• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Been ages since I posted, but thought I'd share an interesting little story.

This was several months ago, but while exploring the bar scene of Osaka, I made some interesting discoveries. At one game bar (they are a thing here), I found out that Panel De Pon was one of the most popular games there and a main draw to the point where they included it on their twitter banner.

At another bar, this time a dagashi bar that happened to have a lot of video games and otaku crap, they had a NES and SNES Classic set up. A guy there asked me if I wanted to play. He was a younger guy, probably no older than mid-30s (but with Japanese people I can never tell for sure). I scrolled through the games and picked Panel De Pon, which he seemed confused by. The 20-something year old female bartender exclaimed "Oh, I love Panel De Pon!", which I thought was interesting. So we started up a VS game only for me to start quickly getting my *** handed to me because I was pretty rusty. To save face, I started claiming that it was the first time I ever played (which probably confused him even more on why I would have picked it), so he quit the game and had me watch the tutorial, as I continued my little deceit. Afterwards, we start up another game and I end up doing better. After a few rounds it ends in a draw.

Now this is still only a very small sample of people, so I don't want to use this as evidence that PDP is super enormously popular in Japan or anything. But regardless I was surprised how many people of different ages here are still familiar with it.
Interesting story. I always new PdP was still somewhat highly regarded in Japan. It doesn't mean much but it still gives me a glimmer of hope.
Lip supporters, please don't let her exclusion hurt you too much. Clearly some fans are more content with her situation than others. But the ones who want it to change, hopefully, are aware of how much they're asking of the company, and doesn't seriously expect them to just poof Lip back into existence one day. So just take care of yourselves and try not to overthink the whole Lip ordeal.
I won't let it become the end of my world. After all I'm keeping my expectations low. If Lip ends up being revealed I'll be genuinely surprised, honestly. But very happy nonetheless.
If she's not in, I'll just campaign for her harder than ever for DLC. I'm pretty stubborn anyway. I'll keep pushing for her until she gets in.

Anyways guys sign N'Onnymous' petition and spread the word!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
So. Today's the day.

I'll be too busy to watch the direct, and honestly I'm not that interested at this point anyway. I don't want my heart broken like that for a second time. All I'll say is, see you on the other end. Whether or not Lip is in the base game, it's been a wild ride, one I'm glad I was able to make with all of you even if it didn't end so happily. And with DLC a very strong possibility, it's not over yet.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Her JPG is in as a spirit. Congratulations! I guess...
Oh, wait and a Mii Costume and an event too. Congratulations! Sakurai is actually still thinking about you!

Last edited:

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
well Lip Spirit

so that was something no one whould expect ehh?!

Nice I say. Very nice. I meen it's a step forwards.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
More than I was expecting. Hm. I wonder if she could still get in as DLC.

...someone want to tell me why we got a throwaway Mario enemy over Lip, though? Or Pauline, or even Captain Toad. I mean, Piranha Plant? Like...seriously, guys? I actually am sad the Grinch leak is not real now.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I am SO happy Lip actually got a Mii costume.

The sticker stuff is immensely disappointing though.

I wanted at least a 3D model of Lip.

The brief of amount of focus on Panel de Pon content made me so happy.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Lip getting in as a Mii costume is absolutely fantastic for the character. Especially considering how much more work Mii costumes have for this game. Lip won as far as I am concerned. The Mii Fighters in general have the same proportions as Lip does, so she is practically a fighter. Not to mention the customizable options for Mii Fighter voices.

11th

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to be honest: I teared up. A lot.

I was so worried that she wasn't going to get anything, and then she showed up as a Spirit, and then the Mii outfit... she's finally made it out of Japan. ;-;

Smashboards, please let my post go through.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
As dumb a choice as it is, Piranha Plant has proven that DLC is on the table for Ultimate. Maybe if we pushed hard enough, and strong enough...

Honestly, this is the best thing to happen to Lippy in a long, long, LONG time. Possibly since her original game was released. Just think of all the people who will come to love her via Smash! I almost feel like crying.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Lippy made it as a Mii Costume, I'm really happy!
DLC edition would be fantastic too, but just by the mii costume itself, we won!

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
If Lip isn’t a DLC fighter, we got to push with all our might she becomes a fighter next Smash!
A certain Sonic song feels quite fitting here:

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
5 Fighters left, a Piranha plant instead of the Fairy of Flowers. Well there goes my moveset idea of Lip which involved piranha plants. Time to chop some Onions for me.

If <Spirit> mean no AT or Fighter it's basicly over (incase, just for this time I swear! [I know I shoulnd't do that... but... but]) I hope the first DLC-Character disapporves this mindset.

Leaks were wrong as I suspectet! I feel genuinely sorry for the fans, which belived it with a good attitude.

Lip as a fighter would have been such a nice thing. Seems like I have to wait for a modern Flare's Theme, Cordelia's theme, Thanathos (the Panel de Pon one), Thianas Theme and more. Maybe in annother 5 Years.

It has been a nice time. See ya!

LipFlare

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
We all know what happened to K. Rool, right? Even if our DLC campaign falls through, we may still have enough of a support base to get Lippy in the inevitable Smash 6. Our enthusiasm has been renewed by this--let's not waste it!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If anything, we should try to get Takamaru's support base on our side, not form rivalries. His support group is nice and solid, and they'd make great allies for our campaign.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
If anything, we should try to get Takamaru's support base on our side, not form rivalries. His support group is nice and solid, and they'd make great allies for our campaign.
Yeah, I guess so.
We can push to get the Captain Rainbow trio in Smash!

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
It's probably best you rally up support for the next game, or just a new Panel de Pon game period. The DLC has likely been decided already and I'm not holding out for Lip, sad to say.

『SwingingStar』

Smash Cadet
That sure was something.

Even among the sea of deconfirmations, Panel de Pon has gotten more support today than in the last few years, It's nice to see Lip is now paraded front and center on directs, and is now playable on some level. I'd love for some new tracks, and maybe for some other fairies to get some play as Spirits.

All in all, it's been fun, and the future looks brighter for this series. We're now the Panel de Pon Series, after all!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It could work both ways, as I said. Even if it's not successful it at least puts the character in people's minds, and that's what counts. The louder our voice, the greater the chance we have of getting a playable role down the line.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I don't think Lip having both a spirit and Mii fighter hurts her as a DLC chance. I am happy she at least has that for now, and maybe we can see her come as DLC.

Still, that Mii outfit looks great on her

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Real talk the best news to come from that direct is that everyone who thinks Lip's Stick is a hard deconfirm because she can't dual-wield just got BTFO

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I have a Lip mii on my 3DS. Two, actually. One was made by Kapus. I can't get pictures right now, but I'll post them here as soon as I can

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Been a long time since I've been around here! Congrats at Lip being represented in a great capacity and the series being fully acknowledged as Panel De Pon! This is all great news!

I recently got the New Nintendo 3DS in New Leaf so I've been playing the Animal Crossing Puzzle League minigame and having lots of fun. This is indeed a great series that deserves a second chance. Maybe we can get an eShop release of a new PDP?

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I have a Lip mii on my 3DS. Two, actually. One was made by Kapus. I can't get pictures right now, but I'll post them here as soon as I can
Please do.
I’m not good at making look-alike miis, and I really want to main Mii Swordfighter now because of that outfit alone.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I wanted to drop in to congratulate you guy's for the solid amount of attention Lip got this direct! I'll admit; there were some characters in that direct deconfirmed that I wanted more than Lip, absolutely, but I thought of you guy's when Lip showed up! A little bright spot in a pretty dreary direct.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah...poor Isaac. Brought back just to be an assist. What a way to go. Even if Lip is getting the most attention now that she's had in years, I still feel bad for earthboy's supporters.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Soo... Arle is still on the table. If she happens, I will do my part and spread awareness for Panel de Pon. We're still a team, right?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Sure. Like I said, Lip should have no competition, only allies. Even as a fellow puzzle heroine, Arle's not an exception.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
We now have competition in Takamaru now tho.
Hope y’all realize that.
I wouldn't say competition. Let's unite the two and share a common goal: GET THESE TWO IN THE NEXT SMASH

I've waited 10 years for Lip to make an appearance in Smash and we FINALLY got something more than just the Lip Stick

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
1541093841683.png

I'm incredibly grateful she got this much attention throughout the Direct. She went from a non person whose main item made it in before her to a prominent gameplay feature. She even got a Mii Costume in her image.

Getting some K. Rool deja vu from this, but at least this only means she has an honest chance going forwards.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Quite impressed that Lip got good sum of spotlight in this Direct despite the overall implications stacked against her this entire Direct. Though I can't be super-excited over it, as IDK what precedence it gives to Lip in the future things. Felt little like New Leaf again to me.

However, a little shoutouts like these are more than welcome. I guess it's to be seen someday what come from them...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
You know, maybe...just maybe...the cameos and costumes of Lippy we've seen over the past few years aren't just there for fanservice reasons. Especially since they're in high-profile games like Animal Crossing and Smash Bros., and were pointedly not removed from the international releases. It's almost like they're trying to familiarize Western players with her.

Call me a nut, but I'm wondering if Intelligent Systems has a surprise in store after Three Houses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom