• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
The world will never know.....

Also, I'll take this opportunity to say I absolutely despise the acronym "DHD"
I have to second this with all my might.

DHD or Duck Hunt Dog, should not be be what we call the character for three reasons.

1. Duck Hunt is what the character is ACTUALLY CALLED IN GAME.

2. Why do we want to needlessly elongate typing and saying the character's name? DH and Duck Hunt are faster to type and speak.

3. The Dog is only one part of the team and referring to the character just by him (though he is the most iconic part), is pretty silly.

Unless you're European and calling him DHD for Duck Hunt Duo like it is said over there- Let's get with the program please.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I have to second this with all my might.

DHD or Duck Hunt Dog, should not be be what we call the character for three reasons.

1. Duck Hunt is what the character is ACTUALLY CALLED IN GAME.

2. Why do we want to needlessly elongate typing and saying the character's name? DH and Duck Hunt are faster to type and speak.

3. The Dog is only one part of the team and referring to the character just by him (though he is the most iconic part), is pretty silly.

Unless you're European and calling him DHD for Duck Hunt Duo like it is said over there- Let's get with the program please.
Nope. He's always doggy, Boney or Sir Woofington the 45th.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Anti-"DHD" people, don't start this crap again.

We are not stopping you from saying "DH". That's your prerogative. Let us say "DHD" in peace.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I feel that DHD is really good despite his disjointed hitboxes and lack of killing moves.
Despite? His disjointed hitbox is one of the reasons he's good, you can hit people with aerials while staying out of the range of being punished.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Despite? His disjointed hitbox is one of the reasons he's good, you can hit people with aerials while staying out of the range of being punished.
I was thinking of his smashes... despite his unreliable smashes, he is quite good.

Also, I thought you can still get damage if the opponent hits the duck?

Last edited:

Spirst

I was thinking of his smashes... despite his unreliable smashes, he is quite good.

Also, I thought you can still get damage if the opponent hits the duck?
For attacks, the duck is a true disjointed hitbox. I've tested it myself and can confirm that when the duck is being used as an attack, it functions like a sword in that hitting it won't build percentage. However, in idle non-attack stances like crouching, the duck is a hurtbox and even though the dog can crouch under something like Fox's lasers, percent still builds up because of the duck getting hit.

So basically, the duck is a hurtbox depending on what you're doing. Whoooo...

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's so weird... do Link and Marth get hurt when their swords are hit? Are their swords also hurtboxes?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let's not forget that the dog is the real star... and he was the one who was personally invited to Smash by Mario and other NES all-stars. The duck just tagged along... and you (the NES Zapper player) are stuck behind the fourth wall, shooting whenever the dog commands you to.

The Duck Hunt Dog is special. DHD. Meowth! That's right!

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
..in other unrelated news, I've changed my tag from "Wispy" to "woofeh~". It's much cuter, woofeh~ actually means something special to me, and matches a doggy main. I mainly just thought it was a cute tag, just being silly onomatopoeia, everything else fell into place. I was planning until later to change it but the dalmation controller everyone loved pushed me to do it sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Today I finally touched the training mode for the first time ever (and I meant, actually doing serious training instead of just doing it to get trophies or clear challenges). I am actually surprised with how much fun I am having in this training mode. It doesn't seem to record anything to the permanent records (I hate permanent records) and I can just play as DHD to my heart's content... practicing how to play DHD against Bowser, Lucario, Sheik, and other characters I have hard time with.

I am so sorry I ever disparaged the training mode. I was so wrong. This is actually fun.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
It's hard to say, my vote's on Guy. DunnoBro is also pretty good but I'm not sure what level he's on. We should have a Duck Hunt only tourney to see who's best, but then it'd be a test of who's best at DHD dittos. :p
MVD is the best DHD, then Guy, & maybe Dunnobro or me although I'm lacking in certain matchups & my DH could be a little more crisp as well as my player skill.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
MVD is the best DHD, then Guy, & maybe Dunnobro or me although I'm lacking in certain matchups & my DH could be a little more crisp as well as my player skill.
Looking at MVD's gameplay, he doesn't look better than Guy, and certainly not the best DHD. He doesn't have much in the way of mix-ups and pressure, while rolling away from the opponent and using all projectiles all the time, meaning he gets punished when people hit his can back in to him or read his rolls.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Yeah...not to call out MVD, but he sits in place enough for me to say he's probably not the best out of all of us right now. Dunnobro is up there, I might be, but there HAVE to be other DHDs somewhere...I rarely see any ANYWHERE in tourneys, it's crazy.

Also, saying DHD allows me to add A to the beginning of it, so it becomes "ADHD", "A Duck Hunt Duo".

And it makes me mad I didn't name myself ADHD before ADHD did.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Yeah...not to call out MVD, but he sits in place enough for me to say he's probably not the best out of all of us right now. Dunnobro is up there, I might be, but there HAVE to be other DHDs somewhere...I rarely see any ANYWHERE in tourneys, it's crazy.
I was at the National Streetpass tourney in the UK a couple of days ago, I wasn't actually in the tourney but I was able to play friendlies, I saw absolutely no DHD players except for myself, and with many of the players I faced it seems they didn't know the DHD MU. This is on top of the fact that early tier lists put in at mid tier, sometimes mid-low. I know that DHD can be difficult to play, but I wonder if people don't play because of that, or if there's another reason entirely.

Spirst

I was at the National Streetpass tourney in the UK a couple of days ago, I wasn't actually in the tourney but I was able to play friendlies, I saw absolutely no DHD players except for myself, and with many of the players I faced it seems they didn't know the DHD MU. This is on top of the fact that early tier lists put in at mid tier, sometimes mid-low. I know that DHD can be difficult to play, but I wonder if people don't play because of that, or if there's another reason entirely.
He's seldom seen because he's a character that requires a lot of inputs and thought to play that, if put into another character like Sheik or Diddy, would yield superior results. I love DH as a character and would play him regardless of tier position but I do recognize that if you're just looking to win in a tournament setting, there are safer characters to do so with. DH's KO issues in particular are probably offputting to many because while he can rack up damage well, he has trouble sealing the deal in comparison to a number of other characters. In tournaments, you'll want to seal the deal as fast as you can and that grinding patience you need with DH isn't ideal. Recovery is an issue too bar customs (which alleviate some issues but add their own). With ledge trumping, edgeguarding in this game is a pretty big deal and DH happens to be stuck with a recovery that has no hitbox and can't be canceled while still traveling a much less distance than similar ones like Villager.

DH is a character that needs a lot of focus and patience for the player in order to do well and early in the metagame, where people are trying to take the easy way to winning, he hasn't entered the spotlight.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
He's seldom seen because he's a character that requires a lot of inputs and thought to play that, if put into another character like Sheik or Diddy, would yield superior results. I love DH as a character and would play him regardless of tier position but I do recognize that if you're just looking to win in a tournament setting, there are safer characters to do so with. DH's KO issues in particular are probably offputting to many because while he can rack up damage well, he has trouble sealing the deal in comparison to a number of other characters. In tournaments, you'll want to seal the deal as fast as you can and that grinding patience you need with DH isn't ideal. Recovery is an issue too bar customs (which alleviate some issues but add their own). With ledge trumping, edgeguarding in this game is a pretty big deal and DH happens to be stuck with a recovery that has no hitbox and can't be canceled while still traveling a much less distance than similar ones like Villager.

DH is a character that needs a lot of focus and patience for the player in order to do well and early in the metagame, where people are trying to take the easy way to winning, he hasn't entered the spotlight.
I can see doggy being top 10, just barely, in the right hands. But with a new players, he's a pain in the rear. An easy to play secondary may be the thing we need most, so we can focus mostly on doggy and not get tunnel vision.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I can see doggy being top 10, just barely, in the right hands. But with a new players, he's a pain in the rear. An easy to play secondary may be the thing we need most, so we can focus mostly on doggy and not get tunnel vision.
I was playing Wario for this purpose, but lately my old Brawl main Olimar has been handling the business the dog has trouble with. Dunno how viable that is in a broad sense.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Looking at MVD's gameplay, he doesn't look better than Guy, and certainly not the best DHD. He doesn't have much in the way of mix-ups and pressure, while rolling away from the opponent and using all projectiles all the time, meaning he gets punished when people hit his can back in to him or read his rolls.
I mean MVD is a great player and you probably have only seen one or two of his videos, lol. He has an amazing DHD & is definitely the best w/ Guy being second & this is my opinion. They both are great so no need to fight lol. Guy is second because his mental game is not as strong as MVD & he likes to troll a bit and not close out sets/games he should win lol.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629

Also, saying DHD allows me to add A to the beginning of it, so it becomes "ADHD", "A Duck Hunt Duo".

And it makes me mad I didn't name myself ADHD before ADHD did.
Yeah the lack of DH mains is really sad. I'm the only DH in my tri-state (the only other one dropped him for Diddy). :c

I'm decent. Probably a top 10 (potentially top 5) player in the KY/IN/OH region, but that's literally saying nothing. I wish I could play better players to see where I'm at. :/

Guy and Dunnobro are really close imo. Like, REALLY close. I don't think I could put one over the other honestly.

Brood is probably my vote for best DH player.

Edit: GOOD LUCK APEX DOGGIES (and duckies and gunners)!!!! (:

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Yeah the lack of DH mains is really sad. I'm the only DH in my tri-state (the only other one dropped him for Diddy). :c

I'm decent. Probably a top 10 (potentially top 5) player in the KY/IN/OH region, but that's literally saying nothing. I wish I could play better players to see where I'm at. :/

Guy and Dunnobro are really close imo. Like, REALLY close. I don't think I could put one over the other honestly.

Brood is probably my vote for best DH player.

Edit: GOOD LUCK APEX DOGGIES (and duckies and gunners)!!!! (:
Come up to MI, we can be alone together. XD

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
MVD is in top 16 at Apex.

MVD won his first match in top 16.

That means he's guaranteed 9th. GOOOO MVD~~~~ : D

Spirst

Damn, I gotta say, this thread title, though unrelated to the event, matches up with what's going on at Apex right now perfectly.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
According to what people are saying in the competitive character thread, MVD was the only DH player that made it into the second round of pools... He's putting in so much work though <3

Spirst

I love the DH representation going on. It feels great to see him up there after everyone called him a lame camping character or just mediocre. I'm just wondering how he'll do vs Zero who has apparently been killing it too. I think DH gives Diddy issues but on the player level, I wonder if MVD will pull through.

Top Bottom