• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Gates of Hell: Bayonetta Social Thread

Greda

Smash Journeyman
There's only like 40 hours left until her release!
Hold on, gorl!

But seriously, going to school on Wednesday is going to be literal torture. :/
4PM PST release would let most get it when it releases. Also I might be wrong, but wasn't there a DLC character that got released then..?

For some reason this post got duplicated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Welcome back, guys. Now we can continue discussing our favorite witch.

I'm watching the videos again and the people who are playing Bayonetta on all three seem like this is the first time playing the character. To be honest, it probably was. Maybe some had practice beforehand.
I feel the same way. Everyone who's seen those videos is like "Yo, Corrin is WAY better than Bayonetta!"

And I'm like "The only reason Corrin won those matches is because the Bayonetta player sucked."

Or maybe that's just me being salty. Heheh.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
I feel the same way. Everyone who's seen those videos is like "Yo, Corrin is WAY better than Bayonetta!"

And I'm like "The only reason Corrin won those matches is because the Bayonetta player sucked."

I wrote a pages worth of text to my friend why the Bayonetta in all three matches sucked and we were both laughing at the silly mistakes. The people playing Corrin were actually good.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
4PM PST release would let most get it when it releases. Also I might be wrong, but wasn't there a DLC character that got released then..?
Mewtwo was released really early, but I didn't get my code until 9 AM EST.
Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were released at like 12 PM EST.
Idk what time Cloud was released, so maybe that's who you were thinking of.

But Bayo and Corrin could be released at any time, really. All they said was "afternoon."

David Viran

Smash Lord

The first match on the niconico stream had komo play bayo against shu's corrin and komo won. They are both really good players too.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
It's only a few days away. May as well watch the videos and learn a little about the character before hand. I picked up a couple of things so far from the videos that I can't way to play around with. Afterburner kick bounces off walls which is cool for high recovery mix ups (not sure if it counts as hitting for a 2nd afterburner though). It can be used similar to bouncing fish to quickly escape pressure. It doesn't seem to edge cancel though which is a little disappointing. Her up air also has a very different multi-hitbox if you hold the button that can probably catch air dodges (Seems to be lagless like her regular uair and fully covers the front and back of Bayonetta). Her rolls seem to have Bat's within built in which is really interesting... Not sure if that is a good or bad thing since you take damage. Can't wait to lab with Bayonetta!

Mr_Kreep3r

Smash Apprentice
Can we talk about how in the Nintendo footage they go for 0 grabs... new meta.

Something neat..

Uptilt > Up B > Uair? seems Bayo might not struggle too hard to kill.

Disjoints?

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
So while Smashboards was hacked, I managed to progress some more in Bayonetta 2. Basically for Bayonetta I only have the B1 Samus costume left to purchase and in Tag Climax the Rodin card + Rodin to unlock.

I am never attempting to beat Rodin on x 1 star lmao. How the hell do you have enough time to Witch Time/ jump up with that one move where he lits up the ground in purple fire so quickly? wtf. I'll try with better weapons next time and with easiest difficulty.

Also, new videos! ^.^

Greda

Smash Journeyman
seems Bayo might not struggle too hard to kill.
I don't think Bayo will struggle to kill. Witch Time is an easy kill confirm with an insane failsafe. Besides that, Bayo can easily go to the top of the blast zone and Uair. Bair looks like it could be used for killing, too. Dsmash and Dair also spike, though I wouldn't be counting on those for her main way to take stocks.

Last edited:

Mr_Kreep3r

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Bayo will struggle to kill. Witch Time is an easy kill confirm with an insane failsafe. Besides that, Bayo can easily go to the top of the blast zone and Uair. Bair looks like it could be used for killing, too. Dsmash and Dair also spike.
Yea after nico nico everyone came in here trying to deconfirm the new blast zone queen. I'm reassuring people she is definitely somewhat high tier. Her frame data from the 60fps footage looks a little bad, but I think Bayo will have a Crazy strong punish game.

I wan't to see how high in the blast zone I can take my opponent before I kill them.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I honestly die a little bit on the inside when people say that Bayonetta is "definitely high/top tier" before she's even released

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think it's a little (a lot) too early to be theorizing how good she is and what her tier position is. Let's just wait and see what happens. It's not the end of the world if she doesn't end up high tier. People who really wanna play her will continue to do so.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
Yea after nico nico everyone came in here trying to deconfirm the new blast zone queen. I'm reassuring people she is definitely somewhat high tier. Her frame data from the 60fps footage looks a little bad, but I think Bayo will have a Crazy strong punish game.

I wan't to see how high in the blast zone I can take my opponent before I kill them.
Pretty high if you start off in the air is my guess. I also saw the guy at niconico get a Uair off After Burner Kick and Witch Twist so I'm sure blast zones can work in her favor. It's not like Sakurai isn't familiar with kills from taking your opponent high.

Mr_Kreep3r

Smash Apprentice
I honestly die a little bit on the inside when people say that Bayonetta is "definitely high/top tier" before she's even released
I said "somewhat" D:

I think it's a little (a lot) too early to be theorizing how good she is and what her tier position is. Let's just wait and see what happens. It's not the end of the world if she doesn't end up high tier. People who really wanna play her will continue to do so.
Could be Zelda tier and I'll still main her.

David Viran

Smash Lord
It's not like Sakurai isn't familiar with kills from taking your opponent high.
Well he said after the niconico tournament that he was impressed with mk and zss's death combos so...

Last edited:

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I honestly kind of hope she's not good, because as long as she's fun I couldn't care less about her character strength. And if she's high/top tier everyone and their kitchen sink is going to play her and all I'm going to see if a wall of bayonetta dittos.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I honestly kind of hope she's not good, because as long as she's fun I couldn't care less about her character strength. And if she's high/top tier everyone and their kitchen sink is going to play her and all I'm going to see if a wall of bayonetta dittos.
I agree. I was the same way with Rosalina, since she was the character I wanted most to get into Smash 4 (I didn't think Bayo would ever get in). Then they announced her as a puppet character with Luma, and I knew my dream was over lol.

Obviously, I don't give a **** about viability, considering I've mained Zelda forever. I play characters that I find fun, not because they're good/top tier or whatever.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
gentleman's agreement: first one to do a taunt mid combo is the true winner

Greda

Smash Journeyman
gentleman's agreement: first one to do a taunt mid combo is the true winner
Remember, taunting into taunt is a true combo.

-------

I honestly hope she is a good and viable character, considering how all my mains weren't and I had a tough time competing with them. I still did well but they didn't have that zing to make them fun and great to play at that level. They were Palutena and Wii Fit Trainer.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Palutena is pretty bad.
Wii Fit is surprisingly good. Not great or anything, but way better than I initially gave her credit for.
But at least you weren't maining Jigglypuff or anything. She's on par with Zelda in this game lol.

Besides, if you truly are dedicated to a character, match-ups shouldn't really matter to you.

Personally, I have a ton of fun playing lower-tiered characters because I don't care about their MU spreads. However, I do like to use characters like Rosalina when I play with my friends because I like to make them suffer. Early uair kills are the easiest way to make them regret playing.

Last edited:

Greda

Smash Journeyman
MU spreads don't really matter to me. It's just that the way they were designed didn't really let me have fun with them at that level. I do have fun with others though, like Zelda, but I could never bring myself to actually play as them. Oddly enough, almost every high tier character follows this same rule.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
But they just made an official tier list 2 days before the patch hits. We gotta at least theorycraft her position so it doesn't go to total waste on the 3rd.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Avoid playing Zelda at all costs.

I've gotten to the point where I feel bad for newer Zelda mains because they're only setting themselves up for disappointment.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
It's really embarrassing when competitive discuisson from a social thread is more constructive and has more data than a dedicated metagame discussion thread. Regardless, nice finds Mr_Kreep3r Mr_Kreep3r !

Mr_Kreep3r

Smash Apprentice
It's really embarrassing when competitive discuisson from a social thread is more constructive and has more data than a dedicated metagame discussion thread. Regardless, nice finds Mr_Kreep3r Mr_Kreep3r !
Thats my b mainly there is like no actual specualtion thread and each specific element of bayo had its own thread. Most were reserved kinda for on release data. I apologize I just figured here would be better place til release. >.<

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
No I'm not saying this is bad for a social.

I'm just talking about the Character Competitive Impressions thread, which has devolved into whining for buffs and ad hominen attacks at dissenting opinions.

Mr_Kreep3r

Smash Apprentice
Bullet Arts stamina battles are something I'm willing to sign up for.
So should it be 1 stock 3 mins bullet arts and Nuetral B only most %percent taken loses?

Edit: NVM STAMINA MODE I FORGET sorry... forgot that was a thing lol

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

It's pretty clear that Smash fundamentals alone won't get you far with Bayonetta, more so than with Ryu anyway. You really need to play her like you would in her game, using bullet arts to chip at distant opponents until they close in, then dodge and counter with Witch Time to lay down the hurt. At least I feel that's what he modus operandi will be.

C

Disjoints?
Well, it IS a pistol whip with a gun made out of alloy that the devil would kill for... because of this I think most of her "punch" moves will actually be small disjoints.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It's pretty clear that Smash fundamentals alone won't get you far with Bayonetta, more so than with Ryu anyway. You really need to play her like you would in her game, using bullet arts to chip at distant opponents until they close in, then dodge and counter with Witch Time to lay down the hurt. At least I feel that's what he modus operandi will be.
I am more than prepared to play her that way. I've been practicing combos in Bayo 2 for a while. It's not all THAT useful in the long run, but I feel like it'll give me a head start of some kind.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I'll definitely have to lab Bayonetta and grind her for a couple of days like I did with Cloud.
:4bayonetta:

Mr_Kreep3r

Smash Apprentice

Well, it IS a pistol whip with a gun made out of alloy that the devil would kill for... because of this I think most of her "punch" moves will actually be small disjoints.
It was the fact that the move looked like it finished but the trail still has a active hitbox so the sword clanked with the trail. Anyone have a source material refrence to why it does this in smash?

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I want to make my anger public about "Fly me to the Moon" not being in the game, which is one of my favourite songs thanks to both Bayo and NGE.
I very well understand why it's not in, but I'm still sad about it.
Glad to hear there's another NGE devotee among us. Asuka is my spirit animal <3
Also, the bass in the Bayo arrangement has absolutely zero chill!

I honestly hope she is a good and viable character, considering how all my mains weren't and I had a tough time competing with them. I still did well but they didn't have that zing to make them fun and great to play at that level. They were Palutena and Wii Fit Trainer.
As a fellow Palutena main, I know your pain all too well. I still love her, but I wish every matchup didn't feel like an uphill battle. :/

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Yooooo, I am going to be maining Bayonetta and she look amazing!!!! I am soo excited for both Corrin and Bayonetta and Bayo's combos and witch time LOOK AMAZING.

Top Bottom