• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
It gets increasingly harder and harder to simply ignore the leaks but I'll do my best. Thanks for the replies you guys.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Mother 3 wouldn't convince me (Earthbound never seemed to click with me), but an unedited Panel De Pon... that might convince me to get the Nintendo Switch Online. I think the only thing that would definitely convince me to get the service is the return of Miiverse, but an unedited Panel De Pon; that's a tempting offer, hard to resist.
Apparently you can use the Famicom versions even if you've subscribed to a non-Japanese version of the Nintendo Switch online. I'm sure Japanese players would be disappointed if Panel de Pon wasn't on the SFC Online and instead was the Yoshi version since PDP was included on the SFC Mini. Even if the Yoshi skin was in non-Japanese versions (Though there's a Tetris Attack issue since Nintendo does use the boxart of each game which MEANS they can't use the Tetris Attack one to begin), I'm sure the Panel de Pon one would still be accessible on the Japanese version. I'm sure region exclusives might come on the service eventually.
Also if Panel de Pon was to come out on the service, then we would be able to play ONLINE for the FIRST TIME for a Panel de Pon game since the Nintendo Wifi since shutdown in 2013. Though it would only be with friends, but I'm sure communities from other websites will probably share friend codes to play Panel de Pon with other people through the service. Maybe even possibly lead to some start of a demand for a new game?

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I just got around to thinking how lucky we may be for being a smaller group of people than say the Geno, Isaac, Shantae, Banjo Kazooie, or RayMan fandoms. It may mean we have an advantage.
What I mean by that is since those groups are much bigger and popular, they are most likely unaware of small details Sakurai has left here and there, and go for the more obvious choices. (No offense to them tho)
I mean, I have met no one outside of this forum that ever takes account of Lip’s absence in Ultimate so far despite the ‘Everyone is here’ claim. (Even when it has been that way since Melee.) Possibly even top leakers like Vergeben, which is possibly what Sakurai wants.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Well, Lip fans are sort of in the middle as far as representation goes. We're definitely luckier than fans of certain other characters, especially Ray MkII (it still makes me sad how Nintendo just let the rights to that series lapse), but at the same time, fans of characters like Waluigi and Isaac--who at least have Assist Trophy roles--don't seem to know how lucky they have it in comparison.

Happy 50th page, by the way!

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
A bit late on this but love those colors!

Anyway, I have been subscribed to my own theory that I think is pretty legit and likely, the music page icon theory. Back in the august direct we saw what the sound test screen looks like, and there were 3 missing spots on it.

View attachment 165529

these 3 spots must be for new series coming with new stages. I have been sure we are getting a retro as well(hence why I support lip) And I assumed the retro wouldn't get its own music icon as Iceclimbers, Rob, and Duck hunt didn't.

However, i was talking to people in the newcomer discussion, and they are pretty sure 4-5 is our max, more likely 4. So I thought, if there was 4 unique newcomers, and 1 is incineroar, how would a retro work? what retro could have enough music to get a stage and a music icon. Plus I thought all the top pics were also shown in that trailer. So I looked. I saw Shin Onigashma so no DOnbe and Hikari music icon. I saw Mach Rider, so no Mach Rider music Icon. Ballon trip is there so no ballon fighter music icon. Wrecking crew is there so no Wrecking crew music icon for that... one guy I keep seeing(hard hat someone) Even Clu clu is there.

But Panel De Pon wasn't there....

Yes, They didn't go down the full list. it stopped right at tetris. Lips theme comes RIGHT after Tetris C, and they stopped at Tetris A... coincednce?

Panel De Pon has a ton of music, that could fit very well with their own music icon, and get a stage using it. I think this gives Lip a huge boost in chances guys!
Nice theory. That and the newly detailed Lip Stick effect gets me a bit suspicious. O_O

Though I am gonna take those two things with a grain of salt until more in-direct hints come from Sakurai.

Right now, even with me betting on Lip as the retro, I am feeling pessimistic, but it is the same degree of pessimism and hope that I had prior to Skull Kid hints in the August Direct.

I am hoping things come our way.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nice theory. That and the newly detailed Lip Stick effect gets me a bit suspicious. O_O

Though I am gonna take those two things with a grain of salt until more in-direct hints come from Sakurai.

Right now, even with me betting on Lip as the retro, I am feeling pessimistic, but it is the same degree of pessimism and hope that I had prior to Skull Kid hints in the August Direct.

Incidentally, the Shantae thread's unity is starting to fall apart again after Dilly recovered. Hope for a character that isn't Incineroar or Ken would go a long way towards bringing joy back around these forums.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

They really let the rights to that lapse? shame. But yeah all we can do is speculate till an offical announcement or a leak happens

Incidentally, the Shantae thread's unity is starting to fall apart again after Dilly recovered. Hope for a character that isn't Incineroar or Ken would go a long way towards bringing joy back around these forums.
I am part of that thread. I feel like its just a few people are getting worried, but as a whole we are pretty solid.

zferolie

Smash Hero

Never have I wanted a leak to be more fake in my life.
I actually just watched that. Always good for a laugh hearing those leaks.

First, Skullkid is not going to be playable. I'm pretty sure on that. He's more fitting as a boss then he has the full range of his abilities as well as including the different forms of the mask, plus LoZ18 pretty much jumped ship and ran, burning all means of contact. He was the main pusher of Skullkid before it got onto everyones radar, so him jumping ship like that means he knew he wasn't in the game as a playable. So any list that shows skullkid I am 100% sure is fake.

And I'm not hating on skullkid. Him, or anyone added, is awesome. I just don't feel it.

As for Stanley, that would be a super out there fighter, but useally Sakurai's retro pics have some sort of relevance. He was just in that 1 game. Though ice climbers were also in one game, but I felt sakurai had a special connection to them. Lip though, while she herself was 1 game, her type of game has had multiple releases, plus she would/could represent puzzle games as a whole, maybe even pulling some tetris or yoshi's cookie into her gameplay. More so then Dr. Mario does.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Let's not place our blind trust in random anonymous 4chan threads, OK?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Apparently you can use the Famicom versions even if you've subscribed to a non-Japanese version of the Nintendo Switch online. I'm sure Japanese players would be disappointed if Panel de Pon wasn't on the SFC Online and instead was the Yoshi version since PDP was included on the SFC Mini. Even if the Yoshi skin was in non-Japanese versions (Though there's a Tetris Attack issue since Nintendo does use the boxart of each game which MEANS they can't use the Tetris Attack one to begin), I'm sure the Panel de Pon one would still be accessible on the Japanese version. I'm sure region exclusives might come on the service eventually.
Also if Panel de Pon was to come out on the service, then we would be able to play ONLINE for the FIRST TIME for a Panel de Pon game since the Nintendo Wifi since shutdown in 2013. Though it would only be with friends, but I'm sure communities from other websites will probably share friend codes to play Panel de Pon with other people through the service. Maybe even possibly lead to some start of a demand for a new game?
Yeah I heard about this. If they add Panel de Pon to the Japanese service I would subscribe in a heartbeat just to play Panel de Pon on Switch by downloading the Japanese version.

NukeA6

Smash Master

Never have I wanted a leak to be more fake in my life.
I haven't heard of Stanley the Bugman in so long. His fanbase and hype is dead ever since Mr. Game & Watch. So yeah.... fake.

EDIT : I spoke too soon about the fanbase being dead as there's a support thread on the first page. He used to have a bigger fanbase (similar to how Lip's started out) but it's surprising that some haven't given up yet. Can't keep a legend down it seems.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I too would jump at this the moment PdP is available. It would open the original game to the Western audience for the first time. The casual audience I hope

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I doubt Sakurai is actively trolling anyone. its very counter productive to do that to fans.
The entirety of the K. Rool trailer was him trolling with Dedede, don't think he's not above pulling fakeouts. I wouldn't be surprised if he's being informed on the fandoms of all these characters from an intern at NoA to someone who can reach him directly.

And I finally replayed Panel de Pon last night. Still a blast to play.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I'd be okay with this Roster; honestly. No Banjo or Isaac; but ey. Skull Kid and Geno. Rayman would be nice.
Wait, I just realized...this is fake.
Golden Sun was literally trademarked by Nintendo a few days ago, meaning that Camelot is probably working closer with Nintendo on Ultimate.
(Which I’m cool with, no offense to those that want Stanley, but I’d rather have Lip since she’s technically been a part of Smash since Melee with her stick.)

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Golden Sun was literally trademarked by Nintendo a few days ago, meaning that Camelot is probably working closer with Nintendo on Ultimate.
A few days ago? It probably doesn't mean much because I believe the final roster was already decided when development began, meaning this current trademark has no bearing on Isaac's chance.
Of course you could be right. Isaac would be nice to have.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
A few days ago? It probably doesn't mean much because I believe the final roster was already decided when development began, meaning this current trademark has no bearing on Isaac's chance.
Of course you could be right. Isaac would be nice to have.
Tbh, my knowledge of Golden Sun is limited, so I guess Isaac would be an “okay, neat” choice for me. But I think it still means Lip has a chance.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
The Golden Sun Trademark is sorta weird. It was renewed in 09, then in 17 and then in 18. So it's been renewed twice since 2009, when it only needs to be renewed every 10 years according to Japan law.

Edit: And if you have any Golden Sun questions, you could ask me, I'm pretty well versed in the series. Although I might not be able to answer very well. :p

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Edit: And if you have any Golden Sun questions, you could ask me, I'm pretty well versed in the series. Although I might not be able to answer very well. :p

Why don't we take that kind of discussion to another thread? I don't mean to alienate anyone here, but this is Lip's support topic, not Isaac's...

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Why don't we take that kind of discussion to another thread? I don't mean to alienate anyone here, but this is Lip's support topic, not Isaac's...
Yeah that's true, apologies for derailing a bit. The Isaac thread is always open to get questions answered, so stop by if you'd like.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn’t it be something if Lip was a playable fighter in Japanese copies of ultimate, but in others, there would just be another Yoshi alt with Lip colors.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
;(

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn’t it be something if Lip was a playable fighter in Japanese copies of ultimate, but in others, there would just be another Yoshi alt with Lip colors.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
;(
Let's not joke about that.
In all seriousness if they did that, NoA would receive serious backlash. There's simply no reason to do that in this day and age and simply no reason to do it for a collab fighting game.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Let's not joke about that.
In all seriousness if they did that, NoA would receive serious backlash. There's simply no reason to do that in this day and age and simply no reason to do it for a collab fighting game.
True.
I mean, I’m sure that NoA already has backlash from Mother fans. Those poor Mother fans...
In the case of Panel de Pon tho, there is no excuse for them to NOT release it worldwide already. Especially after SEGA doing this with Puyo Puyo. Doubt anyone cares nowadays about the gender of the main characters.
(And, if they do, they’re too sensitive for their own good.)

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
True.
I mean, I’m sure that NoA already has backlash from Mother fans. Those poor Mother fans...
In the case of Panel de Pon tho, there is no excuse for them to NOT release it worldwide already. Especially after SEGA doing this with Puyo Puyo. Doubt anyone cares nowadays about the gender of the main characters.
(And, if they do, they’re too sensitive for their own good.)
Is NoA aware of Lip, or Panel de Pon in general, gaining popularity in the West? I would hope so. Lip gaining recognition in the West would go a long way to get Lip in Smash.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Is NoA aware of Lip, or Panel de Pon in general, gaining popularity in the West? I would hope so. Lip gaining recognition in the West would go a long way to get Lip in Smash.
That’s what Smash is for. I mean, I want Lip in Smash mainly to have Lip in Smash, but the notoriety gained from being in Smash does wonders.

Like, we got ****ing Earthbound and Earthbound Zero in Virtual Console. That doesn’t happen without Smash.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

I had a lot of fun doing this one. How does it look? Nice to take a break from doing the rather complicated villains by working on Lip!

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I just came up with a trailer idea for Lip.

It opens with a series of brief gameplay clips of the Puzzle League games — Tetris Attack on the SNES, Pokémon Puzzle League on the N64, Pokémon Puzzle Challenge on the Game Boy Color, Planet Puzzle League on the DS, and finally that Tetris Attack minigame in Animal Crossing. We then jump back to the original Panel de Pon, but with the screen being too blurry to properly recognize it and a sepia filter applied; the screen gradually comes into focus and proper color, but before it's clear enough that a non-diehard fan could recognize it, it suddenly cuts out.

We cut to a CGI scene of the interior of a house, where Yoshi, Pikachu, and Isabelle are all sitting around a TV, playing a Puzzle League game together. The screen is facing the TV, so we can see that they're playing Puzzle League. There's a knock at the door, and the camera does a 180-degree turn to show Pichu standing on Jigglypuff to peer through the peephole. Pichu clearly has no idea who's at the door, and looks down at Jigglypuff and shrugs. As the two turn to walk away, the door suddenly bursts open, sending Pichu and Jigglypuff flying. There's a montage of Yoshi, Pikachu, and Isabelle's surprised expressions as we a see a silhouette in the open doorway, and a fairy strides into the room-

LIP BLOOMS ONTO THE BATTLEFIELD!

Cut to gameplay of Lip in action — dropping garbage blocks, flipping fighters with the familiar cursor, and of course, hitting people with her stick. (The precise moveset is probably the one proposed by N N. Onymous .) After Lip's Final Smash, it cuts back to the house, where Lip is now playing Puzzle League with Yoshi, Pikachu, and Isabelle. After this scene ends, there's a note that Panel de Pon is available to play through Nintendo Switch Online, and then the trailer ends.

zferolie

Smash Hero
The entirety of the K. Rool trailer was him trolling with Dedede, don't think he's not above pulling fakeouts. I wouldn't be surprised if he's being informed on the fandoms of all these characters from an intern at NoA to someone who can reach him directly.

And I finally replayed Panel de Pon last night. Still a blast to play.
Ok yeah, that is true. But that was a very direct troll. Slight teases like stopping before the Panel De Pon music, trying to troll Lip fans who are much smaller in size then K Rool fans, seems a bit much. Possible, but a bit much

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Ok yeah, that is true. But that was a very direct troll. Slight teases like stopping before the Panel De Pon music, trying to troll Lip fans who are much smaller in size then K Rool fans, seems a bit much. Possible, but a bit much
That would be cruel, since Lip fans are generally quiet and really not worth trolling for fun, at least in my opinion.
Also replaying Panel de Pon, I don't remember the A.I being THAT good even on normal. Or maybe I just suck.

Oh by the way I am super late but I read your predictions on Lip and I love your analysis on why Lip has a chance, thanks for the good read.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
No one has a problem if I posted Panel de Pon art not related to Lip? I'd rather not let these go unseen. Don't worry, there's no diapers.

C2jhDKw.jpg

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here's a topic for every supporter currently here: What got you into supporting Lip in the first place? Was it the potential she had as a fighter? Did you love Panel de Pon and supported Lip from there? Do you love retro choices in general? What is the source of your motivation to see the flower fairy in Smash?

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Here's a topic for every supporter currently here: What got you into supporting Lip in the first place? Was it the potential she had as a fighter? Did you love Panel de Pon and supported Lip from there? Do you love retro choices in general? What is the source of your motivation to see the flower fairy in Smash?
For me, it’s that I personally love unexpected retro reps. And none deserve a spot more than Lip imo. She has indirectly been a part of Smash since Melee with her flower stick, so I feel since this game is Ultimate, it’s about time she picks up her stick again and actually shows up in a game outside of Japan. Nintendo has ignored her and her series for far too long. Especially after Puyo Puyo became a hit worldwide.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
For me, it's one part recognition that Puzzle League is a rather large series in Nintendo history that only gets minor nods in Smash. While I'm also interested in retro reps in general, I guess I also appreciate how Sakurai manages to characterize... characters in Smash. Lip's depiction in her own game doesn't quite translate into Smash Bros., despite clearly being a "fighter," just like Captain Falcon, so I'm interested in seeing what Sakurai would do with her.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I played Panel de Pon back in 2006 and I liked the game (and Tetris Attack) enough that I figured that it deserved more recognition. Not sure how exactly she became my most wanted since I don't care about magical girls (Cutie Honey is the only exception and maybe that blonde and redhead from Madoka Magica) but it just happened 12 years ago and it was enough to bring me back after leaving Smash Boards 10 years ago. Just call it a weird interest. Smash Bros also made me like Peach, Zelda, and Isabel very much so I guess I assumed it would happen to Lip too.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I support Lip for 3 reasons:
  1. Lip's series was overshadowed and pasted over when it came to the west. I liked Yoshi's Cookie and Pokemon Puzzle League growing up, but it doesn't settle well with me knowing those were not the actual games I was getting.
  2. Lip's moveset potential around puzzle solving and stacking blocks is something never seen in Smash Brothers and would make for an entirely new experience.
  3. Nintendo having its own dedicated Puzzle Series brought back into the spotlight with intense Puzzle Tournaments would benefit the Big N greatly.
In short, it feels like Lip's identity was stolen when it was presented to the Western Audience. I want a proper introduction to Lip and Panel De Pon.

P.S. Having Panel De Pon as a Switch Online free game would be tremendous for Puzzle League players. It would make online tournaments fun and introduce the Puzzle Loving crowd amongst Switch users.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I just love retro reps, they bring a uniqueness in design that has no match. To be honest I never even finished Panel de Pon, I just want Lip in Smash.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I was won over by the moveset proposed by N N. Onymous (see the first post of the thread). In general, I really enjoy characters with movesets, quirks, and intriguing blends of strong and weak points that give them a niche in the roster that is entirely their own.

For characters already in the game, the principle of "unique niche" includes characters like Ness (the original character to possess a freely-guided projectile (PK Thunder), a projectile that expands to briefly hold the foe in place while steadily increasing their damage when it connects (PK Fire), and a move that not only nullifies projectile attacks, but actually turns them in the user's favor, specifically by healing them (PSI Magnet)), Jigglypuff (unrivaled aerial mobility and solid aerial attacks balanced out by lackluster performance on the ground), Lucario (grows more powerful as he gets closer to losing), Snake (deploys traps to control the stage), and Inkling (debuffs opponents and creates hazardous terrain with ink).

For movesets I created to support the characters I gave them to, there's Bomberman (uses powerful timed explosives that he can easily reposition after deploying in order to make sure that he catches his foes in the blast, but his explosives hurt him and can also be repositioned by his opponents, meaning his own attacks are dangerous to him as well), Corsola (utterly terrible speed, recovery, and overall mobility, but can heal itself at will, is absurdly difficult to knock off the stage in the first place, and can set up traps that are extremely difficult to escape once a foe is caught in them, causing lots of damage and giving Corsola an opening to do whatever it currently needs to do), Vaati (terrible damage output, but has a large arsenal of long-reaching and powerful windboxes, which means he can easily reposition foes or flat-out fling them off the screen), Moge-ko (amazing at dealing damage, with combos that are nearly impossible to escape, but terrible at actually scoring KOs due to low knockback growth on most of her moves), and Mii Wizard (awesome reach and power makes it great at fighting from mid-range or long range, but outrageously sluggish start-up lag puts it at a severe disadvantage at close range).

In Lip's case, I was won over by the idea of a character who can temporarily modify the layout of the stage (with puzzle blocks and garbage blocks), directly reposition characters and items (with the puzzle cursor), and has several moves that inflict the flower status (i.e. damage over time) to top it all off.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
i'm just going to be honest with you guys.

if steve from minecraft is a playable character in super smash bros ultimate as the rumors say

and panel de pon gets the status quo

i'm not buying this game

end of story

edit: in fact with my current frame of mind i may never buy a smash bros game again until lip is made playable

there are no words at the disappointment and disgust i feel that this could be a thing

Last edited:
Top Bottom