• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "The Dog Show" - Duck Hunt Video Thread

Pyro-is-Magic

Smash Cadet
Recent tournament of MVD getting 2nd place at Tampa Never Sleeps. Appararently I also can't post the link becuase I haven't made 10 posts yet sadly. So if someone else could post it that would be appreciated.

Matches @ 5:20 and 38:30
[Also can someone upload them to youtube b4 the VOD is deleted please?]

Also if someone could post Dunnobro's recent Xanadu mathces that would be cool too.

EDIT:Tampa Never Sleeps! 2-21-2015 LIVE from Tampa Florida! Feat. Sm4sh, UMVC3, USFIV and GG: Xrd!!! @ Batlles Buddies Gaming Twitch

MVD matches @ 5:20 and 38:30

EDIT 2: http://www.twitch.tv/battlebuddiesgaming/v/3819513

EDIT 3: O Boy the triple Edit, Finally got the YT Vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMU2uJHCnog&app=desktop

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I'd love some thoughts on my gameplay if you have time, I'll do the same for you just let me know:

Vs Neos(Rosalina): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIdEFjo58CM
Vs Player 1(Diddy): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwekOKPPWz0
Vs Fatality(Falcon) friendlies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0neGWPD4_g#t=130

Real quick cause I don't have much time, and I'm not an authority on this character of ours, but I at least have some thoughts from watching the Rosalina and Diddy matches

I love your can awareness. A lot of the time its clear you know exactly where your can is and what direction it's gonna go. This is really evident in how you cover two directions at once. I get one-tracked sometimes and I gotta work on it. some of the combos you were nailing off cansplosions were nice.

You did what you could with the Rosalina, though it looks like (take it with a grain of salt) there were opportunities to turn it up and go aggressive, especially under the cover of gunmen while she was GPing. Maybe more grabs, since we were at least blessed with a decent grab game. Yin that Yang.

I'm sure smarter and better players than me can make much better comments, but that's what I got off a first look.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Yes link me & I'll critique your stuff too. It's just so we both or anyone who wants tips can improve.
:rosalina:
Game 1
  • 0:00-0:47 You were sitting there camping in hopes of stopping her with projectiles, shooting them while standing still. Why not advance towards her with shorthops then shoot your projectiles?
  • 1:16 Using the can to aid your recovery wasn't a bad idea, but you should've went for the ledge instead of going overhead, you got punished on landing.
  • 1:23 You could've tossed out a clay pigeon as you landed. Immediately when you grabbed her and used Dthrow, follow up the Dthrow by shooting a can or trying to hit her with Uair for pressure. After throwing her, you didn't do anything to harass her.
  • 1:29 You seem pretty keen on zoning her out and you were standing still once again. Considering how slow his projectiles are, I think you should try being a little more aggressive and advance towards her while shooting them, not running away. Especially against someone like Rosalina who can just absorb them all
  • 1:39 A gunmen in a shorhop, that's what I like to see
  • 1:40-1:50 For most of this sequence, you went back to standing still
  • 1:55 Perfect opportunity to grab her, you didn't go for it. You also did a random Usmash when she wasn't close enough.... why?
  • 2:07 Personally instead of shooting a can like that, I would have done a Nair when she's so close to me like that. Maybe that would've saved you from being killed
  • 2:21 Again, I think using Nair would've gotten you out of that instead of the can (with more knockback), since she was too close for it to be safe. You'd suffer a lot of landing lag, but its worth it if it hits.
  • 2:30-2:43 This sequence was kinda sloppy. Afterwards she died from a can you fired and got stagespiked. I guess that was pretty good, but you're also lucky she didn't tech it, so I wouldn't rely on that. Just sayin.
  • 2:49 You airdodged into the ground after jumping and suffered massive landing lag, bad idea. After she launched you in the air with Uair, she apparently read your airdodge and hit you with another one. Maybe this hints you have a problem with air dodging? Just something to take note of, I have a bad habit of air dodging myself, I admit
  • 2:58 Shooting a can from the ledge wouldn't be a bad idea against someone else, but do remember you're fighting Rosalina here. You probably could have just ledge jumped and did a Fair to punish her GP though.
  • 3:03 Fthrow true combos into dash attack or Fair at that percent, RAR Bair and Clay Pigeon aren't guaranteed but they work too. You could've done after Fthrowing, but didn't. Might wanna practice that.
  • 3:19 Good job with the air pressure from that can, like what you did there
  • 3:57 You should've tried hitting her with Fair after the clay pigeon. Not too big a deal, but I thought I'd point it out.
Game 2
  • 4:43 You counterpicked Castle Siege?........ Why? That's a terrible stage for Duck Hunt, probably his worst one besides his own stage due to the bad transformations that don't really benefit him much.
  • 5:15-5:24 You had a good attempt at making hell for her at the ledge, but she kinda started coming back afterwards. I still think you are being too passive with your projectiles and waiting for her to come 2 u.
  • 5:37-5:58 See what I mean? Your projectiles hardly did a thing to her and you were still trying to camp. And with this transformation being so huge, its not really doing you any favors.
  • Pretty good pressure on her afterwards until the 3rd transformation came, though I think she was mistiming her GP a little and might not have worked otherwise.
  • 6:30 I'm noticing here that you seem to enjoy rolling a little bit, you did quite a few times in the first game and its clicking into me now. Might not have been the best idea here.
  • 6:43 What!? How did that up air hit you? She was clearly right above you and she was not that close, and I have no idea what went wrong there.
  • 6:50 Gunman then a forward air. Good bait
  • 6:57 Had she read your air dodges, you could have been punished for doing that 2 times in a row, don't be so predictable with them. Again, this reminds m I gotta stop doing that too though.
  • 7:00 Good ledge pressure, and your can killed here. Nice......
  • 7:23 Your air dodging got you punished this time.
  • 7:38 I still think you're standing still too much when shooting your projectiles. Duck Hunt's projectiles are painfully slow, its not the same as playing someone like Link or Villager where you camp people out so easily. And when she's that close, you're making it even less safe and she got in without much trouble at all.
  • 7:42 Bad ledge attack got cha' killed and cost you the game.
:4diddy:
Game 1
  • First 25 seconds, you were still running away trying to camp him. I mean, it's better than just sitting there, but I think you shoul try moving towards your opponent for once, not away from him.
  • 0:41 I felt that was kinda lucky, but great. First time I've seen you use Nair like at all (you technicaly did use it a few seconds before, but he was completely out of range) though.
  • Up until 1:47, this whole sequence of yours was golden. Good job with the platform pressure and everything, you actually went a little aggressively this time.
  • 2:10 Air Dodging into the platform was not a good idea. Especially not against someone like Diddy, whose Uair hits like a truck.
  • 2:46 After your death, you went back to the defense again.
  • 3:11 Hoo! Hah!
  • 3:29 Kinda got lucky again, but good thing it happened
  • 3:56 Too bad about your recovery, though shooting that can was a good attempt.

Overall

• You seem to get kind of lucky sometimes. Its great they happened but I'd just say not to rely on it.
  • You barely use the following moves at all: Nair, Jab (or at least the rapid jab, I don't recall you using it even once), Dtilt (except when hitting the can), Dair, and Bair. Make a little more use of them next time, Nair OoS and SHFF Bair in particular are good kill moves that you should give more attention too.
  • You seem to panic a little when in the air and get air dodge happy
  • Fthrow > Fair/Dash attack is a true combo at low percents, and clay pigeon/rar bair is also great. Implement that into your game.
  • The thing you need to work on most, imo, is your mobility and aggression, you tend to stand still when using your projectiles without harassing them. As I've stated before, Duck Hunt's projectiles are pretty slow and not that effective for camping tbh unless you're fighting somebody who is heavy or has terrible approach options, and neither of your opponents' characters fall in that category. When shooting your projectiles, you wanna learn to utilize them for approaching your opponents yourself and creating pressure on them to force them to react. Shorthopping towards your opponent while using Clay Pigeons and Gunmen are good ways to add pressure to your opponents and a good approach option. Jumping to your enemy with a can being shot or foxtrotting with a can being shot is an amazing approach option and adds even more pressure, since it gives your opponents two things to worry about: You coming after them yourself, and having an active hitbox flying over or to them alongside you,, which also gives them less time to think and force them to react stupidly. If you were to utilize your projectiles for more approaching them yourself and making pressure instead of just trying to keep them at bay, you'd start to make hell for your opponents.
Personally when I play Duck Hunt, I prefer aggression to defense and find him more effective that way. Admittedly, I was playing pretty defensively in my own videos, but those were mostly because I was using the Mega Gunmen customs for some of the fights and because one of my opponents was :4luigi:, a character who sucks at approaching in general and can't really deal with projectiles. Speaking of which, I'm still open for your criticism on my videos whenever ya got the time. If you have anything to say about my gameplay, plz lay it on me.

And with that, good games

Last edited:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Real quick cause I don't have much time, and I'm not an authority on this character of ours, but I at least have some thoughts from watching the Rosalina and Diddy matches

I love your can awareness. A lot of the time its clear you know exactly where your can is and what direction it's gonna go. This is really evident in how you cover two directions at once. I get one-tracked sometimes and I gotta work on it. some of the combos you were nailing off cansplosions were nice.

You did what you could with the Rosalina, though it looks like (take it with a grain of salt) there were opportunities to turn it up and go aggressive, especially under the cover of gunmen while she was GPing. Maybe more grabs, since we were at least blessed with a decent grab game. Yin that Yang.
Thank you so much for that insight, it really helped me out. I will do my best to take in what you say & apply it to my game, thank you. I will try to be more aggressive & mix things up more.
:rosalina:
Game 1
  • 0:00-0:47 You were sitting there camping in hopes of stopping her with projectiles, shooting them while standing still. Why not advance towards her with shorthops then shoot your projectiles?
  • 1:16 Using the can to aid your recovery wasn't a bad idea, but you should've went for the ledge instead of going overhead, you got punished on landing.
  • 1:23 You could've tossed out a clay pigeon as you landed. Immediately when you grabbed her and used Dthrow, follow up the Dthrow by shooting a can or trying to hit her with Uair for pressure. After throwing her, you didn't do anything to harass her.
  • 1:29 You seem pretty keen on zoning her out and you were standing still once again. Considering how slow his projectiles are, I think you should try being a little more aggressive and advance towards her while shooting them, not running away. Especially against someone like Rosalina who can just absorb them all
  • 1:39 A gunmen in a shorhop, that's what I like to see
  • 1:40-1:50 For most of this sequence, you went back to standing still
  • 1:55 Perfect opportunity to grab her, you didn't go for it. You also did a random Usmash when she wasn't close enough.... why?
  • 2:07 Personally instead of shooting a can like that, I would have done a Nair when she's so close to me like that. Maybe that would've saved you from being killed
  • 2:21 Again, I think using Nair would've gotten you out of that instead of the can (with more knockback), since she was too close for it to be safe. You'd suffer a lot of landing lag, but its worth it if it hits.
  • 2:30-2:43 This sequence was kinda sloppy. Afterwards she died from a can you fired and got stagespiked. I guess that was pretty good, but you're also lucky she didn't tech it, so I wouldn't rely on that. Just sayin.
  • 2:49 You airdodged into the ground after jumping and suffered massive landing lag, bad idea. After she launched you in the air with Uair, she apparently read your airdodge and hit you with another one. Maybe this hints you have a problem with air dodging? Just something to take note of, I have a bad habit of air dodging myself, I admit
  • 2:58 Shooting a can from the ledge wouldn't be a bad idea against someone else, but do remember you're fighting Rosalina here. You probably could have just ledge jumped and did a Fair to punish her GP though.
  • 3:03 Fthrow true combos into dash attack or Fair at that percent, RAR Bair and Clay Pigeon aren't guaranteed but they work too. You could've done after Fthrowing, but didn't. Might wanna practice that.
  • 3:19 Good job with the air pressure from that can, like what you did there
  • 3:57 You should've tried hitting her with Fair after the clay pigeon. Not too big a deal, but I thought I'd point it out.
Game 2
  • 4:43 You counterpicked Castle Siege?........ Why? That's a terrible stage for Duck Hunt, probably his worst one besides his own stage due to the bad transformations that don't really benefit him much.
  • 5:15-5:24 You had a good attempt at making hell for her at the ledge, but she kinda started coming back afterwards. I still think you are being too passive with your projectiles and waiting for her to come 2 u.
  • 5:37-5:58 See what I mean? Your projectiles hardly did a thing to her and you were still trying to camp. And with this transformation being so huge, its not really doing you any favors.
  • Pretty good pressure on her afterwards until the 3rd transformation came, though I think she was mistiming her GP a little and might not have worked otherwise.
  • 6:30 I'm noticing here that you seem to enjoy rolling a little bit, you did quite a few times in the first game and its clicking into me now. Might not have been the best idea here.
  • 6:43 What!? How did that up air hit you? She was clearly right above you and she was not that close, and I have no idea what went wrong there.
  • 6:50 Gunman then a forward air. Good bait
  • 6:57 Had she read your air dodges, you could have been punished for doing that 2 times in a row, don't be so predictable with them. Again, this reminds m I gotta stop doing that too though.
  • 7:00 Good ledge pressure, and your can killed here. Nice......
  • 7:23 Your air dodging got you punished this time.
  • 7:38 I still think you're standing still too much when shooting your projectiles. Duck Hunt's projectiles are painfully slow, its not the same as playing someone like Link or Villager where you camp people out so easily. And when she's that close, you're making it even less safe and she got in without much trouble at all.
  • 7:42 Bad ledge attack got cha' killed and cost you the game.
:4diddy:
Game 1
  • First 25 seconds, you were still running away trying to camp him. I mean, it's better than just sitting there, but I think you shoul try moving towards your opponent for once, not away from him.
  • 0:41 I felt that was kinda lucky, but great. First time I've seen you use Nair like at all (you technicaly did use it a few seconds before, but he was completely out of range) though.
  • Up until 1:47, this whole sequence of yours was golden. Good job with the platform pressure and everything, you actually went a little aggressively this time.
  • 2:10 Air Dodging into the platform was not a good idea. Especially not against someone like Diddy, whose Uair hits like a truck.
  • 2:46 After your death, you went back to the defense again.
  • 3:11 Hoo! Hah!
  • 3:29 Kinda got lucky again, but good thing it happened
  • 3:56 Too bad about your recovery, though shooting that can was a good attempt.

Overall

• You seem to get kind of lucky sometimes. Its great they happened but I'd just say not to rely on it.
  • You barely use the following moves at all: Nair, Jab (or at least the rapid jab, I don't recall you using it even once), Dtilt (except when hitting the can), Dair, and Bair. Make a little more use of them next time, Nair OoS and SHFF Bair in particular are good kill moves that you should give more attention too.
  • You seem to panic a little when in the air and get air dodge happy
  • Fthrow > Fair/Dash attack is a true combo at low percents, and clay pigeon/rar bair is also great. Implement that into your game.
  • The thing you need to work on most, imo, is your mobility and aggression, you tend to stand still when using your projectiles without harassing them. As I've stated before, Duck Hunt's projectiles are pretty slow and not that effective for camping tbh unless you're fighting somebody who is heavy or has terrible approach options, and neither of your opponents' characters fall in that category. When shooting your projectiles, you wanna learn to utilize them for approaching your opponents yourself and creating pressure on them to force them to react. Shorthopping towards your opponent while using Clay Pigeons and Gunmen are good ways to add pressure to your opponents and a good approach option. Jumping to your enemy with a can being shot or foxtrotting with a can being shot is an amazing approach option and adds even more pressure, since it gives your opponents two things to worry about: You coming after them yourself, and having an active hitbox flying over or to them alongside you,, which also gives them less time to think and force them to react stupidly. If you were to utilize your projectiles for more approaching them yourself and making pressure instead of just trying to keep them at bay, you'd start to make hell for your opponents.
Personally when I play Duck Hunt, I prefer aggression to defense and find him more effective that way. Admittedly, I was playing pretty defensively in my own videos, but those were mostly because I was using the Mega Gunmen customs for some of the fights and because one of my opponents was :4luigi:, a character who sucks at approaching in general and can't really deal with projectiles. Speaking of which, I'm still open for your criticism on my videos whenever ya got the time. If you have anything to say about my gameplay, plz lay it on me.

And with that, good games
Thank you so much! This was super detailed & better than I even imagined. I will strive to implement everything you mentioned about the move choices I do & being more aggressive with the projectiles. I will be sure to check out your videos tomorrow & let you know. As far as choosing Castle Siege, MVD beat Dabuz on that stage & I wanted to channel the inner MVD & try the stage for myself.

Last edited:

LaserLockOn

Smash Rookie
I've been recently learning how to play Duck Hunt for awhile, could any of you guys drop some feedback for me? I don't really play in tournaments, these are just battles from online. I main Kirby (obviously), but Duck Hunt is a pretty fun alternative. This is also my first video recorded with my new capture card!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPkEGtnqLY

Last edited:

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
I've been recently learning how to play Duck Hunt for awhile, could any of you guys drop some feedback for me? I don't really play in tournaments, these are just battles from online. I main Kirby (obviously), but Duck Hunt is a pretty fun alternative. This is also my first video recorded with my new capture card!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPkEGtnqLY
Solid performance with him. Nothing particular wrong in it. Just a couple things I want to mention.

First: I like your use of tilts as an attack. A lot of duck hunt players forget that the tilts are goods for attacks and not just for manipulating the can.

Second: In the yoshi match I saw that you were hesitant on using gunmen. The gunmen really help in shutting down yoshi's rush down wants. Use them more on opportune moments and yoshi will have to play more patiently. Also Neutral air has better priority on most of yoshi's air moves so try to follow up with it more.

That's all I can think of. Again, solid performance.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Moved over to SmashLadder.com and got away from the dreaded For Glory, some of my first few games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXXfdEc9g0E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8t12tWY_sM

And some tournament set I had streamed: http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/c/5953871 My game is at 3:52 under the name Funkermonster

Looking to improve my DHD once again, any criticism helps, positive or negative.
I watched the 2nd video. I tried watching the stream but the time stamp was incorrect & I didn't see where you were playing DHD unless you were just Sheik. I'll get to the 1st video later.

Overall, I do like your projectile game, I think you too could be more mobile with your items and move around after you can. Go for more Down-B approaches like a grab or attack or just to advance your stage positioning. I see you do down-b to can a lot, so mix it up. I also think you could benefit from playing better players, so try to find the best players in your region & practice vs them as much as you can offline. It seems like you have a good understanding of DHD's projectiles, but your mix ups with approaching as well as utilizing all of his moveset could use some work IMO. The reason I go for Down-Throws is cuz MVD said it's a good conditioning tool if you fair after cuz eventually they might airdodge which would lead to a fsmash kill. I'd also say to continue working on your neutral game and utilizing all of his approaches & jab/pressure game, but other than that I think you are on the right track! Sorry for not having the time stamps, I'm just better at analyzing the full game.

oogamania

Smash Cadet
NNID
oogaman
http://youtu.be/z5qIXIyjjMg?t=11m15s - These last two matches feature mah dawg vs another Duckhunt main DunnoBro for thre first tyme and a random Lil Mac main. By the way, music was added because Youtube has a weird music copyright thingamijig.

http://youtu.be/jUzz1oHrfWU - These matches are against a player named Gustavo whom has a pretty sick Bowser. His JigglyPuff, on the other hand had a hard tyme and quite frankly, I don't think Jiggs has much of a chance against cans floating in her space.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND5ZDbHmtSs - :4rob: I prefer Duck Hunt for this MU, but then my opponent got coached on the MU so I switched to throw him off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHxtLNQjLMw - :4dk: This guy called a double blind on me, and while I feel I'm better with Lucario, this guy just straight up hates Duck Hunt, so I went him first. Turned out to be a good call!
Wow... color me impressed! You're literally one of the most impressive dawgs I've seen yet, you play Duck Hunt damn well man, and I oughta learn somethin' from that set. Your play kinda reminds me of mine, but better! I don't even play Lucario, and I stuck around to watch yours anyway and I'm still impressed. You got any other gameplay footage?

Last edited:

Croi

Smash Lord
Wow... color me impressed! You're literally one of the most impressive dawgs I've seen yet, you play Duck Hunt damn well man, and I oughta learn somethin' from that set. Your play kinda reminds me of mine, but better! I don't even play Lucario, and I stuck around to watch yours anyway and I'm still impressed. You got any other gameplay footage?
All of my footage is on the SmashBrosNovaScotia channel, just search for my name. Some of my recent Duck Hunt highlights include https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gde90uVZltw :4robinf: :4marth: and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXCMIA9TIA :4rob:

oogamania

Smash Cadet
NNID
oogaman

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
skimming through the videos. still amused when people are shocked by backcanning. XD

Edit: @ Croi Croi Homie, that option coverage on the ROB was hot. Me likes a lot.

Last edited:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Last night I had a few games at our weekly smash scene against a whole buncha different people... and they all got recorded! So now I can watch myself flump around like a ga-hoof! Anyway...

Vs :4tlink: Yackabean
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuMpyusGRR0

Vs :4yoshi: PidgeY

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL3a7-ndlmQ
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyAs-RM7BEc

Vs :4falcon:Davbo

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9jw8TYnBOY

Vs :4lucina:/:4robinf: Drayden (He still owes me a drink!)

Beer Match - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gehitOLhoSc

Feedback/criticism/scorn (whoa!) is sorely needed! I ain't a fantastic Dog/Duck, but I wanna get better!

Last edited:

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
@ falln falln
Really good video and great Duck Hunt! I would love to see more videos on him. I love your use of the Short hop aerials and RAR specials.

Tetz

Smash Cadet
NNID
tetzyeah
Oh my god, that's the fastest and most aggressive DHD I've ever seen. Literally rushed-down the Sonic.
Yeah, brood is amazing. There are some more matches of him, I might as well post them for you guys
vs. :4zss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz-2Ss7vG3c
vs. :4tlink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EObG3c1Shss
vs.:4sheik:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEpNmZAKj-0
vs.:4bowser:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etvrq4AXBy8 (my personal favourite)
vs. :4pacman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMj4JMFtX8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bZAGYv6-uM

That's all I can think of atm. There might be more, but those are the most recent (and Wii U of course)
His aggression is amazing. I have been kinda learning this playstyle now and I can tell you: This works.
Brood proves that an aggressive Duck Hunt can do really well (He got in Losers Final of big Tournaments etc.)
To learn this, I would suggest you to play without any B's against decent players.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Wow! This Duck Hunt is gorgeous!! And Yea I find it easier to practice with less specials. Gives you a better feel for the tilts and aerials.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
And I thought my DH was aggressive *locks self in lab*. I love the use of the Fairs and Nairs.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, brood is amazing. There are some more matches of him, I might as well post them for you guys
vs. :4zss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz-2Ss7vG3c
vs. :4tlink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EObG3c1Shss
vs.:4sheik:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEpNmZAKj-0
vs.:4bowser:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etvrq4AXBy8 (my personal favourite)
vs. :4pacman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMj4JMFtX8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bZAGYv6-uM

That's all I can think of atm. There might be more, but those are the most recent (and Wii U of course)
His aggression is amazing. I have been kinda learning this playstyle now and I can tell you: This works.
Brood proves that an aggressive Duck Hunt can do really well (He got in Losers Final of big Tournaments etc.)
To learn this, I would suggest you to play without any B's against decent players.
A..M..A..Z..I..N..G!!! I had always suspected that DH can hold his own against the top fighters & Brood proves it. And it will be interesting to see how far DH meta game will develop with the advent of customs - and when I mention customs I'm pretty much thinking of his Zigzag Shot.

Last edited:

poo-gas

Smash Cadet
NNID
loudgreenpanda
3DS FC
1006-0775-5283
Here are some replays of mine would love some critique on my play

Here is a friendly match between me (duck hunt) and a friend of mine (Lucina main) https://youtu.be/7nUeBP7_ECs

For Glory against a little mac, https://youtu.be/RpVrgWlPU6o
i feel I did well against him

Then i got rekd by this guy
https://youtu.be/lgqk2FZjqak
Im not really sure how i can improve against a C.Falcon that stays on my like this.
Sorry about the quality the best i can do is record my tv from my phone, ill re-upload these when i get a chance closer to the tv.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239

Here is a friendly match between me (duck hunt) and a friend of mine (Lucina main) https://youtu.be/7nUeBP7_ECs

Im not really sure how i can improve against a C.Falcon that stays on my like this.
Sorry about the quality the best i can do is record my tv from my phone, ill re-upload these when i get a chance closer to the tv.
Hmmm... Right off the bat, I can say you roll an awful lot. Traversing the stage through rolling isn't great, because it soon becomes easy fer opponents to punish you as soon as you become open. Just try a couple of matches running around a whole lot more and it'll be harder for someone to catch you. Which brings me to my next point...

Standing still. You stay still quite a bit while cans and whatnot are active. This can lead to C. Falcon or other rushdown characters to charge in, ignore projectiles coming their way and go for a grab or dash attack. Obviously this just depends on whether or not you prefer to play a defensive Duck Hunt or a more offensive one, but I like to move in while the can or other traps are in play. More often than not, the opponent shields or jumps and this can lead to a nice grab or aerial from you as a result.

In terms of general advice against Falcon, I say just keep moving and throwing out stuff in his way. Also if you're hit off stage and you're recovering low, spawning a can before you hit 'Up-B' and spamming 'B' is a good way of protecting yourself from Falcons spike. Ideally you want it in line with you, but that can be quite difficult to pull off in the heat of the battle. Another good way of protecting yourself while you recover low is spawning a gunmen back towards the stage. Getting the timing is slightly weird at first, but it should deter people from heading offstage to deck you.

Also, watch out for shielding on Lucina's 'Shieldbreaker'. My flatmate plays Lucina and I have fallen prey to that dang Shieldbreaker many a time!

I like your aerial shenanigans in the Little Mac game. That worked well!

That's pretty much all I got. Hope I helped in some way!

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Thanks so much! I really appreciate support, especially from people on Smashboards =]]]
You didn't see any issues? =o
Idk, overall you have a really good Duck Hunt. The only things I can suggest would be to minimize the use of the clay pigeon in up close situations, it may be safer to throw out a pivot tilt or well space Bar/Fair. If the opponent perfect shields the clay pigeon up close ,because it is so laggy, they will be able to punish you. The other suggestion isn't a need, but it may help in the neutral game or help keep stage control. It is in regards to the can and what you are able to do with it. You can Bair, sour spot Dash Attack into it to change the direction it pops when you pop it up. The same direction you hit the can is the same direction it will pop up. More details on can tricks here --> http://smashboards.com/threads/fun-and-games-with-cans.376053/
Other than that , your Duck Hunt is great. :)

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman

The best advice I could give TheWorstMuppet has already said, but I'll reiterate the most important points:
  • Stay mobile, the best part of DHD is that you can use projectiles on the move, go for grabs, dash attacks, fairs, bairs, doesn't matter, all while pressuring them with projectiles. DHD's projectiles are slow, so even if you want to play a defensive DHD, you've got to get in there a reasonable amount. Against the Falcon, he was punishing your more offensive options with side-smashes, but recognise that what he's doing is super punishable if you can recoginise when he does it.
  • Roll less, it's decent for spacing, but as a mobility option, it's better to go with a less punishable option like dashing or short hops.
And here's a piece of advice that TheWorstMuppet didn't say:
  • Use all projectiles in conjunction instead of one at a time, short hop forward can -> gunman is a fantastic option, because you're staying mobile, the gunman will shoot the can and covering you, so both you and the can are providing presure against the opponent, just make sure not to blow yourself up. Clay pigeon often gets in the way of the can or gets shot by the gunman, so that's probably the best as a stand-alone projectile, but use it when you want to continue applying pressure but none of your other attacks will reach, and when punishing rolls.
  • Follow up forward-throw with a dash attack or fair at low percentages, if you get the dash attack then that be continued in to a uair, easy combo, not guarenteed, but it works.

Top Bottom