• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
If he does well, we gonna see DHD bandwagoners?
I'm all for getting more doggy mains. More practice, more people to learn from!

Also, look at these doggy stock symbols from Anther's! I'm gonna put the dalmation one in my signature, like a lil badge =3...

...cuz I'm addicted to customization in any capacity...

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I'm all for getting more doggy mains. More practice, more people to learn from!

Also, look at these doggy stock symbols from Anther's! I'm gonna put the dalmation one in my signature, like a lil badge =3...

You're not addicted. You're a passionate connoisseur of the art of personalization and self actualization.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
MVD has proven me wrong, it's surprising most of the videos online of him aren't great at all. That KO on the last game on the last stock against aMSa was beautiful.

All of them are there except for the one I use. ;( y u do dis

Last edited:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I'll be honest, I'm mad jealous of MVD right now and he's probably 10x Better than I'll ever be, but can you honestly say amsa knew that matchup based on his play? I saw him run into way too many avoidable things and just run right into discs, or shield them with no punish. It's so easy to punish this char for throwing things out. I've said it before, people lose to DHD when they respect him too much, we saw this in Fow Vs Zero WF. Zero stopped respecting the projectiles and falling for shenanigans, DHD got blown up.

I feel like a good amount of my wins are due to this too, but I actually do suck at smash.

LET'S GO MVD HUNT NATION!

Last edited:

Spirst

I'll be honest, I'm mad jealous of MVD right now and he's probably 10x Better than I'll ever be, but can you honestly say amsa knew that matchup based on his play? I saw him run into way too many avoidable things and just run right into discs, or shield them with no punish. It's so easy to punish this char for throwing things out. I've said it before, people lose to DHD when they respect him too much, we saw this in Fow Vs Zero WF. Zero stopped respecting the projectiles and falling for shenanigans, DHD got blown up.

I feel like a good amount of my wins are due to this too, but I actually do suck at smash.

LET'S GO MVD HUNT NATION!
Yeah, I was thinking that amsa didn't know the MU very well since he was falling for all kinds of ****. Didn't help that it was on BF too where DH can get away with clay pigeon stuff because of those platforms making it harder to jump>punish. Greninja's usmash doesn't connect properly on the BF platforms so there goes his # 1 kill move. Still though, MVD did well and that pocket Mac was a good choice for game 2.

If MVD takes this with DH or breaks top 3, that will be the best thing ever.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
MVD has proven me wrong, it's surprising most of the videos online of him aren't great at all. That KO on the last game on the last stock against aMSa was beautiful.

All of them are there except for the one I use. ;( y u do dis
?

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
MVD has literally made made me use duck hunt for the rest of my smash 4 career. His duck hunt is just "AMAZING!!!!!!"

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
That's the one! I'll probably add it to my signature at one point as well, so I actually have a signature. :p
It's hard to tell the colors apart at times with only his face. If they had his collar more defined, it's be easier to tell. Or the ducks's face too.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
RIP MVD, your death will not be in vain.
Dang it, MVD shouldnta counterpicked Mac.
Little Mac was a pretty good idea, his DHD was having trouble with dealing with rushdown Sonic, but even despite that I think the Sonic player just had the upper hand. I do find his use of retreating gunman b-reversals really interesting, it looks really good for keeping the opponent away, plus it looks stylish af. I think he should've used DHD's aerials more, with good spacing, he could've applied a bit of pressure while still staying out of the range of a grab.

Oh yeah, and bruh... that Pac-Man is astounding, this Top 8 has been fantastic.

Last edited:

Spirst

SHFF fairs with gunmen are amazing against rushdown characters. Regardless, he gets props for making it this far. That was a good run.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
so proud of DHD getting to top 8 but Sonic will shut him down no matter what. i wonder how far he would have gotten if he hadnt faced sonic?

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Is the Sonic matchup that hopeless? I would hope there'd be a way for a DHD to slow a match a down to a manageable peace with his tools.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
Is the Sonic matchup that hopeless? I would hope there'd be a way for a DHD to slow a match a down to a manageable peace with his tools.
since launch i have never won against a sonic that knew the matchup.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
RIP MVD, your death will not be in vain.

Little Mac was a pretty good idea, his DHD was having trouble with dealing with rushdown Sonic, but even despite that I think the Sonic player just had the upper hand. I do find his use of retreating gunman b-reversals really interesting, it looks really good for keeping the opponent away, plus it looks stylish af. I think he should've used DHD's aerials more, with good spacing, he could've applied a bit of pressure while still staying out of the range of a grab.

Oh yeah, and bruh... that Pac-Man is astounding, this Top 8 has been fantastic.
DEM ZAIR KEY DROPS. OMG.

Seeing MVG though makes me feel like maybe Doggy doesn't need a secondary. It may be easier with one, but maybe don't NEED one.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Please... I need the videos of DHD in Apex 2015... we need to watch them over and over... and learn from them.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hmmm... Sonic, huh? Maybe we need to practice how to deal with Sonic in the training mode.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
With sonic it's just that he's a zone breaker character. When duck hunt tries to zone sonic can easilty rush right past them with ease which makes it hard for duck hunt to camp him. Honestly speedy characters gives me trouble when I play Duck Hunt.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sonic? A zone breaker character? Well, he goes through many zones in his games. Of course he is a zone breaker character. :4sonic:

Still, we will prevail. After all, dogs hunt hedgehogs. It is right there on the poster. And don't forget this video. We will get Sonic. :4duckhunt:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
See guys I told you MVD was the best, but you didn't believe me. Brood is 2nd best; I completely forgot about him, then Guy & now thinking about it Dunno-bro is really knowledgeable, but I'm probably 4th.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm not sure if this is known or not... but when I was practicing as DHD against a level 9 Sonic in training mode, I am not sure if I'm seeing things right but I noticed that whenever Sonic does his neutral B move and the dog throws the clay disc, Sonic seems to home toward the clay discs instead of the dog. Can someone else verify this? I think the clay discs could be a way to manipulate Sonic to go off-stage should he try to do his homing attack on the dog.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I'm not sure if this is known or not... but when I was practicing as DHD against a level 9 Sonic in training mode, I am not sure if I'm seeing things right but I noticed that whenever Sonic does his neutral B move and the dog throws the clay disc, Sonic seems to home toward the clay discs instead of the dog. Can someone else verify this? I think the clay discs could be a way to manipulate Sonic to go off-stage should he try to do his homing attack on the dog.
Something like that happened to me too.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sonic will go for the cloest "target". So clay, can and gunmen count as targets.
Hmmm... interesting... so we could make decoy targets (cans, discs, gunmen) to manipulate Sonic's homing attack.

But we need to figure out how to counter Sonic's side special. It goes through gunmen... but cans seem to stop him. But of course Sonic can jump while spinning.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
The same thing works against Palutena's neutral-b, and I'm not sure about any other characters that have homing attacks.
But we need to figure out how to counter Sonic's side special. It goes through gunmen... but cans seem to stop him. But of course Sonic can jump while spinning.
Wouldn't an OoS grab work against side-special if they're in front of you? I can't quite remember, I don't know any Sonics so I'm not that great with the MU. One of the things with Sonics that I did notice though, is that they like that area just above their opponents heads, so they tend to side-b and jump around there, limiting our options, and since they're not in front of us, OoS grab definitely doesn't work in that scenario. One of the option that I could think of is just shielding behind a can, not the most interesting of plans, but welcome to Sonic.

If you place the can so when you shoot it, it goes just over DHD, that should stop Sonic from going to that point since you can just hit them with the can, and since you're in shield, you'll get no damage.

Last edited:

MVD

Smash Master
I appreciate all the support from each and every one if you. I promise to get better for all of you!

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
I have ended a hilarious match with a sonic homing into the barrel, killing himself. once sonics know about it though it won't be anything special.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have ended a hilarious match with a sonic homing into the barrel, killing himself. once sonics know about it though it won't be anything special.
I do have to wonder... does Sonic home to a can that has just been kicked by the dog? Or will he home to a can that has been sitting around for a while? Also, if Sonic homes to a can, was it because the can was nearer to Sonic than the dog was?

LinedPlayer

Smash Rookie
I do have to wonder... does Sonic home to a can that has just been kicked by the dog? Or will he home to a can that has been sitting around for a while? Also, if Sonic homes to a can, was it because the can was nearer to Sonic than the dog was?
I think Sonic goes to the closest object to him, so it wouldnt matter how recently duck hunt kicked the can

Last edited:

Spirst

Nah, he homes in on whatever is closest. DH's projectiles practically have hurtboxes which is what Sonic's homing attack locks in on. If DH's hurtbox is closer to Sonic than a projectile, he'll home in on DH instead.

duckhuntplayer

Smash Rookie
yes, sonic will home in on whatever is closest. sot hat is the gunman, the clay pigeon, and the bomb.

i have prevailed against sonic in FG matches many times, even with those who understand the matchup, and i do think it is quite difficult but it can be managed.although maybe they were just sticking to their flowchart too muh as a lot of FG sonics do :D

the clay pigeon can be pivotal in stopping the spin dash attack, but it has to be executed fast enough or sonic will break it.
similarly, you should be able with good timing to do SH->dair to knock some sense into him and combo with the autocancel. sonics usually get surprised by this.
or ftilit.

as for the homing attack, its a really telegraphed attack to me. its hard to get any projectiles out by the time you realize he's doing it so you'd need to predict it. if i hear it, my R button is immediately pushed and honestly i feel that attack can be punished easily.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Off the present topic, but I'd like to comment that every time I do a brazilian jiu jitsu class and play DHD afterwards, I feel the two activities are analogous. Both find you getting the biggest success outthinking your opponent, natural physical gifts or character attributes be damned. Submissions and KOs usually come from long bouts of outplaying the other guy instead of overwhelming them.

Also, like with BJJ, when I play DHD, fatigue plays an issue. Thankfully I don't feel like I'm developing asthma after playing DHD.

Top Bottom