• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Forest Master Rises! Sceptile for Smash Bros! Over 100 supporters!!!

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
22 pages of Sceptile vs 3 pages of Blaziken? Idk if "popular" and "supported" are interchangable, but another advantage goes to Sceptile. We have moral!
I'm starting to feel sorry for ultimatekoopa, he's too by himself...
Don't worry guy, Blaziken for Smash!:troll:

But really, I'd not be upset if Blaziken is in, but Sceptile is way better and makes much more sense.
Also Blaziken have no chance.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I read all the pages of the Blaziken support thread (sorry for talking about it guys :yoshi2:), and gotta say it kinda makes sense. But then it goes back to my point of transformations and switch-ins being removed leaving Charizard remaining. Squirtle and Ivy gonna drop and Greninja is announced. Grass is missing, Sceptile though:ivysaur:.

Last edited:

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
I find it risky to have five reps from Pokemon BUT, the remakes of Ruby and Sapphire make it imo acceptable.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I find it risky to have five reps from Pokemon BUT, the remakes of Ruby and Sapphire make it imo acceptable.
Answering this quote with this man's quote, also sorry for quoting you guys but:

We have 5 Mario reps, 5 Zelda reps (including Ganondorf, who is probably going to be included), so I don't have a problem with 7 either.
I DO have a problem with 45,927.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
ll right, @ U ultimatekoopa is being excessively selective with the information he chooses to listen to (popularity means------- , originality is important to sakurai because he says----), so i'm just going to redirect the argument to another important point.

((edit in: ULTIMATELY, everything Sakurai says needs to be taken with the fact in mind that he is specifically trying to keep us from guessing the characters. Everything.))

What is going on in the anime right now? I imagine ash is around the fourth badge in japan, and I'm wondering if there is any indication of him getting sceptile back (as I do believe he has charizard and a.... froakie on him?)
He is still on 3rd badge, who cares about him anyway, there is no indication yet that he will recover sceptile
Does anyone has any evidence that Blaziken would be a clone? All I have seen is "He uses fire, he would be a clone" by this logic, Marth is a clone of Link, you guys accuse me of choosing what I want to listen but at least 99% of you do the same

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I have always picked the grass starter in Pokemon (although admitting I only played the first two).

I support.

Last edited:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Add me to the supporters list as well please. And to the guy who is making a moveset, if you are looking for a reference of moves he could use I made a moveset a few pages back. The only problem is I wasn't going to pretend I could make damage and affects on all the moves and be looked at as balanced. As I'm sure others here (like yourself) are much better suited to doing that.

And just to be fair, I checked that google trend page that I posted. And technically Swampert is the most popular atm but it is much closer than what Blaziken is. An inclusion in Smash, plus a return to Ash in the anime would easily move Sceptile to one of the top 10 most popular pokemon at that time. And the only real competition he has from other Grass Pokemon is Venusuar.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
He is still on 3rd badge, who cares about him anyway, there is no indication yet that he will recover sceptile
Does anyone has any evidence that Blaziken would be a clone? All I have seen is "He uses fire, he would be a clone" by this logic, Marth is a clone of Link, you guys accuse me of choosing what I want to listen but at least 99% of you do the same
I didn't say clone I just said that we've already got plenty of what he represents, it would be pointless to add him over something that would bring something new to the table. Also for the absolute last time, Blaziken would not compete the fire, water, grass starter trio that is so prominate in each and every pokemon title.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I have always picked the grass starter in Pokemon (although admitting I only played the first two).

I support.
I respect the Venusaur and Meganium picks good stuff.
And to the guy who is making a moveset, if you are looking for a reference of moves he could use I made a moveset a few pages back. As I'm sure others here (like yourself) are much better suited to doing that.

And just to be fair, I checked that google trend page that I posted. And technically Swampert is the most popular atm but it is much closer than what Blaziken is. An inclusion in Smash, plus a return to Ash in the anime would easily move Sceptile to one of the top 10 most popular pokemon at that time. And the only real competition he has from other Grass Pokemon is Venusuar.
Right on thanks @ Jmacz Jmacz I'll check that out I'm gonna shred my post to the max so thanks again.

Damn really? Well I can't be too surprised Mega Swampert is just...DAMNDIFY S0N! If Charizard comes back in mid-way of his adventures then why can't Sceptile or Bayleef (didn't know if that evolved to Meganium yet) or even Infernape come back either? As far as Venusaur replacing Ivysaur it would make total sense (:ivysaur:GUESS WHO'S BACK B*TCHES) if she evolved and came back but Venusaur in a fighting game is....weird. But hey Sakurai makes weird things happen so that's always a possibility!

Edit: I totally re-read your sentence wrong in my head (?). Did you mean competition in popularity of Grass-type starters by just general hand-helds or competing for popularity in getting in Sm4sh (?)

And the only real competition he has from other Grass Pokemon is Venusuar.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I didn't say clone I just said that we've already got plenty of what he represents, it would be pointless to add him over something that would bring something new to the table. Also for the absolute last time, Blaziken would not compete the fire, water, grass starter trio that is so prominate in each and every pokemon title.
And that's why we are getting Chrom, a guy that didn't offered as much as other characters but still got in, you said it yourself, they are important IN THE POKEMON GAME, there is no need to add a character just to complete a trio, I mean, Charizard and Greninja weren't chosen because of their type

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I respect the Venusaur and Meganium picks good stuff.

Right on thanks @ Jmacz Jmacz I'll check that out I'm gonna shred my post to the max so thanks again.

Damn really? Well I can't be too surprised Mega Swampert is just...DAMNDIFY S0N! If Charizard comes back in mid-way of his adventures then why can't Sceptile or Bayleef (didn't know if that evolved to Meganium yet) or even Infernape come back either? As far as Venusaur replacing Ivysaur it would make total sense (:ivysaur:GUESS WHO'S BACK B*TCHES) if she evolved and came back but Venusaur in a fighting game is....weird. But hey Sakurai makes weird things happen so that's always a possibility!

Edit: I totally re-read your sentence wrong in my head (?). Did you mean competition in popularity of Grass-type starters by just general hand-helds or competing for popularity in getting in Sm4sh (?)
Popularity as a grass starter, Venusaur is probably more popular than Sceptile but it is very close. I for one would love Venusuar in Smash, but I just think Sceptile is a safer bet. Sakurai has worked miracles before, but Venusuar would be hard. He's basically a bigger Bowser who walks on all 4's. When Sceptile on the other hand would be really easy, and fits right in.

Not to mention his Mega Evoultion would just automatically win you the game, because Mega Venusaur is OP as all hell.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
And that's why we are getting Chrom, a guy that didn't offered as much as other characters but still got in, you said it yourself, they are important IN THE POKEMON GAME, there is no need to add a character just to complete a trio, I mean, Charizard and Greninja weren't chosen because of their type
There wasn't a void to fill when they were chosen. They created the void.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Obviously it will not be Venasaur if it is not Blastoise.
Sure it could be both of those two, because gen1 is awesome.
But realistically that seems unlikely.
I would not be unhappy. But-- it would not be two of the three.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Trust me I know Venusaur would never happen, I was just saying I would be fine with it personally. I would still prefer Sceptile however.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Not sure if anyone posted this earlier, but...

If this is the case for Greninja, being included before X & Y was even announced, along with no popularity, this could bode well for Sceptile. For all we know, game Freak could have had OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire planned FAR in advance and Sakurai would know about it and Greninja through consulting them. Popularity need not apply for both Pokémon.

Xenorange

Smash Lord

If this is the case for Greninja, being included before X & Y was even announced, along with no popularity, this could bode well for Sceptile. For all we know, game Freak could have had OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire planned FAR in advance and Sakurai would know about it and Greninja through consulting them. Popularity need not apply for both Pokémon.
Exactly what I said earlier, just without the pretty picture. Mad props to you for thinking of the same scenario.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace

He could have been like "wow gen 6 and gen 3 remakes? Sceptile is my favorite! He's in. Uh. We need a water type. Gen 6... Oh, that's cool. Make it so!"
Lol, and it really makes me wonder if Smash 4 contributed to the development of Greninja for X&Y. Maybe he's so cool and popular because Sakurai made him what he wanted for Smash and Gamefreak was like, "okay that's how he'll be in X&Y."

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I kind of think Sceptiles chances came just a bit to late most likely. However, he'd be an awesome DLC character, and would complete the triangle.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I kind of think Sceptiles chances came just a bit to late most likely. However, he'd be an awesome DLC character, and would complete the triangle.
I think his chances have been there as long or longer than Greninja. But it comes down to whether or not Sakurai knew/ cared. The chances in our eyes came late but he could have known way back then. And as far as DLC Characters go, I think it wouldn't be go for the series of Smash in the long run. If they don't plan on making more Smash games, then it's a good thing. New characters sell games, giving us them as DLC will take away from potential newcomers in new games, combined that with modders further balancing the game, if they gave us all the characters we could want now, I'd see them struggling in the future.

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
Smash was Nintendo's entire E3.
And their amiibo/selling point out of debt.
And their Jesus.
Exactly. DLC just seems like an end all be all. Unless it's only costumes and cut veterans. Or not very many. Idk. If they were like "here's 5 of the most wanted charactere that didnt make the cut" that would be 5 characters that could have been selling points of the next game. Whatever happens, I'm sure they wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot... Hopefully...

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Man, I leave my Sceptile page for a day and miss out on an exciting "Sceptile versus Blaziken" debate.

Blaziken is supposedly more popular, but I am not certain that there is even any evidence of this being true. He is certainly more used in competitive circles, but by that logic we should be getting Garchomp in Smash... and he would be in 6 times and replace every other pokemon. Also, as noted by someone else, it's awfully revealing of something that Blaziken's support thread has a mere 3 pages to our 22. It doesn't mean everything, but it doesn't mean nothing either when you have that large of a discrepancy.

Blaziken got his Mega before the other two. I don't believe this means GF has all of their eggs in his basket (Get it? Because he is a god**** chicken? lol) I Have to say, getting a Mega for the games that one actually stars in (ORAS) as opposed to being an out-of-place, special-download only type, seems more indicative that GF wanted Sceptile and Swampert to be the faces of the remakes, not Blaziken.

Let me just essentially summarize what each of the two have going in their favor (where the other doesn't):

Sceptile:
- Completes the trio
- More unique visually and almost certainly in terms of play-style.
- More recent Mega, better promotes OR/AS.
- Ash's Sceptile
- (likely) the most popular starter of his type
- Expressive face and personality.

Blaziken:
- More popular... at least on Smogon.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Do not forget that Sceptile like all PKMN, is based off something, and it happens to be this majestic creature:

Blaziken is based off of a Shamo, japanese breed of chicken once raised for fighting. Doesn't compare to that hotness^

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
As if Pokemon needed to have any further evidence that it is an animal-fighting simulator.
The funny part is Sceptile is a jungle lover / forest guardian. Sceptile doesn't even need to fight to do it's duty as the Forest Master. But when it does...Fighting Simulation to being real life becomes a dinosaur with raptor-like approaches from tall trees and lunges on top of you. GG chicken

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Do not forget that Sceptile like all PKMN, is based off something, and it happens to be this majestic creature:

Blaziken is based off of a Shamo, japanese breed of chicken once raised for fighting. Doesn't compare to that hotness^
Ew.
I like to image that it was also partially based off this:

The head crests, back ridge, and tail resemble the ones Sceptile has.
And Sceptile is pretty fast. Possibly fast enough to run on water. :awesome:

You are also correct my friend. I got my source from this quote on Bulbapedia. Also that is a SEXY leaf-tailed gecko!
Um, that's actually a Green Basilisk.

But yeah, the Treecko line is also primarily based off Leaf-Tailed Geckos.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Ew.
I like to image that it was partially based off this:

You are also correct my friend. I got my source from this quote on Bulbapedia. Also that is a SEXY leaf-tailed gecko!
Edit: It is not a leaf-tailed gecko but it does strongly resmeble Sceptile
Double Edit: Lol @ the edits between both our posts/quotes

Appearance-wise, this Pokémon resembles the dinosaur known as Dilophosaurus. The orbs of nutrients on its back may be based on the fact that many leguminous plants have nitrogen stored in nodes on their roots. The Treecko line's appearance and mannerisms are also strongly derived from leaf-tailed geckos.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Ew.
I like to image that it was also partially based off this:

Um, that's actually a Green Basilisk.

But yeah, the Treecko line is also primarily based off Leaf-Tailed Geckos.
haha, you don't like Dilophosaurus? Even if Sceptile is based off of a modern day lizard, he resembles a dinosaur and theres no disputing that.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Yo guys I'm not sure if we've tried this yet. But with Mega Sceptile on it's way without knowing about it's new move-pool do you think It's gonna include much more dragon-based moves? Maybe someone should make a off-topic thread for ORAS move predicion. Or discuss a move-change set for Sm4sh about extra Dragon-moves added for a complete do-over on Mega Sceptile, if he actually fights in Mega form (and if they add the dragon type as a change to him which is doubtful). So far from games Dragon Claw is TM worthy and Dragonbreath is Egg Move learning worthy.

Examples: Sceptile's D-throw could of been Slam, using his tail to put the smack down on the opponent. The ground pound causes a bounce off of it but with MEvo change Sceptile could use Dragonbreath resembling Charizard's D-throw in Brawl or PM.

Sceptile's old F-smash could of been X-scissor or Leaf Blade and when MEvo'ing it changes to Dragon Claw doing a regular smash attack but hitting harder.

Last edited:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I could see his D-Air being Dragon Tail, and his dash attack being Dragon Claw, both would make really good animations. Dragon Breath would be cool but imo Energy Ball would be a better projectile move.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I dig that @ Jmacz Jmacz I've gone over all dragon moves in a list and I wanna see if anyone here approves of any of them for whatever reason: (Excluding Roar of time and Spacial Rend because Legendary-exclusive only dragon moves)
  1. Dragon Rage
  2. Dragon Breath
  3. Outrage
  4. Twister
  5. Dragon Dance
  6. Dragon Claw
  7. Draco Meteor
  8. Dragon Pulse
  9. Dragon Rush
  10. Dragon Tail ( nice idea Jmacz for D-air)
  11. Dual Chop ( I could see MegaSceptile make great use of this move)
Thoughts?

Top Bottom