• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "The Dog Show" - Duck Hunt Video Thread

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I made a much larger effort to play around my can this time, can I get a little critique?
Again really good Duck Hunt and I see you used the can a lot more. I would suggest watching this Japanese Duck Hunt Player named Brood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDGjyTE4MKc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etvrq4AXBy8
Here are a couple of videos
Also practicing B-less (without specials) helped a lot with my approach game and Aerial spacing. I would suggest that as well, although it is difficult, it helped me not depend on my projectiles as much and improved my game once I did return to using them.

Last edited:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Me vs :4zss:

http://www.twitch.tv/bossnr/c/6335500 (at 58:53)
Would appreciate some tips, this match is like a week old
Keep in Mind, this was laggy as hell, we left the Game and played without the stream.
I managed to win the set 2:0
Hey, I know this match is quite old by now and you have probably improved even more since then, but I figured I'd watch through your game and give feedback, seeing as it hadn't been commented on yet...

01:00:35 - I really like your choice of forward smash here. Even though it missed and ZSS came back and punished, it forced her back! That's awesome! The pressure from you throughout this game is very good indeed. You pretty much have control of the stage for most of the game!

01:00:38 - After you get grabbed and thrown up, you then air-dodged ZSS's follow-up. As soon as a situation like that happens, use nair. As soon as your air dodge finishes, just throw out a nair. If your opponent gets naired enough times they'll stop going for the follow-up.

01:00:40 - Nice Bair! In fact, you get a couple of nice back and forward airs throughout this game. I think you could stand to use short-hop up-airs more though. It's pretty dangerous to f-air on shield, too. I did that constantly up until a week ago and I always got grab punished for it. I guess just mix-up your aerials a bit more.

01:02:04 - Take advantage of free grabs more. Here you could've charged in and grabbed when they shielded the gunman. I understand because of the connection it would be pretty risky in this instance, but just take that as general advice.

01:02:33 - Moments like this are why I love playing Duck Hunt. Good quick thinkin' follow-up!

01:03:42 - I believe your shielding here is a little excessive. I was afraid the first time I watched this that ZSS would just drop down and charge-grab you. Don't get me wrong, I like the can-shield combination, but you were quite far away from any immediate danger.

It's obviously to our benefit that not a lot of people know how to fight against Duck Hunt Duo. It seems like that was the case here (quite a few time ZSS ran into clay pigeons). In cases like these, I tend to be more aggressive with follow ups and a barrage of projectiles, but with the connection here that probably wasn't the best option.

Either way, you play a rockin' Duck Hunt Duo! You took control of the stage for most of the game and even with a dodgy connection a lot of your game seemed on point! So kudos to you!

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Yeah, brood is amazing. There are some more matches of him, I might as well post them for you guys
vs. :4zss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz-2Ss7vG3c
vs. :4tlink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EObG3c1Shss
vs.:4sheik:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEpNmZAKj-0
vs.:4bowser:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etvrq4AXBy8 (my personal favourite)
vs. :4pacman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMj4JMFtX8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bZAGYv6-uM

That's all I can think of atm. There might be more, but those are the most recent (and Wii U of course)
His aggression is amazing. I have been kinda learning this playstyle now and I can tell you: This works.
Brood proves that an aggressive Duck Hunt can do really well (He got in Losers Final of big Tournaments etc.)
To learn this, I would suggest you to play without any B's against decent players.
I've been trying to point out that DH can be aggressive for a long time, but I kept getting shot down. Good to see these videos looking so hype.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I have two videos of my DHD both of which was from a practice session at my house.

I'm going to try to get active on the DHD boards, so here we go and feedback is greatly apprciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUYOC6rTVWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzX8bxYwVRc
Dang! All I can say is that if these were from January, I'd love to see your Duck Hunt now! You had a great mix of offense and defense going on! It's great to watch!

Game 1:

0:33 - Great reads indeed! After watching @falln's video breakdown on Duck Hunt, I've now taken to forward smashing after a down-throw. Obviously it won't work every time, but more often than not, I land it. I recommend watch falln's vid if you haven't already! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg4zhHFJfWY

2:07 - Aw, man. I've watched this several times and that whiffed last shot on that forward smash kills me every time!

2:30 - I like your use of can here. Initially I was going to comment asking why you wouldn't just back-throw him into the can, but I'm not sure whether the angle was right so it was probably safer just dropping it on yourself.

Game 2:

0:42 - I love that. I've replayed that moment several times! Death from above! Arr, 's great! -Watches again-

1:03 - You should mix up your recovery with gunmen. I like your coverage with cans already, but gunmen can be really useful in helping you land back safely.

1:16 - Ok, now I know you could've thrown ZSS into the can here. The angle was great, the platform was coming back and the can was traveling away from you. I think that would've been a dead ZSS. I mean, you snagged the kill shortly after, but still...

2:24 - It's debatable, but I would say you do the reverse clay pigeon shot a little too much. Maybe not as much in this game as in the first one, but... I feel it was still noticeable. I've only recently broken my habit of running away and throwing the clay pigeon back. It works great the first few times, and then when they pick up on it and start power shielding it's difficult to stop. Just don't let it become a habit like I did!

It's kinda hard to give feedback actually. You played a terrific Duck Hunt but It seemed like Max wasn't too familiar with the match up as he was pretty much running into most things you threw at him. You pretty much dominated both those games! If you manage to get some matches with him in the future, I'd love to see them!

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Dang! All I can say is that if these were from January, I'd love to see your Duck Hunt now! You had a great mix of offense and defense going on! It's great to watch!

Game 1:

0:33 - Great reads indeed! After watching @falln's video breakdown on Duck Hunt, I've now taken to forward smashing after a down-throw. Obviously it won't work every time, but more often than not, I land it. I recommend watch falln's vid if you haven't already! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg4zhHFJfWY

2:07 - Aw, man. I've watched this several times and that whiffed last shot on that forward smash kills me every time!

2:30 - I like your use of can here. Initially I was going to comment asking why you wouldn't just back-throw him into the can, but I'm not sure whether the angle was right so it was probably safer just dropping it on yourself.

Game 2:

0:42 - I love that. I've replayed that moment several times! Death from above! Arr, 's great! -Watches again-

1:03 - You should mix up your recovery with gunmen. I like your coverage with cans already, but gunmen can be really useful in helping you land back safely.

1:16 - Ok, now I know you could've thrown ZSS into the can here. The angle was great, the platform was coming back and the can was traveling away from you. I think that would've been a dead ZSS. I mean, you snagged the kill shortly after, but still...

2:24 - It's debatable, but I would say you do the reverse clay pigeon shot a little too much. Maybe not as much in this game as in the first one, but... I feel it was still noticeable. I've only recently broken my habit of running away and throwing the clay pigeon back. It works great the first few times, and then when they pick up on it and start power shielding it's difficult to stop. Just don't let it become a habit like I did!

It's kinda hard to give feedback actually. You played a terrific Duck Hunt but It seemed like Max wasn't too familiar with the match up as he was pretty much running into most things you threw at him. You pretty much dominated both those games! If you manage to get some matches with him in the future, I'd love to see them!
Wow thanks for the lengthy response and yes I have leveled up quite a bit since I played in january.

Your analysis was really spot on and it does look like I had missed a couple of throw setups when the can was out against ZSS!

I intend on putting in more work and uploading more videos.

ALSO!!!! That ending against ZSS was my favorite combo I have pulled off in SSB4 thus far.

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
Hey guys. I'm a new poster. I decided to do some streaming tonight, so here's a clip of the stream. I played a lot of fg. Skip to around 7 minutes for it to start.

I know I roll a lot. What else can I work on? I don't think I have a bad DH. I think I'm one of the stronger DH mains out there, but always can improve.

http://www.twitch.tv/lilinuyasha91/b/647657205

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Hey guys. I'm a new poster. I decided to do some streaming tonight, so here's a clip of the stream. I played a lot of fg. Skip to around 7 minutes for it to start.

I know I roll a lot. What else can I work on? I don't think I have a bad DH. I think I'm one of the stronger DH mains out there, but always can improve.

http://www.twitch.tv/lilinuyasha91/b/647657205
Hey man! Just finished the stream and here's my spiel...

-First off, your use of aerials were great! You got a few nice double up-air moments during your games there! Those were sweet.

-Your can game could do with a bit of mixing up. Sometimes you d-tilted the can, which worked great but you could stand to change it up a bit more. Like short-hop bairing the can towards them. Then if it hits them, they'll coming flying back towards you and you can follow up! You should also try dash-attack-into-can against opponents recovering high. Then you can bait the air dodge and go in for an Up-Air. This is a lot easier to do offline.

-From all the matches I saw, you pretty much dominated the stage. There were a few points however where your opponent (I think it was Captain Falcon) was on the edge and you surrendered control by moving backwards to the other side and throwing out a gunman, waiting for him to come to you. This worked out alright here as the Falcon didn't know how to approach properly, but obviously you don't want to relinquish control in the middle of an even fight. The majority of the time however, you took control and you kept control. Very good stage dominance.

-You should use the can more in general. The first few games you hardly used it.

-Early on, I was gonna call you out for not capitalizing on free grabs from opponents shielding the gunman. Later on though, you shut me right up!

-I think you need to move around a lot more. Most of the time you laid out a gunman and then stood behind it. It's good to run in after laying out a gunman, anticipating the shield or the jump and punish accordingly. A few times you kept moving after throwing the gunman out, but I believe you should do it more. Just be more mobile in general.

-You down-smash too much. I know it's a safe option against opponents near the edge, but you got punished a few times from peeps shielding it. That's not to discredit all the times it did work, however! I just think you used it one too many times.

-Man, you were hungry for that meteor smash! And I can't blame you! So dang satisfying.

Most of these notes might sound negative, but really they are nitpicks. From what I saw you have a very solid Duck Hunt, a good one! And that was online too, so I'm looking forward to seeing some local matches from you in the future! In the stream, you mentioned how there was a tournament coming up. Has it been? If so, how did you do? If it hasn't, then I hope you take what I said into consideration. I am by no means an expert. These are just my personal opinion. Good luck at the tourney if it hasn't happened already!

...But yeah, maybe ease up on the rolls.

Last edited:

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
Hey man! Just finished the stream and here's my spiel...

-First off, your use of aerials were great! You got a few nice double up-air moments during your games there! Those were sweet.

-Your can game could do with a bit of mixing up. Sometimes you d-tilted the can, which worked great but you could stand to change it up a bit more. Like short-hop bairing the can towards them. Then if it hits them, they'll coming flying back towards you and you can follow up! You should also try dash-attack-into-can against opponents recovering high. Then you can bait the air dodge and go in for an Up-Air. This is a lot easier to do offline.

-From all the matches I saw, you pretty much dominated the stage. There were a few points however where your opponent (I think it was Captain Falcon) was on the edge and you surrendered control by moving backwards to the other side and throwing out a gunman, waiting for him to come to you. This worked out alright here as the Falcon didn't know how to approach properly, but obviously you don't want to relinquish control in the middle of an even fight. The majority of the time however, you took control and you kept control. Very good stage dominance.

-You should use the can more in general. The first few games you hardly used it.

-Early on, I was gonna call you out for not capitalizing on free grabs from opponents shielding the gunman. Later on though, you shut me right up!

-I think you need to move around a lot more. Most of the time you laid out a gunman and then stood behind it. It's good to run in after laying out a gunman, anticipating the shield or the jump and punish accordingly. A few times you kept moving after throwing the gunman out, but I believe you should do it more. Just be more mobile in general.

-You down-smash too much. I know it's a safe option against opponents near the edge, but you got punished a few times from peeps shielding it. That's not to discredit all the times it did work, however! I just think you used it one too many times.

-Man, you were hungry for that meteor smash! And I can't blame you! So dang satisfying.

Most of these notes might sound negative, but really they are nitpicks. From what I saw you have a very solid Duck Hunt, a good one! And that was online too, so I'm looking forward to seeing some local matches from you in the future! In the stream, you mentioned how there was a tournament coming up. Has it been? If so, how did you do? If it hasn't, then I hope you take what I said into consideration. I am by no means an expert. These are just my personal opinion. Good luck at the tourney if it hasn't happened already!

...But yeah, maybe ease up on the rolls.
Yeah, rolling's a bad habit. I went to a small tourney in Abeline. WLWL. Not oto bad. Went to another tournamnet today, and took third. I've gotten slower better at rolls. I've been told I don't use enough smash attacks, which I can agree, and I do roll too much. I'll have my matches from the recent stream on youtube soon. in the meantime, here's the entire stream. My Pseudonym is "Dr.Love".

http://www.twitch.tv/lilinuyasha91/b/649226620

Timestamps for my match are around: 27:00. Ignore the commentary, responding to twitch chat :p My CFalc matchup went great for the first 2 matches. Then, he requested a different TV due to lag, so I obliged with a 2/5 lead, and got wreced the remaining games. So, pointers on that, please.

Thanks for listening and watching! I was commentating most of the time, so enjoy my voice.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Someone on YT actually posted a match that featured me in it! 8O I'm honestly surprised to see this outside of the 3DS Replay servers where I actually uploaded this match to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uAGGRzOnmQ

I named it "ShortDogBlockSun" due to the events that transpired in it. Were this the Wii U version, I would have used the "CostcoDawg" tag. XD
This is one of the rare few instances of me going 1v1 against anyone in FG. Only in the FG Smash/FFA room would I actually go for it, since I earnestly find 1v1s in any Smash boring in direct comparison to Teams (especially this!) and even FFAs. At least if anyone decides to "camp" (which I personally don't have a problem with, for I'd rather call it turtling/laming it out, and I actually like ChrisG's Morrigan/Doom/Vergil team in UMVC3, as well as the classic Ryu VS Zangief MU dynamic throughout the years), it'll only be for 2 minutes. :)

Here's the back-story that I can recall, going into this match:
Before this match, I was :4wiifitm:, and Noah coincidentally came into this room as :4wiifit: too, a ditto MU I'm hype for as well. :D I'm not sure who else was there, but there was definitely a :4charizard: player who frequently used Flare Blitz throughout that match, and racked up many KOs doing it, enough to take 1st place. Aside from Side 1 and possibly Neutral 1, I don't think the Trainer has too many answers to FB spam outside of fresh shields for blocking, and since it's FG FFA, where I'll likely be too focused on everyone else in that room to be in a position to mind him, I got bodied by that spam.

I somehow scored more KOs and demonstrated more advanced tech (ex. shorthop mashed Side B --> any aerial action) than Noah despite this, which I personally consider a win to me for that match. I then switched to :4duckhunt: as a hard counter pick to that FB spamming Charizard (:4alph:, :4pacman:, and even :4kirby: and :4ludwig: are my other counterpicks to that type of :4charizard: play, in case DH fails somehow). I at least knew from the lack of anything white on Noah's screen that he was still WFT, and while I was watching the Charizard player to see if he was going to stick around, I saw the Char leave. Noah was still there, despite that. When I locked in DH after seeing that, I expressed sympathy aloud towards him, exclaiming, "I thought that Charizard player was going to stick around! D: I'm so sorry for what I'm about to be doing to you for the next 2 minutes. You're going to be confronting one of the Trainer's bad MUs that was originally intended for the FB spammer, and I was actually enjoying the ditto MU. ;-; If you're still here after this match, I'll stick around to let you run it back with another character like Sonic or something."

Despite such a story going into this match, I cleared out my mind of such thoughts and gave it my all.

I wish I could understand what the French commentator was saying in this match vid. I hope it was insightfully tasteful commentary.

After that match, Noah was gone, and so was I. I wouldn't blame him, considering 1. the 2-0 wins I scored against him, and 2. how terrible the :4duckhunt: VS :4wiifit: MU is for :4wiifitm: w/out customs. I should know, I play both of them quite often. With Customs on, DH would probably run 3123, while WFT would probably run one of these sets: 3322 or 3222 or 3323 or 3223 or 3321 or 3221.

Constructive critique is most certainly welcome. Hopefully this showcases my claims of me playing an aggressive rushdown dalmation (who I ALWAYS pick when bringing out the dog for the 1st time in any given set) with self-made cover fire, some new tech, and my fixation on walled Omega stages and wall-jumping throughout my posts thus far. XD

Oh, and I am indeed from California, USA. The phrases "OpenDEAL!" and "MICRO!" came from one of my favorite animes from 2011 by the name of [C]: The Money of Soul & Possibility, one of the most exciting economics animes since Spice & Wolf. "OPEN DEAL!" is exclaimed at the beginning of every official battle in that series, and "MICRO!" is one of many commands uttered for certain attacks.

Croi

Smash Lord
We've had customs legal in my region since the very beginning. I kind of wrote off all of DHD's customs, but after seeing other players use a few in action, I decided to give them a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYJ7lAHuXMA :4rob:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p8DdYuUTCw :4ganondorf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yMMdCJFEK0 :4robinf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdD1eVzQVNk :4rob: GF1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5f24G7Cjbc :rosalina::4rob: GF2

I only used the EVO sets. I can see how crazy powerful the Zig-Zag Trick Shot is, but I don't like how it combined with Quickdraw essentially makes DHD an entirely aggressive character as opposed to his default specials making him more about trappings and setups. Clay Pigeon saw drastically fewer uses, and I don't like how Zig-Zag doesn't give me my "get out of jail free" option that default does when I'm caught in a combo.

Still, I might mess around with them some more. I mean, they worked out for the most part. And Duck Jump Snag isn't as bad as I thought.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I was playing a bit of For Glory this morning and I had a really weird moment against a Lucario. Watch the can here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_7P5vmYMYI
-Sound is waaay outta sync-

I don't shoot the can again after it's out, but the gunmen does and sends it on this crazy trajectory! I figured all gunmen send the can the same way, but...

~Sometimes that can seems to have a mind of its own...~

Last edited:

Charu

Smash Cadet
Not me as I found this when I was viewing the Replay Channel, but I really dig this Duck Hunt's antics against a... well... not so good Yoshi.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Hey guys! I have a video here recorded at our local weeklies.

Vs :4sheik:/:4jigglypuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BGFQzmwb6E

Any feedback would be great.
My opponent doesn't play Smash 4 as much as Street Fighter, so I got away with some silly stuff.
Also, this Sunday I'm heading to a tournament and I plan on repping da dawg throughout. I'll let you know how it goes. ~Yulp~

oogamania

Smash Cadet
NNID
oogaman

My opponent doesn't play Smash 4 as much as Street Fighter, so I got away with some silly stuff.
Also, this Sunday I'm heading to a tournament and I plan on repping da dawg throughout. I'll let you know how it goes. ~Yulp~
Your opponent may not know the DHD MU, let alone have played a good one before. I noticed you were mostly aggressive against his shiek, which is interesting because shiek should be the aggressor. You switched up your style slightly more into being projectile oriented when he threw out his Jiggs which is a good idea.

I love your aggressive style as DHD. That is something that I lack, but my style is all about frustrating my opponent with projectiles.
Here is my third win in an online tournament, but this is my second time that I've won going all DHD.
https://youtu.be/JXFknbMKQ3I

Last edited:

Tyler Jenson

Smash Rookie

GREAT CAN MOVEMENT!!! But your follow ups could use some polishing, there were multiple times you were set for a free u-air off the reverse can hit, but missed. Pay a little closer to percents when you hit with the can and you'll be nailing the combos though. But a great DHD overall, I'm taking notes.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Your opponent may not know the DHD MU, let alone have played a good one before. I noticed you were mostly aggressive against his shiek, which is interesting because shiek should be the aggressor. You switched up your style slightly more into being projectile oriented when he threw out his Jiggs which is a good idea.

I love your aggressive style as DHD. That is something that I lack, but my style is all about frustrating my opponent with projectiles.
Here is my third win in an online tournament, but this is my second time that I've won going all DHD.
https://youtu.be/JXFknbMKQ3I
I went into the match knowing that this guy doesn't play much Smash 4, so I figured I could afford to be aggressive. Most Sheiks I tend to play the keepaway game with, although I still end up being far too aggro.

I really like your style Oogmania, there's a lot of smart projectile play going on. Well done fer winning that tournament!

GREAT CAN MOVEMENT!!! But your follow ups could use some polishing, there were multiple times you were set for a free u-air off the reverse can hit, but missed. Pay a little closer to percents when you hit with the can and you'll be nailing the combos though. But a great DHD overall, I'm taking notes.
Aw thanks man, how nice of you!

Yeah you're right, there's plenty of moments that I miss the follow ups on. I keep forgetting to pay attention to the percents until it's too late, so that's something I need to work on. Half the time I'm not expecting the reverse-cans to hit, so I need to be ready for when it does.

oogamania

Smash Cadet
NNID
oogaman
I went into the match knowing that this guy doesn't play much Smash 4, so I figured I could afford to be aggressive. Most Sheiks I tend to play the keepaway game with, although I still end up being far too aggro.

I really like your style Oogmania, there's a lot of smart projectile play going on. Well done fer winning that tournament!

Aw thanks man, how nice of you!

Yeah you're right, there's plenty of moments that I miss the follow ups on. I keep forgetting to pay attention to the percents until it's too late, so that's something I need to work on. Half the time I'm not expecting the reverse-cans to hit, so I need to be ready for when it does.
Thank you, bruh! Just keep going to tourneys and you'll get better. Here is some advice for you; After the Diddy patch, I've met nothing but Yoshis! I looked back at my video and realized that every Yoshi WILL use FAIR off stage twice and every Yoshi likes staying mobile while floating in the air with eggs.

In the air against the double FAIR, the only options you have is break the move with a random can or just air dodge. IF the yoshi tries doing it near the ground, block the hit and as quickly as you can, use jab combo. Some yoshis will FAIR and follow it up with a 4-frame jab, so be careful! What I do against ANY Yoshi is pressure them with the can that is slightly below or above the eggs. IF the eggs make contact with the can, patiently wait for the opportune moment to UAIR. DHD loves can pressuring floatees like, luigi, DDD, Yoshi, Kirby and Jiggs. I'll have a video on this MU I had on Smash Ladder, later.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Went to a tournament and did quite poorly, but I did manage to play on stream and get a couple of matches recorded. A critique would be nice. I make quite a few technical mistakes because I don't play this game very much, but those should go away in time.

vs. Yoshi/Samus http://www.twitch.tv/pkjoey/c/6739895
vs. Link http://www.twitch.tv/pkjoey/c/6739860
Hey man, judging by these it seemed you played pretty well! How did the rest of the tournament go for you?

Yoshi/Samus-
Man, I have never seen anybody run into that many clay pigeons. I was going to comment on the amount of times you used it, but then in the Link matches you switched it up a little bit more. Still, there's a slight over-reliance on Side-B going on, I reckon. Just mix it up a bit more here and there. Practice on using your aerials a bit more. You didn't use f-airs, b-air or n-airs much and those can get the kill earlier than expected from DH. On the plus side, you kept control of the stage for the whole game, and you played DH rather aggressively with projectiles, which I always like watching!

Link-
It's weird how Samus can throw out a fully charged charge shot and have it blocked by a frisbee, yet Links arrows can tear through them like pieces of paper. You might hafta approach in these match ups without projectiles, as most if not all of DH's projectiles get beat by Links. Just get in Links face, powershield incoming projectiles and make sure he can't use them. My final piece of advice is move away from your projectiles once you've set them. Link was catching you with explosions from his bombs hitting the gunmen. Just keep moving!

For somebody who doesn't play the game very much, you've already got a good few things down pat with Duck Hunt Dog.
Keep at it!

oogamania

Smash Cadet
NNID
oogaman
Went to a tournament and did quite poorly, but I did manage to play on stream and get a couple of matches recorded. A critique would be nice. I make quite a few technical mistakes because I don't play this game very much, but those should go away in time.

vs. Yoshi/Samus http://www.twitch.tv/pkjoey/c/6739895
vs. Link http://www.twitch.tv/pkjoey/c/6739860
^^^ Muppet already said what I was gonna say.
Anyway, love your B-reverses, and pivot grabs and your bold UAIRS after Yoshi's FAIR.
Samus definately has a hard time against DHD'd that spam projectiles. They block most of Samus's Projectiles.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Does anyone have a video showcasing good uses of Zig-Zag can? Ever since I've entered a customs environment, I was far too used to default can and was too attached to it, and as such I've been playing Duck Hunt a bit less often and I haven't been around here in awhile. This weekend, I'm gonna play on Anther's ladder a bit and get some videos for critique.

oogamania

Smash Cadet
NNID
oogaman
Welp, another tournament bites the Can. https://youtu.be/EsupNhrXQEM

I asked the streamer if there have been any DHD mains that have won his tournament. He said I was the first and only one. Of Course, during my journey, I've received sum "Spammer" or "Campy" hate, but it works, so...yeah. Haters gonna hate. Also, Rnd 2 wasn't recorded because the player RQ in the second match.

One other DHD main mentions that his smash attacks are extremely unsafe, but every one of my wins ended with a surprise smash attack. One of my worst habits is throwing out smash attacks, so I'll tame this the more I play.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
http://www.twitch.tv/becca_draws/b/664324328

I entered a tournament this weekend, my first Smash 4 tournament and my first tournament period in the last 6 years. I start out the video, I'm using the default DH skin. You can see my final pools games - against another DH main. You can see me again vs Sheik and again against the same DH main as before starting around 2:04:00.

The stream gets a little choppy at some points but it's the only video I have at the moment. Any and all critique is helpful, I hate the ditto matchup.

oogamania

Smash Cadet
NNID
oogaman
http://www.twitch.tv/becca_draws/b/664324328

I entered a tournament this weekend, my first Smash 4 tournament and my first tournament period in the last 6 years. I start out the video, I'm using the default DH skin. You can see my final pools games - against another DH main. You can see me again vs Sheik and again against the same DH main as before starting around 2:04:00.

The stream gets a little choppy at some points but it's the only video I have at the moment. Any and all critique is helpful, I hate the ditto matchup.
After watching this choppy stream, I can see why u hate the DHD dittos, but I LOVE me sum dittos! Regardlless of wins and losses, I think you and the other DHD main are fairly even in the aggression and projectile game.

I noticed u struggled in the shiek MU, but DHD can give shiek a run for her cans on BF. U can get very creative on that stage, similarly to T and C. I'll never try any rouge FAIRS or NAIRS on BF, instead just throw out cans. Shiek can easily GIMP DHD even if the SD didn't happen. Also, I hate halberd....

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
After watching this choppy stream, I can see why u hate the DHD dittos, but I LOVE me sum dittos! Regardlless of wins and losses, I think you and the other DHD main are fairly even in the aggression and projectile game.

I noticed u struggled in the shiek MU, but DHD can give shiek a run for her cans on BF. U can get very creative on that stage, similarly to T and C. I'll never try any rouge FAIRS or NAIRS on BF, instead just throw out cans. Shiek can easily GIMP DHD even if the SD didn't happen. Also, I hate halberd....
Thanks I never play any decent Sheiks.

I felt that the other DHD (Sear) was a bit more defensive than I was so that's probably why I got 2-1ed in bracket. After Halberd killed me at 0% I was kinda on tilt the rest of the set.

I wish my other games were streamed because I was fairly proud of those wins, there was so much character representation at this tournament.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Does anyone have a video showcasing good uses of Zig-Zag can? Ever since I've entered a customs environment, I was far too used to default can and was too attached to it, and as such I've been playing Duck Hunt a bit less often and I haven't been around here in awhile. This weekend, I'm gonna play on Anther's ladder a bit and get some videos for critique.
You could watch the vgbc twitch past custom broadcasts, their YT is 3 custom tournaments behind unfortunately. Dunno when they're going up.

Last edited:

oogamania

Smash Cadet
NNID
oogaman
Bruh...I got completely destroyed by my, personally worst MU's on two separate occasions.

This is a ness main that uses C.Falcon as his secondary. https://youtu.be/fnvYROwCDs4

And this is a Custom DK that just Up B'd me to no end on Smash ladder... https://youtu.be/FXwqXCulues
I was able to beat 'em, but the damage was already done to me mentally... https://youtu.be/zqWlWsPGCd4

Has anyone been in these situations or know any way to combat this as DHD? I wanted to post this on the MU thread, but they're discussing other MU's atm.

EDIT: I just heard that the latest patch just nerfed the heck out of Falcon, so these matches were pre-patch, however not much was done on DK...

Last edited:

arf

Smash Rookie
@ oogamania oogamania I have a friend I fight against regularly whose Cap plays pretty much like the one you were fighting. Clay Pigeons and fairs/bairs are gonna be your best friends against him, but a lot of the time, I feel like slowing yourself down and being patient helps out a lot. Cap is all about that hype train, you've gotta play the wait-and-bait game with 'em. Gunmen aren't so great against him though, as he's fast enough to dash into them while you're still setting them up. Can is pretty viable, especially if you can sourspot-dash to reverse its direction and chase him down with it.

As for DK, Dong Cyclone isn't really exclusive to beating up DH. BKG has a video that goes into it a bit if you wanna look at it.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Custom DH destroys Custom DK... Though custom DHD is pretty much impossible to play on wifi whereas custom DK gets away with murder on there essentially. Just buffer the whole match...

Here's me vs Average Joe from Xanadu. You can find my other custom matches on VGBC and Tantalus' channel. Think the only tournament not uploaded now is the one I won with custom DHD 2 weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxqYaAx9KDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JftV8e6NzU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK4gPLdXyG8

The only characters custom DHD loses to are those with good dash grabs and reasons to dash grab. (Luigi, sonic, falcon, etc)

Sheik, Fox, and Pikachu are very scary and possibly uneven but not as much as the other MUs.

Last edited:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Heey! A video from my last tournament just came out! Any commentary on it would be great!

Vs. 8va:4sonic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxKqbZ7jrxc

I had done alright against two previous Sonics in bracket, but 8va's on a whooole other level. I was really nervous during most of this...

Vs. Strawhatter:4ganondorf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njmP2gp93SM

I was pretty confident going into this, and that was my first mistake. I had played Strawhatter at our local weeklies before and won in all of our games, but here it was a different story. He had won a lot of his games before through Ganoncides and I didn't wanna be another statistic there! That first game I was terrified of the down-tilt and the up-tilt, so I missed the platform and the ledge entirely.

I felt like a dang fool.

From there I kept forward smashing at the ledge. It was weird I won that set, considering I was playing pretty badly. Hoo boy.

Last edited:

Croi

Smash Lord
Atlantic Canada had one of the biggest tournaments of the year last weekend. I came second in doubles, but I won singles! I went mostly Lucario in singles and mostly Duck Hunt in doubles, but it was Duck Hunt that clutched Grand Finals for me.

Doubles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDnU5IB2BJw :4megaman: :4villager: We dropped the soap game 1, but brought it back and demolished them game 3. If you only watch one doubles video, watch this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ipPN_yD8pQ :4pikachu: :4gaw: Game 3 only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T3empj84nk :4pikachu: :4gaw: Game 1 only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZqWARnTRvw :4dk: :4ganondorf: Games 1 and 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS_BSIzO7VA :4ryu: :4robinf: Loser's Finals. Game 1 only. It was a bit of a ****-show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSNveDDa_Ek :4dk: :4ganondorf: Grand Finals. Game 2 only. Customs suck :/

Singles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YjYyHOmCgA :4rob: Game 2 only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-bQd998pUk :4kirby: Grand Finals. Games 4 and 5 only. Turned out to be a good idea to swap out! Kirby is hard as hell to hit and I had to fight every urge to whip out the clay pigeon more often since it'll more often than not sail right over his head, but the Can has no such problem.

I had been practicing Duck Hunt more often than Lucario in preparation for this tournament, and he pulled it out for me when I needed it most. I dunno if I want to swap mains and call DH my primary and Lucario my secondary - I felt I performed way better with Dog than Dog With Hips, but I have more experience with Lucario. Critiques appreciated!

Last edited:

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Hey guys, remember that Kevin Lucario guy that uploaded my above vid around 2-3 months back? Well, he's back with a twofer starring me, and this time, I'm in my main habitat in FG: Teams! :D

While the dog may not have the greatest of times in singles, I certainly believe he's better in teams... so long as you don't turn on friendly fire, at least. >.>
Despite that, here's some more of my aggressive rushdown doggie, and also this time, I'm helping my partners break into campsites. :> While neither of my partners were :4dedede:, the likes of :4feroy: & :4ryu: certainly appreciate the dog's ability to traverse through fortified campsites, that's for sure.

I may not understand French, but I can at least recognize that he's praising my aggro rushdown doggie with the word perfection in the description. I think he might be a fan of me, for he's also posted a FG FFA match where I was :4charizard: and NOT spamming Flare Blitzes.... :shiro:

Now if only he could host a vid featuring my :4ludwig:...

Last edited:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Hey guys, so I just got back from a pretty big tournament down in Edinburgh. Out of 62 entrants I came out 14th. Not a bad placing, but I was aiming for slightly higher. Anyway, this was the only set I got recorded so please, give it a watch and be brutally honest. What do you think I should work on?

:4duckhunt:Muppet Vs. 8va:4sonic:
http://www.twitch.tv/rushdownedinburgh/v/8506151
Cheers!

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Also, shout outs to 8va himself. A really sound guy!

Last edited:

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Funny enough, I just watched that video right after I watched your match against 8va from a couple weeks ago as it was on my YouTube feed, haha. Unfortunately, I don't really have any tips to give as I don't have experience against Sonic at all as no one in my area plays him. I did like how well you adapted on the second stock of the second game though. Like the commentators said, I feel like you were rushing to get the kill but once you realized that, you started to get really tactical and cover your approaches with your projectiles to get the kill. From 6:45 on, you played that stock extremely well. That dash attack into the can and then pinging it to return the diagonal trajectory to cover that landing option was fantastic. Even more so with the fsmash covering more options! I'm also adoring your use of the utilt with the can. Prior to the match, I didn't know that it sent it right on the Town & City platform during the 3 platform formation. I gotta keep that in mind next time.

That SD was quite unfortunate though ): I'm glad it didn't shake you up too much on the second game.

EDIT: I'm currently uploading a match of my own against my brother. We're not fantastic players by any means and me being far and away the best player in my locale really is a double edged sword as it's much harder to see what I'm doing wrong by just playing the game, but hopefully the battle itself will be interesting once it's done uploading. There were a couple obvious mistakes that I'll definitely point out when I link the video, but other than that, pointers from the rest of the pack will be quite nice as I've only had the Wii U version for a week now and I'm extremely excited to start improving my game so I can go to tournaments once I move to the North East coast of the US next month.

Last edited:
Top Bottom