• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "The Dog Show" - Duck Hunt Video Thread

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
https://youtu.be/9bnVMBhR464

I uploaded my battle against my brother! First I'd like to apologize for the camera quality, heh. Neither of us are all that great really (me coming off of online smashboards tournament Brawl experience + 3DS and him learning from me) but we're both eager to improve our game. During the first part of the match, my brother was testing out how his moves interacted with the can as he never fought DH with Mega Man before, but I didn't realize that until after the match when he told me. Had he did, I would've made turned the match into a button check and restart the battle but it all worked out well in the end.

I've watched the replay a couple times now to see what I'm doing wrong and I've noticed that I was a bit too nair happy when I was trying to hit the can near the end of the match and if I was facing a better player, I would've been punished extremely hard for that. I also didn't use the can to the best of my ability (as shown when I tried to do a running USmash on Mega Man's USmash when realistically, I should've B pressed the can twice to hit him) and I think I got lucky that I hit as many smashes as I did because honestly I shouldn't be using them that much.

All in all though, if you get any ideas for tips after watching the game, please tell me as I really want to improve. As I mentioned before in one of the threads, I've only had the Wii U version for a week, so there's still a lot of room to get better!

EDIT: I just watched your video right now @ DunnoBro DunnoBro and I'm amazed on how often you get the dair! Those poor Little Macs never saw it coming.

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Finally got my combo video together, was much easier than I thought it'd be. The song just naturally synched up pretty well on it's own, needed some slight tweaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUMoNB1ahh0
Your combo video is awesome and makes me sad both because It's not likely I'll get to use Zigzag can and also default pup is nowhere near viable enough to go hard.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Yo guys, thought I'd come here to ask for feedback on what I can do better. I don't come here all that often and haven't been here in awhile, but I am not new to Duck Hunt and I've been playing him since 3DS and poured quite a number of hours into playing him. Most of these matches from ANther's Ladder, but the Diddy match was with a friend of mine who's real good and used to be on my region's PR for season 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZLYDGTIHww:4diddy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiPmBFE8Tn0:4sonic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-jvPjec6Ig:4yoshi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zWisNCaNSY:4dk: (This guy switched to Toon Link afterwards, forfeited the match and ragequit, complaining that I'm "really boring", must've made him real salty :chuckle:)

Any feedback is appreciated, positive or negative (if it gets me meatier critique, negative is preferred). Sorry for crap quality, thank god youtube replay sharing comes this Friday.

Pyro-is-Magic

Smash Cadet
Yo guys, thought I'd come here to ask for feedback on what I can do better. I don't come here all that often and haven't been here in awhile, but I am not new to Duck Hunt and I've been playing him since 3DS and poured quite a number of hours into playing him. Most of these matches from ANther's Ladder, but the Diddy match was with a friend of mine who's real good and used to be on my region's PR for season 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZLYDGTIHww:4diddy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiPmBFE8Tn0:4sonic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-jvPjec6Ig:4yoshi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zWisNCaNSY:4dk: (This guy switched to Toon Link afterwards, forfeited the match and ragequit, complaining that I'm "really boring", must've made him real salty :chuckle:)

Any feedback is appreciated, positive or negative (if it gets me meatier critique, negative is preferred). Sorry for crap quality, thank god youtube replay sharing comes this Friday.

Your Duck Hunt is really Side B heavy. Camping with Duck Hunt is fine, but the order of projectiles should be more Gunmen, Can, and Pigeon last. Try to go for more grabs in your game to mix up your approach options. You were really passive on your follow-ups which drove opponents up to the high %s when you could have killed earlier.

To comment more on your skill level then your Duck Hunt, you showed a bad habit of being repetitive. Towards the later videos I could pretty much read every play you were making and against really good players that is going to get you killed. If you want to improve your gameplay then you really need to improve your mix-ups, or else you'll become a one-trick pony. Also you need to work on your reads and your techs, the lack of those basics is what really lost you that game against Yoshi.

In terms of improving your Duck Hunt, I would just say watch and learn from the Brood and MVD videos in this thread. They may not have incredible im depth character knowledge and insane optimized combos, but they do have very good fundementals, which is always good to improve.

Last edited:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
https://youtu.be/9bnVMBhR464

I uploaded my battle against my brother! First I'd like to apologize for the camera quality, heh. Neither of us are all that great really (me coming off of online smashboards tournament Brawl experience + 3DS and him learning from me) but we're both eager to improve our game. During the first part of the match, my brother was testing out how his moves interacted with the can as he never fought DH with Mega Man before, but I didn't realize that until after the match when he told me. Had he did, I would've made turned the match into a button check and restart the battle but it all worked out well in the end.

I've watched the replay a couple times now to see what I'm doing wrong and I've noticed that I was a bit too nair happy when I was trying to hit the can near the end of the match and if I was facing a better player, I would've been punished extremely hard for that. I also didn't use the can to the best of my ability (as shown when I tried to do a running USmash on Mega Man's USmash when realistically, I should've B pressed the can twice to hit him) and I think I got lucky that I hit as many smashes as I did because honestly I shouldn't be using them that much.

All in all though, if you get any ideas for tips after watching the game, please tell me as I really want to improve. As I mentioned before in one of the threads, I've only had the Wii U version for a week, so there's still a lot of room to get better!

EDIT: I just watched your video right now @ DunnoBro DunnoBro and I'm amazed on how often you get the dair! Those poor Little Macs never saw it coming.
Hey man! Thank you fer the feedback on my vid! Now it only seems right to do the same.
I like your use of nair outta shield early on, and later when you almost kill Megaman! That's something I don't do at all, and it's great that you use it! What I'm less sure of (as you mentioned), is nairing the can towards your opponent. I can't help but feel that back airing the can more would be beneficial in keeping the pressure on and it would be easier to be consistent. That's just me though. If you feel confident in the trajectory of the can through nair, more power to ya! I do think you should move the can around a bit more though. Just down-tilt it towards the opponent. There was a moment at 5:47 where you press 'B' immediately after bairing the can and it blows up in your face shortly after. Be confident in lettin' cans fly!

Some real nice follow ups and throws into cans in that match by the way. Real nice!

Advice that I got from @Splooshi Splashy was "Use up-tilt more". I'm only now trying to put that into play and I think you should do the same! There were a few moments there where your brother is next to you and an up-tilt woulda worked great! Matter of fact, if you're confident enough in your power shielding, you should be slightly more aggressive against projectile characters. The likelihood is that your projectiles won't beat the opponents, so try and get in! Gain some ground and then go in for more grabs and straight-forward attacks. Practice some more of your close up game.

Overall though man, you have a solid Duck Hunt! I'd love to see more vids from you in the future!

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Thank you for the feedback, @ TheWorstMuppet TheWorstMuppet ! I'll try to work on my bairs and close range game then! I got into the habit of not using it much because I can never seem to hit the can with the bair when I'm on the same plane as the can (like on FD), but I think full hop bairs could hit the can on one of the Battlefield platforms, so I think I'll try to use that more until I'm more precise about my can work. The nair use actually comes from Villager experience! Though, I need to check the frame data of it as I have a hunch that it might not be as safe OoS as Villy's

I can't wait to see the matches, @ DunnoBro DunnoBro ! It's that one tournament you talked about earlier with the custom dog, right?

Last edited:

MVD

Smash Master
Your Duck Hunt is really Side B heavy. Camping with Duck Hunt is fine, but the order of projectiles should be more Gunmen, Can, and Pigeon last. Try to go for more grabs in your game to mix up your approach options. You were really passive on your follow-ups which drove opponents up to the high %s when you could have killed earlier.

To comment more on your skill level then your Duck Hunt, you showed a bad habit of being repetitive. Towards the later videos I could pretty much read every play you were making and against really good players that is going to get you killed. If you want to improve your gameplay then you really need to improve your mix-ups, or else you'll become a one-trick pony. Also you need to work on your reads and your techs, the lack of those basics is what really lost you that game against Yoshi.

In terms of improving your Duck Hunt, I would just say watch and learn from the Brood and MVD videos in this thread. They may not have incredible im depth character knowledge and insane optimized combos, but they do have very good fundementals, which is always good to improve.
But I do have incredible knowledge about duckhunt

Pyro-is-Magic

Smash Cadet
But I do have incredible knowledge about duckhunt
I mean you are probably the best Duck Hunt player when it comes to projectiles and camping, but I haven't seen your Duck Hunt in the longest time. After watching your CEO match vs Dabuz, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Er2XIsABFOY your Duck Hunt really seemed out dated and not at all ready for the match up. That match really makes me question how much you have still been practicing Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Wicked can set ups on those matches, @ DunnoBro DunnoBro

I feel like the future of our character is being able to master the excellent can display Dunno did. A single can is able to cover so many options if you're fully aware of all the angles you can send it in. Even more so when the can comes back! Those matches got me extremely motivated and it is a true example what we should be doing. Like the commentator said, "Other Duck Hunts, take notes". Even though the Arcadian tournament didn't have power ranked players, I feel like if you keep exploring the character and keep up this incredible performance, you can probably become a top DH player. Best of luck on your future endeavors, bro.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

The rest of your advice I agree with. I 100% agree that I toss clay pigeons too much and neglect the other two projectiles (although my order of projectiles was more in the vein of Can, Pigeon, Gunmen), I actually already noticed that even before I recorded these, just somehow I'm still in the habit of doing it and haven't fixed it yet. My mixups are lacking and my reading ability in those games were flawed, I won't deny that either. I would've missed my repetition habit if you hadn't pointed it out, thx and I'll work with that. Been noticing my passiveness on my own lately and you're right about that too, I tend to give up advantageous openings and give my opponents too much respect in those scenarios, especially when they're at the ledge or when landing back on the ground.

However, I disagree about me going for more grabs for two reasons: 1. After rewatching my videos just now, I can say that I didn't underuse the grab button an attempted many followups from it (sometmes even when they stopped being a combo, something else I nee to work on haha), especially not in the DK fight. 2. People actually give me some feedback that I go for grabs too much and I am prone to whiffing more of them than I can count, and I am actually working on controlling my habit and go for grabs less, although if you still really think I didn't grab all that much then this is a sign that I'm slowly improving on it. Maybe in just these particular videos I underused it, but in general most of the time I get told the opposite:

And while I agree that I'm too hung up on the Side B, that doesn't mean I was camping, or at least I wasn't intending to. Truth be told, Duck Hunt in general is not great at camping imo and I honestly even don't view them as a camping-heavy character, all 3 of their projectiles are way too slow to effectively zone anybody out unless they're facing a heavy or a character who sucks at approaching in general, and I can think of quite a few characters who are better at camping than they are: Mega Man, Villager, Toon Link, & Pac-Man, just to name a few. I view them more as a pressure/trap character who mixes in both rushdown and spacing every so often and constantly switching between both styles (would personally say they're slightly better at rushown, but that's just me). When I toss SideB, my intention is to poke, not necessarily camp, the opponent just outside their range for some easy damage and combo into Fair if it hits. Granted, I do run away a lot hen I use it, but its to create space to lessen the chance of me getting punished for it, not to camp. If I really was camping, I would be passively sitting at the edge of the stage tossing out my projectiles with hardly any mobility/movement at all and trying to ensure that my opponents don't come near me at all, which I definitely didn't do (in fact half the time, I tried to come to them myself). I used to do that when I first started the game, but I've learned that it's an ineffective gameplan and for the most part I've stopped doing it, except of course when I fight heavies like DK or Bowser.

Sorry for the slow reply, been having a busy week. Thx for pointing this stuff out though.

Last edited:

oogamania

Smash Cadet
NNID
oogaman
Disclaimer: I play much better usually than I do here. >.>

:4duckhunt:Muppet Vs:4tlink:Yackabean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF2-XdP_Txw

Honest critique appreciated!
As usual, DHD has a hard time killing. Sakurai, why give Robin of all characters a hoohah setup and not DHD?

Anyway, this MU can be pretty tricky since this is a projectile war between these two characters. The can (DHD) and the boomerang (T.Link) are the best projectiles, if used properly, but I believe in a MU like this it's based on who can control the stage and kill the earliest. Sadly, T.Link has a kill setup and can control a large stage like BF with boomerang spam. The boomerang knocks away the can, shatters the clay and may kill the gunmen. I'd recommend any DHD to go to a stage like TandC or even Dreamland because DHD's most relible kill option is either KOing off the top with UAIR or using BAIR. UpTilt can kill as well instead of spamming smash attacks.

I specifically picked up Olimar for this MU so that I can block all of his Projectiles with my pikmin and Olimar is good at controlling the ground game, plus he shuts down most projectile based characters! Except ROB...

Last edited:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Yeah when I get in, it's alright. Although Yacka rarely lets me in. I play a lotta Alph, so I might switch to him in certain situations. Accordin' to Pika Kong, Olimar's not too bad against Sonic, which I have my doubts about. I'll hafta see for myself.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
DHD's projectiles beat out TL's at long range. The only times DHD's lose are when he's relatively close, where TL and Link like to be sometimes. Gunmen eat his projectiles and still shoot (unless you're close up or it's a bomb). You just have to make holes over and over until you get at a good enough range to throw out a mixup landing fair or grab, or read, etc.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Here is was a recent tourney in Japan with a Doggy. It's not Brood, however, and Ranai makes the MU look very easy. Ranai is scary...

Also here is @ ThatGuyYouMightKnow ThatGuyYouMightKnow at Xanadu last week, against Darkflame (Falcon).

I won't offer any critique unless you ask, but I think we as a group should break down this match, it's a very good match!

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Also here is @ ThatGuyYouMightKnow ThatGuyYouMightKnow at Xanadu last week, against Darkflame (Falcon).
I won't offer any critique unless you ask, but I think we as a group should break down this match, it's a very good match![/quote]
I'm always open to it. I think that match was extremely sloppy for me at times, I can do so much better. I just have to get over my nervousness issue and I'll be such a good doggy. WOOF

What I do want to know is what you all think when you have to go up against dangerous speed characters. I fall back into can, reverse grab and dair tactics at times.

My huntlist recently expanded to include Mister Eric. Not losing to him anymore. ANGRYFACEDOG

Last edited:

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
What I do want to know is what you all think when you have to go up against dangerous speed characters. I fall back into can, reverse grab and dair tactics at times.
Depends which speed characters, each has a unique approach. I can't offer any effective advice for sonic/greninja because I fight those rarely.

Captain Falcon is beatable. Largely bested by well-timed frisbee interrupts (my starting move is de facto a frisbee unless I suspect they're a jump spammer, then it's a can). If he's a jump spammer, can him. If he shields a lot, gunman to provoke shield then grab.

Little Mac is a nightmare (I think he's been... buffed?!). Frisbee doesn't work well. Your primary advantage is bair/fair off edge out of range (you'll probably have to grab throw first, but two successive bairs/fairs after grab throw and he's out). Largely you need to jump, frisbee and bluff attack to get him to open. If he gains KO punch, you can either roll dodge until it runs out (passive), or you can projectile spam him (damage makes KO reset faster). DHD's roll dodge protection appears to be severely curtailed in 1.1.0, so roll dodging is not advised.

Sheik is the nastiest. Frisbee works (except when Sheik runs), if they jump spam, can. If they homing jump, you can either use 'shield and respond' technique, or deploy gunman with roll back (don't stand near gunman or the jump hits you both) which will decoy the jump. Jump the needles (usually, jump then frisbee on land), or use gunman and shield.

Zero suit spamus is beatable. They classically use the same approximate approach: stun shot, grapple, up throw, up air, up air, or dash attack, stun shot (then the previous technique) or grapple (then the previous technique). Spamus has the same flaws as Falcon - vulnerable to frisbee. Use frisbee to interrupt dashes, projectile overwhelm the stun shot (frisbee will cancel out). The homing jump attack requires the 'roll dodge and respond' technique (you can use the 'shield and respond' technique, but spamus annoyingly bounces off the shield), but be careful because the recovery time after a miss is insanely fast (I do a safe frisbee punish). Roll dodge and rapid tap works well, and grabs will factor in. You can break spamus' aerial combo-locks either with air-dodge, neutral air or canikaze.

Falco (? is this a speed character?). Depends on if you're up against competent or incompetent players. Remember, your frisbee can override about 2-3 lasers, and done at the right range, he'll still be putting away his gun when the frisbee hits. Take advantage of any interrupts. Keep projectile play to a minimum (reflector spamming Falco's are a nightmare to get past with close range). You can fair him if he laser camps as an alternative to early frisbee landing but some are smart enough to punish, shield or reflect. Unlike other characters, you need to keep on Falco's tail (excuse the pun) so he doesn't get a chance to setup combo spam locks - so fair, bairs, light jab locks, roll dodging and the occasional frisbee are all par for the course. Just be sure to shield his forward A and down A as they're fatal early on. If he side-B spams, a mid-air can or frisbee will both interrupt.

Fox is similar to Falco, with the exceptions the frisbee will absorb more laser blasts, and that you can (fairly) safely projectile spam Fox - if he reflector spams, it does no damage after the initial appearance, which means every time after that is a free pass to dash attack, grab or close-range punish. Avoid frisbees at close range as Fox is extremely dangerous here, and stick to light jabs (don't bother with smash moves unless you've got a good clear read).

Sonic and Greninja - ???. Personally I think Sonic is too fast at the moment such punishes are stupidly hard to pull off. Greninja is similarly tricky. I have no real advice for either (other than to use 'roll dodge and respond' for sonic's homing B move for the same reason as spamus').

oogamania

Smash Cadet
NNID
oogaman
This is a video of my recent matches against a stronk Shulk and Luigi. Two of my fairly difficult MU's. https://youtu.be/cRHJDQioPZo?t=8m52s

It's funny that some people, including Dabuz believes that Shulk is a weak character, but I can't help but feel that in this game, unlike Melee and Brawl, everyone is good, therefore I'm fighting the player not the character!

I've been having a rough time against Shulks lately. His Sword is so long! It knocks away my can, shatters my clay pigeon, and the gunmen do not help since every Shulk I met on FG and elsewhere jump over the gunmen. And shield monado is an ABSOLUTE pain...

Luigi is not difficult to wall out, but a smart luigi can really give DHD a hard time, considering the fact that his fireballs one-hit-KO's the gunmen and shatters the clay pigeon. against both Luigi and Shulk, it seems all DHD can do is do what he is made to do: struggle to get a KO and throw stuff at the opponent.

Does anyone else have issues against Shulk and Luigi? I know I do...

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
This is a video of my recent matches against a stronk Shulk and Luigi. Two of my fairly difficult MU's. https://youtu.be/cRHJDQioPZo?t=8m52s

It's funny that some people, including Dabuz believes that Shulk is a weak character, but I can't help but feel that in this game, unlike Melee and Brawl, everyone is good, therefore I'm fighting the player not the character!

I've been having a rough time against Shulks lately. His Sword is so long! It knocks away my can, shatters my clay pigeon, and the gunmen do not help since every Shulk I met on FG and elsewhere jump over the gunmen. And shield monado is an ABSOLUTE pain...

Luigi is not difficult to wall out, but a smart luigi can really give DHD a hard time, considering the fact that his fireballs one-hit-KO's the gunmen and shatters the clay pigeon. against both Luigi and Shulk, it seems all DHD can do is do what he is made to do: struggle to get a KO and throw stuff at the opponent.

Does anyone else have issues against Shulk and Luigi? I know I do...
That luigi can put in twice the damage for one mistake irks me. A lot.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
That I can help with. I used to absolutely HATE shulk (he's been replaced with Ike, Sonic and Sheik in terms of my 'absolutely hate' list), then I found his weakness.

Firstly, you need to drop classic DHD projectile usage. As you correctly observe, his sword interrupts projectiles (especially that irritating neutral air 360 spin spam). Your main reliance is roll dodging and baiting - you want to bait his 'back' slash and aerial jumps. Shulk is a very 'forward' heavy character (excepting some moves) and once you realise his back is exposed, he becomes a walk in the park.

Roll dodge 'back' slash, punish with frisbee, follow up with dash attack, air jab. If he's a heavy counter spammer, use can (the can bypasses the counter for some reason and the explosion interrupts him, free pass to attack). Once he's airborne, you want to target his feet with the can (don't go for his front - his feet are his sword's blind spot), but keep sharp for a reactive rapid roll in-case he deflects the can with neutral air. If he attacks at the can prematurely and you see an opening, go for an fair.

Keep on his tail once you juggle, if you're fast enough you'll interrupt his sword strikes before they have a chance to attack. If he's a heavy jump to back air spammer, you want to sit and bait his attack, then roll dodge at the last second (you can then either light rapid jab, frisbee or smash A depending on timing).

You'll want to keep him spaced. Avoid getting trapped on the edge. Jump over him if you have to.

To KO shulk, treat him like you would a little mac but with a higher up jump - bair or can him out of range (can is advised as bair can be overridden by the sword's length).

His disadvantages when using the different modes are as follows:

No art: No weakness.
Smash: he's easier to launch.
Buster: takes more damage, appears easier to launch(?).
Shield: moves slower, sword is shorter.
Jump: jumps higher but loses finese of control, reduction on damage.
Speed: shorter sword, slightly less damage.

Exploit each as you would as if dealing with a character of that class:

Smash: roll dodge, smash As, bairs and any other smash moves.
Buster: frisbee chip damage and opportuntistic launch attempts.
Shield: Outrun, roll dodge, frisbee chip damage, harass.
Jump: Bait/provoke, roll dodge and exploit opening, can to suppress the air.
Speed: roll dodge very actively and light rapid jabs/light attacks on opening, frisbee chip damage.

Once you figure his weakness for each state, he becomes vulnerable. Most will try to switch to jump when recovering (free pass to mid-air intercept), shield when heavily damaged (apply technique regardless until it runs out), and smash when you're high percent. Jump, speed or buster depends on their attack preferences: jump = jump spammer, speed = speedster, buster = aggressive.

Remember, if you can't handle a particular art, just waste his time for about 10 seconds, when it will run out and take another 10 seconds to recharge - that's your opening.

Additional tip: don't be afraid of his sword. If you see him trying to select an art, immediately harass him so he lands on the 'wrong' one, which will totally throw his game. Use anything to force him to do something - anything - to break the art selection (frisbee, can, gunman, dash). Even if he injures you, it means you've thrown his game. If you're a very clever person, you can even force him to break at the art that you want...

He'll spend the rest of the match trying to 'sort out' his art selection, of which you can harass him again, usually for free damage...

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2l3ckIz4LE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ik5n3GGLw

As promised, here's the tournament I managed to tie for 7th at. The first match was on a Link people felt was underseeded that I barely managed to squeak by. The second is me vs. the best player from that particular part of the state. The only reason he didn't win was because Zinoto showed up to this event too. As you can see I had to play really, really dirty to take one off of him. Maybe that's just how we gotta be.

Anyways, critiques, comments, anything would be appreciated. I plan on coming back and viewing the stuff before me in kind.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Don't take any of my critiques personally, they're only directed at gameplay style (good on you for using duck hunt in a tournament).

Your first move straight off the bat should be frisbee (as soon as it says 'go'). Doesn't matter what Link does, he's immediately cancelled, hit or cornered. If he runs, the frisbee hits, if he boomerangs or arrows or bombs, they're cancelled. If he shields he's cornered, if he falls back he's cornered. Basically, you force the fight right to his doorstep, advantage to you. Use the time to close the gap or setup shop.

Punish his projectile spam (classically it's boomerang, arrow, bomb, but it can be boomerang, arrow, arrow, or boomerang, arrow, foward A) with a frisbee at DHD's mid-range (it's where the tip of DHD's smash A hits). The frisbee will interrupt hook shot (even if it gets you), nullify arrow (or override if it's sufficiently low power), or cancel boomerang. What you do next depends on his reaction - if forward A, roll dodge and jab, if arrow, frisbee, if bomb, shield and roll dodge back.

Link is a tricky OP character to deal with. Do not approach his sword - it's fatal in a lot of cases, instead safely punish with frisbee and shots. Don't bother with can during normal play as he has the same 'issues' as shulk (sword deflects can, boomerang deflects can), save it for when he's open (mid-air recovery, mid-air jumps, etc). Avoid trying to punish seeming openings with fair or bair as Link's deceptive slowness often turns into a fast KO stab.

Gunman will counter boomerang (either block or if it survives, hit).

Don't attempt a second f-air combo on link (his mid-air f-air is usually powerful and overrides DHD's f-air, annoyingly). Instead, fall back and frisbee or gunman mid-air. If you're not sure of the window of opportunity of hitstun when he's airborne, don't risk it as his aerial moves pack a punch. Dealing with Link is as much damage control as it is trying to hit.

Second match - great opening combo, beautifully done, but an overreliance on cans when you got to the green turfs area (which are useless against boomerangs and backfired on you), use frisbee in place of cans in those situations. I noticed you tried to leap off the edge to KO prior to that point, when you should have setup shop - deploy gunman, can. Nudge can to ledge (to force him up into gunman or explosion if he doesn't), then either dash attack or frisbee just slightly after the gunman fires (most drop their shield after gunman). It's better to get free damage and keep the combo running than to risk being reversed spiked and giving them a free pass to start their spam tactics again. Once they reach a certain percentage, even your light jab combo will KO. And if the can succeeds, you force them into a can combo lock with a free pass to intercept if you see fit.

You got in some fantastic surprise back airs.

When you see Link rushing like that, it means they're panicking - which is good, they don't shield and are vulnerable to projectiles (projectile and run away, projectile and run away). Remember to mislead them by jumping one direction then back jumping the other for a free frisbee pass on landing. Most will U-turn to go back only to find a face full of frisbee.

The second match you almost allowed a free reset on his up-air with the can (good job KOing him though) - if you think someone won't make it, abort the can by shooting it up over them so they don't hit it and don't get a reset on their up air.

Third match - same attempt at KO off the edge attempt. Down air spike isn't too effective at low percentages (32% no dice), and isn't worth it for DHD as it's too slow. It'll work at as low as about 40-50% but with Link it's a risk. Again, setup shop, gunman, can. That last KO with he down spike though was beautiful.

If you can beat Link, you can beat all bar the ultimate spam tiers - Sheik, Ike and Sonic.

I'll review the Samus one later, but that should be a straight forward win. Samus has the same flaws as DHD - can't handle close range. Except, DHD is faster.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Don't take any of my critiques personally, they're only directed at gameplay style (good on you for using duck hunt in a tournament).

Your first move straight off the bat should be frisbee (as soon as it says 'go'). Doesn't matter what Link does, he's immediately cancelled, hit or cornered. If he runs, the frisbee hits, if he boomerangs or arrows or bombs, they're cancelled. If he shields he's cornered, if he falls back he's cornered. Basically, you force the fight right to his doorstep, advantage to you. Use the time to close the gap or setup shop.

Punish his projectile spam (classically it's boomerang, arrow, bomb, but it can be boomerang, arrow, arrow, or boomerang, arrow, foward A) with a frisbee at DHD's mid-range (it's where the tip of DHD's smash A hits). The frisbee will interrupt hook shot (even if it gets you), nullify arrow (or override if it's sufficiently low power), or cancel boomerang. What you do next depends on his reaction - if forward A, roll dodge and jab, if arrow, frisbee, if bomb, shield and roll dodge back.

Link is a tricky OP character to deal with. Do not approach his sword - it's fatal in a lot of cases, instead safely punish with frisbee and shots. Don't bother with can during normal play as he has the same 'issues' as shulk (sword deflects can, boomerang deflects can), save it for when he's open (mid-air recovery, mid-air jumps, etc). Avoid trying to punish seeming openings with fair or bair as Link's deceptive slowness often turns into a fast KO stab.

Gunman will counter boomerang (either block or if it survives, hit).

Don't attempt a second f-air combo on link (his mid-air f-air is usually powerful and overrides DHD's f-air, annoyingly). Instead, fall back and frisbee or gunman mid-air. If you're not sure of the window of opportunity of hitstun when he's airborne, don't risk it as his aerial moves pack a punch. Dealing with Link is as much damage control as it is trying to hit.

Second match - great opening combo, beautifully done, but an overreliance on cans when you got to the green turfs area (which are useless against boomerangs and backfired on you), use frisbee in place of cans in those situations. I noticed you tried to leap off the edge to KO prior to that point, when you should have setup shop - deploy gunman, can. Nudge can to ledge (to force him up into gunman or explosion if he doesn't), then either dash attack or frisbee just slightly after the gunman fires (most drop their shield after gunman). It's better to get free damage and keep the combo running than to risk being reversed spiked and giving them a free pass to start their spam tactics again. Once they reach a certain percentage, even your light jab combo will KO. And if the can succeeds, you force them into a can combo lock with a free pass to intercept if you see fit.

You got in some fantastic surprise back airs.

When you see Link rushing like that, it means they're panicking - which is good, they don't shield and are vulnerable to projectiles (projectile and run away, projectile and run away). Remember to mislead them by jumping one direction then back jumping the other for a free frisbee pass on landing. Most will U-turn to go back only to find a face full of frisbee.

The second match you almost allowed a free reset on his up-air with the can (good job KOing him though) - if you think someone won't make it, abort the can by shooting it up over them so they don't hit it and don't get a reset on their up air.

Third match - same attempt at KO off the edge attempt. Down air spike isn't too effective at low percentages (32% no dice), and isn't worth it for DHD as it's too slow. It'll work at as low as about 40-50% but with Link it's a risk. Again, setup shop, gunman, can. That last KO with he down spike though was beautiful.

If you can beat Link, you can beat all bar the ultimate spam tiers - Sheik, Ike and Sonic.

I'll review the Samus one later, but that should be a straight forward win. Samus has the same flaws as DHD - can't handle close range. Except, DHD is faster.
Ty. I gotta say the third is a skill disparity. Its far more,pronounced when he pulls out Ike. I get rattled by the first ko and lose all composure.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Ty. I gotta say the third is a skill disparity. Its far more,pronounced when he pulls out Ike. I get rattled by the first ko and lose all composure.
Don't stress too much on being KO'd - DHD gets that sometimes. Instead, if you're being juggled prior to being KO'd, focus on adding small amounts to his percent (I use can for that) so when your next DHD life comes in, it can surprise bair or smack him off stage to KO. Then when you KO him on return, you can see it as a 1 stock 0% v 0% matchup anew where this time you're going to learn from any mistakes previous and exploit any flaws in his technique.

If you get a perfect interrupt combo going, it is possible for DHD to win even with a huge ~80 percent disadvantage (because usually the interrupt combo gets them to ~80% and it's an even playing field again).

This Captain Falcon certainly didn't get far:

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Got some gameplay:
DHD vs. DDD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7D04NT9QBA This is against a friend of mine, not a Dedede main, but I do some things during the match that some players may find interesting.
DHD vs. Ike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhSmfsUy89M This is just a For Glory match, I find it pretty funny since I do so well, and... well, just watch. Still, some things may interest players.
That's why Ike is on my 'absolutely hate' list (along with Sonic and Sheik). DHD dies to him at about 60-80%, and his sword hits do between 14-25% damage, meaning in four hits he'll have you on the rocks. I can make a couple of suggestions:

1) Ike is vulnerable to grabs. Although he can override most A moves, his sword movement is slow enough a grab will do a full interrupt.

2) Use 'shield and respond' for his side-B dash. You must allow it to hit the shield (it increases his recovery from the attack than if he misses). Bait him with a shield drop. Done right, he'll side-B your shield, leaving himself open to a punish. If you want to play it ultra safe, roll dodge once he hits the shield so you're behind him, then punish (note: it's easier to grab from in-front in most cases).

Top Bottom