• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
Definitely count me as a supporter. I love Lip and her fans are some of most chill, fun Smash fans I've seen. Here's to hoping the fifth time's the charm! :)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please be respectful of other people's opinions. If you disagree, please do so in a respectful manner.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Right, so, moving on...

To unlock Lip you'd obviously have to do a 100 hit combo in Training mode. The longer the chain, the more rewarding it is, as they say. :p

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Smash barely even has true combos so some adjustments to the combo system would be necessary for that to be possible.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Whoa, what happened in here while I was gone? ._. Lip fans are some of the most chill people I know. Certainly not "mean."

Only one more week till our dreams are crushed. I'll keep my fingers crossed for our girl, as unlikely as she is.

PsychoJosh

Only one more week till our dreams are crushed. I'll keep my fingers crossed for our girl, as unlikely as she is.
Not true. In just one week we're going to see what the gameplay looks like. We still won't know what the final roster will be.

I doubt Lip would be revealed from the moment they show off the gameplay. They NEVER spill the entire roster on day one.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's possible, but this is the first time since Melee that a Smash game has been announced so close to release. And we knew about Melee's full roster pretty quick. (Not immediately, since only the base roster was revealed at E3 2001, but also keep in mind that the Internet was a lot smaller then--back in the day, leaking something from a company as big as Nintendo was downright inconceivable). We'll know the full roster sooner rather than later.

PsychoJosh

Not necessarily. One thing I wouldn't be surprised by them doing is adopting a "Season Pass" system for DLC characters, as has been done by other fighting games like Street Fighter 5 and Injustice 2. Basically you pay for "seasons" of DLC characters, with 6-8 characters included in one season and then 6-8 in the next, and so on. They get released as they get completed.

Which would mean, until Nintendo announces otherwise, we'd never know the full final roster at any point in time.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Whoa, what happened in here while I was gone? ._. Lip fans are some of the most chill people I know. Certainly not "mean."

Optimistic as ever, hahaha.
But then again, the fun part about being in the fanbase for a very unlikely character, is that it only feels sweeter when by a stroke of luck, they make it in.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Not sure if my name is on the support list, but just in case, I'd like to be added! :)

I seriously don't understand why people say Lip doesn't stand out enough. Like bruh, does fighting with a ****ing flower isn't?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
These same people probably think Takamaru is the only truly unique choice for a retro character. I never got what was so appealing about him, honestly. It's not even the sword--he's just a generic, undistinguished samurai who brings nothing to the table aside from a projectile-focused moveset. Lip has a more interesting design, more interesting attacks, and represents a genre of game that is currently only repped by a clone, adding tons of potential to her moveset (whereas Nazo no Murasamejo is just an action game).

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Outside of Lip, Balloon Fighter is perhaps the most interesting Retro in terms of design and moveset. That's the reason those are the ones I want.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
These same people probably think Takamaru is the only truly unique choice for a retro character. I never got what was so appealing about him, honestly. It's not even the sword--he's just a generic, undistinguished samurai who brings nothing to the table aside from a projectile-focused moveset. Lip has a more interesting design, more interesting attacks, and represents a genre of game that is currently only repped by a clone, adding tons of potential to her moveset (whereas Nazo no Murasamejo is just an action game).
I don't know much about Takamaru, but I've been told he turns invisible as well. He's definitely a unique choice. Don't let looks deceive you

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The thing I love about retro reps is that, as back then games were all about the gameplay, they all tend to have kickass potential movesets. Takamaru does too, but to me it’s not an either-or situation. The great thing about retro reps is that they all have to get in eventually!

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'd much prefer we moved away from repping specific time periods, and just start looking into as many franchises as possible. I'm tired of relevancy being an important factor, and wish dead series got their due.

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
The fact that Lip hasn't gotten any representation in Smash at all beyond an item is just kinda depressing IMO. That needs to be fixed, stat.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be against it. Capcom remakes early Street Fighters all the time, and have added characters later on, I don't see why Nintendo can't do the same.

Speaking of, I just bought the 30th anniversary edition, which includes 12 different SF iterations. Would be cool if Smash would do the same for it's 20th anniversary. Includes 64, Melee, Brawl (and PM), maybe even 4 with some additional content for each.
Like this roster would be perfect to me for a remade 64. I legit play 64 more often than any other Smash game. If this was remade with these characters, I'd hardly ever touch any other Smash game. It's that cartoony, wacky, and comic book like style of the OG Smash (as well as the gameplay being my favorite in the franchise) that makes it so charming. Having Lip and Marth in that would have me playing this game every day.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Like this roster would be perfect to me for a remade 64. I legit play 64 more often than any other Smash game. If this was remade with these characters, I'd hardly ever touch any other Smash game. It's that cartoony, wacky, and comic book like style of the OG Smash (as well as the gameplay being my favorite in the franchise) that makes it so charming. Having Lip and Marth in that would have me playing this game every day.
One thing 64 did best was its style, I agree. I miss the comic book-esque effects when characters got hit like the basic Kapow effects or when Pikachu electrocuted someone they turned black and you could see their skeleton iirc. The roster is good with me too.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'd much prefer we moved away from repping specific time periods, and just start looking into as many franchises as possible. I'm tired of relevancy being an important factor, and wish dead series got their due.
Seriously, Sakurai HAS GOT to get out of that mindset when selecting new characters for Smash. He's seriously limiting himself more than he needs to with rules like that. It's rules like that that haven't allowed the likes of Lip, Takamaru, Prince Sable, Ayumi Tachibana, Donbe and Hikari, Doshin, and arguably Mike Jones into Smash.

BTW, during an interview that took place shortly after Smash 3DS' release, the interviewer asked Sakurai if he could please add Donbe and Hikari to Smash. Sakurai even went on record to say that since Shin Onigashima never got released in the West, it "wouldn't be feasible to add them at this time". Needless to say, I died a little bit inside reading that.

PsychoJosh

Sakurai adjusts his rules a little with every Smash game. I'm curious as to how he'll readjust them here.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’d argue that mindset actually benefits some characters more. If Sakurai considers only the NES/SNES era ‘retro’ then eventually all those characters will make it in, it’s not like there’s new NES games coming out.

If you’re in that awful area where you’re not ‘retro’, but you’re not relevant, like all the amazing GBA franchises seem to be, then yeah that sucks.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I’d argue that mindset actually benefits some characters more. If Sakurai considers only the NES/SNES era ‘retro’ then eventually all those characters will make it in, it’s not like there’s new NES games coming out.

If you’re in that awful area where you’re not ‘retro’, but you’re not relevant, like all the amazing GBA franchises seem to be, then yeah that sucks.
Yeah that's kinda the point I was making. It's fine for NES games, sucks for literally everyone else that's irrelevant.
Seriously, Sakurai HAS GOT to get out of that mindset when selecting new characters for Smash. He's seriously limiting himself more than he needs to with rules like that. It's rules like that that haven't allowed the likes of Lip, Takamaru, Prince Sable, Ayumi Tachibana, Donbe and Hikari, Doshin, and arguably Mike Jones into Smash.

BTW, during an interview that took place shortly after Smash 3DS' release, the interviewer asked Sakurai if he could please add Donbe and Hikari to Smash. Sakurai even went on record to say that since Shin Onigashima never got released in the West, it "wouldn't be feasible to add them at this time". Needless to say, I died a little bit inside reading that.
I think it's only Sakurai's "fault" to an extent. I'm sure there's characters he HAS to add before he gets to do whatever he wants.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

RIP in pastrami Isaac's chances of being in Smash

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I think it's only Sakurai's "fault" to an extent. I'm sure there's characters he HAS to add before he gets to do whatever he wants.
At the same time, though, there are only a few guaranteed "shoo-in" characters per game, like Inklings and potentially a Gen VII Pokemon for this one. (Spring Man is also an option, but development on Smash 5 started long before ARMS came out, so to add him to the game would cause delays.)

I really, really hope Sakurai changes his mind on the "Japan-only characters and/or characters from dead series are low-priority", considering how well the return of Lucas and Roy as DLC went over. Lip honestly deserves a much bigger chance than she's getting, and as neutral as I am as Takamaru, he does too. Lip's fanbase is only going to grow--they can't keep her buried forever.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I hope you're right. I really do.

At least Lip has been getting some more exposure lately. That's really what she needs...just more people who know she exists and realize her potential as a Smash fighter.

CH4F

Smash Cadet
A fan video on Lip for Smash Bros. Made by Japanese fans and translated in English.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Not sure if my name is on the support list, but just in case, I'd like to be added! :)

I seriously don't understand why people say Lip doesn't stand out enough. Like bruh, does fighting with a ****ing flower isn't?
I think the thing that gets me the most ???????? about people saying this are those who hear "she's the rightful face of Tetris Attack/Puzzle League" and don't immediately draw the conclusion of using the cursor to literally target people or switch/swap them around with herself or other elements on the stage.

This is literally the gameplay of that franchise.

This is literally the most insane thing about her in a Smash context.

How can you not see how hilariously great that'd be? Never mind her conjuring and dropping garbage blocks on people.

So I feel the need to address this as a Takamaru fan as much as Lip is literally right next to him and Mike Jones in my absolute holy trinity of "would probably reduce me to a 12 year old if confirmed playable" tiering list.

Takamaru's intrigue comes from the idea that he brings quite a bit of Nintendo trivia forward between him being a sort of sibling character to Link, Samus and Pit, three pretty big or well loved characters within the Nintendo fold, the ability Smash has to give him an audience he was pretty much denied in the past because old NoA was on some **** thinking a samurai dude running around fighting ancient demons, Japanese or no, wouldn't appeal to the west, and finally there's a genuine technicality to the character between his iai/draw from the hip swordplay contrasting literally every other sword play style already present as well as his constantly underrated projectile and space control game. He has a tool and trick for every situation and Smash has gone this long without this kind of swordsman present that it's honestly wild to me.

I also don't get this huge fascination everyone has with Takamaru's "simple" design. If anything, that's a huge part of the appeal for me because a design that clean would no doubt be supported by some fun animations with elements swaying in the breeze or emphasis on special effects and character humor (seriously, that character is funny and his knockdown sprite animation suggests that he's supposed to be a bit more on the campy side than srs business dude). I don't need every newcomer to be abstracted to hell and back, and I don't think it should be seen as a negative for him to be on the undersung side, especially considering that's his entire character arc in bare minimum plot of his own game.

I genuinely want both of these characters a lot, but the overall discussion in here just reminds me of all the times I spent in other communities where I had my number one just consistently **** on because he just didn't meet some base level of qualification for consideration and honestly it's really putting me off to sticking around here. =/

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I think the thing that gets me the most ???????? about people saying this are those who hear "she's the rightful face of Tetris Attack/Puzzle League" and don't immediately draw the conclusion of using the cursor to literally target people or switch/swap them around with herself or other elements on the stage.

This is literally the gameplay of that franchise.

This is literally the most insane thing about her in a Smash context.

How can you not see how hilariously great that'd be? Never mind her conjuring and dropping garbage blocks on people.
Functionally I just see it being a glorified Mario side+B. But we'll see.

Top Bottom