• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Dojo: Revealing too much? (Debate)

Tanvis

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone, I've been watching this forum for a while and finally made an account. So, here's my first thread:

I have somewhat of a debate for all of you: Do you think the Dojo is telling us too much before the game comes out?

Here's a two basic sides of the argument that I have come up with to start:

Yes, we are learning way to much from the site's constant updates. While some of them are short and don't ruin much (items), other ones that detail characters and their moves feel like too much of a spoiler to me.

No, I'm not saying we are not finding out enough, but the info given to us on the site, for the most part, is incredibly simple. The two or three sentences about each detail do not go in depth as much as most of us here would know (for example knowing hit boxes and timings of moves, etc). This leaves much speculation to be had about anything told to us.

Feel free to elaborate on either of these answers to this question, or come up with one that is completely different. Have fun!

metroidmania

Smash Cadet
This is great great topic. I really think that so far, the Dojo is doing a great job of revealing things but keeping secrets.
BUT, they have until December 3rd and they're doing the "daily weekday update" thing, and it may only be a matter of time before they crack and tell us something a little extra, like too many revealed new characters or stages.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hate to rain on your post, but yes, there's lots of spoilers at the Dojo. Sakurai knows and has said, that as soon as the game's released anywhere, everyone is going to know who's in it and everything else, almost instantanious, and that he'd rather reveal everything himself. So if you want to avoid spoilers, avoid the Dojo.

Tanvis

Smash Cadet
Yes Metroidmania, I do believe that the time between now and then is a major issue with such frequent updates. But with news like "Recovery" and how to get back on the stage, they have plenty of old stuff to waste time with.

I have considered this Mic_128, but for most of us here, I assume, we've been checking the Dojo since it started updating and it is too late, we are addicted. Though, I do fear that supposed week early release in Japan...for I will try my hardest to not go to Youtube to have the most detailed of spoilers.

Jakatsu

Smash Apprentice
I like being spoiled, its kinda fun. Take for instance Ike, We know he's in, and we know he has two B moves...But he hasnt been spoiled. Say his Bup has that final up slice at the end, and it can be sweetspotted to cause high upwards Nockback. Thus his Bup could become a very good tactic. Thing is we arent going to know everything, and we wont know alot untill the 3rd. I'm sure Sakurai might even keep one character secret, just to "Teh MiNdGaMeS" us...

Dr Mario Kart

Smash Apprentice
Hardly. Given the total number of updates left before the game launches, and that there is really only one major update per week, it amounts to being just the tip of the iceberg.

Lots of updates get used on items or music or some other filler. The whole thing is just an elaborate **** teasing.

Revak

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why people care about being spoiled on this game. This isn't that type of game. Well at least it isn't for me. The only thing I don't want spoiled is the story mode. Other then that feel free to tell me anything.

Blackadder

Smash Master
They are spoilers, but really, if you don'tlike them, don't visit the DOJO!!
Pretty...simple really.

Jakatsu

Smash Apprentice
Actually Blackadder, I could avoid the Dojo all I want, but when I come here and notice any one of the three Brawl rooms recent posts, its all been in vain. Notice that we have 3 rooms with muitlple Red topics. Its no use, unless...
Quick everyone who wants to be surprised, hide under your covers untill the 3rd!

burrito

Smash Lord
As I have said earlier:

Well, I assume it will work the same as the melee blog. After the game was released in Japan, Sakurai went on to reveal the unlockable characters on his blog. As soon as Smash Bros. come out in Japan, I'm going to try to avoid the internet as much as possible. I don't want any of the unlockable characters spoiled for me.
I believe that everything shown on the website so far will be unlocked from the start. So, it really shouldn't start spoiling the game for you until it's out in Japan.

JPW

Smash Ace
if you don't want spoilers then I would suggest staying away from anything Smash Bros. The website, the forums, the news articles.
It may be hard not talking about Smash Bros. with others but it's the way you got to go unless you don't want some huge spoilers.

There has been some juicy spoilers lately. And I actually applaud the spoilers, because I was getting sick of How to play techniques and music updates, and stuff we already knew a year before. Give us something new.

I would of preferred revealing newcomers however in a trailer though. but hey this is cool and at least he gives us a warning.

Besides people were actually complaining that we weren't seeing anything new at the site, now he's given us something new..... oh and look people are complaining saying "it's too much".

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
Hate to rain on your post, but yes, there's lots of spoilers at the Dojo. Sakurai knows and has said, that as soon as the game's released anywhere, everyone is going to know who's in it and everything else, almost instantanious, and that he'd rather reveal everything himself. So if you want to avoid spoilers, avoid the Dojo.
this makes me feel kinda good, cuz that means if sonic is in, sakurai will tell us. he'll probably wait until like, the last week to reveal him...peace

-hiroshi

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Deja vu? I could have sworn I've seen this same exact thread before.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
After seeing the announcement of Pokemon Trainer joining the Brawl roster (and after reading about his play style) I'm confident that Sakurai has much in store for us, probably too much to spoil everything in a mere 17 weeks (until US release). For maximum shock, resolve yourself to avoid the Dojo. For the rest of us, there will still be plenty of shock to go around.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
These people seriously need a non-spoiler forum where they can speculate about characters that were revealed to the rest of us a long time ago. It still boggles my mind how anyone who even remotely dislikes spoilers would even venture into a forum dedicated to Super Smash Bros. games (especially into the Brawl-specific rooms). It is hard to resist, isn't it? Life is much easier when you just accept spoilers. ;)

Seriously, this is a fighting game. Frankly, the DOJO gives me the same rush that Melee's hidden characters gave me back in 2002. In other words, it is not that big of a deal. I feel more excitement from winning an intense match in a competitive environment. Therefore, in order to win sooner, I need to unlock all the characters ASAP so I can start practicing with them all.

If you don't like the ruined surprises then exercise some self-control. Stop blaming the DOJO, Smashboards, or anything else for your failure to abstain.

komickid

Smash Apprentice
Personally i think that he should only give us information on new characters that are ones that arent unlockable... all unlockable ones should be kept secret.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I made a thread about how I didn't like spoilers, but then I came to my senses and realized that I'm going to visit The Dojo EVERYDAY as well as SWF, so there's no avoiding it. Also, Sakurai can't POSSIBLY reveal every single thing about the game, so there'll be plenty of spoilers. And at the end of a match, when it says "Character Approaching" , even if it IS Ike or Pokemon Trainer, I'll still wet myself.
Good job Sakurai =] .

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Personally i think that he should only give us information on new characters that are ones that arent unlockable... all unlockable ones should be kept secret.
Yet, we are not entirely sure that is even the case. So, what are you going to do about it?

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
I actually want to know the characters who are in it. the so called spoilers, aren't spoilers to me, it's just teasing us in my opinion. We're all sure the fan fictioneers [ lol ] who make the whack posts of who should be in brawl, INCREASING THEIR POST COUNT IF I MAY ADD, try so hard to find out if sonic is confirmed. There's a whole nuch of hypocrites i believe here, they wanna know, but they say they don't. they're going to be online. The forums and the dojo are prolly top on their mind. They WANT to know.

These aren't spoilers ffs. It's just a tease because sakurai has been keeping a tight lid on this. He won't release much info anywhere else.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I prefer to know whether or not the secret character roster will be awful so I can know whether or not I should look forward to unlocking it.

If it's awful, like it was in Melee, then I'd prefer to know beforehand so I don't have to be disappointed on launch day.

Melee's was a crushing disappointment for me: Ganondorf was a clone, Dr. Mario an awful game, Mewtwo was alright but the two Japan-only characters were a kick in the teeth for all of us who had never heard of them.

Takalth

Smash Ace
Prediction: The next three new character updates will each spawn one of these discussions.

Now, on the other side, people really need to quit posting "Just stay away from Smashbros and Smashboards," because that isn't even close to sufficient.

The correct solution to not getting spoiled is "Stay away from the Internet, and avoid anyone who plays Smash." New character announcements spawn so many news stories and blog comments, that isn't really an option for people.

That being said, I want to know as much as I can in advance and might just copy over somebody's memory card.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Now, on the other side, people really need to quit posting "Just stay away from Smashbros and Smashboards," because that isn't even close to sufficient.
Well, sadly the only other option is to get over it. I bet it is only a matter of time before someone starts a petition for the DOJO to be taken down. >_<

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Well, sadly the only other option is to get over it. I bet it is only a matter of time before someone starts a petition for the DOJO to be taken down. >_<
That is sad, because Sakurai is giving information to those who want it.

Kentalish

Smash Lord
i dont think so... cause i like to know about the game im playingv cause without the Dojo. im a person who likes that... cause its all about the multi player and characters...but if u wawnt to avoid spoilers... i wouldnt go on this site either

narmerguy

Smash Cadet
I think it's good for the people who can't wait. If you think it's too much, it's not as if it's being secretely revealed to you against your will. Just don't go to the site. But I can see where you're coming from.

goodkid

Smash Lord
Sakurai is just giving free money. If you want it, you can take it, and if you don't want it, you don't have to take it. He saves his money, by giving us item, music, and special moves updates. He spends it and gives it all on a new character.

metroidmania

Smash Cadet
Well I'm sure he's not revealing everything, I just think that he'd better keep some things secret.
For some, it's really not the kind of game that can even be spoiled, but for me, I'd rather not know too much so I can do it for myself and be surprised.
After all, until I get decent, I'm going to be playing by myself (since they're having a good one player mode), and save competitive for Melee.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
i think dojo is a great thing, ya there some spoilers but id rather hear about the game this way and get the facts then hear nothing but rumors from now till december plus we dont really get spoiled to much i mean alot of his post really leave us hangin and wanting more which is the whole point haha and u can bet we are only seeing a very smal amount of what will be in the game

Chaos Paladin

Smash Journeyman
i think there giving out a little too much but im greedy and have no self controle and cannot help but read the updates. i just hope he dosnt reveal secret charecters because that was my fav part of the game the weird "challenger approaching" parts at random times XD

Zink

Smash Champion
IMO worrying about spoilers in a fighting game is kinda silly. I mean, it's a fighting game! All I care about is playing. I'd certainly look up how to unlock everything, because the way I have fun with the game is trying out and playing everything.

Fire Fox X

Smash Apprentice
"The Dojo: Revealing to much?" Certainly not! There is probably so much more to this game, than we can even imagine. I doubt Sakurai will even have enough time to get most of it out on the web, before the release date of Brawl. It sure is strange though, that none of the clones have been revealed yet. I wonder why? Heh.

usea

Smash Ace
I don't believe what's on the dojo at least so far can be considered a spoiler. Can you spoil the first sentence of a book? What about its title, or how many pages it has? Do you consider the box art for a game to be a spoiler?

I've put some thought into it, and I believe that a spoiler has to be something which relies on context. Sure, it can be subjective and you can say that finding out on a website is not the same context as finding out 30 seconds after powering on the game. However, I'd put forth that that is irrational and absurd.

As for the original post, there is no such thing as too much information optionally available. If you don't want to know which characters are selectable for some insane reason, you don't have to go to the website. So it's pretty simple. :)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I really don't like Spoilers like endings and unlockable characters and such, but with Brawl I made an exception because i'm so into Bros, that it's just that irresistable to look at new content from a so desperatly game I want, especially that we weren't getting any updates from when it was first announced which made me more eager to find more about it

Top Bottom