• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

smashkirby

Smash Hero
She may not be a fighter, but she'll be right by their side.
Everyone is here. Everyone can make a difference in the story... it just takes a bit of imagination.
View attachment 174983
I love the whole story concept, okay?
Honestly, it's STILL really throwing me for a loop right now that Galeem (Smash Ultimate's Thanos main antagonist) wiped out the ENTIRE Nintendo multiverse AND its inhabitants? Including EVERYONE from Popples? Galeem didn't even leave the most obscure of characters alive! It's inconceivable...

Um... You are aware that a tie-in to Lip being a Spirit in Ultimate would involve Lip being suddenly obliterated by Galeem's laser storm, right?
Oh, man. If this series of PdP videos ends with THAT...

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Isn’t Lip supposed to meet Arle next year tho?
Arle spirit confirmed??

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Poor timing on his part, is all.
Why would he choose to upload a video on the very same day as the final Smash direct?
That just strikes me as odd.
I wouldn’t upload something like that on the very same day a huge direct went down.
(Especially after Lip being a Mii outfit)

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Why would he choose to upload a video on the very same day as the final Smash direct?
That just strikes me as odd.
I wouldn’t upload something like that on the very same day a huge direct went down.
(Especially after Lip being a Mii outfit)
Either he's psychic, working on the game in secret...or it's a coincidence.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Either he's psychic, working on the game in secret...or it's a coincidence.
I think WA made it because of the lack of Pdp content in Smash Bros. along with Lip's lack of appearance in Smash. At least we know he'll continue the series in 2019 with Pdp x Puyo Puyo fan animation. The biggest Pdp content creator.

Let's see what Panel de Pon Content is provided in 2019.
Past content included:
2016: ACNL Welcome Amiibo - Panepon game and Lip outfit
2017: SFC Mini - includes Panel de Pon
2018: Lip makes her appearance outside of Japan for the first time to a large audience as a Spirit. She also has a Mii Outfit that can be worn for the Swordsman.
2019: ? (Maybe possibly localizing Panel de Pon or become a playable character as DLC but the 2nd one seems a bit to early unless she's a late inclusion)

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
The thing I’m wondering is how he’s planning on ending this Smash series before Lip ‘meets’ Arle.
And how exactly Lip will meet her.
(Wouldn’t it be crazy if this tied into Ultimate, somehow? Not saying it’s gonna happen, but it would be crazy.)

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Poor timing on his part, is all.
I really doubt he wasn't aware of the direct. The timing of the upload seems deliberate.

EDIT: So after a few days of calming down, what's your reaction? Are you happy with what Lip has gotten for Ultimate?

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
TBH this was more than I expected. They actually gave her spirit/costume a spotlight, which made me really happy.
Of course more would have been better, but i'm really excited to make a Lip Mii. If Spirits can also be Smash profile avatars i'd probably have her set as mine.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
EDIT: So after a few days of calming down, what's your reaction? Are you happy with what Lip has gotten for Ultimate?
I'm going to continue pushing for DLC. Even if she's not there, though (and considering there's no ballot poll and the DLC roster seems to have already been decided, that's pretty likely), campaigning loudly enough will be sure to have some effect on what Smash 6 is like. Like, Smash Ultimate is Lip's first official physical appearance outside of Japan ever. Not a costume, not replaced or reskinned, not removed, and not hidden behind an obscure button code that goes undiscovered for decades after release. Do you realize what a huge victory that is for us?

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to continue pushing for DLC. Even if she's not there, though (and considering there's no ballot poll and the DLC roster seems to have already been decided, that's pretty likely), campaigning loudly enough will be sure to have some effect on what Smash 6 is like. Like, Smash Ultimate is Lip's first official physical appearance outside of Japan ever. Not a costume, not replaced or reskinned, not removed, and not hidden behind an obscure button code that goes undiscovered for decades after release. Do you realize what a huge victory that is for us?
I agree. Granted her "physical" appearance is really her old official art, as a spirit.
The Mii costume is the biggest victory. Not everyone gets those.
I think the DLC is also already set, but you never know

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Technically, her first physical appearance was her being a sticker in Brawl. But for Ultimate, you could say that this is Lip's first legitimately advertised appearance outside of Japan.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The Brawl sticker is actually Furil but misnamed. This is the actual first appearance of Lippy outside of Japan.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
TBH this was more than I expected. They actually gave her spirit/costume a spotlight, which made me really happy.
Of course more would have been better, but i'm really excited to make a Lip Mii. If Spirits can also be Smash profile avatars i'd probably have her set as mine.
Do you think they'll mention Panel de Pon GB and the Pokemon de Panepon easter egg in her profile? I know they will probably mention the Lip's Stick item being her signature weapon and one of Kirby's transformations being her Garbage Block.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Tfw Lip’s future daughter makes some form of appearance before Lip herself.
Nintendo Puzzle Collection was the latest game in the series back then during Brawl's release. Plus it was released 3 years before Brawl started development. Smash only represents the series by fairies.
The Brawl sticker is actually Furil but misnamed. This is the actual first appearance of Lippy outside of Japan.
Its only Lip in non-Japanese versions of the game

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Tbh I think Lip can NEVER be an assist trophy in Smash, if Sakurai wanted to make her an assist he would've done it by now. (we know his affection for the series, which inspired him to work on Meteos.) Instead he wants to represent her as an item which is more complicated for debate, as some items are used in other fighter's moveset. The references are too obvious for him not to know about and they were put in intentionally, heck we know the assets can already be created to be an assist such as using the Garbage Blocks and Mii outfit to build the character Lip but ultimately pointless because of a Thwomp assist trophy. (Another Kirby Stone Transformation) Its also too much stage control with how large the Garbage Blocks would have to be. Maybe Saki and Famicom Wars soldiers were removed because the assist was too similar to an existing one and it seems to not interact that much with the fighters when summoned. (Spawn soldiers, shoot only projectiles horizontally tbh not much of an interesting assist trophy. Fighters move around the stage all of the time. The assist also looks very effortless to make.)
Suddenly Panel de Pon gets more representation than Advance Wars and Sin & Punishment despite the original content being represented from a Japan-only game.

The topic of debate for Lip has always been weather or not she will be in the game. Her being very unlikely to take the assist trophy route will always be more of an unknown for her to be playable in any smash game (no actual signs of actual deconfirmation) as that seems to the only viable route that she can be known to be HARD deconfirmed, or the Mach Rider music situation.

Lip's Stick item and Lip's Garbage Block was already known to not guarantee her a possible appearance in the game, so the view of discussion will overall be much different from other fighters. Its literally something that will never happen to any other character in any video game series, a reference for them can be seen as a hint towards a possible appearance such as the Namco items eventually which then Pac-Man came into the game. I know people who aren't familiar with this kind of discussion might just go straight to conclusion without any conclusive evidence. I especially see it whenever the Lip's Stick item is confirmed, the Garbage Block, and recently the Spirits/Mii Outfit.

I'm talking about it in the view that applies to any smash game for Lip, not just Ultimate.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
....I'm sorry, what? If anything, that last direct proved that Lip's Stick and the garbage block are not hard deconfirmations, at least not anymore.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
....I'm sorry, what? If anything, that last direct proved that Lip's Stick and the garbage block are not hard deconfirmations, at least not anymore.
I'm not talking about those items as being a deconfirmation of the character being playable.
I don't know why people associate appearance as "playable" but its not what I mean by the word appearance. I am talking about how Lip was still absent even when she had the Lip's Stick and the Garbage Block in the game. Lip followers didn't see those items as a hint of her making an appearance in the game, like the thoughts that would come out for other characters like possible trophy, assist trophy, maybe playable? Aka does she exist in the game, and will people know what she looks like?

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That's because we had no reason to believe things would be different. But, as it turns out, they are. Lip does exist in the game (after a fact), and the spirit and Mii costume let people know what she looks like. Again, it's a huge victory for us.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Congrats to you all. Lip may not be a character, but she's getting more recognition still and thats great. Next game, she'll surely be playable!

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Congrats to you all. Lip may not be a character, but she's getting more recognition still and thats great. Next game, she'll surely be playable!
I haven't seen the rebranding issue resolved yet though. Its going to take time unless they release pdp on NS Online or make a new game entirely with a fairy cast. People for example are still referring to the title objects you move around as "blocks" instead of "panels".

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Again...maybe all of these cameo appearances and costumes are building up to something. Especially now that she's appeared in Smash Bros. for the first time. Who can say?

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Again...maybe all of these cameo appearances and costumes are building up to something. Especially now that she's appeared in Smash Bros. for the first time. Who can say?
Just have to be more active and louder.
It's good to see you being more positive...compared to the past

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I was shocked and surprised when I saw the Lip Mii costume in that final Smash Direct. That's a huge step guys, congrats.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Just have to be more active and louder.
It's good to see you being more positive...compared to the past
It's because there's hope for the future once again. Slowly but surely, we're clawing our way back from the "darkest hour" that was SSB4. That sounded dumb and overly dramatic but you get my point.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I’d like to bring this up again now that Lip Mii Costume has officially been confirmed and Arle has yet to be deconfirmed.
How would you react?
I wouldn't give up hope. We already have one puzzle game character, a second isn't hurting Lip's chances, and she and Arle could easily have different play styles.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I’d like to bring this up again now that Lip Mii Costume has officially been confirmed and Arle has yet to be deconfirmed.
How would you react?
I wouldn't mind it but I hope Arlefans will be cool about it and not gloat.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I heard that Spirits will not have any descriptions in the game like the trophies, wouldn't this prevent people from knowing who Lip is?

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Mii costumes are a bizarre case.
I don’t really think they confirm nor deny anyone.
Chrom has an outfit and is playable, Takamaru has one and is an assist, so who knows?
I don’t think it harms her chances at all.
In Arle’s case tho, even though I HEAVILY doubt Sakurai would put her in before Lip, if it did happen, I’d honestly be a bit conflicted. I’d be happy to see them in somehow, but I feel like if they do, they should be treated equally despite popularity. It’s only fair.
(Plus, I doubt Arle could get in if Shadow couldn’t.)

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure you get the name + the name of the game. Which is enough imo
Well that wasn't enough info for people to get to know who Lip was in Melee, Brawl and Sm4sh when there was just a Garbage Block of Lip (which does not mentioned to be her's) or the Lip's Stick item. (Name + name of the game)
People still didn't know who this character was and even if we assumed that people had an idea on what she looks like from the Furil sticker in Brawl, it still clearly wasn't enough for people to know who she was.
I am pretty sure people had no idea who Takamaru was even with a Sticker during the Brawl days.

With the lack of trophies, spirits will at least have more time to shine more unlike the Stickers in Brawl.
However my only problem with the Lip Spirit is that I don't think ANYONE will bother to use it because it equips an item and it doesn't really KO opponents like other battering items. People would probably rather equip the Death one instead for obvious reasons.
This is where the lack of description for the Spirits will hurt her the most along with the more popular Spirits being found overtime. Which will pretty much make her go back to people's minds like its always been.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Stop being a pessimist. It's fine. Stop being a pessimist. Just the fact that Lip is appearing in person is a major boost to her visibility. Stop being a pessimist.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Stop being a pessimist. It's fine. Stop being a pessimist. Just the fact that Lip is appearing in person is a major boost to her visibility. Stop being a pessimist.
I'm gonna be real, hearing this from you is really nice. I remember just a little while ago when you thought all hope was lost. Just goes to show that we need to celebrate small victories.

I for one am excited to have some fun with a Lip Mii and the Spirit battle looks great! It was nice to come to this thread after the direct and see some smiling faces (figuratively). I feel like those of us who like more obscure franchises like PdP, Style Savvy, Chibi Robo, etc. lucked out just seeing our faves acknowledged in a Smash mode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom