• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Game Awards 2023 Nominees Have Been Revealed!

Game_Awards_2023_Nom.jpg

The nominees for The Game Awards 2023 were just revealed today! As it turns out, Nintendo has quite a strong showing this time. Let’s take a look at what got nominated.

Nominees for Game of the Year:

• Alan Wake 2
  • Baldur’s Gate 3
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

It’s evident that competition for this year’s Game of the Year is especially fierce. However, that’s far from the only category Nintendo showed up in this year. Nintendo has six titles in The Game Awards 2023, spread across an impressive nine categories. And counting them all individually adds up to fifteen nominations! Here are the Nintendo IPs nominated in all categories:

• Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp for Best Sim / Strategy
  • Fire Emblem: Engage for Best Sim / Strategy
  • Pikmin 4 for Best Family and Best Sim / Strategy
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder for Game of the Year, Best Game Direction, Best Art Direction, Best Family and Best Multiplayer
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom for Game of the Year, Best Game Direction, Best Art Direction, Best Score and Music, and Best Action / Adventure
  • The Super Mario Bros. Movie for Best Adaptation

The fun doesn’t end there though, there’s still more games and categories! The full list can be found on The Game Awards’ site, and players can vote for their favorite games on it. As for which games will win, only time can truly tell as we’ll know the answer on December 7th, 2023. On that date, The Game Awards 2023 will go live on Twitch.

Author’s Note: Wow, that’s a pretty impressive line-up isn’t it? Gotta say, I think this year was really good for gaming overall. As for what I’ll be voting for, I’m definitely going to vote Pikmin 4 for both categories it’s eligible in. But what about you? Please let us know what you think in the comments below!

Credits:
Editing & Writing: Zerp Zerp , @Thirdkoopa
Thumbnail Graphic: Zerp Zerp
Social: Zerp Zerp

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

I feel like ToTK or BG3 will win game of the year. Either of which are great picks. I haven’t actually played Baldur’s Gate but I do kinda hope that wins. Tears of the Kingdom definitely deserves best soundtrack though!

I’m actually planning on getting Wonder for my birthday. Wouldn’t it be hilarious if it won GOTY two days later?

Lots of great games in that list. Personally happy to see both TOTK and Pikmin 4 up there, hope they win in their categories.

I still don’t get what they mean by art direction
It's pretty much what it sounds like: best overall design for visual art and animation within a video game. I like to think of it as meaning "best graphics" but with a focus on what has the strongest overall visuals rather than just what's pushing the graphics tech the most.

It's pretty much what it sounds like: best overall design for visual art and animation within a video game. I like to think of it as meaning "best graphics" but with a focus on what has the strongest overall visuals rather than just what's pushing the graphics tech the most.
with nintendo in the running it certainly can't be for graphical power

idk man i think Spider-Man 2 kinda killed it artistically. We've got the best-looking symbiote suit hands down, and Miles' new suit is good too. Plus this is the best-looking Mysterio in my opinion.

I love TotK but Baldur's Gate 3 literally making greedy suits say "don't expect our games to be this good" makes it the clear winner in my eyes.

idk man i think Spider-Man 2 kinda killed it artistically. We've got the best-looking symbiote suit hands down, and Miles' new suit is good too. Plus this is the best-looking Mysterio in my opinion.
I mean I feel like art direction is more related to the atmosphere or style of the game overall and while it has some good suit designs the rest of the menu and world is kinda… just Spider-Man, for lack of better phrasing. Not bad by any means but I do think a game should have more than character designs be the stand-out aspect.

also might just be me but I’m really not a fan of the Mysterio design. I admire them trying something new but the foggy helmet design is easily the best part of the character design and a big skull just doesn’t look ascool to me as big skulls usually are. I’m not a fan of most Insomniac Spider-Man designs actually besides the basic ones like Peter, Miles, Black Cat or Mr Negative.

I mean I feel like art direction is more related to the atmosphere or style of the game overall and while it has some good suit designs the rest of the menu and world is kinda… just Spider-Man, for lack of better phrasing. Not bad by any means but I do think a game should have more than character designs be the stand-out aspect.

also might just be me but I’m really not a fan of the Mysterio design. I admire them trying something new but the foggy helmet design is easily the best part of the character design and a big skull just doesn’t look ascool to me as big skulls usually are. I’m not a fan of most Insomniac Spider-Man designs actually besides the basic ones like Peter, Miles, Black Cat or Mr Negative.
they gave mysterio a skull head? that’s dumb

Top Bottom