeo, unfortunately allowing for a Hail setup. Buffy easily handled the two Sealeos, though, and Glalie number two went down in a single hit. Walrein whittled Buffy down a bit with a Surf on the switch-in, so I healed with a Hyper Potion and took a Blizzard before Thunderbolting it dead in one hit.

Drake went surprisingly smoothly. I was worried about Anyanka taking down an entire team solo, but she handled it with aplomb. She OHKO’d Shelgon with a crit hit Ice Beam (I’ll never know if she would’ve done so without one). I wasn’t worried about OHKOing Altaria or the two Flygons due to the 4x damage, and they went down in a single hit. I was a little nervous about Salamence, but even he went down in a single hit.

Now, before Steven, even though nobody was even in the red (the lowest was D’Hoffryn, in the yellow), I decided to break the no healing items outside of battle rule. I decided to count the end of the Elite Four as some sort of break, mostly because I was terrified Steven would rip my team apart even without that advantage.

Buffy took out Skarmory with a single Thunderbolt, which stopped it from setting up anything, fortunately. Aggron followed, of course, and I could easily predict the coming EQ, so I blocked with Lorne and then put in Angelus, who took entirely minimal damage from the Thunder that hit and then OHKO’d with his own EQ.

Cradily took a bit more work. Confuse Ray got Spike on the switch-in, and after my bad luck with confusion with Phoebe, I decided a Persim Berry was a better decision than simply attacking. Cradily got in an Ancientpower, but it did almost nothing, and I got it down to about 1 HP with Brick Break. It was able to confuse me, but I knew Steven would Full Restore and used another Persim Berry while he did that, then Brick Break OHKO’d the second time.

Metagross came next, and I was of course a bit nervous. I switched to D’Hoffryn, hoping he’d try to hit Spike with an EQ, but he used Psychic instead. The overall damage was still minimal, but he survived my Flamethrower and got in a Meteor Mash…which managed to hit, with a critical hit, and raise Metagross’s attack no less, taking out D’Hoffryn. A bit demoralized, but not ready to panic yet, I sent out Lorne, who fortunately finished him off with a Surf.

I kept Lorne in on Claydol and Surfed, but Claydol held on by a bit and managed to set up a Reflect. Steven Full Restored as per my prediction, so I Surfed again…and Steven Full Restored again, so I Surfed again, and then one last Surf took Claydol out.

Finally came Armaldo. I switched to Anyanka (I predicted he would actually use Ancientpower this time, since he wouldn’t be setting anything up unlike with Claydol), took an Ancientpower which didn’t do much damage, and a Water Pulse made a dent in Armaldo’s HP and confused him. He still managed to attack through his confusion, but another Ancientpower didn’t even get Anyanka down below half HP and there was no stat boost. One more Water Pulse…

…and Armaldo went down.

And so at the conclusion of my run, I'm pretty satisfied. I'm a little sad that I lost D'Hoffryn, besmirching an otherwise perfect Elite Four run, but I'm extremely pleased that I've beaten my first Nuzlocke, and that there wasn't any huge disaster. Only two total Pokémon lost in an entire run is pretty decent in my opinion, especially considering how many I lost just over the first 6 badges in my previous attempt.

Going forward, I actually think I'm going to do a fourth gen -- specifically, Pearl -- run after all. Fourth gen is probably my least favorite generation, but I realized today that it's actually been quite some time since I played through the games, and I don't feel like I ever gave many of the Pokémon in those games a try, so it should be interesting.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Congrats on a well done finish. 1 Pokemon isn't too bad. Sucks that it was a Salamence, though :C. Hopefully you finish your next run with zero losses!

Definitely at the point where I need to grind.

Caught Swablu.
Caught Solrock.
Defeated Magma Boss.
Caught Machop.
RNG'd Shroomish onto the team, Numel into the box.
Put Whismur on the team, replacing Makuhita.
RIP Whismur Lv.30 (Kecleon Flame Thrower Crit)
RIP Electricke Lv.29 (Torkoal sacrifice for heal)
Defeated 4th gym leader with 1 loss.
RNG'd Makuhita onto the team, Tentacool into the box.
Rearranged team for training.
Got lazy and only trained 4 Pokemon to level 40.
RIP Makuhita Lv.30. (Norman's second slaking)
Defeated 5th gym leader with 1 loss.
RNG'd Tentacool onto the team, Machop into the box.
Now to do plot stuff before grinding the team to level 40 before the next rival battle.

Team:
Koffing Lv.40
Skarmory Lv.40
Solrock Lv.40
Numel Lv.40
Tentacool Lv.31
Treecko Lv.32

Box:
Shroomish Lv.29
Illumise Lv.30
Machop Lv.33

Dead:
Zigzagoon Lv.3
Magikarp Lv.5
Taillow Lv.29
Whismur Lv.30
Electrike Lv.29
Swablu Lv.17
Makuhita Lv.30

Yeah, it's starting to go downhill. May grind to level 40 for the next gym.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Spired: Use a Tangrowth. Name it Curly. If the degree to which we can restrict movesets permits it, then he can only know one damaging attack.

Dooms: Swalot. It's gotta have Stockpile. Also a Castform that must have the potential to utilize all three of its weather forms (this does not necessarily mean Castform can be the only means of changing the weather to its benefit, e.g. it doesn't have to know Rain Dance if another team member can cause rain)

EDIT: Ok my interest in this thing has been piqued.

Game: Diamond
Trade: No
Additional Rules: No specific HP moves or breeding moves, no post-E4 pokemon

So do I just use a starter until I can capture a pokemon that's been assigned to me?

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
When giving suggestions, you can be as specific as you want. Back in [thread=272471]the old Scramble thread[/thread] I was given a Pokémon by one person that basically dictated how I raised the rest of my team.

Cool, a Tangrowth. Now I can (sorta) see what I've missed out on by not using him before.

I'll give you a Geodude that cannot use any physical or special STAB moves (in this case Rock and Ground).

My team so far:
1. Lediannamed "Bazinga" with Safeguard
3. Nidoking anmed "Nido" with Sunny Day and Swagger
4. Pokémon of my choice with a mono-type moveset
5. Tangrowth named "Curly" with only one damaging move

One more to go...

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
So, I misunderstood the meaning of NFE, so I'm going to drop the run. I didn't realize that I couldn't use Basic pokemon that didn't evolve (Solrock, Skarmory). I may try the run again later.

Still looking for two more for the scramblocke. Nevermind. S2 got me covered.

If we're allowed to suggest more than one for you, Spired, let me know. I got another suggestion for ya xD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Rules:
~Nickname clause!

12 Pokemon Needed!
1) Wingull (First to fully evolve, no attacking moves besides when caught and one HM) *Make it Rain*
2) Shedinja (No Restrictions)
3) Swalot (Stockpile required)
4) Castform (All 3 weather forms must be accessable)
- 5) Mr. Mime [Mr. Swag] (Baton Pass required) ~Ryker~
- 6) Clefable [Fliptable] (Special Sweeper required) ~Ryker~
- 7) Krabby [Quick Claw] (Must have crabhammer) ~Raziek~
8) Tropius (Not allowed to have fly) ~Raziek~
9) Nosepass [Raziek] (Must know Zapcannon) ~Armor~
10) Corsola [Corscola] (Must have spike cannon) ~Armor~
11) Slaking (Must hold Red Scarf, can't evolve into Slaking until it does, must evolve at Lilycove) ~Sold2~
12) Torkoal (No restrictions) ~Sold2~

- means I'm going to hack in level 5 eggs for the specific pokemon.

Thoughts on the pokemon: Wow. No "no evolution!" limits. Slaking will suck, though :v.

Gonna start this now! xD.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Wonderful.

1. Piplup (Mist, Bide)
2. Geodude (no STAB)

Will update periodically. Dooms, does Piplup have to learn Bide/Mist before he can evolve?

Bing

Smash Master
Im Also going to do a scramble of Pokemon Crystal.

Get at me. Give me atleast 10.(can you like post my name above it so I actually read it XD)

Btw I cant trade :p

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
Im Also going to do a scramble of Pokemon Crystal.

Get at me. Give me atleast 10.(can you like post my name above it so I actually read it XD)

Btw I cant trade :p
Unless your planning on a Scramblocke like Dooms, you only need six Pokémon. Any more and you are defeating the purpose of the challenge: to complete the game with a team chosen for you by others.

As for a suggection, get a Skarmory. It cannot be on your team at the same time as a Blissey.

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
I wanted to give you something really challenging, but I missed out on 2nd gen originally and am too lazy to look up anything about it.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
BING: In Violet City, there is a man who will give you one Onix in exchange for a Bellsprout. I want you to catch a Bellsprout and then make this trade AFTER beating Falkner. You are allowed to use the Bellsprout any way you want until then.

Bing

Smash Master
So you're saying get an Onix? lmfao

Okay misread the first time :p

Also;

Emerald Nuzlocke

Slateport City
Team to this point.
Linoone 21(Want for Pickup)
Grovyle 24
Makuhita 21
Wingull 23 (Suck it Brawly)
17 Nincada

Box:
Surskit 4
Shroomish 7
Poochyena 3

Fainted (Moved to Box 10 because I dont like to release)
Wurmple

I hope that I can get a Plusle/Minun In the patch of grass. I've never been able to use have a strong P/M so I want to try that in this game.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I'm thinking of doing a Nuzlocke for Crystal, because I love that game so much. That or maybe Platinum.

Makes it easier on me too, since seeing bad natures on Pokemon makes me fume for whatever reason.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I just beat Alder (the second time) with a level 72 volcarona (which is funny because he has a level 77 one). I beat the E4 with 4 underleveled bugs.

I'm sure that's been topped by a lot of people, so I thought it'd be cool if people would share their most impressive E4 runs.

:phone:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Does Red count?

I swept Red in Silver with a Level 56 Graveler : D.

(Yes, I used xitems. I guess it's not that impressive lol.)

E4 runs, I beat the E4 in Emerald with a level 58 Camerupt and a Level 62 Plusle. All I had besides HM slaves xD.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
I would like to post a challenge for Spired Moth's Scramble Run ^^;. For you, try getting a Pikachu and it can only have two moves, one of which must be Thunder. The other move can be any move as long as it has a chance of causing paralyses.

EDIT: You also can't let it evolve.

Clownbot

Smash Lord

1. Piplup (Bide, Mist - must have before evolving) recommended by JoeyDooms
2. Geodude (no STAB) recommended by SpiredMoth
3. Goldeen (no restrictions) recommended by Davidreamcatcha
4. Cranidos ("Lockjaw," special attacks only) recommended by TheSundanceKid
5. Meditite (cannot have items used on it; hold items permissible) recommended by MasterWarlord
6. Vespiquen ("FAxPlorf," must be used in every double battle and betray teammates, can only use status moves upon evolution) recommended by Monkey D. AWESOME

Wow.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community

1. Piplup (Bide, Mist - must have before evolving) recommended by JoeyDooms
2. Geodude (no STAB) recommended by SpiredMoth
3. Goldeen (no restrictions) recommended by Davidreamcatcha
4. Cranidos (special attacks only) recommended by TheSundanceKid

Wow.
Meditite with no movepool restrictions, but cannot have any items used on it. May hold items, but items cannot be used -on it-. Obviously most painful in Elite Four and such.

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
Coming to terms with having two people in my mind
Clownbot, you shall use a Vespiquen that follows these restrictions:

1) It must betray your team in every double battle. And you must use it in every double battle you fight.

2) It can only use status moves once it evolves.

3) Status inflicted on your Pokemon by Vespiquen cannot be healed except by Pokemon Center.

4) Once it evolves, it must remain in the party at all times.

5) You must name it "FAxPlorf".

6) Love it forever.

HAVE FUN.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Decided to do a Emerald Nuzlocke because why not.

Current Team:
Margaret the Mudkip (Level 15)
Tammy the Taillow (Level 13) (Got so lucky...)
MW the Silcoon (Level 5) (Probably gonna move to box soon)

Box:
Lenny the Lotad (level 5)

Just beat the Rustboro City gym. Nosepass gave me a little trouble, but otherwise it was a breeze.

Top Bottom