• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Yeah....I guess so.
Regardless, I’m still happy she got some attention in Ultimate. God bless Sakurai for all his work.
If this is the last game he's working on, then I don't know if the next person to take over will have as much affection for Pdp.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The man himself has said that he'll probably keep working on Smash Bros. for as long as Nintendo wants him to. And, again, it's one of their biggest money-makers, so why would they ever not want him to?

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
The man himself has said that he'll probably keep working on Smash Bros. for as long as Nintendo wants him to. And, again, it's one of their biggest money-makers, so why would they ever not want him to?
Yeah.
Plus with the amount of cuts they made to fan favorites like Waluigi, Shadow, and Isaac, all this means is more possibilities for newcomers in future titles. Yes, this even includes Lip if she isn’t DLC.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's a neat link for of cool images/previews. I have the Nintendo Power that has that particular Quest 64 preview.

I do wish we got that game with Lip in it. It's too bad...

That said, DLC is going to be interesting. Lip has been put in more games that Nintendo approved of, so she could be on that list. :grin:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
That line where he said "I wonder when I can take a break..." made me worried for a sec, but he's known to change his mind all the time and he seems to genuinely enjoy making video games. Hope his shoulder (hand) is okay.
That said, DLC is going to be interesting. Lip has been put in more games that Nintendo approved of, so she could be on that list. :grin:
Yeah same. That's very optimistic but I hope you're right. I at least can rest easy knowing that she isn't forgotten in Nintendo. Much better situation than a few years ago.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Well if Lip isn't DLC she definitely has her foot in the door.

A song, a spirit, a Kirby reference, a Mii costume and an item? Something's gotta give.

Truthfully I think Sakurai loves working on this game and probably won't stop until he's 102.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I didn't know where to ask so I'll just ask here:
Has there ever been a developer who said they 'DIDN'T' want their character in Smash?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I didn't know where to ask so I'll just ask here:
Has there ever been a developer who said they 'DIDN'T' want their character in Smash?
I don't believe there has been. Honestly you'd have to be crazy to turn down the opportunity.

DreamZeroX

Smash Cadet
This had me thinking about the Smash Direct, but Lip got a lot of Exposure this time around. Showing off her Spirit, Song, The Game Shes From, Mii Costume & LipStick. Nintendo didn't have to do that but it had me Puzzled (No Pun Intended) as to why go that far for her? I Smell some Flowery DLC coming On! That's just my Hunch. ️

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Do you guys get the feeling that most casual Nintendo grow weary of obscure retro franchises over time?

I kinda get that vibe when I research reactions of retro character reveals on social media lately, it seems like some do not care.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys get the feeling that most casual Nintendo grow weary of obscure retro franchises over time?

I kinda get that vibe when I research reactions of retro character reveals on social media lately, it seems like some do not care.
Older fans are losing interests and the newer fans would not know about stuff like Panel de Pon, Excitebike, Mach Rider, River City Ransom, Duck Tales, Famicom Detective, Balloon Fighter, Clu Clu Land, Muramasa Castle, I could go on. They would barely know Ice Climbers due to Smash, probably.
Even if they released them I doubt most new/casual fans would give them a try due to older and bland graphics (Which I disagree with, 8bit sprites still have their charms) and extremely simple gameplay. As much as I love Ice Climbers, the game isn't THAT good.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Newer fans would be much more likely to care about Panel de Pon than a simplistic NES game like Clu Clu Land, Urban Champion, or Mach Rider, considering the graphics are a lot more eye-catching and there's so much more effort put into establishing the world and giving the game a solid identity. A lot of early NES games feel kind of same-y, and even those that don't have the bare minimum amount of effort put into character designs and plot because video games were still viewed more as toys than as a medium in their own right. Even among Nintendo's "retro" franchises, Panel de Pon stands out in that way.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Newer fans would be much more likely to care about Panel de Pon than a simplistic NES game like Clu Clu Land, Urban Champion, or Mach Rider, considering the graphics are a lot more eye-catching and there's so much more effort put into establishing the world and giving the game a solid identity. A lot of early NES games feel kind of same-y, and even those that don't have the bare minimum amount of effort put into character designs and plot because video games were still viewed more as toys than as a medium in their own right. Even among Nintendo's "retro" franchises, Panel de Pon stands out in that way.
Especially when your main protagonist is a little girl (and a magical girl) as opposed to the usual adult characters.
I still think she is around the level of Ness (and later Villager) in terms of how diverse the character can be on the roster but I think Ness is only a bit more unique because of the saturation of characters that are from a fantasy setting while Ness is in the modern day that uses modern day equipment and clothing which most characters rarely have plus he's a kid. The modern day setting of EarthBound will always stand out to the series and will be reflected upon the roster.
Though the Puzzle game aspect of Lip will always be her strongest point in out of many characters which those kinds of movesets has been explored in Smash at all yet. There's not as much worries for Lip previously as many people saw what she looked like (even if she doesn't become DLC) but they do have to release more content for Pdp in some form within the next year, and not a simple AC mini-game like in 2016.

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Panel de Pon has alot appeal, from the original characters (battling spirtes[!] in VS) and the setting. The gamesystem is versatile in regards of the possible playstyles (Skilchain, Time Lag, 51 Combo+).

Merely if two formadible foes are clashing I see a potential problem with how overly longlastig some games can be (I prefere Lv 7 without Diamond [Dark blue block]). But this could be relativ easy adjusted with how the GB (Garbageblock=GB) are converted to cleable-blocks, to keep it fast paced -fitting for gen smartphone.

Example of clearing a GB: Still block-per-block but merely the bottom line of a x2+-GB [The flashing of the entire block should also be dropped, for a seizure-friendly darkening, which lights up to usally brightness, as the convertion of the bottom line has been advanced and finished].

Together with Pdp and Pdp2 we have: 18 Fairys 8 Monsters (the two Thanatos differ so that, the Pdp-one is more "realistic" while the Pdp2-one is more, well, PdP2-Style. Pdp2 Codelia count as monster correct? 1 godess and 1 prince who are playable and more if you consider NPCs.

Both generations of fairys make a perfect second player variant (no more <.< same fairy mirror matches).

Set up a story like: Two dimensions clashing and it could be good.
At the "Communion Festival" (of both generation) a spacetime-anomaly occurs sucking the respective fairygeneration into a thrid world. Dubbed as: Rift between realitys. Its the word of popples, but without the presence of the respective fairy, the world has gone off balance and has become a unstable and dark world. These unstable energys are turning the fairys hostile to each other. Just due an advising figure the <Players choosen fairy> has come into posseion of an relic, which emit a protecting forcefield which protect against the unstable/turning nature of the environment. Only the power of two generations may prevent the downfall of this world. But what created the timespace anomaly and who are the advisors (one for each generation and they can be plot material). So much for a potention story.

I hope for a fairy-dependent Pdp in the future may it stand-alone or with Wario's Woods or other puzzle games.

I wish you all a good time. See you soon.

P.S. That took longer than anticipated.

Last edited:

shammah121

Smash Cadet
I feel like the reaction to Lip won't be too bad because think about it this way----
With Lip being in the game, Smash introduces a new type of fighter: a magical girl!
Not a lot of people (well I know not a lot of Americans) were huge on incineroar getting into smash, but those same people who wanted a different Pokémon like the idea of having a wrestler in Smash! We have like 50 sword fighters so having something different like a Wrestler or Magical girl would be cool!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah, that's another niche she could fill. Especially if you pack her moveset and animations full of allusions and nostalgic references to '90s magical girl anime like Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura. (See the opening of WA's first Lip animation for an example.) If she's going to be nostalgic to 1990s SNES/SFC players anyway, why not go all in? It'd also be a good way to endear her to Western players who may not be as familiar with her.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm about to sign the Lip petition. I personally have not played Panel de Pon (only the Westernized Tetris Attack), but regardless I'd still love to see Lip. She'd be a great representation of some of Nintendo's lesser known characters along with Issac, and Tetris Attack (assuming it's basically the same as Panel de Pon) is a great game. I'm all for Lip, and would love to be added to the support list! :) N N. Onymous

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I'm about to sign the Lip petition. I personally have not played Panel de Pon (only the Westernized Tetris Attack), but regardless I'd still love to see Lip. She'd be a great representation of some of Nintendo's lesser known characters along with Issac, and Tetris Attack (assuming it's basically the same as Panel de Pon) is a great game. I'm all for Lip, and would love to be added to the support list! :) N N. Onymous
While Tetris Attack has issues from ever being re-released because of the licensing with the name, Nintendo can at least release the original Panel de Pon overseas so people can play the game. (Though no region lock is there anyways If you really wanted them to use the Japanese version if that ever comes out)
The Japanese version of the Yoshi variant also has issues because they have never re-released any Satellaview exclusive games on any of Nintendo's Virtual console service.

I still hope they release the fairies overseas because despite other non playable Japan-only characters being represented in Smash before Ultimate, they have not had their game localized such as Famicom Detective Club, earlier Starfy games and even earlier Wars titles. Murasame was the only one localized out of the many Japan-only Nintendo characters represented in Smash.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
DrfcEwpV4AAqWkU.jpeg

A nice art by a Japanese fan.
They Truly do love PdP.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm sooooo glad they remembered Lip's eyes are supposed to be droopy.

I still hope they release the fairies overseas because despite other non playable Japan-only characters being represented in Smash before Ultimate, they have not had their game localized such as Famicom Detective Club, earlier Starfy games and even earlier Wars titles. Murasame was the only one localized out of the many Japan-only Nintendo characters represented in Smash.
I hope they bring the fairies back too. With Smash Ultimate right around the corner, there's no time like the present to campaign for that.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
As someone who got Puyo Puyo Tetris for his birthday, I have to say Nintendo could really use some lessons from that game. Not just in presentation alone, also in gameplay mechanics. I know that Panel de Pon sometimes gets criticized for having two-player matches that are either over instantly or long and drawn-out, which is a problem that Puyo's now-standard Offset rule was created to eliminate. It'd be easy to implement: the more panels you clear while you have garbage incoming, the less garbage you actually get.

Hire me, Nintendo, I'll do you good.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
As someone who got Puyo Puyo Tetris for his birthday, I have to say Nintendo could really use some lessons from that game. Not just in presentation alone, also in gameplay mechanics. I know that Panel de Pon sometimes gets criticized for having two-player matches that are either over instantly or long and drawn-out, which is a problem that Puyo's now-standard Offset rule was created to eliminate. It'd be easy to implement: the more panels you clear while you have garbage incoming, the less garbage you actually get.

I think the Garbage Blocks effects would have two be twice as large from a normal chain if you implement a offset rule. The stack would also have to rise quicker.

Anyways, Hitagi (another leaker who isn't Vergeben) has deconfirmed Paper Mario & Advance Wars for DLC. (which are two series that Intelligent Systems has worked on) I'm pretty sure Panel de Pon is most likely in the same boat, but at least Lip has finally gotten exposure after so many years of being absent in Smash. Vergeben has said that this guy knows some things he doesn't know and vice-versa.

The main priority for that the Panel de Pon series needs is that it needs proper localization and establish Lip as the face of the series and to have its own identity.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Anyways, Hitagi (another leaker who isn't Vergeben) has deconfirmed Paper Mario & Advance Wars for DLC. (which are two series that Intelligent Systems has worked on) I'm pretty sure Panel de Pon is most likely in the same boat, but at least Lip has finally gotten exposure after so many years of being absent in Smash. Vergeben has said that this guy knows some things he doesn't know and vice-versa..
Let's not be so hasty. Paper Mario is Paper Mario, and Advance Wars is Advance Wars. Just because Paper Mario isn't DLC (if this guy is telling the truth) doesn't mean Lippy can't be.

shammah121

Smash Cadet
Let's not be so hasty. Paper Mario is Paper Mario, and Advance Wars is Advance Wars. Just because Paper Mario isn't DLC (if this guy is telling the truth) doesn't mean Lippy can't be.
I feel like that increases her chances of getting in!
Probably not, but what other intelligent systems franchise is likely as DLC if not those two------whhoops, forgot about Fire Emblem! I literally won't be surprised or angry if we get another FE rep. Just curious, how do you guys think Nintendo picked the DLC characters? Some say they're going to be modern characters, others say that they're going to be characters from games that have sold well.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I feel like that increases her chances of getting in!
Probably not, but what other intelligent systems franchise is likely as DLC if not those two------whhoops, forgot about Fire Emblem! I literally won't be surprised or angry if we get another FE rep. Just curious, how do you guys think Nintendo picked the DLC characters? Some say they're going to be modern characters, others say that they're going to be characters from games that have sold well.
I think Nintendo picked characters from third parties they want to have good relations with.

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
I had some thoughts about offsetting for PdP and came to the conclusion that: It work good in a pointbassed game and woulde be strange for Pdp. Can a 3 panel wide blocker be offsetted to be two or one field wide? How does a [?] Blocker (the overkilling 12 rows playerscreenfilling-stuff-of-nightmare, which accounts for nummerous games 9:59 and over clocking xD) fares? Will it be offsetted by a combo of lets say 33 (which is the lowest combo for a perfect easy "stair-combo", which fills the opponents flied with nummerous 6 field wide blocker?

Maybe I overexaggerate and there may be a easy solution for this.

Have a good time everyone.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
There's no point in trying to predict Nintendo, because they never do what's expected or standard anyway. (Except New Super Mario Bros. Few things in life are more certain.) As long as they didn't pick Steve, I'm sure I'll at least be all right with what was chosen.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman

Happy belated birthday.
Anyways I can't believe we have to deal with leaks again even after release.
I'm gonna go crazy.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
At this point, leaks, real and false, are just a fact of life. We can hope for the ones that sound the best to us and pray that the ones that have...let's just say undesirable characters are untrue. (Unless they have Lip in them, naturally.)

Thanks for the birthday wishes! It was a great day.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
A great piece of Lippy fanart from Twitter/Pixiv user Taiko:

I'd do more Panel de Pon stuff, but I've been super busy with an unrelated project. Sorry! I'll get back into the swing of things once it's done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom