• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The death of "With Anyone"

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Items.

In all seriousness... couldn't nintendo just remove the ability to put these on?

I hate Pit's who can't fight for their life and depend on rocket launchers tbh.

It's terrible.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
To me I find it pretty funny when you can stall a match for nearly the whole 2 minutes using the fan.... I personally prefer no items. My items are set off. However if there are items you know I'll do anything to get that fan...

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Some people like items, srsly. At least... items that take skil....wait a second..... there are none <.< and trying to prove there is is futile.

HRB- if you hit the person, your pretty lucky because its easy to dodge
Any item- Oh looky, I can throw it at you, go and grab it, and throw it at you again :o
Pokeball- Go Goldeen? ..... *looks at opponents pokemon) Groudon? OH COME ON D:
Cracker Launcher- Spammable much?

list goes on forever :\ basically the person who gets the first decent item (some suck: goldeen...) wins the match unless your Pit/Falco/Fox/Wolf/Mario and reflect EVERYTHING...

Roihu

Smash Ace
Dude, "With Anyone" is just for the lulz.
If you can't deal with it, then don't play "With Anyone".
Also, Sakurai's pretty much against people using Brawl as a competitive game, isn't he?

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
I find With Anyone extremely entertaining sometimes! I can get 12 kills with jigglypuff due to the stupidness of my oponents. Team battle is the **** lol. I love purposely throwing stuff at my teamate(bombs etc.) Anyway I can own with Jiggs its just too funny. If you get the super move with jiggs, then float under final destination then release the move... you kill everyone including your teammate(unless your playing a peach with a brain...). Floating eyeball FTW

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Also, Sakurai's pretty much against people using Brawl as a competitive game, isn't he?
That's too bad..I can understand him wanting people to play just for fun, but for me, I find that most of the fun comes from playing competitively :/

Playing FFAs with items is fun, but it really gets old after it loses its novelty.

And tripping ftl.

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
In a With Anyone team match, I was away from the Wii for a good chunk of the game. However, when I came back, a Home Run Bat spawned. Quickly grabbing it, I managed to score nearly five KOs, even killing the opponents at the same time in one swing. 8D

With Anyone is supposed to be for fun, so I semi-support items. However, normally I like to play without them.

Just grab the golden hammer before anyone, spam air dodge when the Dragoon is aimed, and don't like the Ikes eat you.

Toadsanime

Smash Journeyman
UK, England (We got Brawl late. Get over it.)
In all seriousness... couldn't nintendo just remove the ability to put these on?
Uh... no. It's only competitive players whom don't enjoy these. Sometimes, they're very fun to have on, despite several of them making the game completely unfair.
Get to a good item first. Simple as.

Some people like items, srsly. At least... items that take skil....wait a second..... there are none <.< and trying to prove there is is futile.
No, there are no items that take (much) skill. However, who said that it had to? Some people enjoy the entertainment of using items, which is how the game should be. Without the ability to use items, we'd lose some of the feel of the game and it'd become too serious every match. Not only, but then us Nintendo fans lose the reminiscent touch that some of the items have.

just pick captain falcon and spam falcon punch. not only is it fun as hell but you would be surprised at how many wins you will get
No. Just... no.

Dude, "With Anyone" is just for the lulz.
If you can't deal with it, then don't play "With Anyone".
Agreed! If you don't like playing with anyone, then why play on 'With Anyone'? The name kinda' describes the experience for itself.
He is...? Too right, too. Some people really do take it too seriously. Not only does it spoil some of the game, but the others whom do play it how it was intended to be played get mocked. It's really rather unnecessary.

What on Earth is happening in your animated sig? It's so fast I can hardly judge it.

Roihu

Smash Ace
What on Earth is happening in your animated sig? It's so fast I can hardly judge it.
I think Pit is using an attack that immobilized him for a moment and Peach used her recovery to stage spike him.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Eh, sometimes you get lucky and your item settings go on. I had a few itemless "basic brawl" ffa's before.

On a random note:
I played a few with Anyone games a long time ago. One guy was using Bowser.

We got Mushroom Kingdom (underground), and I was using Sonic.

He fought for his life, and died once. Before he respawned, I planted a spring under him (keep in mind, this is at the top of the level), and while he was in the sky, his invincibility frames ran out and I U-aired him at 0% and killed him off the ceiling.

He went afk for at least 5 games after that happened XD.

`.`; I guess it's possible to piss some people off in With Anyone without using items.. lol

Tujex

Smash Ace
I do every now and then.

It's okay.....but most of the time I can barely even get a connection to play. And when I do, i always get people with crappy connections that lag terribly or disconnect completely.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
The only item i put on the is the spring, because throwing it and jumping off of it to attack is just fun xD

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I hope I don't get flamed for saying this. >.<

I don't normally play with items, but I think that a character's technique of wielding battering items is a strength or weakness of that character. So if there are no battering items, some characters will not have access to all of their strengths. I got this impression more from melee (Mewtwo and Peach and Sheik were all very good with a beamsword, more so than, say, Ness)
and I'm still not sure if the same holds for Brawl.

Personally I wouldn't mind fighting with the items on the approved list every now and again.

That's my theory.
*Waits to be flamed*

Best101

Smash Ace
I hope I don't get flamed for saying this. >.<

I don't normally play with items, but I think that a character's technique of wielding battering items is a strength or weakness of that character. So if there are no battering items, some characters will not have access to all of their strengths. I got this impression more from melee (Mewtwo and Peach and Sheik were all very good with a beamsword, more so than, say, Ness)
and I'm still not sure if the same holds for Brawl.

Personally I wouldn't mind fighting with the items on the approved list every now and again.

That's my theory.
*Waits to be flamed*
The common strategy for items is pick up and throw =)

Esoteric

Smash Apprentice
I will never understand why the online isn't more like Halo or Call of Duty 4. Boggles the mind.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
You know what you should do?

Make a level that's a large box with openings in the top corners, and ONLY turn on explosive items. Anything that explodes. Oh, and bumpers.

Awesome.

I wish online could do custom stages. I know it would take a bit longer to load, but you gotta wait 70 seconds anyway.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
HRB- if you hit the person, your pretty lucky because its easy to dodge
Any item- Oh looky, I can throw it at you, go and grab it, and throw it at you again :o
Pokeball- Go Goldeen? ..... *looks at opponents pokemon) Groudon? OH COME ON D:
Cracker Launcher- Spammable much?
1. Ike's F-smash, omg you're lucky if you hit them, it's pretty easy to dodge.
2. Oh, so suddenly, Peach, Diddy, Link, any item spawning character is like no skill?
3. Pokeballs would be one of hte banned items, don't use those as an example.
4. Wht abot all the other projectiles? Arrows? Lasers? Grenades?

Some items do take skill... It's like projectiles, really. The main thing is spawn points.

GotenOnNimbus

Smash Apprentice
I once had a few games in Basic with 3 Zeldas...All they did was sit at the end of the stage and crouch around each other.

I broke them up, and they just ran to the other side of the stage and did it again. >_>

This went on for like, five games....Then one switched to Peach, and the two Zeldas sat around the Peach...wtf.

JCMR-Brawler64

Smash Apprentice
:) Well, in "with anyone" only fights in Final Destination, maybe "Final WiFination" is a better name... I think this peoples only wants win at all coast, but wasting the game, is the better stage to fight,nothing happens and never stops your battle, but choose others stages. Some stages are stupids in Wifi matches like Hanenbow, 75m, New Pork City, (because is a bigger stage in 2:00 minutes).
And items, mmm, I like items but a fight without items FOR me... no problem.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
For those confused the baseball bat was thrown at me, not smashed at me.

And why is this thread of mine still alive..?

Quail Man

Smash Apprentice
Technically you can turn items off on "with anyone," but only if the majority of the players have them turned off on their personal settings (see those blue and green things in the up-right corner of the character select screen?). Unfortunately, your item settings and the stages that show up on "random" are the only rule settings that can be changed, so no stock matches or anything like that.

Archimonde

Smash Rookie
The pros of "With anyone"

urr
Umm you get to play people across the world?
What else...
umm...
Did i mention you get to play people across the world?

The cons:

Bad lag
Items... Nuff said
ONLY A 2 MINUTE TIME LIMIT (Time limits suck, I like taking my time with my enemy)
Forced free for all (why WHY nintendo did you make CPUs replace players that are not there?)

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
I could possibly enjoy a 1v1, 3stock, no-items with anyone option, but forced free-for-alls are pathetic. Don't forget that you can't choose whether you play with or without items, that you are playing a TIME-based game (not even stock!), and that you could be playing with someone who seems to use dial-up because of the horrendous lag of the match.

Once, the three-second countdown to the start of a with anyone match took about 15 seconds to happen on my game. Then, 20 seconds later, it had gone about a quarter of a second into the match, no buttons that I had input had registered, and I was booted from the match because I had lost connection with whoever Mr. Lag out there was. It made me laugh, roll my eyes, and want to cry all at the same time.

Top Bottom