• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The General Bandai-Namco Discussion Thread

Which Bandai-Namco characters would you like to see get in?

• Total voters

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
I heard there was someone on these boards using some sort of math formula using the RBY color spectrum to deduce the next background color theme and was close to correctly guessing the shade of Green used for Pyra/Mythra. Supposedly he claims the next color will be bright pink. I can't find the thread here I only found out about it from someone talking about it on GameFAQs. I'd appreciate if someone here could help guide me to what he's talking about because if the next color theme is pink I'd suggest Berseria or Xillia as fitting the theme.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I heard there was someone on these boards using some sort of math formula using the RBY color spectrum to deduce the next background color theme and was close to correctly guessing the shade of Green used for Pyra/Mythra. Supposedly he claims the next color will be bright pink. I can't find the thread here I only found out about it from someone talking about it on GameFAQs. I'd appreciate if someone here could help guide me to what he's talking about because if the next color theme is pink I'd suggest Berseria or Xillia as fitting the theme.
That or Dixie Kong. Pink would go with Dixie.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's a joke. epicmartin7 epicmartin7 just likes running some equations to see what the next background color will be, because why not. Though, they actually did come close to Pyra and Mythra's background, so there is some precedence. Still, it's best to assume it's just a joke, because that's still largely what it is.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
It's a joke. epicmartin7 epicmartin7 just likes running some equations to see what the next background color will be, because why not. Though, they actually did come close to Pyra and Mythra's background, so there is some precedence. Still, it's best to assume it's just a joke, because that's still largely what it is.
LMAO. Can't believe my stuff is starting to spread lol. You have a link to the GameFAQs thread? I'm morbidly curious now :p

And yes, most of this stuff is a joke lol. but, is also pretty fun to do

Last edited:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
LMAO. Can't believe my stuff is starting to spread lol. You have a link to the GameFAQs thread? I'm morbidly curious now :p

And yes, most of this stuff is a joke lol. but, is also pretty fun to do
Post #4

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Post #4
Thanks for that! That made my day lol.

Oh! Should probably also post the colors I got since that's probably what you were interested in.

Due note, this isn't all the colors. This is technically 2/9 calculated. So this is known as "minimally extended".

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for that! That made my day lol.

Oh! Should probably also post the colors I got since that's probably what you were interested in.

Due note, this isn't all the colors. This is technically 2/9 calculated. So this is known as "minimally extended".
Thanks! Yeah, I was interested because it matched up with the Bamco characters I was predicting. (I don't think we're getting Lloyd since the Mii swordfighter rips off of the artes Lloyd already does in his game)
Out of curiosity. Let's say your assumption is correct. What would the following color for FP 11 be?

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Thanks! Yeah, I was interested because it matched up with the Bamco characters I was predicting. (I don't think we're getting Lloyd since the Mii swordfighter rips off of what Lloyd already does in his game)
Out of curiosity. Let's say your assumption is correct. What would the following color for FP 11 be?
Well, see, things get kind of tricky when you try to predict anything beyond Fighter 10. This is mainly because the prediction is reliant on past, existing data. So... essentially, if I were to calculate Fighter 11, you'd essentially have more branching possibilities. Which... would make more uncertainties.

So, it's kind of complicated. But, I can probably get to it in a couple of days.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Thanks! Yeah, I was interested because it matched up with the Bamco characters I was predicting. (I don't think we're getting Lloyd since the Mii swordfighter rips off of the artes Lloyd already does in his game)
Im pulling stuff out my ass but the inside of , Don-chans mouth lol the color of the inside of his mouth

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
What could possibly hold a 2nd Namco rep back from coming to smash? is it kinda like Namco doesn’t want overrepresent their series and try to shift the focus on a different 3rd parties instead? even though they are the one developing the game

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What could possibly hold a 2nd Namco rep back from coming to smash? is it kinda like Namco doesn’t want overrepresent their series and try to shift the focus on a different 3rd parties instead?
If not Bandai-Namco, I imagine it would be Sakurai or Nintendo as they wouldn't have any Bandai-Namco character in the cards.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
What could possibly hold a 2nd Namco rep back from coming to smash? is it kinda like Namco doesn’t want overrepresent their series and try to shift the focus on a different 3rd parties instead? even though they are the one developing the game
It could simply be that they are not being prioritized although considering that they developed the game I have a feeling that it could on Bamco's side. I believe it was in Terry's presentation where Sakurai implied that Bamco forgot that they had Pac Man already. Bamco was like "Oh yeah, our character!". It seems like that they are chilling in the background while letting other 3rd parties get in on the spotlight.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Wasn't there a thing where Sakurai said Bandai Namco didn't have many viable picks? Wonder if that's still a thing...

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If not Bandai-Namco, I imagine it would be Sakurai or Nintendo as they wouldn't have any Bandai-Namco character in the cards.
So far we still not gotten any new Namco content beside few remixes for Pac-man and adding few more cameos to the Pac-man taunt.
Probably Lloyd mii costume would come back but I wouldn’t regard that as new Namco content. I hope at least new mii costume for Namco shows up.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So far we still not gotten any new Namco content beside few remixes for Pac-man and adding few more cameos to the Pac-man taunt.
Probably Lloyd mii costume would come back but I wouldn’t regard that as new Namco content. I hope at least new mii costume for Namco shows up.
Yeah. It's very weird Bandai-Namco hasn't received one newcomer in Ultimate yet when Pac-Man was the only one that got in Smash 4.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wasn't there a thing where Sakurai said Bandai Namco didn't have many viable picks? Wonder if that's still a thing...
Where was that said, and when?

Yeah. It's very weird Bandai-Namco hasn't received one newcomer in Ultimate yet when Pac-Man was the only one that got in Smash 4.
they haven’t gotten a single (not PAC-MAN related) Spirit either

at the very LEAST I kinda expected a Heihachi Spirit in the base game for some reason

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Where was that said, and when?

they haven’t gotten a single (not PAC-MAN related) Spirit either

at the very LEAST I kinda expected a Heihachi Spirit in the base game for some reason
Sometime during Smash 4. I wanna say it was the interview where Sakurai revealed he wanted to add Heihachi but couldn't make him work, but I don't remember for certain.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sometime during Smash 4. I wanna say it was the interview where Sakurai revealed he wanted to add Heihachi but couldn't make him work, but I don't remember for certain.
I don’t think that interview said anything about any other Bamco characters...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It didn't if we are talking about the one translated by Source Gaming:

LMAO the thing about Heihachi’s fundoshi was “Good boys and girls” before Mai (mentioning about CERO and how the fundoshi... let’s just say it’s the male equivalent of what Mai’s wearing downstairs)

no mention of any other candidates tho, like KOS-MOS, Nightmare, Klonoa, The Prince of All Cosmos etc...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It didn't if we are talking about the one translated by Source Gaming:

1619195298138.png

He also goes on to note that there were some others in consideration, namely Heihachi. I think it's in relative terms; Nobody was a clearer candidate than Pac-Man.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
The 5 legendary gaming companies presented in smash!
Konami: :ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter:
SEGA: :ultbayonetta::ultsonic::ultjoker:
Capcom: :ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken:
Square-Enix::ultcloud::ulthero3::ultsephiroth:
And lastly Namco!
:ultpacman:
I guess?
Yeah...
This situation could have been avoided if they simply made Ms. Pac-man an echo

SharkLord

Smash Hero
LMAO the thing about Heihachi’s fundoshi was “Good boys and girls” before Mai (mentioning about CERO and how the fundoshi... let’s just say it’s the male equivalent of what Mai’s wearing downstairs)

no mention of any other candidates tho, like KOS-MOS, Nightmare, Klonoa, The Prince of All Cosmos etc...
Rewinding back to the Smash 4 era, where third-parties were a rare treat and not the norm... Yeah, I'd honestly be surprised if characters of those caliber were even mentioned at all. Klonoa especially; Poor guy never got off the ground. On that note, Soulcalibur was starting up the post-SCV "dark age" at that time, Xenoblade hadn't been revived with Shulk's reveal and rekindled interest in Xenosaga, and Katamari Demacy's a cult classic, from what I can gather.

Basically, applying the anything-goes speculation style of Ultimate's DLC to the considerably more limited, Nintendo-centric era of the Smash 4 base game is gonna get some shaky results.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Maybe Bamco is afraid it would be nepotism? Idk

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The 5 legendary gaming companies presented in smash!
Konami: :ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter:
SEGA: :ultbayonetta::ultsonic::ultjoker:
Capcom: :ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken:
Square-Enix::ultcloud::ulthero3::ultsephiroth:
And lastly Namco!
:ultpacman:
I guess?
Yeah...
This situation could have been avoided if they simply made Ms. Pac-man an echo
I still think Ms. Pac-Man and her husband alone wouldn't be enough to really represent Bandai-Namco when we have other legendary franchises like Tekken, Soul Calibur, Digimon and Dark Souls still not in the roster yet.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It should be noted that while Bamco doesn't have as many fighters, it still has just about all their noteworthy titles represented in some form, mainly through items and the Namco Roulette taunt. Perhaps Nintendo feels that Bamco's fine with the more subtle representation, rather than just giving it a ton of fighters.

Though, it is rather weird that Tales has jacksquat when almost every other Bamco game has something. Even Heihachi got a piece of the Namco Roulette. Factor in how every other Smash 4 third-party Miis have their series represented somehow too...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It should be noted that while Bamco doesn't have as many fighters, it still has just about all their noteworthy titles represented in some form, mainly through items and the Namco Roulette taunt. Perhaps Nintendo feels that Bamco's fine with the more subtle representation, rather than just giving it a ton of fighters.

Though, it is rather weird that Tales has jacksquat when almost every other Bamco game has something. Even Heihachi got a piece of the Namco Roulette. Factor in how every other Smash 4 third-party Miis have their series represented somehow too...
Call me crazy but you know how Lloyd’s costume had Kosuke Fujishima credited along with Bandai Namco? What if... Lloyd doesn’t become playable AND the Mii doesn’t return because they couldn’t get Kosuke’s permission the second time around? I mean freaking Gil from Tower of Druaga is in PAC-MAN’s taunt roulette too

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Call me crazy but you know how Lloyd’s costume had Kosuke Fujishima credited along with Bandai Namco? What if... Lloyd doesn’t become playable AND the Mii doesn’t return because they couldn’t get Kosuke’s permission the second time around? I mean freaking Gil from Tower of Druaga is in PAC-MAN’s taunt roulette too
I'm pretty sure even if Lloyd doesn't get promoted to playable status that his Mii costume will return regardless.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean, Tower of Druaga is pretty big in Japan. Among the first action-RPGs, said to be an influence on the other forefathers and adjacents of the ARPG genre like Dragon Quest, Ys, and Legend of Zelda... It didn't quite take off in the West, thanks to a decidedly less cooperative gaming environment, but taking it's status in Japan into account, and Gil's not that much of a stretch.

On the topic of Fujishima, I'm not sure how much his permission is needed for Lloyd's appearances elsewhere. I'll have to swing by the Lloyd thread for reference.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I mean freaking Gil from Tower of Druaga is in PAC-MAN’s taunt roulette too
That makes perfect sense though, Pac-Man mostly covers the classic Namco arcade stuff and Tower of Druaga was a usual suspect in the Namco Arcade collections and whatnot. Gil's presence makes as much sense as Mappy or Taizo Hori. A little Lloyd sprite would have been cute and they clearly expanded a bit further but it still falls a little outside that general range.

Even Heihachi and Don-Chan are technically arcade characters, just more modern ones. Prince of All Cosmos isn't though.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
That makes perfect sense though, Pac-Man mostly covers the classic Namco arcade stuff and Tower of Druaga was a usual suspect in the Namco Arcade collections and whatnot. Gil's presence makes as much sense as Mappy or Taizo Hori. A little Lloyd sprite would have been cute and they clearly expanded a bit further but it still falls a little outside that general range.
Call me stupid but if Pac-Man cover the arcade stuff does that mean at some point Tekken and Katamari used to be an arcade game in their early year?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Call me stupid but if Pac-Man cover the arcade stuff does that mean at some point Tekken and Katamari used to be an arcade game in their early year?
Tekken had fighting game cabinets not unlike Street Fighter or King of Fighters.

Katamari did not, I believe Prince is the only one on the Namco Roulette who did not get their start in arcades. Which in retrospect makes me happy they felt the need to acknowledge Katamari at all.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Even Heihachi and Don-Chan are technically arcade characters, just more modern ones. Prince of All Cosmos isn't though.
Technically speaking, Valkyrie originated from a Famicom game, so she sorta counts. Though, a Valkyrie no Densetsu theme is part of the Namco Arcade Medley, so I suppose the arcade games ended up supplanting the Famicom titles.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Or maybe they're just cheap mingers who don't wanna pay Nintendo any licensing fees.
I mean, they're working on the game directly. I feel like any licensing fees would be repaid pretty quickly. They're certainly not above getting the rights to guest fighters in their own games, so I don't see why the opposite would be any less true.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Technically speaking, Valkyrie originated from a Famicom game, so she sorta counts. Though, a Valkyrie no Densetsu theme is part of the Namco Arcade Medley, so I suppose the arcade games ended up supplanting the Famicom titles.
Either that or Pac-Man is the representation of "the good ol'day", with the exception of Terry later he's somehow the only character who bring together content from other series outside of his own and unlike KoF where it's a giant massive crossover there's nothing to string together Pac-Man to Valkyrie no Densetsu to Mappy other than compilation.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Their inclusion in the taunt is more about them having official sprites made, rather than representing arcade games, Tekken games starting in the arcade before getting console ports aside.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Either that or Pac-Man is the representation of "the good ol'day", with the exception of Terry later he's somehow the only character who bring together content from other series and unlike KoF where it's a giant massive crossover there's nothing to string together Pac-Man to Valkyrie no Densetsu to Mappy.
That wouldn't quite work. Don-chan and the Prince originate from early 2000's games, which aren't that old. Heihachi too, to a lesser extent, but even if it's a bit younger than the other Namco titles the 90's are still pretty old for a game series.

Top Bottom