• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Direction of the Zelda Boards

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Snakeee made a really long post in Tactical about how he is switching and why lol.......it was a pretty good read.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
people want to waste time talking about them anyway, and I find it hilariously stupid.
Just quickly @ the guide - isn't it expected to be 2 entire full posts long talking about things such as recovery and the basics?... could they therefore be condensed to one or two sentences?
_

I thought AL's thread was quite a good idea and took me entirely by surprise if I'm honest - it's just the first topic was a little off. Reminded of the move analysis thread where discussion cycles around different topics.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Just play as Zelda and have fun.
This.

Apex is slowly approaching guys, HYPE ME UP!!!!! :bee:
Lol, you better actually go. I was so mad you weren't at Pound, although I enjoyed meeting Peachkid, Mikey, and White Peach in your place. <3

Just quickly @ the guide - isn't it expected to be 2 entire full posts long talking about things such as recovery and the basics?... could they therefore be condensed to one or two sentences?
_

I thought AL's thread was quite a good idea and took me entirely by surprise if I'm honest - it's just the first topic was a little off. Reminded of the move analysis thread where discussion cycles around different topics.
The guide explains things that most of us should already know. It's literally a how-to assuming that the reader knows absolutely nothing about Zelda, so of course it has to be more than 1-2 sentences.

However, in discussion threads, it's assumed that the reader has at least basic knowledge about Zelda -- perhaps from reading the guide. =P Once you know how her recovery works, from then on it doesn't need much more elaboration. There are no tricks to it unless you wanna count NL momentum canceling.

Also, I said in AL's thread that I think the idea of the thread is great. I do think we should discuss Zelda's weaknesses, and I never bashed the thread as a whole. I just think the first topic was absolute balls, and it aggravated me that after Bandit and I suggested much better topics, people still wanted to stay on the recovery thing.

Even then, I was willing to just wait for the subject to switch since people were so adamant about recovery. But then AL did the right thing and changed to projectiles. :lick:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I dunno if you're being sarcastic, because I didn't respond to you yet. =X

As for AL, I just wanted to get my point out there once so that his ignorance wouldn't affect the less experienced who might be lurking and reading this topic. Now that I've said my piece, though, I'm done with him. =D

Sorry, forgot a word, that was supposed to read, "I would appreciate..." :urg:

Makes more sense with that in mind.

Like I said before: Bobby is an amazing player, and I'm not the expert on how Hawaii's metagame compares with ours, but his case is unique in that he plays within a bubble. Everybody there knows each other's playstyles, which changes things. You can't use him as an example for Zelda players as a whole.

He also CPs sometimes (which is what everybody should be doing..... which is my entire point), so you can't take his placings at face value either.
Then maybe Zelda mains need to be amazing players, or at least strive for it.

If they really want to be the next great Smash player using Zelda, they'll do so regardless of how negative the boards are. Most of the best players don't even read the character boards, lol. They **** sure don't listen to people who probably aren't as good as them anyway.

People who go to that level have a trend of reading the boards for the basics of how to play the character, then improve the rest of the way based on experience and innovation. I think you (and some others) are taking this whole "culture of negativity" thing a bit too seriously.

The only person who's really even that negative is MrEh, but he provides plenty of good information alongside that. (He just typically says it in 1-2 sentences, which is usually all you need when it comes to Zelda. She's common sense personified.) I guess I would come in second place, but I also do my part around here. Who are the other people you're talking about who're contributing to this negative trend? Everyone else seems to talk neutrally or about sparkles....................
The real problem is at that basic level, cause that when players can get turned off to a character, and that's when they really need the community support. At that point it's easy for people to drown in the drudgery and think they cannot excell, but with the right setting they can get inspired.

But honestly, it's not just you two, it's EVERYBODY, I do it, zeldapazz does it, AL is pretty much the only person on the board who doesn't (and he takes it to the opposite extreme).

Most Zeldas don't go to tournaments anyway, so there's your competitive apathy. The ones who do continue to attend tournaments as much as they always have.
I would tend to disagree from a psychological standpoint, an openly discouraging environment will tend to result in few new tournament players, while an encouraging enviroment will do the opposite.

I disagree with that, but. *shrug*

Discussing the many angles of recovering with FW is beating a dead horse. Some things are really that simple and take two brain cells to figure out.

MrEh summarized her recovery in two sentences. That's how basic a lot of things about Zelda are, but people want to waste time talking about them anyway, and I find it hilariously stupid.
Angles, fair enough. But trying to figure out new ways to use it, I dunno, they might find something, never know till you try.

Oh well, we're not the Ganons. You're also implying that Ray Kalm placed that high because of a morale boost from his character board, but in reality, I'm sure his skill and experience had everything to do with it.

Let's do a trial run of positivity and see if Riot suddenly places 10th or higher at a national. Then I might believe you. :p
No, I'm implying that the Ganon boards being supportive of tournament playing helps produce a lot more and better tournament ganons then we have.

But cool, we gotta give it some time though, and don't base it on riot, you never know when a new player will come around.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I PROPOSE AN AL GAUNTLET AT APEX.

Let's run a Brawl train on him, boys.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I PROPOSE AN AL GAUNTLET AT APEX.

Let's run a Brawl train on him, boys.
Awww, don't be mean, apex is a place for love and joy, and...

Running a train over anyone that's not a Zelda main, I propose Zelda mains and secondaries take top 5, trying to get DM to go in the xat as we speak.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Oh alright then I'll have a sense of humour :mad: just this once :mad: and not go modtastic on offtopic posts since everyone's in on it. Back on topic after this though - I'd be interested to see if DM is able to travel OoS and kick ***, literally.

Very disappointing to hear snakeee's picked up MK, but I suppose for the money it's a wise decision in the long run. (Can someone link me to the post?)

So AL... you're going to Apex. Are you going solo Zelda? What are your expectations?

I should probably point out Jujux has been doing extremely well going solo zelda over here. I swear it's all about those beeyootiful lightning kicks.

I've been doing some tests on Zelda's shield pokes btw... some interesting stuff I came across!

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Fun thread guy I think we are making improvement :3

Im upset I wanna go to APEX cus its in NJ...but parents probably wont let me stay overnight if its more than a one day tourney.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Oh alright then I'll have a sense of humour :mad: just this once :mad:and not go modtastic on offtopic posts since everyone's in on it. Back on topic after this though - I'd be interested to see if DM is able to travel OoS and kick ***, literally.

Very disappointing to hear snakeee's picked up MK, but I suppose for the money it's a wise decision in the long run. (Can someone link me to the post?)

So AL... you're going to Apex. Are you going solo Zelda? What are your expectations?

I should probably point out Jujux has been doing extremely well going solo zelda over here. I swear it's all about those beeyootiful lightning kicks.

I've been doing some tests on Zelda's shield pokes btw... some interesting stuff I came across!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=9361285&highlight=Snakeee#post9361285

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
That SH Nair on taller characters is a surprisingly really good poke! Like... after one jab if you SH Nair it strikes through the shield. So after an Fsmash on shield presuming you can reach there in time, you have a pretty decent chance at striking through the shield. I don't know about it coming down from the air though.

Also the kicks, especially Fair, can poke really really well if you aim for their head... as soon as a part of the head is exposes in any way, you can hit them. Dtilt pokes on the 3rd consecutive hit if you hit their shield.

Fsmash > Fsmash shield pokes GW if he's still in range for the second one. Might apply to other characters.

I dunno... these are just little niche things. Basically, Nair, the kicks and dtilts make for the best pokes she has (and ftilt!).

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Oh alright then I'll have a sense of humour :mad: just this once :mad: and not go modtastic on offtopic posts since everyone's in on it. Back on topic after this though - I'd be interested to see if DM is able to travel OoS and kick ***, literally.

Lol, you know you're doing it cause we're playing nice now... right?

Bandit

Smash Lord
Ignore button makes life simpler...

@Kat, I love the shield poke stuff. Nair has a bigger hit box in B+, so I use it a ton now. It really does wear on shields.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

I'll use a combo of Wario and Zelda depending on what the match up is. Make it out of pools since last year I didn't make it out.

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
while u east coast ppl are at Apex...us west coast ppl will be at SCSA. Zelda/TL, Zelda/Snake, and Zelda/DK are gonna dominate teams, SWFTT is gonna dominate crews, and hopefully I get out of pools this time LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I've been reading this, and I say "lol, everyone takes this so personally".

First, some people knows and say that she's bad, but want to breaktrough of that (I'm included in this group... I'm not very skilled anyways, and want to improve myself).
Haters just remark she's bad.
Then, "lovers" (to call them somewhat) say scrubby things, and "haters" say tier-wh0re's ones that are "countered" by the same scrubs... (repeat)
And discussion never ends because everyone is talking about the same thing.

But problem is not Zelda boards' exclusive.
How many people played/mained a low tier, lost on tournaments, but still playing it, trying to improve?
How many people also did played/mained low tiers, but just moved into higher tiers, they spot a little higher, but they don't realize that they're failing by themselves?
Moreover, how many people just dropped Brawl/Smash/Videogames because they didn't wanted to stress everything they could potentially do?

This is not actually necessary, and is easy to point out: Money is a good reason for everything, if you move a "better" character to win, it's ok; just don't crash others' self-confidence.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
...............Why did you bump this? It was over a long time ago, lol.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Sorry, didn't noticed... this was like 5th or 6th (after stickies) on the first page so I... I didn't meant to bump it... =S

Top Bottom