• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definition of "Spam"

Waza

Smash Apprentice
What about Spamming C-Stick?

I use 'Wii Remote & Nunchuk'

I've just had a gud match against my mate Wilso and i was PT he was CF, While we were on our last stock he was running across the PT stage like mad using USmash every second he had so he could win and eventually did win, my point is C-Stick is very noob.

And is Worse then B spamming.
Flame shield eh? Let's see how it holds up... :chuckle:

C stick spamming really doesnt make any sense.... if you mean smash attack spamming, that's understandable....But because of several techniques (thunderstomping, snake-dashing, boost smashing) "c-stick spamming" (if you can even call it that) is legit and necessary.

But someone just going around doing ONLY smash attacks is a noob....learn to diversify in that case. (not directed at you, but in general)

As for that wiimote/nunchuk statement that i bolded for emphasis.....if anything should be hated when playing brawl....its these people who use the **** wiimotes and their attachments... Seriously, I have never, never, come across a player who could "sync" their wiimote to the wii properly (without wasting like 10 min of everyone's time) and then they have to make "special" controls that take even longer..... :mad: Get a GC controller and assimilate please...

and...
Wow.

I learned something today.
That rarely happens.
glad i could help. :p

GofG

Smash Champion
So much scrubbery in this thread.

No tactic makes you a noob, unless it doesn't make you win. If spamming smashes makes you win, then you just won! It's your opponent's fault for not being able to avoid getting hit by an extremely repetitive move, not yours for "spamming" a move.

Read sirlin plox

Waza

Smash Apprentice

No tactic makes you a noob, unless it doesn't make you win. If spamming smashes makes you win, then you just won!

I'm agreeing with you, i'm just saying that using only smash attacks is a pretty much guaranteed plan for failure...so they need to learn to diversify their attacks.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
seriously? It means that I am betting you to find a character that doesnt fit the criteria i posted above...

Definition of "defy":

Dictionary:
defy
(dĭ-fī') pronunciation
Home > Library > Literature & Language > Dictionary
tr.v., -fied, -fy·ing, -fies.
a) To oppose or resist with boldness and assurance: defied the blockade by sailing straight through it.
b) To refuse to submit to or cooperate with: defied the court order by leaving the country.
2. To be unaffected by; resist or withstand: “So the plague defied all medicines” (Daniel Defoe).
3. To challenge or dare (someone) to do something: She defied her accusers to prove their charges.

10learn2comprehendz :dizzy:
:laugh:

@ Thread- All is fair game in terms of character movesets (I'm not talking about any game breaking glitches like the IDC or anything of the sort). You win, you win. If the opponent loses to a repetitive tactic, it is most likely their fault, not the user's.

@ GofG- Must you sneak in an insult so often? You made a good point, but that first line serves no real purpose other than to belittle/irritate some of those around you. Tsk tsk.

GofG

Smash Champion
Perhaps, but pointing it out so much is a little over the top. :ohwell:
Yuna lives in Sweden. The way to counter a reaver drop is to make sure you scout the original robo bay to see it coming, spread your units out around your main, line your base with turrents/cannons or mutas, and take advantage of his economic situation, since has to opt for gas over full minerals. The gamecube, on release, was purple. This thread is full of scrubbery. Lozr beat Chillin at Jubilee. In Norway, the Christmas tradition is for a Santa Clause to travel around in a carriage with a bunch of black slaves and deliver presents to the door step. Debian and Debian-derived distributions of Linux use the apt package manager. Final Fantasy games mostly appear on the PlayStation consoles, except for a few ports to Nintendo systems like the Crystal Chronicles and FF3. Barack Obama won the US Presidential Election. Justice's Cross is one of the bestselling dance albums of all time. www.google.com is the Alexa #1 ranked website in the western world. Yuna is homosexual. Yuna is ADORABLE.

Pick out the truthful statements that are over the top, so that I can better understand where along the "statement over-the-topness" spectrum the line gets drawn.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Yuna lives in Sweden. The way to counter a reaver drop is to make sure you scout the original robo bay to see it coming, spread your units out around your main, line your base with turrents/cannons or mutas, and take advantage of his economic situation, since has to opt for gas over full minerals. The gamecube, on release, was purple. This thread is full of scrubbery. Lozr beat Chillin at Jubilee. In Norway, the Christmas tradition is for a Santa Clause to travel around in a carriage with a bunch of black slaves and deliver presents to the door step. Debian and Debian-derived distributions of Linux use the apt package manager. Final Fantasy games mostly appear on the PlayStation consoles, except for a few ports to Nintendo systems like the Crystal Chronicles and FF3. Barack Obama won the US Presidential Election. Justice's Cross is one of the bestselling dance albums of all time. www.google.com is the Alexa #1 ranked website in the western world. Yuna is homosexual. Yuna is ADORABLE.

Pick out the truthful statements that are over the top, so that I can better understand where along the "statement over-the-topness" spectrum the line gets drawn.
Do I win a prize? XD

Excuse my previous terminology. What I meant was "excessive". I know there is "scrubbery" lurking about, and my focus was not entirely on whether or not you hid that in your post, but rather on the fact that I see it being pointed out way too much now, even on profiles. It's not a badge of honor to make them look stupid, just ignore them and continue speaking to those who post intelligently. It really is up to you, I just wanted to point that out.

As for my opinion on what is neutral, I agree with Yunie. 50/50 and 55/45 are both considered neutral matchups in my view, seeing as I'm not too anal about the slight number difference.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
spam and cheap are two over used words of sore losers. Anytime someone is losing, or a move works well against them I hear it from someone who is losing and cannot handle it.
For example. I play toon link. I have friends who call my up smash "cheap" and tell me to "stop spamming it" "do you know any other moves."
Truth is, yes I do. I use them very well. But against them, I don't need to so why do anything else? If you are dumb enough to fall on my up smash over and over because you are determined to hit me when you could easily air dodge or DI away from me then that is you sucking and need to stop whining and find a different strategy.

You think it is cheap to "spam" a move, make the player spam it. I am not going to use more moves than I have to so I can save them from going stale. Against good players who challenge me I use a bunch of moves. And do I use a lot of projectiles? Yes, that is how toon link herds and racks up damage on players. It is not spam, it is an effective strategy. Spam would be using the same move over and over again. Not using 3 different projectiles to create an opening so I can run in and hit you, or bring you to where I want you and approach.

As I said, spam and cheap are words used on any effective strategy that a person cannot get around because they are frustrated. The few times it is viable are on infinite grabs for instance. That can be debated more so because if done right, they are impossible to get out of and take the fun out of the match. But that is a whole other debate that I stand neutral on presently.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
spam blaster until they approuch. whos the worse player

the wolf for doing a simple yet effective tactic? or u for not being able to get passed it. it limits ur options and messes ur spacing. wolf wins. u have to work harder then it right? it makes it mroe satifsying? or u just get annoyed at the end of the match.

2 outlooks on spam. but seriosuly dont jonh dont complain and if u cant figure out the way to beat if during the match study it after and dont bishhh

zzz99

Smash Apprentice
Some popular moves to spam:

* Mario's/Luigi's/Dr. Mario's Fireballs/Megavitamins
* Fox's/Falco's/Wolf's Blaster
* Samus's missiles (either kind)
* Pikachu's Thunder and Thunder Jolt
* Link's/Young Link's/Toon Link's bombs
* Many character's Neutral A combo
* Stall-Then-Falls
* Ness'/Lucas' PK Fire
* Pit's Arrows and Angel Ring
* Zelda's Din's Fire and Nayru's Love
* C-Stick Smashes, especially with Wolf
* Diddy Kong's bananas
* Yoshi's Egg Throw

source:
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Spamming
side note: ROB's laser/gyro should be on that list
I can't tell you how many times I get called a spammer for using those moves
but onto the point, as it has been stated already, spamming should not ever be used as a complaint
always getting hit by blasters? learn to go around them, platforms work wonders with this
getting hit by smashes all the time? it's called "shieldgrab" or just punishing predictability
constantly getting hit by mach tornado? ...use a disjointed attack? depends on your character

basically, instead of wasting the time to complain about someone "spamming" (especially if you're winning!) learn to get around it...or in the case of you owning the person...just keep doing what you're doing...it's really not that hard to beat someone repeating the same attack the entire match

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
Mmm... there are two play styles that win in Brawl. Campy and less campy. Inevitably, whatever character you play will have a high priority attack that is abused more than the others.

Ace Of Flames

Smash Apprentice

No tactic makes you a noob, unless it doesn't make you win. If spamming smashes makes you win, then you just won! It's your opponent's fault for not being able to avoid getting hit by an extremely repetitive move, not yours for "spamming" a move.

Read sirlin plox
I love you.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I know someone who thinks they are good because the pick FD and Olimar and sit in the center of the stage going: d-smash>d-smash>d-smash>u-smash>f-smash>d-smash.....
That is not efficient, it is just plain SPAM right out of the can.

Ace Of Flames

Smash Apprentice
I know someone who thinks they are good because the pick FD and Olimar and sit in the center of the stage going: d-smash>d-smash>d-smash>u-smash>f-smash>d-smash.....
That is not efficient, it is just plain SPAM right out of the can.
Does he beat you? I'm just curious.

YagamiDark

Smash Journeyman
If you're spamming an incredibly amazing move that's difficult to punish like G&W's bair, then by all means go ahead if it's effective. It just gets annoying.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
This thread is full of people who don't know how to read

This isn't about a person spamming effective strategies and somebody johning, this is about somebody spamming ineffective strategies, and losing doesn't seem to be getting through to him.

The guy can get through it (because realistically, nothing is unpunishable on prediction except for in certain (rare) match-ups), he just wants his opponent to get better. So how do we break him of his predictability?

VaneWalker

Smash Apprentice
This isn't about a person spamming effective strategies and somebody johning, this is about somebody spamming ineffective strategies, and losing doesn't seem to be getting through to him.

The guy can get through it (because realistically, nothing is unpunishable on prediction except for in certain (rare) match-ups), he just wants his opponent to get better. So how do we break him of his predictability?
At this point I'm just waiting for this thread to die. I'm surprised it is lasting this long.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
Yuna lives in Sweden. The way to counter a reaver drop is to make sure you scout the original robo bay to see it coming, spread your units out around your main, line your base with turrents/cannons or mutas, and take advantage of his economic situation, since has to opt for gas over full minerals.
or you can scout the early stargate although youll be forced to build hydras because spire wont finish in time. this is what makes sair reaver so amazing. because lots of zergs skip mutas altogether and zergs scouting is sooo nerfed after the sairs start coming out. that reaver micro is sexy.

GofG

Smash Champion
There is a surprisingly strong correlation between good tactics and cheap tactics.

Also, I THINK WE SHOULD BAN PROTOSS. STARCRAFT IS BECOMING OVERCENTRALIZED. HOWABOUT THAT 10/16 AT GOMTV?

Edit: woah. I just realized how strong a statement that is.

If starcraft were becoming overcentralized (it isn't), what would that mean? What if Zerg faded off of the face of the earth? That would upset so much ****.

I mean, ****. We look at our tiny little 2-d fighter over here in America, and we have the top 5 characters dominating 90% of tournaments (i'm talking about melee, obviously, I don't even follow brawl anymore) and we claim that Melee is balanced. All they're talking about over at teamliquid is the fact that the top 10 in the round of 16 at the intel classic season2 is protoss.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Spam is a word you hear from your opponent when something your doing is working really well.
YES! That is so true.
A while back, I used peach a fair amount. My friend would always complain about how much I use her turnips and how cheap that was. He said I was spamming them, when I was really beating him and the only way he could deal with it was complain about it.

Pseudoshot

Smash Cadet
Use a spammy technique yourself or turtle, or just time dodges really well and play it safe [with safe auto]. the counter-strategy for spamming is like an rpg strategy game (me and my crappy similes)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Use a spammy technique yourself or turtle, or just time dodges really well and play it safe [with safe auto]. the counter-strategy for spamming is like an rpg strategy game (me and my crappy similes)
All of which doesn't matter if his opponent is spamming unsafe moves resulting in his opponent losing ridiculously easily. Which was the point of the thread.

It's about breaking bad habits, like constantly rolling.

Pseudoshot

Smash Cadet
All of which doesn't matter if his opponent is spamming unsafe moves resulting in his opponent losing ridiculously easily. Which was the point of the thread.

It's about breaking bad habits, like constantly rolling.
I thought he was losing against the spammer, my bad =/
I was thinking of teaching the other guy a lesson by using the spammy strategy.
(Edge-camping is a great way to piss off the spammer too)

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Spam is a word you hear from your opponent when something your doing is working really well.
Good point actually because sometimes when I fight against my freinds they say "spam" to me or others and they are not. They only do it once or even twice, merely an excuse because they are not good.

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
definition of spam:

1. A canned food product by Hormel Foods, made from pork with ham, mechanically separated chicken, water, salt, modified potato starch, sugar, sodium phosphates, potassium chloride, sodium ascorbate, and sodium nitrate
  2. noob activity

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
definition of spam:

1. A canned food product by Hormel Foods, made from pork with ham, mechanically separated chicken, water, salt, modified potato starch, sugar, sodium phosphates, potassium chloride, sodium ascorbate, and sodium nitrate
  2. noob activity
this didn't need to be revived.....and joke is old, old and not remotely funny.

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
YES! That is so true.
A while back, I used peach a fair amount. My friend would always complain about how much I use her turnips and how cheap that was. He said I was spamming them, when I was really beating him and the only way he could deal with it was complain about it.
my friend thought that my kirby's combos were spamming

he tried using kirby, assuming that the combos took no skill to use

he died

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Spam, the key word in a funny monty python clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

*ignoring what I wrote above*

I think spam is ok, I mean, if it helps you win, why not?
I'm not saying I spam to win, but honestly, I think of it as a playstyle of some sort and I do my best to get around it.

Dax8745

Smash Rookie
in my eyes theres 2 things spaing and repeting.
repeting useing a strong move to damage or knock an oppoent off the stage.
spamming useing a weak move over and over again getting nowhere if done the whole match.
examples: spamming fox laser THE WHOLE MACTH you arnt gonna win.
repeting falcon pawnce....it can be done :)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I can't stand the word spam because of it's strong negative connotation. If something works, by all means stick to it. If someone is "spamming" you, then find a way around it (it's never hard). If it's not working, then who cares?

JuniorToons

Smash Apprentice
Spam- using the same set of moves or technique over and over.

kill the spammer before they kill you

Top Bottom