• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Earth is flat?!

D

Deleted member

I was just reading through random Internet stuff and found something called The Flat Earth Society. They believe that the Earth is a disc. I'm sure that you have many problems with the theory, but I will address the main one, "What about the space missions and satelites?" The Flat Earth Society says that every space mission, every satelite picture is fake. First of all, why would every country on Earth want to hide the "truth"? Secondly, saying "It's fake" is not a legitimate argument! If I was a defense attorney, when my client was presented with evidence that made him look bad, could I just say "Its fake" and get him off? Thirdly, if the Earth is a disc, then why do we have seasons and sunlight in different areas (not to mention air travel)? These people are plain ignorant!

500 posts smash apprentice!!

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I wouldn't take them seriously. It's probably a troll site kind of like PokeRevolution or whichever site it was that attracted people that actually believed Pokemon existed.

Either way, don't waste your breath with people like that if they're gonna be ignorant.. (or trollish)

The furosious robot has left

Smash Journeyman
why don't they try themselves? grab a jet and test this! if you go strait and end up in the same country, the earth is round.

then again, they are probably scared they will "fall off"

D

Deleted member

I'm nearly positive it isn't a troll site, considering it was founded in 1956, before the Internet existed.

Mr.Bazerkus

Smash Journeyman
I remember my teacher saying the idea the earth is flat is a misconception
very few people even in the past thought the earth was flat. They knew it was round

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
The Flat Earth Society has been around for quite some time now, and they legitimately believe the Earth is flat.

Although this is nothing new, they never fail to entertain.

Smash Master
Willfully ignorant people piss me off more than anybody else. I don't expect you to read up on quantum mechanics or something, but can you at least try reading a book or an article once in your life.

If you want to be ignorant, keep your misguided opinions to yourself. You are not entitled to share them if you can't back them up.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
they probably also worship the flying spaghetti monster. All you have to do is show them a tall sail boat sailing over the horizon. In fact, you don't have to show them anything, you just ignore them

Niiro

Smash Ace
Holy crap, I'm reading sphereland and flatland right now. This is so weird. The earth is not flat though.
/random spam

D

Deleted member

What I don't get is, why go through all this trouble? Just to piss off 7 billion people?

MBreeto

Smash Ace
What I don't get is, why go through all this trouble? Just to piss off 7 billion people?
yes, and probably just because they can. Scientologists believe in whatever it is exactly they believe in because they can. Or they're a brilliant community of trolls o.o

paledragon64

Smash Cadet
DOING IT FOR TEH LULZ

Once again, picture in your mind a round world. Now imagine that there are two people on this world, one at each pole. For the person at the top of the world, (the North Pole), gravity is pulling him down, towards the South Pole. But for the person at the South Pole, shouldn't gravity pull him down as well? What keeps our person at the South Pole from falling completely off the face of the "globe"?
I laughed SO HARD...this is just silliness. :laugh:

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Just to be the advocate of the Devil.

Why wouldn't the leaders of countries say they have the power when they haven't? It is a display of power, and a proclamation of world superpower. If a few countries were in on it, nothing pronounces dominance then being able to travel where another country doesn't have the access to.

paledragon64

Smash Cadet
Clearly gravity only works in the "down" direction.
If you examine the universe in its entirety, you will notice that it is shaped like a bowl, and all of the planets are slowly moving down towards the bowl's lowest point. Eventually they all squash together and explode, creating a big bang that restarts the game, and then you have to watch the intro all over again.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
In the Efimovich model, the planet Earth is supposed to be a large, spherical shaped ball of rock flying through space at hundreds of thousands of miles per hour. But how could the Earth continue to move at the same speed for as long a time as the "round Earthers" say that it has existed for; namely, several billion years. If outer space were a vacuum, then there would be no problem. But space is not a vacuum, it is instead filled with ether. The earth would have to have been pushing its way through the ether for all those billions of years. Shouldn't it have slowed somewhere along the line? What would keep the Earth from grinding down to a stop at some point on the Efimovichian timeline?

Sounds really compelling. Everybody knows space is filled with ether.

@Paledragon: our universe is expanding right now, not collapsing. That'd be a bad thing.

paledragon64

Smash Cadet
In the Efimovich model, the planet Earth is supposed to be a large, spherical shaped ball of rock flying through space at hundreds of thousands of miles per hour. But how could the Earth continue to move at the same speed for as long a time as the "round Earthers" say that it has existed for; namely, several billion years. If outer space were a vacuum, then there would be no problem. But space is not a vacuum, it is instead filled with ether. The earth would have to have been pushing its way through the ether for all those billions of years. Shouldn't it have slowed somewhere along the line? What would keep the Earth from grinding down to a stop at some point on the Efimovichian timeline?

@Paledragon: our universe is expanding right now, not collapsing. That'd be a bad thing.
I'm sure you believe all the other lies the scientists are telling you, too! ololololololololololololololololol

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Has no one played final fantasy or tales of _______? They PROVE that the earth is flat! What happens when you reach the end of the world? You just appear on the other side of the world, duh! You don't need a round planet for that.
/obvious

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
It started out a serious organization, but now the website is predominantly just guys who aren't trolling, but are testing how good they can debate

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

No, no you're utterly wrong.

Space is filled with Great Aether

chuckyj100

Smash Apprentice
wow so if i go to sarah palin's house i will fall in space awesome that is my next experiment lol

Smudge

Smash Lord
I found that website once, It made me lol so hard I dare not go back incase I explode from laughter.

I've never seen so many narrow minded idiot on one site, it was classic.

D

Deleted member

wow so if i go to sarah palin's house i will fall in space awesome that is my next experiment lol
Maybe while you're falling you can get a nice look at Russia
Why did you bump this back up?

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
Have these kiddos seriously not flown on a plane? Do they not wonder how they can travel across the Pacific and Atlantic without falling off? Do they seriously ignore that going East or West will put you back in the same place?

By now, I'm honestly thinking they're putting on a show.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
IMO I think that the Earth has some flat lands in it, which fuse together to give a ball-like shape.

Top Bottom