• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
All I want is the guarantee that if the first or second shot of the smash attack hits, it goes on to the third.
That.... and the ability to cancel his Up+B move... like, being able to attack with the duck when you press the A button in middle of his Up+B...

Spirst

That.... and the ability to cancel his Up+B move... like, being able to attack with the duck when you press the A button in middle of his Up+B...
Or at least reliable smashes, dear god. I hate landing it only for them to be pushed back too far for the last reticle to hit.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I feel like there is less ending lag on DHD's fair in 1.0.4. Not sure if placebo or not, though.

Someone said that smashes link together more, but I don't really have a way to test that against opponents that can vector lol.

Spirst

I feel like there is less ending lag on DHD's fair in 1.0.4. Not sure if placebo or not, though.

Someone said that smashes link together more, but I don't really have a way to test that against opponents that can vector lol.
Nope to both. Nothing was really changed about Duck Hunt including both the fair cooldown and the smash reliability.

PF9

Smash Lord
You know, the Duck Hunt Dog tends to laugh at others' misfortunes. Another fictional dog, Muttley, was known for that. Do you think Duck Hunt got that from there?

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
You know, the Duck Hunt Dog tends to laugh at others' misfortunes. Another fictional dog, Muttley, was known for that. Do you think Duck Hunt got that from there?
I imagine the dog laughing in the original Duck Hunt was just put there to taunt the player, probably not based on anything.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Today I found out:
The dog in his 8bit glory appears as a trophy in the Wii U version.
Bonus points to those who guess what he does.

Mewtario

Smash Ace
Duck Hunt seriously has the greatest arsenal of taunts for online battles. Everything is covered, from nonchalance (up taunt) to being silly (down taunt) to rubbing your opponent's face in it or simply blinding them with rage (both can be done with a side taunt). No words spoken or typed, yet you can still convey a message that's sure to rile them up!

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I like how DHD stands on two legs and claps at the end of match. Very cute and only goes to further proves my claims that DHD can be bipedal or quadrupled when he feels like it.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Hey, random questions, but does anyone know what each alt color duck is based off of?
The duck species are based on the original Duck Hunt game and seem to be picked at random, since no known species match a lot of them, but here's my best guess.
1. Not sure, maybe a Pink-headed duck, no blue body, but pink headed. (Imagintive name, I know)
2. It was hard getting a name, but it seems to be a Hymenolaimus malacorhynchos, also known as a Blue Duck (Imaginative name, again) Pic that seems like it was taken in the 1800s: http://media.growsonyou.com/photos/blog_photo/image/90578/main/nz_Blue_Duck.jpg
3. No match, maybe Redhead Duck
4. Literally too many matches, tan ducks are common.
5. There are many green ducks, but most have a green head, not body. The black east indie duck is green but doesn't have a yellow head, so no match on that one.
6. More definitive than others, blue-headed mallards have a pretty good match.
7. Melanistic Mallard (Pic: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5044/5294872989_453f5d9b3b_b.jpg ) (Finally one that matches a species almost completely)
8. My best guess? Kazooie or Ferruginous Duck, though with the latter the colours are switched.
I can't get many scientific names, but people who name ducks aren't very imaginitve.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The duck species are based on the original Duck Hunt game and seem to be picked at random, since no known species match a lot of them, but here's my best guess.
1. Not sure, maybe a Pink-headed duck, no blue body, but pink headed. (Imagintive name, I know)
2. It was hard getting a name, but it seems to be a Hymenolaimus malacorhynchos, also known as a Blue Duck (Imaginative name, again) Pic that seems like it was taken in the 1800s: http://media.growsonyou.com/photos/blog_photo/image/90578/main/nz_Blue_Duck.jpg
3. No match, maybe Redhead Duck
4. Literally too many matches, tan ducks are common.
5. There are many green ducks, but most have a green head, not body. The black east indie duck is green but doesn't have a yellow head, so no match on that one.
6. More definitive than others, blue-headed mallards have a pretty good match.
7. Melanistic Mallard (Pic: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5044/5294872989_453f5d9b3b_b.jpg ) (Finally one that matches a species almost completely)
8. My best guess? Kazooie or Ferruginous Duck, though with the latter the colours are switched.
I can't get many scientific names, but people who name ducks aren't very imaginitve.
Actually, only 1, 7, and 8 appear in the original Duck Hunt. The rest are original to Smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I really wish we got Banjo-Kazooie too... it would be amazing to see a Banjo-Kazooie vs. Duck Hunt match.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
http://youtu.be/ueK_OIYLcg4

Pretty good remix...

Too bad the Duck Hunt stage would be banned. Or an odd counterpick. Those damn ducks ruin cans!

Out of curiosity, is there any reason you guys chose Duck Hunt as a main?

Mine would be for the history (love classic game reps), never played a "zoning" character before, he's very cute, and the idea of a trap character sounded fun.

...did I mention he's cute? He's very cute.

Spudboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
spudboy
Duck Hunt both fulfills my need for weird, offbeat characters and heavy projectile zoning. It almost feels like he was made specifically for me.

On the subject of the Duck Hunt stage, I find it kind of ironic that Duck Hunt is the character that seems to be most messed up by the ducks. They suck on their own stage!

Spirst

http://youtu.be/ueK_OIYLcg4

Pretty good remix...

Too bad the Duck Hunt stage would be banned. Or an odd counterpick. Those damn ducks ruin cans!

Mine would be for the history (love classic game reps), never played a "zoning" character before, he's very cute, and the idea of a trap character sounded fun.

The creativity of the character is what gets me alongside the history. I think Duck Hunt has the best facial expressions and reminds me so much of an old cartoon character. Gameplay-wise, like I said, it's the creativity. There's so many mix-ups you can do with the cans/clay pigeons/gunmen and each DH player uses them in a different ratio. With a number of other characters, there's more of a set playstyle but with Duck Hunt, it's more about how the player makes use of each tool.

Rosco

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2208-5202-8834
I'm surprised to be playing Duck Hunt as my main. I have been arguing for Little Mac inclusion since Melee really opened up the roster(MT's Punch-Out has long been my favorite game), yet I'm not using him nearly as much. Dog and Duck fit my preferred playstyle perfectly, and I like the feeling of playing what is essentially a Saturday Morning Cartoon character of a fighter.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
god why is this character so fun lol

i swear some japanese player is gonna show up at apex and win with duck hunt or something, i think he's actually really good since vectoring got removed.

every time i get a kill i turn to my opponent and do the snicker

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
why do people think that the duck hunt stage will be banned?

Also, I play Duck Hunt because he's really freaking adorable and he's really freaking fun.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman

Originally I was going to use Olimar, my Brawl main, but I really ended up disliking him in this game with him only having 3 Pikmin and his best alt not being there. Then I was going to use Dr. Mario, my Melee main, but Smash 4 isn't Melee and again, I didn't like how he played. Running out of options I looked at the roster, then remembered the Duck Hunt dog was in the game, me being a dog person decided to check him out and then saw that he had an alt that looked kind of like a dog of mine that passed away, at that point it was a done deal since I also enjoyed the way he played and enjoy the original Duck Hunt game, also I like ducks and the dog is cute, so y'know.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I'm definitely taking Duck Hunt as a secondary or tertiary main. Every time I play him I have a damn good time and I get a pretty good feel for his moves.

He'll probably take the spot of Pac-Man as my third main. I just can not get the hang of Pac-Man's play style. He's pretty fun to use but I feel like I'm always using the wrong move at the wrong time. Duck Hunt just feels right, and all of his moves feel like they are mapped to the buttons properly unlike Mega Man or Pac-Man. Just my opinion.

Plus Duck Hunt's moveset is full of cool retro goodness, and I'm a huge NES fan.

If I like him enough I might be able to dethrone :4wario2: or :4jigglypuff:

:4duckhunt:

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna be going to a local tournament for the Wii U version fairly soon, I'm probably gonna be using Duck Hunt Duo mainly, as well as some Wario and Dedede, so I'm hoping to bring back a win for the Duck Hunt community. This is my first tournament though, no idea how it's gonna turn out. It's still a little time away so I'm gonna be practicing as much stuff as possible until then, it might be recorded so I can show some footage.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I'm gonna be going to a local tournament for the Wii U version fairly soon, I'm probably gonna be using Duck Hunt Duo mainly, as well as some Wario and Dedede, so I'm hoping to bring back a win for the Duck Hunt community. This is my first tournament though, no idea how it's gonna turn out. It's still a little time away so I'm gonna be practicing as much stuff as possible until then, it might be recorded so I can show some footage.
Make us proud, senpai!

...but if this is your first then... Uh... Prepare for...quite a few losses. Just keep your chin up, make friends and learn!

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Make us proud, senpai!

...but if this is your first then... Uh... Prepare for...quite a few losses. Just keep your chin up, make friends and learn!
Yeah, I know first place is unlikely on my first tournament. I'm just gonna keep my confidence, learn from mistakes, and put on a good show, that would count as a win for me. Luckily I've learned to fail after quite a few experiences of it, I'm not planning on making use of that skill without a decent fight though.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Duck Hunt stage is pretty legal worthy. There's no real hazards, the only thing that nearly counts as one is the dog rising up, but it really doesn't mess things up too badly.

Plus, we REALLLLLLY don't need to be banning more stages right now.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Duck Hunt stage is pretty legal worthy. There's no real hazards, the only thing that nearly counts as one is the dog rising up, but it really doesn't mess things up too badly.

Plus, we REALLLLLLY don't need to be banning more stages right now.
It's definitely a good counterpick, i dunno if I agree with it being "neutral". Projectile characters have it rough there, especially doggy, his cans and clays love to hit birds!

Though have cans hidden behind grass is nice so, pros and cons.

Judging from Antger's ladder, I wouldn't mind cutting Duck Hunt. Congo jungle is already a bad stage for doggy and I very much dislike Lylat.

Also, why did you name give doggy the name Duck Hunt?! Why not Duck Hunt Duo?! Or call the stage Fields! Or Hunting Range! OR EVEN CALL HIM BONEY! TOSS MOTHER 3 FANS A BONE!

...I think I'll start referring to my doggy as "Boney" now :3

Last edited:

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing the Wii U version with what free time I have and I've decided to make DHD the character I wanted to focus on. My 'for glory' matches have been pretty hit and miss. I tend to lose and win in streaks. I had a couple problems I hoped you could help me with.
#1 What are you supposed to do about zelda's B attack? When people usually block projectiles my response is to dash grab to punish the animation of what ever move they used. This so far hasn't worked with zelda and gets me destroyed.
#2 When dashing in one direction and reversing to throw a pigeon, why is it better to short hop? My odds of connecting with the pigeon seems much higher when reversing and throwing it from the ground but in all of the vids I've seen show people doing it from a short hop.

Top Bottom