• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'll say it now.

I'd be content with her just being an Assist Trophy, at the very least. Obviously the more optimal choice would be for her to be playable, but with her being an Assist, it would at least raise awareness of her character and her series, in similar ways Saki Amamiya, Takamaru and Prince Sable have.
I really hope so! I could see her popping out, using her stick to make those blocks fly from the sky, and hit the opponents. Would be cool way to get her into the awareness scene of Smash for now. Still, playable, one day!
I agree. Obviously I'm still holding out for a playable role, but any acknowledgement at all, even via Assist Trophy, would make my day at this point.
This is exactly something that's been on my mind since Smash 4's speculation period. When you consider how Lip's been getting the short end of the stick for who knows how long, then Takamaru AND Prince Sable (Especially notable in the latter's case, considering that he's also a Japan-only character and I'm pretty sure he himself hasn't made ANY physical appearance in anything new in years, unlike Takamaru who at least had little references to him trickled around here and there) managed to make physical appearances in Smash as ATs at the very least, it just sort of lights a fire in your belly, you know?

I know, this might sound like a quitter thing to say, but I legit would accept Lip being an AT (or even a simple trophy) for Smash, as it would at least bring her (and the fairies by extension) more exposure.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I know, this might sound like a quitter thing to say, but I legit would accept Lip being an AT (or even a simple trophy) for Smash, as it would at least bring her (and the fairies by extension) more exposure.
As someone who’s supported both Lip and Sable for a long time, having Sable be made an AT and now seeing how many people are nominating him in the RTC thread, that’s big evidence that it makes a huge difference.

That said, Lip always struck me as someone who’d make it straight to playable. Too much potential I guess.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
As someone who’s supported both Lip and Sable for a long time, having Sable be made an AT and now seeing how many people are nominating him in the RTC thread, that’s big evidence that it makes a huge difference.

That said, Lip always struck me as someone who’d make it straight to playable. Too much potential I guess.
Wow, has Prince sable really gained that much favor from just from being an AT? I mean, I remember what I just said about Lip and how I'd accept her being an AT, but I honestly didn't think someone like Prince Sable would benefit from being an AT as much as someone like Takamaru. Not going to lie, this is actually giving me a little hope for Japan-only characters...

As for Lip herself, I really get what you mean. Part of the reason that I hope she doesn't become an AT is because she just has SO much potential, that it would feel wasted if she was just an AT.

Speaking of which, in the event that she's playable in Smash, she strikes me as being a hidden character you'd have to unlock.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
What do you think her newcomer poster would look like?

One idea I think would be neat is a poster based on the fairies' backgrounds, with Lip in the center and 8 other Smash girls around her referencing the other fairies.

:4peach:could be floating with her parasol in place of Windy

:rosalina:would work in place of Sherbet

Thiana would be :4villagerf:or :4sheik:, depending on whichever would make more sense

:4zelda:,:4robinf:, or :4samus:could work for Flare, because they each have a fire attack

I could see Elias and Neris being either Inkling or :4corrinf:

:4wendy: would make the most sense as Ruby

And it goes without saying :4bayonetta:would need to be Seren.

Luminario

Smash Lord

One idea I think would be neat is a poster based on the fairies' backgrounds, with Lip in the center and 8 other Smash girls around her referencing the other fairies.

Thiana would be :4villagerf:or :4sheik:, depending on whichever would make more sense

:4zelda:,:4robinf:, or :4samus:could work for Flare, because they each have a fire attack

Ooooh I never thought of this. They should all pose just like the fairy's artwork too with them all surrounding Lip.
I'd say :4robinf: for Windy, with Elwind blade effect at the end of her finger.
:4zss: For Thiana, for the high braid ponytail, with the Paralyzer whip spiraling around her just like the leaves in Thiana's artwork.
:rosalina: For Elias, cause of the long dress and elegant pose.
:4peach: For Ruby, her artwork pose is exactly like Peach's up tilt heart attack.
:4zelda: For Flare, Din's Fire pretty much explains itself.
:4corrinf: For Neris, just cause of the water effect and cause Corrin could hold that mermaid tail pose with 2 legs and not look overly weird.
:4palutena: For Seren, they've both got the goddess look goin on with the staff.
I don't know who'd then work for Sherbet cause none of the other girls have ice powers or would fit that pose, but any one of the girls or a newcomer could cover that. Maybe Nana for her return?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I feel like if neither the illustrator for the SNES game or the GameCube game (I don't know if they're the same person or not) could return to draw a newcomer poster for Lippy, they'd either A. do a sprite collage like what they did for Pac-Man and Duck Hunt, or B. just do a 3D render with Lip and a few other characters, as with Villager.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, what do you know? I saw that today, and I was just about to post this here!

Ooooh I never thought of this. They should all pose just like the fairy's artwork too with them all surrounding Lip.
I'd say :4robinf: for Windy, with Elwind blade effect at the end of her finger.
:4zss: For Thiana, for the high braid ponytail, with the Paralyzer whip spiraling around her just like the leaves in Thiana's artwork.
:rosalina: For Elias, cause of the long dress and elegant pose.
:4peach: For Ruby, her artwork pose is exactly like Peach's up tilt heart attack.
:4zelda: For Flare, Din's Fire pretty much explains itself.
:4corrinf: For Neris, just cause of the water effect and cause Corrin could hold that mermaid tail pose with 2 legs and not look overly weird.
:4palutena: For Seren, they've both got the goddess look goin on with the staff.
I don't know who'd then work for Sherbet cause none of the other girls have ice powers or would fit that pose, but any one of the girls or a newcomer could cover that. Maybe Nana for her return?
Personally, I feel that Palutena should be Cordelia.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I imagined something simpler.

Lip simply holds her wand skywards happily as garbage blocks rain everywhere (and the other Smashers in the picture are Yoshi, Pikachu and Villager who are all trying to run away).

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I imagined something simpler.

Lip simply holds her wand skywards happily as garbage blocks rain everywhere (and the other Smashers in the picture are Yoshi, Pikachu and Villager who are all trying to run away).
Oh dear, is this something I'm gonna have to draw now? 'v';

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Something interesting to show:

Quite nice to see Lip having this kind of presence in Smash- fan communitities outside these forums. :4pacman:

Also that demake would be sweet to experience, especially with that kind of a roster...

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace

Quite nice to see Lip having this kind of presence in Smash- fan communitities outside these forums. :4pacman:

Also that demake would be sweet to experience, especially with that kind of a roster...
That was great. Agree too. More people becoming aware of Lip is always a plus.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

When people first started talking about a handheld Smash, this is what I was hoping for it to be.

PsychoJosh

Pixel art isn't as nice as it could be, but still a decent effort. Makes sense that Lip would be on the SNES Smash.

My dude Earthworm Jim would've been able to show up too if we're talking about what a Smash of that era would've been like...

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Wasn't Lip in the top 25 for Want ratings in RTC, as unlikely as she was voted? Maybe she's more popular in the Smash fandom than a lot of us give her credit for.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

So... I've heard that RelaxAlax isn't the type to risk his credibility all willy-nilly, but I guess take this with a grain of salt.

Blah-blah-blah....Eeeehhh....yeah, you all know the drill, I suppose.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
That SG "leak" with all the random semi-related pictures is seeming more likely now

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm gonna choose to stay doubtful. A lot of leaks that have been proven fake in the past have assumed that the roster for the next game will follow some kind of "theme", which it never does. There was a "Super Smash Bros. Universe" leak around the time the last game really started first getting talked about that claimed the theme would be "east vs. west", providing Takamaru and either Little Mac or Mike Jones as an example. The SG leak, or "leak", also follows a theme in the form of "heroes vs. villains". Even if it were believable, most of the villain selections I think are really not plausible as Smash characters outside of K. Rool and Ridley. For one, Porky would have to be in his spider mech, and if Ridley's too big, then that mech in both its forms is definitely too big.

(Also... look, I just really, really, really don't want Sora in Smash Bros., OK? Not even because I don't like him.)

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Quite nice to see Lip having this kind of presence in Smash- fan communities outside these forums. :4pacman:

Hey, gang. Considering how it's a near-guarantee that if Lip comes to Smash, she'll be unlockable, how do you all think she'll be unlocked?

I'm gonna choose to stay doubtful. A lot of leaks that have been proven fake in the past have assumed that the roster for the next game will follow some kind of "theme", which it never does. There was a "Super Smash Bros. Universe" leak around the time the last game really started first getting talked about that claimed the theme would be "east vs. west", providing Takamaru and either Little Mac or Mike Jones as an example. The SG leak, or "leak", also follows a theme in the form of "heroes vs. villains". Even if it were believable, most of the villain selections I think are really not plausible as Smash characters outside of K. Rool and Ridley. For one, Porky would have to be in his spider mech, and if Ridley's too big, then that mech in both its forms is definitely too big.

(Also... look, I just really, really, really don't want Sora in Smash Bros., OK? Not even because I don't like him.)
Yeah, I get what you mean.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's very likely Alax is talking out of his bottom, especially since he's said he doesn't make videos on fake leaks when asked about that tweet. After all, how could he predict characters on a roster he doesn't know anything about?

Take all claimed leakers with a grain of salt. Not everyone is going to be Gematsu or NinkaKiwi, statistically.

What leak are we talking about? It seems I’m always out of the loop with leaks.
It was an anonymous Reddit account that posted a series of vague, seemingly unrelated screenshots, claiming they were hints towards the newcomers in SSB5. From what people were able to figure out, the Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Snake (Snake is on every leak out there, I swear it's wish fulfillment of the highest degree) will allegedly return as veterans, and the Chorus Kids, Dixie Kong, K. Rool, Ridley, Porky, Samurai Goroh, Mimikyu, Medusa, Elma, Takamaru, Simon Belmont, Geno & Mallow (fighting as a tag team), and Sora will join as newcomers. I don't buy it for several reasons, among them being that only four new franchises are being represented. Seems a bit low, and possibly implies that whoever this guy is thinks Nintendo still views Smash as an advertising platform.

This is a bit petty, maybe, but I'm honestly starting to get really burnt out on Takamaru from how many leaks he's in. Speaking only for myself, we don't need more handsome, realistically proportioned anime humans after the last game was flooded with them. How about a cartoonishly proportioned anime fairy, instead? Nintendo can't ignore her forever and neither should you.

Hey, gang. Considering how it's a near-guarantee that if Lip comes to Smash, she'll be unlockable, how do you all think she'll be unlocked?
Depends on what modes would be in that game, it could really be anything. I probably wouldn't make it related to Cruel Smash though. Obviously you'd be able to unlock her via a certain amount of VS. matches, but as for other modes, maybe beating Classic mode with Yoshi on a certain intensity? 5.0 or above maybe.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I don't really like unlocking characters, especially not the way Smash does them. I'd like this feature to be removed.

It just seems really arbitrary to lock a character in a fighting game in this day and age. Just for the sake of adding a few more seconds on the character's eventual reveal/leak to the public. This isn't the days of Melee where you could say "I unlocked this dude from those old game and watch things from the 80s" and people wouldn't believe you until you showed them.

I think unlockables these days should be purely cosmetic or "bonus" content rather than essential game content like characters. It's hard to label characters as bonuses anymore.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I think unlocking content in fighting games are some of the coolest things. I'm sad that more games shines away from this. Because, it gives me more reason to play. What would be my drive if this was gone? I would be more bored with the game quicker. And the fact that there are different ways of unlocking things in Smash makes it even more fun!

For Lip's unlocking methods;

- Play 300 Matches.
- Use Lip's Stick 5 000 times.
- Defeat Event Match; "Nr. ??? Something Something" on Hard Difficulity.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think unlocking content in fighting games are some of the coolest things. I'm sad that more games shines away from this. Because it gives me more reason to play. What would be my drive if this was gone? I would be more bored with the game quicker. And the fact that there are different ways of unlocking things in Smash makes it even more fun!
Yeah, this pretty much sums up me and part of the enjoyment I find in Smash even today. As much as I love Smash, if THAT feature was removed from the series, I'd be done (as in, I'd be legit bored) with a Smash game faster than I probably ever thought possible, and that's not a feeling I want to experience with Smash anytime soon.

For Lip's unlocking methods;

- Play 300 Matches.
- Use Lip's Stick 5 000 times.
- Defeat Event Match; "Nr. ??? Something Something" on Hard Difficulty.
Interesting methods there! Especially that one about using Lip's Stick a number of times!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Just something I drew to amuse myself. I always thought these two would make a cute couple.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
do you guys know about this persons channel? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh-GplrhH_60BahQ2uV4HRw
He's been making a lot of his own panel de pon fan content, which is pretty spiffy, to say the lest.

With E3 coming around the corner, my hype for Smash 5 is starting to finally catch up to me, and with it, more hopes that our girl will make it in. I wont be letting my hopes up, but I will be pretty darn excited if it does happen~

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I think unlocking content in fighting games are some of the coolest things. I'm sad that more games shines away from this. Because, it gives me more reason to play. What would be my drive if this was gone? I would be more bored with the game quicker.
Your drive would be to get good at the game and be able to beat everyone else in competitive play, which is an endless pursuit that constantly changes and keeps you playing forever. That's the main draw of any fighting game. It offers something that no other game genre can, which is why people are still playing For Glory online years after the game came out, because it's a constant challenge to be the best and the meta is constantly changing. Combat strategies and matchups are constantly being figured out, not just on a player level but on a community level (which is known as the meta).

I get that single player content is necessary for more casual players but locking characters just seems arbitrary and pointless. I propose a compromise where you only need to unlock characters to use them in the SINGLE player modes - in multiplayer (and training) they're all unlocked from the moment you start the game for the first time.

Just something I drew to amuse myself. I always thought these two would make a cute couple.
Wonderful! You really have a knack for appealing colors. Looks almost like a scene from the SNES.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Wonderful! You really have a knack for appealing colors. Looks almost like a scene from the SNES.
Actually, I just used the NES palette. When you're not bound by technical limitations, it's very possible to put out something that looks (more or less) modern and appealing with those colors. I'm glad you like it, though!

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Saw this on Reddit by ConnorRentz

This fanbase is strong

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I'm really hoping the recent leaks are false or at the very least inaccurate. There's no point in a roster full of long-time requested characters like King K. Rool, Ridley, Takamaru, and Geno/Mallow if our girl Lip isn't among them too. She's been requested for quite a while as well. Also, if the list is completely accurate, the reveals along the road to this game's release will be really boring.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
A lot of the characters in that leak seem like "safe" picks--popular characters that other alleged leaks have hinted we're getting, like K. Rool, Ridley, and Takamaru. It's honestly baffling to me that anyone would view Taka as such a shoe-in because of one comment Sakurai made about considering him for SSB4. I'm not saying he hasn't changed his mind (he does that all the time...remember when SSB64 was going to be the last game in the series he worked on? Then Melee? Then Brawl? Then SSB4?), but come on.

Even if it weren't full of safe options...why only one retro character? Every other game after the original has had at least two, and a strong point could be made that Smash 4 has three. Why are Geno and Mallow one fighter when fighting as a tag team is something you never do in Super Mario RPG? Why Samurai Goroh or Porky instead of any number of more popular characters from the F-Zero and Mother series? How would Porky even work when his mech is so gigantic he was a full-fledged boss in Brawl (even if you scaled Porky down to around Ness's size and brought the mech down to match, it'd still be almost as big as Ridley tends to be, and we all know the reason why Ridley isn't in Smash yet)? Why theme the roster now when you never have before, and why something as dull as heroes vs. villains? Why is Mimikyu there at all? So many questions, and so little that adds up.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Wow ... Relax here.

Don't mess with my Samurai Goroh. He is the absolute best choice for a new F-Zero character. He has impact in Smash, both by history and theme. By history he has been in Melee's cinematic opening. He was the first Assist Trophy shown in both Brawl and Smash 4. By theme, he is the true rival to Captain Falcon, and has been in more games than Black Shadow for example. Next to Captain Falcon, Samurai Goroh, Pico and Dr. Stewart is considerable the most important characters.

Also, think of how different he will be in terms of concept. The first character using a katana, he would also be considered a hevyweight, same as Ike, plus he could pull from Sumo Moves.

Why would Black Shadow be better? To dump Ganondorf's moveset onto him? Worst idea.

Now, I know this is not Lip talk, but neither was yours, and I might sound a bit deffensive, but I'm getting a bit tired of people trashing Goroh, which is my favourite F-Zero Pilot, and one of my most wanted characters for Smash, period. (sorry if it sounded deffensive)

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The only thing that really bums me about that leak is the third party selections and the fact that Geno and Mallow is supposed to be a team. That's a really lame idea.

PsychoJosh

The Lip model will still be a while yet. We had to fix the topology of her face and now we need to render some texture maps for her clothes.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Specifically, they had to touch up how her mouth opens so it wouldn't make her face look two-dimensional.

Now, I know this is not Lip talk, but neither was yours, and I might sound a bit deffensive, but I'm getting a bit tired of people trashing Goroh, which is my favourite F-Zero Pilot, and one of my most wanted characters for Smash, period. (sorry if it sounded deffensive)
I'd do exactly the same thing if anyone trashed Lippy. Don't worry!

The only thing that really bums me about that leak is the third party selections and the fact that Geno and Mallow is supposed to be a team. That's a really lame idea.
For me, it's these, and the fact that instead of representing wholly new franchises it focuses mostly on fleshing out existing ones. In my opinion, that's not the direction Smash Bros. should be taking. Fortunately, it's a leak of dubious veracity, so for all we know it could be complete nonsense.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Always thought it'd be cool if they remade 64 with the intended characters for the original game plus a few extras.
I wouldn't be against it. Capcom remakes early Street Fighters all the time, and have added characters later on, I don't see why Nintendo can't do the same.

Speaking of, I just bought the 30th anniversary edition, which includes 12 different SF iterations. Would be cool if Smash would do the same for it's 20th anniversary. Includes 64, Melee, Brawl (and PM), maybe even 4 with some additional content for each.

Top Bottom