• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Egg-Cellent Dinosaurl! Yoshi in Smash Ultimate Thread!

Will Yoshi recive substantial changes in Smash Switch?

• Yes!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No...

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
My God what a ****y week it's been for Yoshi
I actually agree that the E3 Presentation was not kind to Yoshi. Man... Yoshi was just enjoying himself racing horses, fishing, driving lethal tanks, rolling dice, playing baseball when suddenly the paparazzi snaps a photo of Mario socking Yoshi in the face! This man got 3 points for hittin our bro while Wario laughed and Luigi snickered in the background. Why is he getting beat up outside of Smash?
Noooo.jpg

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I'm glad his eggs bounce now, and that he has a new model. I think Yoshi had genuinely one of if not the worst looking character model in Sm4sh, but now it looks pretty fine.

PF9

Smash Lord
If we get a story mode and Birdo as a fighter here's a scene I had in mind.

Yoshi and Birdo walk into a field, where they encounter a sleeping Pichu. Yoshi knows that he is good with babies, so he picks up the baby mouse and puts him on his saddle.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
You know how much the folks at Nintendo care about Yoshi?

They gave him the worst character dice in Super Mario Party...

A game where everyone is supposed to be on equal terms

:facepalm:
I went and dug through the game demo videos to see how true this was. The expected value on his personal die is worse than the expected value on the standard die...

Feels bad man.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I went and dug through the game demo videos to see how true this was. The expected value on his personal die is worse than the expected value on the standard die...

Feels bad man.
I think he's the only character revealed so far that has less than the standard.

I hope they change it in the final game. That's unacceptable!! Imagine if they did that to Bowser or Rosalina. Their fans would throw fits and Nintendo would reverse it the next day. But since it's Yoshi...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Is there something that I'm missing here? If you're close enough to get a star, then a dice block that only rolls small numbers may be a good thing to have, assuming that you have to stop AT the star space to earn a star.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Is there something that I'm missing here? If you're close enough to get a star, then a dice block that only rolls small numbers may be a good thing to have, assuming that you have to stop AT the star space to earn a star.
The problem with Yoshi's dice is that it has a "0" entry without the reward big enough to justify it. Bowser has the chance to not only lose a turn but to lose coins, but the reward is great. Even Shy Guy at least has more of a chance to move a greater distance than him. Yoshi's is similar to Mario (in other words the "average" character), but Mario does not have a risk of losing a turn for such low returns...

Maybe if they replaced the "1" with another "3"

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The problem with Yoshi's dice is that it has a "0" entry without the reward big enough to justify it. Bowser has the chance to not only lose a turn but to lose coins, but the reward is great. Even Shy Guy at least has more of a chance to move a greater distance than him. Yoshi's is similar to Mario (in other words the "average" character), but Mario does not have a risk of losing a turn for such low returns...
Losing a turn AND losing coins sounds like a worse penalty than simply losing a turn. But I guess there's a bigger picture that has yet to be figured out.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I don't think landing on the star space has ever been a requirement. In general, going further is better in Mario Party.

The expected value for Yoshi's die is ~3.17.

The expected value of the standard die is 3.5.

So even for the cases where you want to move a small amount of spaces, you're not really consistently moving fewer spaces than you would if you were just rolling the standard die block. But now, for the benefit of having a slightly higher chance of moving 3 spaces, you get to maybe lose your turn!

Basically you'd almost never want to use Yoshi's die block.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Basically you'd almost never want to use Yoshi's die block.
If Yoshi ends up receiving an effect that costs him coins for each time he moves, it could probably come in handy; by moving no spaces at all, you pretty much avoid that penalty, but you probably won't get any closer to the star. At the same time, however, losing coins could cost Yoshi if the match is close, and the last turn is coming.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Can someone link to all this Super Mario Party hubbub over dice, what have they done to make that unfun somehow.
I haven't played or paid attention to a Mario Party since 8 was on the Wii. (motion controls basically)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Can someone link to all this Super Mario Party hubbub over dice, what have they done to make that unfun somehow.
I haven't played or paid attention to a Mario Party since 8 was on the Wii. (motion controls basically)
I was unable to find any convenient resource with the information. Basically, characters can choose to roll a "personal die" instead of a standard d6. Personal dice have various effects that slant the odds. Shy Guy has a bunch of 4s and 0s, for example. Some characters (Koopa Troopa, for instance) have personal dice with very low numbers, which can be used to consistently land on a spot nearby.

Basically, they all allow you to take on some strategy with a character. I think it's a great idea! Yoshi's die just sucks.

If Yoshi ends up receiving an effect that costs him coins for each time he moves, it could probably come in handy; by moving no spaces at all, you pretty much avoid that penalty, but you probably won't get any closer to the star. At the same time, however, losing coins could cost Yoshi if the match is close, and the last turn is coming.
Pretty niche, but I guessssssssssssssssssss.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yoshi's die sucks? I'm not too surprised cause ninty just seems to hate Yoshi.
Even the new game that's coming out this year, Yoshi, wasn't at E3 at all.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Hey, guys, I did my Smash Ultimate Pick 5 thingy that everyone is doing. What are your picks looking like? Red are the characters that I'm most interested in playing, and Green is the character I am going to main.
1529320196111.jpg

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I had an interesting and very wishfulfilly thought. You know the Dodge Stailing mechanic, where you get punished for excessively dodging? Well since Yoshi rolls in an egg, what if his starting dodge speed is still super slow but doesn't get punished as hard as the rest of the roster?

I can dream...

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
You want to dodge sparingly anyways. Given what we know of grounded movement, you're much better off using dashes to weave between attacks and to adjust your spacing.

Don't dream for mediocre crutches. Dream of amazing things. Like a crazy good dash and run speed.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yoshi's shield isn't gonna actually be Marth counter. New perfect shields is basically a parry while Yoshi is in the devs labs for (hopefully but prolly not) some bigger than average changes where he might have melee like shield in terms of actual an actual parry to hopefully never show himself being in shield.

Since Yoshi in the trailer was spamming shield in his 20 second vid but it never showed the egg confetti cause it also never showed the egg itself appearing compared to every other smash game. Could be possible hints of melee esque shield but just a wild guess as we wait another 5 months for Smash ultimate.

As an aside, does anyone else hate that people are calling Smash 5/ultimate SmUsh? Plz don't make this a trend people, gives me smurfs or the word smushed feels which just feels slimy af.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yoshi's shield isn't gonna actually be Marth counter. New perfect shields is basically a parry while Yoshi is in the devs labs for (hopefully but prolly not) some bigger than average changes where he might have melee like shield in terms of actual an actual parry to hopefully never show himself being in shield.

Since Yoshi in the trailer was spamming shield in his 20 second vid but it never showed the egg confetti cause it also never showed the egg itself appearing compared to every other smash game. Could be possible hints of melee esque shield but just a wild guess as we wait another 5 months for Smash ultimate.

As an aside, does anyone else hate that people are calling Smash 5/ultimate SmUsh? Plz don't make this a trend people, gives me smurfs or the word smushed feels which just feels slimy af.
Hopefully more Yoshi info comes sooner...

Also, I'm only really seeing that "SmUsh" label on GameFaqs.... which doesn't surprise me honestly

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
One annoying thing I've noticed about the wait for more Yoshi news is the insistence that he'll be just the same from Smash 4. That's honestly not fair to him at this point (that seems to be the running theme for Yoshi: unfairness). He hasn't been fully shown off yet, and though I understand tempered expectations, I don't understand why it's just assumed that he won't change all that much.

The fact that he's the only one of the original 8 who was not in the E3 build should at least raise a few eyebrows. Even if you're one that doesn't buy into the rumors about working on his parry, you should at least expect some significant changes to match up with the new mechanics of the game. An overhaul is not an alien concept to Yoshi, it's been done to him before.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
One annoying thing I've noticed about the wait for more Yoshi news is the insistence that he'll be just the same from Smash 4. That's honestly not fair to him at this point (that seems to be the running theme for Yoshi: unfairness). He hasn't been fully shown off yet, and though I understand tempered expectations, I don't understand why it's just assumed that he won't change all that much.

The fact that he's the only one of the original 8 who was not in the E3 build should at least raise a few eyebrows. Even if you're one that doesn't buy into the rumors about working on his parry, you should at least expect some significant changes to match up with the new mechanics of the game. An overhaul is not an alien concept to Yoshi, it's been done to him before.
What exactly do you want? I don't hate the idea of Yoshi getting some changes, but he's also one of the few characters I'm not actually asking to get any for.

We already saw that he got some changes to his egg throw.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
What exactly do you want? I don't hate the idea of Yoshi getting some changes, but he's also one of the few characters I'm not actually asking to get any for.

We already saw that he got some changes to his egg throw.
I was talking about many of the conclusions players and commentators come to when combing through the very scant information we have on Yoshi. Everyone picks up on the egg bounce and just declares "oh, he's pretty much the same as before" and I'm saying you can't just do that at this point in time. The small act of giving his eggs a bounce could very well affect his neutral and that's not a small thing. I wasn't saying that he needed an overhaul (although things like more kill confirms, throws into combos and that gloriously coveted tether recovery would be nice), I'm saying that simply assuming he's not gonna get one is jumping the gun a bit.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I was talking about many of the conclusions players and commentators come to when combing through the very scant information we have on Yoshi. Everyone picks up on the egg bounce and just declares "oh, he's pretty much the same as before" and I'm saying you can't just do that at this point in time. The small act of giving his eggs a bounce could very well affect his neutral and that's not a small thing. I wasn't saying that he needed an overhaul (although things like more kill confirms, throws into combos and that gloriously coveted tether recovery would be nice), I'm saying that simply assuming he's not gonna get one is jumping the gun a bit.
Giving the eggs a bounce (while it doesn't make sense to me) is probably gonna be big for Yoshi. The egg bounce should force a reaction and allow Yoshi to get in on opponents easier which is no small feat as it is.

Anyway I've seen quite a few weird changes across the board, so I wouldn't be surprised if he got a few more changes.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I didn't even know this but apparently the reason the switch game Yoshi™ wasn't at E3 or mentioned at all is because it got delayed till 2019.
Pray for Yoshi™

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
It's been delayed to 2019 but Bill Trinen (who gave the news in the first place) also said it's coming along "better than expected," which is something at least.

Also, he said more would be shown later in the year in a Direct, which is the most concrete info we have on the game to date

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
By another thread you mean people/new people making multiple ones.
Guess that makes sense but deleting entire threads already made seems weird.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
The policy is to lock and merge into the appropriate threads, I suspect that there was just a mass deletion for starters. But I don't actually have information on the reasoning for that. I can ask about it if you want.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
It was deleted. I can pull the OP from it and put it in here if you want. IIRC the link in the thread was only good for one day though, so I'm not sure anything there is necessary to keep.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I was changing the link/OP everyday or two but if you can c/p the text so I can see if it was important or not I could maybe just post it in here.

Top Bottom