• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ganonic Grimoire - Kongregation of Kings

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I heard Ganon's pummel will recieve a huge buff in tomorrow's Balance Patch.
Each pummel will now be a miniature-version of Warlock Punch and deal 27% damage each!

Gold_TSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slyger_Magreiva
That would go great with his new 19% bthrow, which was changed to be a sideways dair and hits at a horizontal angle.

Last edited:

Bleak Power

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone. I just recently signed up, but I've been a long time lurker. I just wanted to say that I appreciate all the work you guys put towards the development of this amazing character, and that I'm glad to finally be able to help in our quest for evil.

Last edited:

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Hi everyone. I just recently signed up, but I've been a long time lurker. I just wanted to say that I appreciate all the work you guys put towards the development of this amazing character, and that I'm glad to finally be able to help in our quest for evil.
Glad to have you man, it's always good to have more heads for sinister plotting

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
I lurked through all of melee and some of brawl. But nice to meet you and hopefully you enjoy your time here. I'd say you're in for a good time but we're kinda evil so...

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Well, you're not the only, welcome to the darkest side of Smashboards.
I always think at how this board is actually one of the humblest ones I see, unlike D3's one, for istance, here noone said that the Rosalina match-up was in his advantage, for starters.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Well, you're not the only, welcome to the darkest side of Smashboards.
I always think at how this board is actually one of the humblest ones I see, unlike D3's one, for istance, here noone said that the Rosalina match-up was in his advantage, for starters.
Lol yeah, having basically no positive MUs make us hella humble lol.

But every uphill battle is winnable, I think Ganon - Rosa is more viable than Ness - Rosa even if Ganon - Rosa is like 30 - 70

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Lol yeah, having basically no positive MUs make us hella humble lol.

But every uphill battle is winnable, I think Ganon - Rosa is more viable than Ness - Rosa even if Ganon - Rosa is like 30 - 70
Well, it was pretty obvious even when the match-up got analyzed for the first time that Rosa had a big edge over D3, yet almost-not every, almost-D3 main said it was in his advantage, and let's just say that I don't want to hear no more the word "clobbah" for, like, the rest of my life.
We, on the other hand. never cease speaking of power, evil 'n' stuff here, but we acknowledged the limits of Ganondorf from the very start.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Well, it was pretty obvious even when the match-up got analyzed for the first time that Rosa had a big edge over D3, yet almost-not every, almost-D3 main said it was in his advantage, and let's just say that I don't want to hear no more the word "clobbah" for, like, the rest of my life.
We, on the other hand. never cease speaking of power, evil 'n' stuff here, but we acknowledged the limits of Ganondorf from the very start.
Does D3 even have any good MUs? I don't like ripping on characters be he seems the same as us

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I heard Ganon's pummel will recieve a huge buff in tomorrow's Balance Patch.
Each pummel will now be a miniature-version of Warlock Punch and deal 27% damage each!
Got a source for that? It sounds very unrealistic to see a pummel deal THAT much damage.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I despise arbitrary nerfs. It's a miracle I still play Ganondorf.

...actually it's not a miracle. Never mind.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Hey guys, I'm thinking of picking up Smash 4 again. I haven't touched the game in many months (been playing PM and Melee instead) and therefore I can use a bit of a refresher. If anyone can provide me with answers and/or links to answers to a few questions, I would be much obliged.

1. Can anyone give me a rundown on how exactly side B followups work in this game? Which moves will connect on which characters? Options on techs vs no techs? Gerudo vs Aerudo? Is Aerudo better or worse than Brawl?

2. Any general tips regarding what moves/movement options etc I should change up from Brawl Ganon? Which moves/options are better or worse? I think I already have a decent idea but I want to make sure.

3. Who are some of the top Ganons putting out videos right now? Looking for high level study material.

4. Anyone want to catch these boots on wifi?

Last edited:

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Ganons, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears!
I come to bury Bizarro Flame, and to praise him.
The evil that men do in their lives lives on after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones. So let it be with Bizzaro.
He hath brought many souls to the shadow realm
Whose demise did all of us Ganons strengthen.
You all loved him once, not without cause;
Why then, do you withhold to mourn for him?
O Law School! Thou art indeed a brutish beast
For taking such a warrior from our ranks.
Bear with me:
My heart is in the coffin with Bizarro Flame
And I must pause till it come back to me.

RIP Bizarro Flame. Ganons everywhere suffered a great loss at your retirement.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
1. Can anyone give me a rundown on how exactly side B followups work in this game? Which moves will connect on which characters? Options on techs vs no techs? Gerudo vs Aerudo? Is Aerudo better or worse than Brawl?
Well for Gerudo followups there's a handy guide: http://smashboards.com/guides/ganondorfs-missed-tech-flame-choke-followups-list.503/
Basically the technical way it happens is based on a few factors:
1) did they tech roll away? Jab Ftilt Dtilt and Dsmash won't work(if they're :4mewtwo:,:4bowser:,or :4littlemac: dtilt will hit)
2) did they tech in place? Jab Ftilt Dtilt will work
3) did they tech behind? Ftilt and Fsmash work

If they missed their tech the fun really begins.

Are they :4samus:, :4link:, :4duckhunt:, :4mewtwo:, or :4dk:?
Only jab works, this is because it's the only move Ganon has that's fast enough to hit them before their invincibility frames begin, these characters are tall enough to be hit by jab while lying down.

Are they :4sonic:,:4zss:,:4peach:,:4littlemac:,:4zelda:, or :4robinm:?
Only Dtilt works because their slow getup, however they are small and low to the ground so only Dtilt can hit them.

Are they :4mario:,:4luigi:,:4drmario:,:4ness:,:4lucas:,:4megaman:,:4shulk:,:4villager:,:4tlink:,:4diddy:, or :4fox:?
Dtilt and Ftil work because of slow getups, jab still hits too high for them though.

Are they :4bowser:,:4bowserjr:,:4charizard:,:4dedede:,:4falco:, :4jigglypuff:,:4kirby:,:4lucario:,:4metaknight:,:4gaw:,:4pacman:,:4pikachu:,:4rob:,:4wario:, or :4yoshi:?
Dtilt, Ftilt, and Jab work because of slow getup and huge hitbox.

Is it :4olimar::4alph:?
You can get Dsmash off, YAY. SLOW SLOW getup.

Also on Mewtwo rolling away you get Dtilt

Everyone else can escape so tech chase with Dash Attack, Gerudo, or Wizkick.

For aerudo followups there's the very lethal Dsmash: http://smashboards.com/threads/aerial-flame-choke-to-down-smash.425079/
(which only works on some characters) Timing a dash attach or Flame choke works as well, however these are only if they roll away, so be careful of getup attacks. This is the only way to get a followup on :4ryu: and :4greninja:

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Well for Gerudo followups there's a handy guide: http://smashboards.com/guides/ganondorfs-missed-tech-flame-choke-followups-list.503/
Basically the technical way it happens is based on a few factors:
1) did they tech roll away? Jab Ftilt Dtilt and Dsmash won't work(if they're :4mewtwo:,:4bowser:,or :4littlemac: dtilt will hit)
2) did they tech in place? Jab Ftilt Dtilt will work
3) did they tech behind? Ftilt and Fsmash work

If they missed their tech the fun really begins.

Are they :4samus:, :4link:, :4duckhunt:, :4mewtwo:, or :4dk:?
Only jab works, this is because it's the only move Ganon has that's fast enough to hit them before their invincibility frames begin, these characters are tall enough to be hit by jab while lying down.

Are they :4sonic:,:4zss:,:4peach:,:4littlemac:,:4zelda:, or :4robinm:?
Only Dtilt works because their slow getup, however they are small and low to the ground so only Dtilt can hit them.

Are they :4mario:,:4luigi:,:4drmario:,:4ness:,:4lucas:,:4megaman:,:4shulk:,:4villager:,:4tlink:,:4diddy:, or :4fox:?
Dtilt and Ftil work because of slow getups, jab still hits too high for them though.

Are they :4bowser:,:4bowserjr:,:4charizard:,:4dedede:,:4falco:, :4jigglypuff:,:4kirby:,:4lucario:,:4metaknight:,:4gaw:,:4pacman:,:4pikachu:,:4rob:,:4wario:, or :4yoshi:?
Dtilt, Ftilt, and Jab work because of slow getup and huge hitbox.

Is it :4olimar::4alph:?
You can get Dsmash off, YAY. SLOW SLOW getup.

Also on Mewtwo rolling away you get Dtilt

Everyone else can escape so tech chase with Dash Attack, Gerudo, or Wizkick.

For aerudo followups there's the very lethal Dsmash: http://smashboards.com/threads/aerial-flame-choke-to-down-smash.425079/
(which only works on some characters) Timing a dash attach or Flame choke works as well, however these are only if they roll away, so be careful of getup attacks. This is the only way to get a followup on :4ryu: and :4greninja:
Godlike, thanks for the writeup. Exactly what I was looking for. Is it still common for good players to miss the gerudo techs? FG still seems to suck at it lol.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Godlike, thanks for the writeup. Exactly what I was looking for. Is it still common for good players to miss the gerudo techs? FG still seems to suck at it lol.
Depends on the player. Good players with enough Dorf MU experience can do it well, but the timing can throw off those unfamiliar with the MU. Online in general means more missed techs, and FG skill level only adds to that.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
The window is only like 3-5 frames so bad netcode will mess people up. It's pretty easy to practice the timing so knowledgeable players are likely to have it down. It's kinda annoying when they tech too :( Ike and zelda's tech rolls away are so far we can't even chase with wizkick

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
The tech window is very small, so even offline good players who know the matchup will occasionally miss techs, at least in my experience.
Which is annoying, since that can actually work in their favor. Teching isn't always the optimal choice, so that just doubles the amount of wrong guesses you can make. :p

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Hey guys, I'm thinking of picking up Smash 4 again. I haven't touched the game in many months (been playing PM and Melee instead) and therefore I can use a bit of a refresher. If anyone can provide me with answers and/or links to answers to a few questions, I would be much obliged.

2. Any general tips regarding what moves/movement options etc I should change up from Brawl Ganon? Which moves/options are better or worse? I think I already have a decent idea but I want to make sure.

3. Who are some of the top Ganons putting out videos right now? Looking for high level study material.

4. Anyone want to catch these boots on wifi?
For videos I would look up Opana Opana . He's not necessarily the best, but he tries to use all options possible, employs some nutty movement, and uploads videos like crazy. He's also pretty active with labbing ideas and posting the results on twitter.

In terms of movement, not toooo much has changed since brawl. Try to autocancel everything, find the timing for autocanceling certain moves while FFing them. Dair (as I'm sure you know) doesn't AC on SH anymore but it does AC on FHFF, and DJ'd onto platforms which can set up for some nice tech chases. Wizkick still cancels at the edge and is still useful for edgeguarding/movement. Usmash still has IASA frames and can be a good bait n' bash. Nair is still good in neutral. Uair tips are still good. You know, Ganon things. He's still largely a read/punish character, but with movement he can do a bit more and take those reads/punishes farther this time around than in brawl.

I'm not very good, but I would love to get stomped on wifi sometime. nnid is Naroghin

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Naroghin Naroghin Really appreciate that, although tbh my videos usually have multiple errors and I upload them for one moment in particular lol. Ny tourney matches have much less error though and are far more optimal if DLA DLA is interested, but yeah I'm not the best(not to say my matches wouldn't be of use). Atm I'm kinda hooked on Corrin though so most of my vids are gonna be of them lol.

I think the the wise ganon thread has a follow up chart, as for aerudo Idk much of brawl but they can get a guaranteed get up if we do anything but shield. However, we get a shield grab on the majority of characters so it becomes a guessing game. Dsmash got buffed a lot and is much better, this is relevant as it can catch the outward rolls of select characters and kill below 100%(great for sm4sh) out of a ledgehop aerudo to dsmash.

Also I hate mirrors but they're great for pucking up things and I'd be up for that sometime.

Wish I could compare more of him to brawl for you but tbh I was a pretty average brawl ganon lacking any extensive knowledge.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
DLA DLA , back in Brawl, I always thought you were the best FAir-user. Your timing and execution whit that move was just top notch.
I this game. it doesn't have that same Brutal KO-Power (Bair generally kills slighty, slighty ealier),
However, it's generally a much safer move in this game, so hammer away.

Dash Attack isn't the same type of Kill Move as in Brawl, but it's still a really good move.

Ftilt can be used both for killing, spacing, and damage, unlike Brawl where it was saved for kills a lot of the times.
You can thank Rage easier Pivoting for that.

Dtilt - use it however you like. It's simply a great, versatile move.

Uair is as good as ever.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Pivot fsmash and ftilt are possible now and really useful.

Also Ganon's dair is still untechable vs grounded opponents unlike other meteors in this game.

Coming from brawl to 4, I really lked these pivot options. Figured I'd share that bit about dair too since landing it on a grounded opponent has huge reward.

DLA DLA

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
All of this Brawl talk reminds me of two awesome Ganon techs from that game. Flight of Ganon and I believe it was stutter step dash dance fsmash? Something that increased the range of fsmash. Course then there was killing dash attack and sh dair. Man, I miss Brawl Ganon sometimes.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Hate to Wizkick your nastalga, as while our king had those awesome techs he was also (and saying this hurts me more than it hurts you) complete and utter garbage. Thank Ganon we're on Sm4sh.
Yeah, he was the absolute worst character, not a single positive mu but he was ridiculous amounts of fun although that applies to every iteration of Ganon.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Lords of darkness, I enter your lair on a valiant mission to spread the world of your evil.

A.K.A. I would like to write an article that features Ganondorf on the front page! It's been a while since I've had a "Character Expert Article" on there, so for those who haven't seen them I usually take 3 top players of a character, experts, and get their opinions on the character to try and share them with the world to help people better understand the character and inspire those who main them.

I need a little help however, I need a good way to contact the best Ganondorf players you know. Can anyone recommend me some good people to talk to?

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Lords of darkness, I enter your lair on a valiant mission to spread the world of your evil.

A.K.A. I would like to write an article that features Ganondorf on the front page! It's been a while since I've had a "Character Expert Article" on there, so for those who haven't seen them I usually take 3 top players of a character, experts, and get their opinions on the character to try and share them with the world to help people better understand the character and inspire those who main them.

I need a little help however, I need a good way to contact the best Ganondorf players you know. Can anyone recommend me some good people to talk to?
Vermanubis Vermanubis and Opana Opana are good places to start. Can't think of a third right now.

Good luck on your mission. Ganondorf needs the attention and you are just the perfect emissary to do that. The community tier discussion thread is a place I would recommend you check out.

Last edited:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Vermanubis Vermanubis and Opana Opana are good places to start. Can't think of a third right now.

Good luck on your mission. Ganondorf needs the attention and you are just the perfect emissary to do that.
I would also suggest Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm or @GanonTheBeast . I guess once we get the High Kings of Kaos in here they can better decide who would be best to talk on the character. Z1GMA Z1GMA would be a solid choice as well.

My 2 cents.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I'd love to talk about Ganondorf LiteralGrill LiteralGrill , although 3 above me.who attend the site include Ray_Kalm, GanonTheBeast, and Vermanubis. A lot of people are really insightful on the character though with varying opinions like adom4, z1gma, swoops, koskinator etc. there's a lot of good choices really.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386

Exciting! Most unexpected.

I agree there're a lot of good picks, but if I end up being one of them, I'd be happy to help.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Kalm, Verm, and Opana are sort of the unholy trinity on these boards. GTB wouldn't be bad either.

Top Bottom