• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
PsychoJosh reminded me of another reason to include Lip in the game: gender balance! Only 1.5 (2.5 if you count Dark Samus) of our newcomers have been female, with everyone else being a dude. Considering SSB4's dedication to showing off Nintendo's women, this is a little odd. Lip would help provide some much-needed female representation to Ultimate's newcomer roster, and would help fill a niche that hasn't been filled yet--outside of maybe Nana, Smash doesn't have any younger female cast members yet. (Villagers are kind of vague.)

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
PsychoJosh reminded me of another reason to include Lip in the game: gender balance! Only 1.5 (2.5 if you count Dark Samus) of our newcomers have been female, with everyone else being a dude. Considering SSB4's dedication to showing off Nintendo's women, this is a little odd. Lip would help provide some much-needed female representation to Ultimate's newcomer roster, and would help fill a niche that hasn't been filled yet--outside of maybe Nana, Smash doesn't have any younger female cast members yet. (Villagers are kind of vague.)
Nana is kinda vague in that regard too, though Sak thinks of Iceis as lovers.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Lip and Dixie Kong would fill that quite nice.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
It comes up sometimes.

While on the topic, I do wish for a Panel De Pon stage. Almost like a Fountain of Dreams beauty, just in daylight, with rainbows and puzzle blocks. That would be a dream!

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
It comes up sometimes.

While on the topic, I do wish for a Panel De Pon stage. Almost like a Fountain of Dreams beauty, just in daylight, with rainbows and puzzle blocks. That would be a dream!
Because i was thinking, Lip's stage could work like the scrapped Dr.Mario stage.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here is an interesting new topic.

I have been thinking about how random Richter felt as an echo idea and how it opens the gate for several kinds of third-party echos.

So I have been thinking outside the box to come up with potential echos for all of my predictions. So far, I thought of Jill as a potential echo of Leon and Fiora as an echo of Elma, but not much else.

What if we got Arle as an echo of Lip, or Lip as an echo of Arle? I only thought of this idea mostly because Arle and Lip provide the same degree of great moveset potential, with similar play-styles, only switching the puyos to panels as the primary form of attack. I see Lip having the flower building effect, while Arle has more power to make up for the lack of having a special effect for her moves.

Do you think the idea is possible, or am I stretching too far? This is probably the only way I would personally accept the idea of Arle being in Smash, if Lip comes in this game.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Well ... I don't mind visually, to see Arle as an echo of Lip, but Pyuo Pyuo and Panel De Pon is very different from each other ... I don't know man.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Death's Scythe does appear in Ultimate as an item and I saw the user who had it in Simon's trailer, so its very likely for him to have a trophy of the user. I think it at least gives Lip a higher chance of making an appearance in some way, even if she's not playable. However other characters in the Castlevania Series has used the Death's Scythe outside of Smash, unlike Lip's Stick who has only really been used by Lip or Furil. It marks the 2nd signature item to be in the Super Smash Bros. Series.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
How are lips chances looking so far?
About 50:50, possibly 45:55. She's got as much going for her as against. Lip's Stick is confirmed, but given how crazy this Smash Bros. is getting (also the item is huge), that may not mean anything at all. Her major competitors are mostly deconfirmed one way or another, so we're still cautiously optimistic.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
About 50:50, possibly 45:55. She's got as much going for her as against. Lip's Stick is confirmed, but given how crazy this Smash Bros. is getting (also the item is huge), that may not mean anything at all. Her major competitors are mostly deconfirmed one way or another, so we're still cautiously optimistic.
Wouldn't Issac be considered retro? He's older than when Ice Climber's were brought into Melee. Ice Climber were 16 when Melee released. Golden Sun is currently 17 years. I think he's another competitor for Lip, unless retro is classified as only 80-90's related material. Possibly Ayumi, she was a trophy in Melee and was considered, but Japan-only series stopped that from happening and not as popular compared to FE. Any extra 1st party competitors did I not mention.
Issac has fan made creations such as being included in SSF2 (Lip's Stick does not appear in), and planned for PM which has helped his popularity as a requested fighter.

At least 90's newcomers are coming to Ultimate, Richter and King K. Rool to be specific, unlike the only DLC character we had in Sm4sh.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't Issac be considered retro? He's older than when Ice Climber's were brought into Melee. Ice Climber were 16 when Melee released. Golden Sun is currently 17 years. I think he's another competitor for Lip, unless retro is classified as only 80-90's related material. Possibly Ayumi, she was a trophy in Melee and was considered, but Japan-only series stopped that from happening and not as popular compared to FE. Any extra 1st party competitors did I not mention.
Issac has fan made creations such as being included in SSF2 (Lip's Stick does not appear in), and planned for PM which has helped his popularity as a requested fighter.

At least 90's newcomers are coming to Ultimate, Richter and King K. Rool to be specific, unlike the only DLC character we had in Sm4sh.
Retro is kind of a relative term for hardware characters (Mr. G&W, R.O.B.), but I agree it's kind of hard to identify what it means.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Forgot that Death was a stage hazard in Ultimate, which makes the Scythe in two places in the game, though the Green Shell does this too in previous games through Adventure/SSE/Smash Run. But comparing the Scythe they just shrunk it appropriately (because he's much larger than the fighters). If Lip has no appearance it would be a shame since this guy with his signature weapon appears in the game while the other one doesn't. The item seems to be shinier than the stage hazard along with the aura. They can do this with Lip also if they wanted to. This proves how easily you can make an item and wielder distinguishable.
Screenshot 2018-08-09 at 10.38.15 PM.png Screenshot 2018-08-09 at 10.40.58 PM.png

Also isn't it a coincidence that they revealed the Ramblin' Evil Mushroom item which puts something on your head, and Death's Scythe which is also a signature weapon of another character.? These are two things the Lip's Stick has done before in the Series.

Head effects
800px-SSBUWebsiteOlimar5.jpg Screenshot 2018-08-09 at 11.30.45 PM.png
Signature Weapons
SSBUWebsiteRichter5.jpg Screenshot 2018-08-09 at 10.40.58 PM.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Has discussion on a Lip stage been talked about?
Sometimes, though quite rarely. I did make a stage in the past which had you fighting on Lip's island with all the other ones in the background, as well as the big landmass with the mountain on it, basically remaking the SNES background. I also threw some GC stuff in there because Smash likes to merge various games from a series together. I don't have a picture right now, though I'm currently remaking it from scratch anyway.

N N. Onymous also had a stage idea in the past, which basically featured the other fairies as stage hazards. Although I don't remember the details that well, it's been quite a while, after all.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Forgot that Death was a stage hazard in Ultimate, which makes the Scythe in two places in the game, though the Green Shell does this too in previous games through Adventure/SSE/Smash Run. But comparing the Scythe they just shrunk it appropriately (because he's much larger than the fighters). If Lip has no appearance it would be a shame since this guy with his signature weapon appears in the game while the other one doesn't. The item seems to be shinier than the stage hazard along with the aura. They can do this with Lip also if they wanted to. This proves how easily you can make an item and wielder distinguishable.
View attachment 156795View attachment 156796
Like N N. Onymous said a few pages back, the stick Lip normally has could stay closed when she's not attacking like in her original game sprites. Either that or she could have Furil's stick since it's design is slightly different but I think that that would be a bit insulting to her character.

P.S. I'm 32 today so Lip not being 100% disconfirmed is almost as good a birthday present as her being confirmed IMO.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

Isaac is not Retro. He appeared in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. in 2010.
That's only 8 years ago. I wouldn't call that Retro.

While I know what you mean, but it's like K. Rool, I could not see him as Retro either, being in appearences since 2008 with Super Sluggers on the Wii.
But, then again, that's my opinion, it's not the law, and I do agree Retro is more of how you definate it yourself.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Retro is a pretty arbitrary term. The common fan usage in terms of Smash is that "retro" means the character has not appeared in that amount of time. However, there is no guarantee that is how Sakurai sees it. Rather, he treated Duck Hunt as a "surprise character". That, I think, fits Lip's description a lot better than an arbitrary term like "retro".

Isaac would not be a surprise character, but rather a highly requested one.

https://i0.wp.com/www.sourcegaming.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Scan-Translation-3.png

"They will be this game's surprise character"

Full article:
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/07/04/english-smash4-project-proposal-slides/

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Agreed, Lip would fit the surprise very well.
There are only 2 other ways I could see it happening (even if there are plenty more in Sakurai's wake)

The 3 ones are;
- Lip being chosen, Japan exclusive design, but would please fans over the world, bringing the formula of Panel De Pon into Smash.
- Rhythm Heaven is considered a surprise, being Chorus Kids. Having a trio character would definently be a surprise, even how much we speculate RH.
- Doshin the Giant ... NO ONE would expect it, and I'd be really happy.

As said, many other ways it could go, but those are some I could see from the top of my head.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Rhythm Heaven seems the most likely at the moment (check Donkey Kong's TV in K. Rool's trailer), but Lip could still squeeze in as a retro. (...Assuming this game's "retro character" isn't like, Simon Belmont...)

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Rhythm Heaven seems the most likely at the moment (check Donkey Kong's TV in K. Rool's trailer), but Lip could still squeeze in as a retro. (...Assuming this game's "retro character" isn't like, Simon Belmont...)
TBH, I see Lip being unveiled as the "surprise" character like DHD was in SBB4.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
TBH, I see Lip being unveiled as the "surprise" character like DHD was in SBB4.
Well, again, don't get your hopes up. Still, I'm praying every day and every night that she's in. If Lip isn't in the "ultimate" Smash Bros. game when everybody else is here, even Kid Dracula, then that will prove once and for all that someone at Nintendo, for some reason, actively wants this series and its universe to die and stay dead. And we'll never know why.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I am sure they already know what the roster is in the game, at this point they would just be polishing up the characters, mode, and stages in the end, almost about 3 months away from the game's release.
Unless they are doing some less minute additions like Bowser Jr. SSB4 or Sonic, Jigglypuff, Wolf and Toon Link in Brawl.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Well, again, don't get your hopes up. Still, I'm praying every day and every night that she's in. If Lip isn't in the "ultimate" Smash Bros. game when everybody else is here, even Kid Dracula, then that will prove once and for all that someone at Nintendo, for some reason, actively wants this series and its universe to die and stay dead. And we'll never know why.
I meant to say IF she makes it in. I understand fully that her chances are 50/50 at best.

shammah121

Smash Cadet
Here is an interesting new topic.
What if we got Arle as an echo of Lip, or Lip as an echo of Arle? I only thought of this idea mostly because Arle and Lip provide the same degree of great moveset potential, with similar play-styles, only switching the puyos to panels as the primary form of attack. I see Lip having the flower building effect, while Arle has more power to make up for the lack of having a special effect for her moves.
Not a bad idea! In my opinion I feel that if Arle was to be an echo of Lip or vice versa I feel that Lip would need to borrow the abilities of her other fairy friends to be similar to Arle because the thing about Arle is that she can use fire, thunder, ice, etc. She's not limited to just one element like Lip, but I still think it could work!

Also, just image seeing a CGI trailer that featured Lip! Man....wouldn't THAT be amazing?

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Not a bad idea! In my opinion I feel that if Arle was to be an echo of Lip or vice versa I feel that Lip would need to borrow the abilities of her other fairy friends to be similar to Arle because the thing about Arle is that she can use fire, thunder, ice, etc. She's not limited to just one element like Lip, but I still think it could work!

Also, just image seeing a CGI trailer that featured Lip! Man....wouldn't THAT be amazing?
It would be a good idea if they weren't from 2 different series. So far, all echos are from the same series as the character they're based off of.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I imagine the reveal trailer's plot for Lip being some fighters fighting each other with several items, with Lip picking up her stick back to join the battle.

That is the most likely scenario for her trailer I feel.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
These trailer ideas are too obvious. The reveal trailers so far have mostly shown the characters' original universe in full display.

I'm thinking Yoshi and Pikachu are fighting a massive, horned shadowy figure, and lightning reveals it to be Thanatos. They fight valiantly but Thanatos smashes them all away with his hammer, then Yoshi lands in front of someone wearing boots with flowers on them. Camera pans up to show Lip clutching her wand and determined to defeat Thanatos, and then she attacks him (the camera) with her tagline showing up, "Lip Pops In!"

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Yeah, I also feel like Lip feels very fresh, and good for Subspace too. She just sound like she'd fit right into a story mode.

shammah121

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I also feel like Lip feels very fresh, and good for Subspace too. She just sound like she'd fit right into a story mode.
What if we get a Thanatos boss battle? I feel they might pick weird characters for bosses....IF there's a story mode or anything like that.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I could maybe see a Thanatos boss battle even without a playable Lip. It'd be pretty obscure, but it could be neat because he could actually just be playing Panel de Pon to create garbage blocks that drop on you.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
It kinda feels wrong posting in here, due to my writeup on Arle's thread, but I support Lip too! Not as much, but I still do! I'm a more cynical guy, but I don't want to come of as Anti-Lip, apologies if I did. And she's not deconfirmed by any significant means, in fact I kinda feel bad how Lip's Stick was just revealed. I wasn't estatic that "Arle's enemy has been eliminated", in fact until I lurked on this thread I didn't know Richter had an image of it.

As for the Arle/Lip mutual echo thing, no either way. Arle can do so much more and so can Lip. Plus, if Arle has Carbuncle with her, that presents a problem for Lip (unless the Watabou is just as capable, or she summons the other fairies, but I'd want them as Assist Trophies or on the Panepon Stage). Though, like how I imagine Arle taking out her resentment to Kirby for swiping her localization in her reveal trailer, would Lip's trailer feature Yoshi and Pikachu?

Top Bottom