• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Egg-Cellent Dinosaurl! Yoshi in Smash Ultimate Thread!

Will Yoshi recive substantial changes in Smash Switch?

• Yes!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No...

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
It may depend on the tone of the game. It seems more difficult than Wooly World was (possible Mellow Mode notwithstanding), and don't forget Topsy Turvy and DS had adult Bowser as the villain.
Well Kirby can keep it's casual, cute tone while using a variety of villains, so why not Yoshi?

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
What if they'd bring Boshi in to be the final boss this time? ;) Maybe if they'll do that, he'll become used more throughout games as well like Wario and Waluigi have been. And heck, dare I say it, maybe even get a semi-unique moveset in Smash?

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
As I already said in the General discussion thread, I'm still going to be cautious about being excited for this. Even if supposedly 100% true, I just don't want to be disappointed in the off-chance this isn't true after all. But if it is true, then HECK YES Yoshi is finally getting some much-needed love!! :yoshi:

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Jujube Yoshi ayy, hope we get white Yoshi though. And more colors other than just red blue lighter blue purple yellow green black and pink.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Somebody showed me this. https://ssbworld.com/blog/268/everything-we-know-about-yoshi-in-ultimate-so-far

I don't know how reliable this is (as they also don't make a mention of Yoshi's forward tilt which HAS been seen), but from the sound of it, if this is all correct then Yoshi should be pretty darn good this time around. Of course that's all coming from beta footage as anything is still subject to change, but I like what's there.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Somebody showed me this. https://ssbworld.com/blog/268/everything-we-know-about-yoshi-in-ultimate-so-far

I don't know how reliable this is (as they also don't make a mention of Yoshi's forward tilt which HAS been seen), but from the sound of it, if this is all correct then Yoshi should be pretty darn good this time around. Of course that's all coming from beta footage as anything is still subject to change, but I like what's there.
It says that his grabs will no longer have grounded grab release but...... that was true in Smash 4 as well. Yoshi and Wii Fit Trainer forced air grab release...

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I hope that the Crafted World alt isn't too difficult to pick out in the heat of battle.

I wonder if Yoshi will get a stage based on Crafted World.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I'd be happy even if they just wanted to save Plush Yoshi's reveal to coincide with the return of the Woolly World stage. I'd love a new stage of course but I'd be perfectly fine tying this alternate's official reveal to that instead.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Laziness and kinda forgot, but since my old discord thread was removed (no threads allowed but posts are fine) gonna drop a link here. Not gonna be common, maybe once every few months up till Ultimate.

https://discord.gg/ztg6VuJ
For the Ultimate Yoshi server if some in here haven't joined. SB has more activity than in here, but hopefully both can be active if Yoshi ever gets shown along with the other half of the cast lol

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah I watched this yesterday! It's good stuff, though I hope from here on out I'll be able to avoid watching anything about this game. I want to experience most of the game on my own, and they did show a good bunch of stuff for Woolly World prior to its release which did ruin the experience just a little bit for me (though it still ended up being one of my favourite games of all time).

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I asked for a GBA for Christmas specifically because of that commercial. I was a PlayStation kid prior to it...
You were a PlayStation kid? I wonder if you've played Croc then. Which, as you may or may not know, was a Yoshi game in early stages of development (which Nintendo shot down, hence why it's not Yoshi and why it wasn't on Nintendo 64). And I wonder if this might have something to do with your current status as a Yoshi fan... :p

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
You were a PlayStation kid? I wonder if you've played Croc then. Which, as you may or may not know, was a Yoshi game in early stages of development (which Nintendo shot down, hence why it's not Yoshi and why it wasn't on Nintendo 64). And I wonder if this might have something to do with your current status as a Yoshi fan... :p
I vaguely remember Croco at the time, but I never played it at the time. It probably goes FURTHER back when I was a toddler and watched my sister play SMW and wondered what the green thing was :yoshi:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
It'll be a while before that though. The Switch will run a long while if its current succes is anything to go by, and there probably won't be a second Smash on Switch. It's a taaaaaad early to talk about the next installment. But hey, good luck with that next time around then, whenever that will be! I believe in you Zinith! :yoshi:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Running a thread isn't anything special, especially for a social. Also I don't expect another smash for a good long while. Possibly even the last one with how much is in put into this game compared to brawl which everyone thought was the biggest one. Smash 4 was only big in roster.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I feel like I will run the Yoshi Thread for the next Smash after this one. I have a hunch... :yoshi:
If the staff think that you're well-behaved and responsible enough to handle the job, then perhaps you might get the moderator position some day. But it's not a position to take lightly, however.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Even when the Yoshi boards were active (circa Brawl days), there weren't really any problems. Maybe a couple bad cases (our one and only King, for instance).

But yeah dead boards are super easy to mod. :colorful:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I just had a random thought. The change in airdodging makes Yoshi's double-jump armor matter more again. :yoshi:

I wonder how strong it'll be this time. It's always been able to sustain 120 units of knockback, but Smash 64 and Melee made it a good bit more powerful by just applying the calculated difference of knockback to Yoshi, while Brawl and Smash 4 just applied the full knockback to Yoshi in case the knockback overrode those 120 units. This change was most likely to done compensate for Yoshi's new Egg Toss hopping mechanic introduced back in Brawl. I'd still very much like it if Yoshi gained back the ability to get the Smash 64/Melee variant back though, it's not like this would suddenly make him too strong I don't think. It would make him better, but not overpowered. ...it's probably gonna (roughly) stay the same as Smash 4 though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The problem with using knockback resistance over knockback-based heavy armor for the mid-air jump is the fact that taking a good amount of vertical knockback can actually help Yoshi's recovery if he hasn't used up Egg Throw's recovery properties yet. You do still need to be aware of the blast zones though.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
The problem with using knockback resistance over knockback-based heavy armor for the mid-air jump is the fact that taking a good amount of vertical knockback can actually help Yoshi's recovery if he hasn't used up Egg Throw's recovery properties yet. You do still need to be aware of the blast zones though.
I mean, more often than not, when off-stage, opponents will likely try to keep you as horizontally away from the stage as possible, preferably as low as possible too, rather than vertically, at which point Smash 64/Melee-like double jump armor would be highly preferable. You could argue rescuing teammates but there'd certainly be ways around that too, like just waiting for the double jump to be over, and for the most part I was talking about 1v1 matches. Or am I missing something?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I mean, more often than not, when off-stage, opponents will likely try to keep you as horizontally away from the stage as possible, preferably as low as possible too, rather than vertically, at which point Smash 64/Melee-like double jump armor would be highly preferable. You could argue rescuing teammates but there'd certainly be ways around that too, like just waiting for the double jump to be over, and for the most part I was talking about 1v1 matches. Or am I missing something?
Very few moves hit pure horizontally/down, especially with DI. With the heavy armor, any time your jump gets broken you can basically just hold up and still have plenty of time to drift back to the stage. With resistance, there are TONS of moves that, once they barely break you, just kind of make you fall straight down and die.

The armor seems mostly better than the resistance to me, barring some weird uses like still being able to tank things with DJ and retaliate when the resistance isn't being broken strong enough.

Top Bottom