• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Dark Lords' Interview Thread! [Victim: Opana]

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace

The Ganon Interview Thread

Get to know your community!

Ever wanted to know more about your fellow Ganons? I don't, but this is the place to find out! Every couple of weeks, I'll be interviewing a Ganon player from this very board. (I get to choose. Voting is for the weak.)

Hopefully, the entire community can use this thread to learn interesting tidbits about one another. Why does so and so use Ganon? What are their thoughts about Smash 4? Do they have a good looking sister? The possibilities are endless.

That's where this board comes in. When I choose someone to interview, I need questions to ask. Feel free to suggest any question that may cross your mind. I will choose the questions that I feel are the most interesting to ask and update them to this page, but the interviewee can answer all questions if he or she wants. While I hope that most of these questions are serious ones, it'll be great throwing in a funny one or two.

Have fun.

INTERVIEWEE LIST:
1. Vermanubis
2. DLA
3. Z1GMA
4. Ray Kalm
5. A2ZOMG
6. ???

First Victim: @ Vermanubis Vermanubis

Q. (DLA)
I like this idea. I've known Verm for years so I'll ask a more personal question: what are a few of the most significant ways Smash has changed your life? Be as general or as specific as you want. I personally love answering this question and I'd like to hear what Verm has to say.

A.
Big question, man. Brawl became a big part of my life as I was exiting probably the most unpleasant phase thereof. Being able to travel, meet new people and having tournaments to look forward to was a tremendous help in a pivotal transitionary period for me. Whether it have been relocations or significant turning points, the Smash community has always provided me with a concrete "home base" over the years.

It's also infuenced my mindset in regard to approaching new "tasks," "challenges" or whatever you wanna call them. Using Ganon's had a hand in planting the idea in my head that few things are out of reach, even if improbable. It probably sounds like a dumb platitude, but I suppose in a way that affected my tendency to have high expectations for myself, which prompted a more persistent side of me to develop. That is, because of this, my willingness to try new things and accept challenges I'dve otherwise not had the persistence to pursue developed. Whether or not I've had any success in these areas is questionable, but the willingness is there, at least. =P

Being involved with such a diverse pool of people's also dramatically influenced my perspectives. So yeah, Smash has definitely had a hand in my personal formation in the past 5-6 years, for sure. I've been to places and done things I'dve never otherwise been to or done without Smash.

Q. (Bittersweet)
Here's a question that can be for any interviewee. What drew you to Ganon in the first place? And when?

A.
This isn't much different from asking me "why do you choose to stay in your own body?"

I can't bring myself to play a character if I don't like both how they play and who they are as a character. It was ptobably in late '10 that I started to get serious with Ganon, because he was the only one who satisfied both those conditions. Playing a character that had to rely exclusively on reads forced me to develop as a player and realize things I hadn't before.

Though, over the eons, my MO's... "matured" a bit, for lack of a better word. I'm pathologically obsessive over problem solving and puzzles, and if a MU isn't impossible (in the literal, strictest sense of the word), I can't in good conscience use anyone else, lest I feel I'm abandoning an unsolved problem. Stupid stuff happens as Ganon, but I've never felt 100% helpless, which signifies, to me, anyway, that there's something going wrong on my part.

Q. (Xinc)
Who did you main in the previous installments of Smash? Also, favorite food?

A.
In Smash64, I used Falcon for the most part. When I was a young Warlock of a mere 666 I used Link (strictly subterfuge, I assure you) in Smash64 and Melee. Then at Brawl's beginning I used Fox, since the time was not then quite right to shepherd in the end of light and days. However, upon assuming my true form shortly thereafter, I retroactively mained Ganon in all Smashes--including Smash64 and reality itself.

As for food, aptly congruent with my FTilt, my tastes are pretty Spartan. Grilled chicken with broccoli and brown rice is probably up there in the highest echelons of food for me though. The lasagna I had at a diner in New Jersey with DLA and Grey was pretty fit for a King (of Evil), too.

Q. (Sykkamorre)
Are there any other fighting games that you play in a level similar to smash?

A.
Depends on what you mean by "level" -- that is, a level of commitment, or level of skill? If the former, Street Fighter overtook Brawl for a large chunk of time after the death of Brawl, so yeah, SF was a serious commitment for me, and still is to a degree. As for skill, I'd like to pretend I'm a fair SF player, approaching a similar level of skill as in Smash. But there are two problems here: 1. I have nothing to show for my SF endeavors because I so rarely can attend tourneys where I am, so I play online mostly, and 2. The assumption that my skill in Smash is beyong vestigial at best. :colorful:

MK9 was another one I played and did have a chance to attend tourneys in. I did pretty well in MK9 tourneys.

Q. (Z1GMA)
Verm, where do you see Ganon on the Future Tier List? What do you enjoy the most when playing Ganon?

A.
So hard to say, Mr. Zig. I definitely can't say he's the worst. But then again, I don't really know how bad the other candidates for "top 5 worst" are. Even with DACUS, I don't think he will be very high, but this is a far less severe statement to make in Smash 4 than Brawl. Primarily because the two ends of the tier list are closer together, in terms of gaps in viability. So I think even bad characters have a chance. All the same, I think he'll still be pretty low.The 5 best and most popular (according to SWF) characters in the game are arguably his 5 worst MUs, so I think his tourney life will still be a challenge.

As for the sadistic euphoria I derive from siphoning the very breath of life from the lungs of those who dare stand in pretense as my equal... aside from is just viscerally satisfying dynamic, as I said to Bitter, with Ganon, I feel I have to know <precisely> what my opponent is going to do and thinking. If I win as Ganon, especially against someone who knows the MU, the victory feels... I don't know... "complete."

Q. (Opana)
Do you intend to be an active tourney participant this time around? It'd be nothing short of wasteful to take a character like Ganon and neglect the theatrics :colorful:

A.
I most certainly will be an active tourneygoer. There is a very strong Smash scene in Spokane, WA, so I'll be heading their way for most of my tournaments. Boise, ID as well. The legacy lives on.

Q. (Ray Kalm)
I am the best Ganon, am I not? (You can only answer this question with a yes). How far do you think you can take Ganon in your area? Why do our opinions differ so much of Ganon's placement on the tier list? You say he's bottom five, I believe he's top 15-20. What is it about him, or about others that makes you think this way? Favourite color?

A.
If by "best Ganon" you mean, "best compatriot a Ganon could have" then certainly. :colorful:

As for differing opinions, I'm not entirely sure. Maybe we've just played dramatically different opponents? Thus far, I've already had my share of matches go to time because of campy Rosas, Diddys and Sheiks. Maybe you have, too, who knows? But in my opinion, his still-profound lack of approaches is a big deal. He excels in some scenarios, and suffers in many others. He excels when his opponent is willing to play his game and approach. He suffers when they're methodical. Not nearly so much as he did in Brawl though.

All the same, the reason I maintain that position isn't because I think he hasn't had some dramatic improvements, rather, because I don't know of any other character who I feel has the same problems in such magnitude. I'm open to the idea of him being at the top of low tier though. With DACUS, maybe even low-mid.

I think I could win tournaments as Ganon. Whether this is a delusion remains to be seen, but it's certainly what I expect of myself.

Lastly... is murder is a color? :ganondorf:

Q. (Opana)
Are you interested in having Ganon mirrors at one point? It doesn't have to be serious or anything, but I've always wanted to fight some of the top Ganons. 'll likely never be at a tourney near you, so it'd probably be online if yes. Aside from that though, any newcomers interest you in the slightest?

A.
Sure, dude. I'm not against Ganon dittos. As for newcomers, it's difficult to say. I've seen so truly little from them that it's difficult to judge. I'm interested in all the newcomers, in that which I'm happy that they're here, what precious few there are.

Q. (A2ZOMG)
When you listen to Ganon cry out in pain, what do you feel?

A.
Don't really know. Is pain the thing that makes everyone I murder make that awful face?

Q. (A2ZOMG)
So perhaps what I'm really asking from you and your superior insight, is perhaps what message do you get out of Ganondorf as he weathers the storm?

A.
If I'm getting your meaning, you mean, how do I interpret his unrelenting tenacity and marked inability to forfeit?

Q. Opana
Would you have still used Ganon if he had an overhaul? I know it depends on the moveset, but I imagine it'd be hard to move from him depite the moveset change.

A.
Sure, I wouldn't mind at all. Also, it's indeed definitely hard to say. As long his fundamental structure as a character didn't change (that is, high-risk/reward) I'd still play him. I could in no way bring myself to play a character predicated on attrition tactics. With Ganon and his general archetype, the satisfaction comes from the explicit recognition of patterns and dynamic problem-solving, in contrast to linear "flowcharty" metas, where the presence of direct answers to problems are abundant (e.g. what do you do as ZSS OoS? You UTilt). I think this is why Ganon mains are among the easiest to identify in a crowd, since each one plays so differently because of the requisite creativity to succeed as him.

Q. (Sykkamorre)
Have you had a victory that you will always remember, due to how epic the battle was?

A.
In Brawl/Smash4/anything? In Brawl, it'd probably be a split between my match with Bladewise, where I did a 2-stock comeback against his Marth. My MM with Ally's Falcon was pretty memorable, too. I did a kamikaze NAir to gimp him, which failed, but I was a stock ahead. And lastly for Brawl, my match against CaptAwesum's MK on BF. Did a Flipman > choke > choke > Fsmash for the win at like 43%. :ganondorf:

As for Smash 4, lots of memorable moments, but none from tournies, since I haven't been to one yet. But probably when I was about to die against a Ness who was almost a stock ahead, I knocked him offstage with a double FAir. He was about to recover from below me, so I dropped off the ledge and intercepted his PKT2 with a Ganoncide. :colorful:

Q. (Naroghin)
Oh Ganon the Annihilative: King of Cataclysm and Steward of Strife, Founder of the Flame and Hewer of Hearts, how many bodies must we, your humble DarkLink mains, amass before your fierce voracity is sated?

A.
No amount will satisfy. Murder is the elixir which chokes out the pestilence of hope. Where there is life, there is hope. Hope is the supreme pretense, for it is the failure to recognize absolute power.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second Victim: @ DLA DLA

Q. (A2ZOMG)
I'm sorry I don't actually know as much about you as some other Ganon users DLA. Why should I fear you? (videos would not be unreasonable).

A.
Do you fear death? Some people don't; for they're either too foolish to see their imminent demise, or too wretched to bother resisting. They are the lucky ones. As for the rest of you... you'd do well to keep a wide berth. I was dreaded across the realm for the terror and despair that pervaded in my wake. For the majority of my Brawl career, I was ranked as the top Ganon player results-wise, or #2 behind @@Vermanubis . Even though the question of "whose Ganon was better" was a point of contention between us for a while, I think I speak for us both when I say that neither of us had particularly spectacular results in the grand scheme of things--so we didn't let it bother us too much. I won tournaments and was consistently power ranked in my state since 2009, in part due to my formidable army of secondaries.

I'm also a huge PM player, and considered the best Diddy player in the midwest; I placed 13th out of 333 at The Big House 4 last month. Ganon is my strong secondary in that game, and will likely become a co-main once 3.5 rolls around. I also recently began focusing on Ganon in Melee and expect to be power ranked in that as well once the next iteration of rankings comes about.

Q. (A2ZOMG)
Secondly, I'll recycle my first question to Verm. What do you feel when Ganon cries out in pain?

A.
The same feeling I get when anyone cries out in pain: joy. Pure elation. All sounds of suffering playfully blossom upon my ears, even if the suffering happens to be my own.

Q. (Opana)
DLA, I've heard you're an amazing tech chaser, do you think that'll still hold true given how Flame Choke can be teched?

A.
I hope so. I wish I could give a proper answer, but my play has been pretty much restricted to For Glory, where most people don't know how to tech. As of now, I've basically been doing Brawl stuff to chase missed techs (SH fair or wizkick for roll away, run away+B reverse gerudo or aerial wizkick for getup attack, Fsmash/Ftilt for roll behind). Once I start fighting better people, I expect reads to be even weaker and harder to pull of than in Brawl--but hopefully, still possible. Sakurai really disappointed me with this move.

Q. (Z1GMA)
DLA, what "difficult" MU do you feel do really well in?

A.
Again, see my "For Glory" johns. I can't really say in Smash 4, but I know in Brawl, I loved the Peach matchup when everyone seemed to hate it. And I expect it to be the same in this game as well, unless there's anything to those silly 0-death combos I keep seeing on youtube.

Q. (Old Man Grey)
DLA, what is best in life?

A.
Organs. Playing them, forcibly removing them from bodies... it's all good fun.

Q. (Bittersweet)
As one of the greatest Ganons around , do you have any suggestions to other Ganons regarding how to get better? Like, what situations can we use to practice properly?

A.
Wifi was my lifeblood. One boon I'm incredibly thankful for is that Smash 4's netcode isn't utter ***, so you have a lot of opportunities to fight good players. Do ladders, online tournaments, whatever you can get your hands on. Of course, there's nothing better than going to tournaments and playing as many people as you can, so do that if you can.

As far as gameplay-specific suggestions, I've been finding more and more that the ability to not get hit is what separates the good players from the great players. There's nothing more intimidating and mindset-crumbling than a player who won't let you hit them. In context, this means that you're good at throwing out moves that are likely to hit and you're unlikely to get punished for. The best way to learn to hit more and get hit less is to play as many good players as you can--it'll come naturally.

Q. (Ray_Kalm)
Are you considering going all Ganon in Smash 4 tournaments?

A.
Yes, I'm strongly considering it. I feel I must mention that Smash 4 is likely to take a back seat to Melee and PM for me, but I'll still enter Smash 4 whenever I see it. So I'll be more inclined to stick with Ganon and push him as far as I can.

Q. (Opana)
May I ask what DLA stands for, if anything?

A.
Its meaning changes periodically. Well, it used to, anyways. The last one I made up for it was Angry Lebanese Dyslexic. Its original meaning is a secret.

Q. (A2ZOMG)
I guess this isn't quite as clever as I'd like, but nonetheless I do wonder: What aspects of Ganondorf do you find in daily life, applicable? (that was deliberately lame, apologies)

A.
Not lame. Dorfliness is godliness, as they say. I believe the most important Ganonic lesson I've gleaned is how to properly maintain one's beard, from whence one's power is derived. It is common knowledge that the shorter your beard, the less potent the lightning you can release from it. I've also been known to borrow from Gerudo fashion, as well as sprinting technique and posture. I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

Q. (Sykkamorre)
If Ganondorf was a flavour of delicious, delicious ice-cream , what's your favourite flavour and make of crisps?

A.
This question infuriates and arouses me. So my answer is yes.

Q. (Opana)
DLA, is Smash your favorite series/ What other games are you notably good at?

A.
Smash is the only game I've ever traveled across the country for, so I'd say yes, it is my favorite series. Besides that, I'd say my other love is the Elder Scrolls series. I've put way more time into playing and modding those games than I'd like to admit. I also played WoW for a long time and was pretty good at that, but quit a while ago.

Q. (Z1GMA)
How do you prepare before a long tourney-play?

A.
Usually I try to get a decent amount of sleep, make sure I'm showered, and I walk out of the house lookin fly. If you look good, you tend to feel good. Once I get to the venue, I try to play a few friendlies, or sometimes none at all. For some reason, I always feel like my first few matches of the day are the best matches I'll play. As the day goes on, I try not to exhaust myself playing friendlies, or eat anything greasy and disgusting. I tend to burn out easily; once that happens, I'm pretty much useless smash-wise.

Also if we're talking about Melee, I try to have at least one long practice session within a few days of the tournament, because your tech skill will atrophy in that game if you don't exercise it often. This hasn't been a problem lately, as I've been playing a lot of Dolphin netplay.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Third Victim: @ Z1GMA Z1GMA

Q. (Ray Kalm)
You come up with some pretty technical ideas, how much of this do you utilize in your gameplay? Have you ever been to a tournament using Ganon only? Sweden has a lot of good smashers from both Melee and Brawl, have you had a chance of playing any of which offline?

A.
In Brawl, I added a lot of it into my gameplay so that it was there naturally when I played. I think my strenght as a Ganon is that I use lots of ATs and "tricks". Not only the obvious ones like WKC, but also ATs that are more situational and require you to quickly see > seize the opportunity. But there's also a lot of stuff that's so situational, that it's "hard" to add it to your natural game, and more or less mess up your concentration/gameplay if you try to add it to your game. On 3DS, I currently play a pretty neutral Ganon w/o much help from ATs and stuff. It might be the controls, it might be the lack of C-sticking, or simply the fact that the game is still pretty new.
When the game comes out for WiiU, I'm sure things will get more interesting.

I went to a tournament in Sweden during the Brawl Era. I placed 3'rd out of 16 players using Ganon only.
(I went ZSS just for fun in round 2 Vs a Falco after winning round one as Ganon. It didn't really matter.) As for offline (Brawl), aside from that tourney, the only notable ones I've fought are Doopliss (a Luigi/ROB), Markus90 (a good Kirby), and Tonsana (a really good MK, Sheik, Snake, D3, C.Falcon, Ganon) Thankfully, Sweden is such a small country that playing other Swedes online feels almost like offline.

Q. (Sykkamorre)
What is your beverage of choice whilst gaming?

A. Being a Ganon, my beverage of choice whilst gaming is Spinal Fluids from puppies, but when I don't have access to that, I go with Coke or some healthy juice.

Q. (Opana)
Would you ever travel outside your country to attend a big tourney? What is your favorite and least favorite MU to play?

A.
It depends on what country. Atm, traveling to America to attend a tourney, is not on my map.

My favourite MUs atm would be Little Mac, C. Falcon, Bowser, and Charizard.
Little Mac: This MU is extremely dynamic. Both characters have the tools to completely destroy the other.
C. Falcon: Ganon Vs Falcon. Enough said.
Bowser and Charizard: Flame Choke Shenanigans.

Q. (DLA)
What stops you from going to more tournaments?

A.
Nothing really. My first tourney took place when Brawl started to fade a bit here is Sweden.
When the smash 4 WiiU Era begins, there should be lost of opportunities for me to attend tourneys here, though.

Q. (A2ZOMG)
Are there awesome ways to talk about Ganondorf in Swedish? Names, phrases, plays on words? Or is Sweden just too chill for that?

A.
Yes, there are.
One of them is "Ganon's Kassler", which sounds like Ganon's Castle.
Kassler means Smoked Pork Loin.

Q. (Sykkamorre)
Who are your secondaries, and what made you use them?

A.
Ganon and Mega Man are tied as my mains.
Secondaries are:
Sonic: He's recieved a massive power-up and is fast and fun to play.
Bowser: He's a house full of pain and fun this time around.
also some Lucario: The new way his aura works is a lot of fun, and he works really well Vs characters that have problems killing early.

It all comes down to fun-factor for me, and Ganon is, by far, the most fun to play character in both Brawl and Sm4sh.

Q. (Opana)
What are your thoughts on doubles, and do you perform well in them? Which non-legal stage is your favorite?

A.
I love doubles, and I believe I do well in them. In doubles, you and your partner can win by playing smart even if your opponents are technically better on paper.
As for Ganon, he's a monster in doubles. His partner can support him and help him when he's about to get gimped or when getting comboed and generally make up for his shortcomings, which means Ganon has sort of no weakness in doubles - only strenghts.
If ppl are at 80% damage, the kill hangs in the air for Ganon, and Gerudo creates some nasty Team Shenanigans together with a smart partner.

Favourite non legal stage? Magicant.

Q. (WhatisRaizen?)
Among all the Ganon players you've seen, whether offline or online, ranking from top to bottom, which of them do you think is the best to worst?

A.
Gungnir is probably the best Ganon atm.
As for worst: My Ganon in this match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmhdC7g5aLo

Q. (Opana)
Which Zelda game is your favorite? Does MM3D interest you?

A.
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, by far. It's magical.
I remember my first couple of hours playing that game as a kid. It was unreal.

Not at the moment.

Fourth Victim: @ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm

Q
. (A2ZOMG)
Are you actually from Pakistan? Also, what is your favorite movie or TV show?

A.
Yes, I am. My favourite movie would be Jurassic Park 3, and it has been for a long time. And my favorites after that would be the first two in the series.

Q. (Z1GMA)
What "hard" MU do you feel you do really well in?

A.
I believe that Greninja, Yoshi, Rosalina, Sheik, Zamus, and the dog are Ganon's hardest match-ups. Out of these, I would personally prefer to play Greninja the least, and Zamus the most.

Q. (Z1GMA)
What's your favourite combo with Ganon in sm4sh?

A.
Grab > Dash Attack is a blessing for Ganon. It's an early combo, and if you catch your opponent it will always hit. But what makes it special is that it has the ability to mix up more follow ups along with it, different for each character, and this makes it more fun.

Q. (Z1GMA)
What player do you enjoy battling offline the most?

A.
I remember a few years back @@Vermanubis was very eager to ditto my dorf. We played a couple of games, and this was the first time I saw another Ganon who attends offline tournaments regularly that has a lot of potential. He lost all the games we played, and I wanted to play him more after because of the enjoyment I had, but we never played again.

I generally enjoy good Ganon dittos. Gungnir and Ganonpon I also enjoy playing.

Q. (Z1GMA)
Where do you see Ganon in the future Tier List?

A.
Mid tier at the higher end at best, or mid tier at the lower end at worst. He is not a low tier character. He does good against most of the cast, but there are particular characters amongst the cast that will give him trouble. Out of the 51 characters there are so far, If I had to put him on a tier list right now, I would put him exactly at rank 23rd.

Q. (Z1GMA)
Do you feel "Ganon is the best character in the game at this!" regarding something?

A.
Yes. He can kill at times when no other character can. For example, he has a good forward and downward hitting angle fair which can kill at times when no other opponents can. Another example is his edgehogging to bair ability is definitely the best, many characters can't even do that at all.

Q. (Z1GMA)
Why are you so good with Uair?

A.
Embarrass ..you're making me blush. But, I'd say it's because of the amount of time I spent practising with it due to how much of a versatile move it can be. I've seen it used in ways by Japanese Ganons such as Gungnir and Ganonpon which I haven't seen before. It is a wonderfully versatile and powerful move. Probably Ganon's best.

Q. (Z1GMA)
Being so evil, does it hurt when you do something nice by mistake?

A.
I once gave candy to a little girl.. I couldn't look at myself in the mirror for seven days. :sadeyes:

Q. (DLA)
What are some of your real-life goals and aspirations?

A.
I'm currently in college, and plan on staying through the few years I have left and pursuing on afterwards. Living life with no regrets and not looking backwards. Life finds it's way for everyone.

Q. (Xinc)
Favorite food?

A.
Fish Briyani :).

Q. (Xinc)
Favorite drink?

A.
Blood of my friends Orange juice is great.

Q. (Xinc)
Sleeping habits?

A.
I sleep as much as I can.

Q. (Tonsana)
What is Ganondorfs best move?
What is your mindset during matches?
How can I be as patience as you? ^^

A.
Uair is Ganon's best move as I mentioned above. Ganon needs to be more than just patient in a match to win, you need precision in timing your moves, and it is worth it so much for Ganon because his moves are built like that. His moves are more of a one hit wonder, so slowly taking your time and figuring out your opponent benefits Ganon a lot.

Q. (Sykkamorre)
If I were to fanboy any harder from where I live, would you feel it?

A.
Depends. Do you fanboy with evil in mind?

Q. (Sykkamorre)
Would you be pleased if Rayman was added via dlc?

A.
Rayman is one of my lesser wanted DLCs wants.

Q. (Sykkamorre)
Are you an UMvC3 fan?

A.
I've watched a ton of footage of all major fighting games, but I'm only sticking with one at the moment.

Q. (Lozjam)
With the confirmation of a character balance update, what do you want to see changed with Ganondorf? What do you think they will change with Ganondorf?

A.
Combo potential. And I think I've gotten my request. He's much more coherent with his combo potential now.

Q. (A2ZOMG)
@ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm What's got you busy, or do you just not like interview threads?

A.
Sorry about that. With the release of the balance update and Smash Wii U, I got carried away.

Q. (Vermanubis)
I remember those matches. Can you believe it's been 4 years? Unbelievable.

A.
Yeah. The time flew by amazingly fast.

Q. (Z1GMA)
What character(s) do you play besides Ganon?

A.
I find myself slowly using Palutena more and more due to her giving me a very similar Ganon playstyle-like feeling. Asides from her, my Link is quite good too.

Q. (Lozjam)
Oh, I have a question. If you had a friend that was having a hard time playing with Ganondorf, but really wants to main him, how would you explain playing as Ganondorf to him?

A.
I'd let him know that to play Ganondorf you will have to be committed. Committed in acquiring the knowledge of the depths of patience, restraint and power. Hold yourself back until those right moments, and then release your power. Ganon can end the game in a few good reads, but getting those reads require work. If you look at any foe Ganon faces, you'll see that overall they need to hit Ganon a lot more than vice-versa, the average Ganon hit till KO ratio against the cast is 10-12 hits.

The more you achieve what I mentioned above, the easier it will be for you to normally be 'patient' and 'restraint' in your playstyle, so much so, that you would actually be glad that you picked up Ganon.

I'd also point out, out of the few many tournaments that happened so far around the world, Ganondorf ranked high in nearly all. In Japan, out of a 106 man tournament, Gungnir got second. Matt Hazard, @ Opana Opana , @Hi-Hatz, myself and others are also among those who placed high with Ganon.

As a Brawl Dorf who went to tournaments usually using Ganon, I can assure you, Ganon is much more capable this time around, but like any other character, he will require you to put work into him.

Fifth Victim: @ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm

Q.
(Sykkamorre)
A2ZOMG, do you remember me? Which char would you prefer to have as an ally in a 2v2? Favourite magician?

A.
Don't feel bad that I don't remember who you were previously (I assume you were registered earlier, but I don't remember too many people from UK). My priorities only allow me to focus on so many things at a time, y'know, in the name of greater evil things.

I am somewhat flattered you seem to deem me important enough for my attention of individuals to be of some kind of value, even though at best I'm probably just a lowly mini-boss in the grand scheme of evil hierarchies. Not trying to be modest, I don't have great tournament results, or many of them for that matter.

Currently, I don't have a big opinion on 2v2s in Smash 4 given I haven't seen much in the name of competitive results for Smash 4 teams. For Ganondorf however, I believe characters like Sheik, Metaknight, Sonic, and Pikachu have a lot of potential with Ganondorf. Basically, quick characters who can easily get grabs in 1v1s and also have moves that are good for clearing out multiple opponents or for setups.

I also believe Ganondorf's arch nemesis Zelda is also a great character in teams, though she is probably slightly uncooperative with Ganondorf. That being said, she is a great defensive character that can capitalize very hard, not unlike Ganondorf in teams. The way I see it, there's a bit of competition going on between the two.

My favorite magicians are Penn and Teller. In addition to their magical talents, like Ganondorf, they have a plan of action to influence the world.

Q. (Z1GMA)
What do you think is Ganon's hardest MU in this game? And how about easiest? Where do you see him in the future Tier List? What Custom Moves do you perfer and why? What do you think of Dsmash? Do you feel Ganon is the best character in the game at something? Being so evil, what's the nicest thing you've ever done? Do you watch anime?

A.
Ganondorf's hardest matchup by design has ALWAYS been that pesky runaway princess disguised as a ninja. Sheik. Always ruining Ganon's plans. SO UNDERHANDED!

Actually to be slightly more accurate, she is not strictly Ganondorf's hardest matchup. She just is the best example of a character that has tools that specifically are very difficult for Ganondorf to deal with. She camps well, ducks very low while crouching or leaning in on some of her attacks, has very fast attacks that can't be shieldgrabbed easily, and her combos and edgeguarding are very scary for Ganon. It would take an extremely disruptive amount of rebalancing for Ganondorf to do well against Sheik just because she technically has everything that Ganondorf hates.

I believe actually realistically, Diddy Kong is harder to play against than Sheik. Not because his gameplan is actually better than Sheik's against Ganon, but because he gets KOs more easily than Sheik, and because you have to learn slightly more matchup specific things to play around items. Similarly, a well played Villager seems like a very strange and difficult matchup to learn because some of his tricks are things that aren't really seen anywhere else. Gungnir played against the best Villager in Japan recently, and while I believe Villager is a solid character, it did seem like Gungnir also was not very experienced in that particular matchup.

satisfying.

Warlock Blade, in spite of its massive startup, I think is actually an okay move. You still get super armor on it, and the massive range on it lets you pressure zoning at a distance that is safe from tether grabs. Consider the Samus matchup. She has a lot of ways to harass you in midrange with her Z-air and projectiles. By being in range to Warlock Blade, if Samus commits to trying to space you out at range, you can tank some hits, and either potentially hit her or at least take a chunk out of her shield. Another nice thing about Warlock Blade is that this is potentially one of Ganondorf's best punishes against people trying to zone or bait you with charged Smashes.

Warlock Thrust also has its uses as an anti-air, though I prefer using F-air in most situations. WDK while I know is extremely useful for many reasons, I personally want to experiment with more so that I understand how to space with it.

As for SideB, nothing compares to default Flame Choke thematically imo. Just the way it feels and puts your opponent in a position where they are at your mercy.

Ganondorf leans far forward on the first kick. This allows D-smash to serve as something of a counter to several common spacing tactics. Now if only the move actually worked correctly on shields...

until Ganondorf gets serious.

I do.

I will watch any genre of anime for the most part. I primarily lean towards male-targeted comedies, action, and fantasy. Shows like The Daily Lives of High School Boys, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Heaven's Lost Property are things I enjoy a lot. My absolute favorite anime is a slice of life, Genshiken. Keep in mind I used to run an Anime Club at University of California, Santa Barbara.

Lately, I haven't watched as much anime, because League of Legends and Smash Bros have gotten my attention. I however enjoy critically analyzing anime, because through entertainment, we can analyze culture and society.

Also, it's worth noting that my favorite anime characters, if they aren't highly attractive women, they generally are veryverymanlymen. I swear it's not because I'm compensating for anything, it's just a kind of raw appreciation for characters of both moral and physical strength and confidence.

Q. (Opana)
Why are your mains so varied throughout the games?

A.
I think it's worth keeping in mind, I main Mario, G&W, and Ganondorf in all the Smash games. Yes, including Smash 64, I make it happen.

Mario is my absolute favorite character, being I grew up with Mario, and he also has t3h ph1r3!one1 And G&W is like a grandfather to me. Ganondorf however appeals to masculine ideals, like power, tenacity, proper attire, and giving it your all.

I don't see a problem with idolizing all three of these characters. I believe they are the best and most powerful representations of what Nintendo has to offer!

Q. (Opana)
Who are you worst with in Smash 4?

A.
I can't actually answer that...given I don't have the game yet. Instead, I will state that I don't actually know very much about Olimar, Pac-Man, and Villager.

Q. (Opana)
Did you have a most wanted newcomer?

A.
Bowser Jr...honestly. I theorized many years ago he would be a good fit for Smash Bros. It just never occurred to me that he would ride the clown car, along with the Koopalings. I would have more expected him to have a moveset reminiscent of Super Mario Sunshine, while they really only did that for his Final Smash.

If I had my way, I probably would have wanted Ridley, Paper Mario, and Slippy as playable characters.

Q. (Sykkamorre)
Favourite MU in Sm4sh?

A.
Nothing is more entertaining than the epitome of pure power that is Ganon dittos. Ganondorf pays a lot of respect for himself, and punishes himself hard for mistakes. It's so evil, yet truly honorable.

As for non-ditto matchups, I believe Captain Falcon and Fox are fun matchups for Ganondorf too. Both rewarding and challenging simultaneously. These characters can outmaneuver you, but they have to respect you before fighting head on. They can punish your mistakes well if you are not careful, but you also destroy them when you catch onto their spacing.

Q. (Hi-Hatz)
What is one question that you would love to answer, and what is the answer to that question?

A.
This isn't related to anything specifically tied to Ganon, but I would gladly answer what I believe the most important thing in life is. Until it's proven that the answer to life is something insane like "42", it's important to remember that every statement and observation ever made in the history of our intelligent species is always subjective. Knowing where a viewpoint comes from is more critical and comes before determining the validity of it, and gives us a much better chance of us all being friends.

Q. (Xinc)
Quick question: Favorite stage?

A.
That's honestly a really difficult question to answer. I like almost all the stages in this game, simply because they're good looking and have amazing music. I'm thinking for me it's a tie between Castle Siege and Final Destination, given I both like how they're structured and I like the aesthetics a lot.

My least favorite stage to play on overall is Onett. That stage is complete nonsense to play on during single player modes. The walls only really serve to allow high level CPUs to stage tech hits constantly. You have to get in awkward positions to avoid the cars, as well as secure KOs on CPUs. And I personally feel like they could have done better with the Earthbound related soundtracks they included in this game. At least on a stage like 75m during Crazy Orders, the CPU will often kill itself against the moving fireballs or Donkey Kong.

Q. (Sykkamorre)
Do you ever get greedy offstage when you're on an opponent's last stock?

Like going for incredibly fancy gimpage...and dying like a fool.

A.
I still SD about...5-10% of the time when edgeguarding, partly due to online lag, partly because I have legitimately terrible technical skill. I would say that my edgeguarding outside of that is generally very consistent and conservative though. I DO like styling, but I don't prefer putting myself in positions where I can throw.

The times I go for really fancy stuff...are games where I basically have a near guaranteed 2 stock or JV 3 against inexperienced players on For Glory. What better time to practice the limits of risky edgeguarding than that?

Sixth Victim: @ Opana Opana

Last edited:

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I like this idea. I've known Verm for years so I'll ask a more personal question: what are a few of the most significant ways Smash has changed your life? Be as general or as specific as you want. I personally love answering this question and I'd like to hear what Verm has to say.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Definitely sounds interesting.

Here's a question I have: Who did you main in the previous installments of Smash? Also, favorite food?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Certainly didn't expect this!

Big question, man. Brawl became a big part of my life as I was exiting probably the most unpleasant phase thereof. Being able to travel, meet new people and having tournaments to look forward to was a tremendous help in a pivotal transitionary period for me. Whether it have been relocations or significant turning points, the Smash community has always provided me with a concrete "home base" over the years.

It's also infuenced my mindset in regard to approaching new "tasks," "challenges" or whatever you wanna call them. Using Ganon's had a hand in planting the idea in my head that few things are out of reach, even if improbable. It probably sounds like a dumb platitude, but I suppose in a way that affected my tendency to have high expectations for myself, which prompted a more persistent side of me to develop. That is, because of this, my willingness to try new things and accept challenges I'dve otherwise not had the persistence to pursue developed. Whether or not I've had any success in these areas is questionable, but the willingness is there, at least. =P

Being involved with such a diverse pool of people's also dramatically influenced my perspectives. So yeah, Smash has definitely had a hand in my personal formation in the past 5-6 years, for sure. I've been to places and done things I'dve never otherwise been to or done without Smash.

Here's a question that can be for any interviewee. What drew you to Ganon in the first place? And when?
This isn't much different from asking me "why do you choose to stay in your own body?"

I can't bring myself to play a character if I don't like both how they play and who they are as a character. It was ptobably in late '10 that I started to get serious with Ganon, because he was the only one who satisfied both those conditions. Playing a character that had to rely exclusively on reads forced me to develop as a player and realize things I hadn't before.

Though, over the eons, my MO's... "matured" a bit, for lack of a better word. I'm pathologically obsessive over problem solving and puzzles, and if a MU isn't impossible (in the literal, strictest sense of the word), I can't in good conscience use anyone else, lest I feel I'm abandoning an unsolved problem. Stupid stuff happens as Ganon, but I've never felt 100% helpless, which signifies, to me, anyway, that there's something going wrong on my part.

Definitely sounds interesting.

Here's a question I have: Who did you main in the previous installments of Smash? Also, favorite food?
In Smash64, I used Falcon for the most part. When I was a young Warlock of a mere 666 I used Link (strictly subterfuge, I assure you) in Smash64 and Melee. Then at Brawl's beginning I used Fox, since the time was not then quite right to shepherd in the end of light and days. However, upon assuming my true form shortly thereafter, I retroactively mained Ganon in all Smashes--including Smash64 and reality itself.

As for food, aptly congruent with my FTilt, my tastes are pretty Spartan. Grilled chicken with broccoli and brown rice is probably up there in the highest echelons of food for me though. The lasagna I had at a diner in New Jersey with DLA and Grey was pretty fit for a King (of Evil), too.

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Have you started on the game of infinite sadness and despair yet?

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Verm, where do you see Ganon on the Future Tier List?
What do you enjoy the most when playing Ganon?
Beeing so evil - do you eat kittens?

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I wouldn't mind be an interviewee

@Verm, you type how I write when furthering my story lol. It's awesome

Do you intend to be an active tourney participant this time around?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Have you started on the game of infinite sadness and despair yet?
aernbao9ubna359pb 9iefnt pma 0i69tname9it0na;teimg

Depends on what you mean by "level" -- that is, a level of commitment, or level of skill? If the former, Street Fighter overtook Brawl for a large chunk of time after the death of Brawl, so yeah, SF was a serious commitment for me, and still is to a degree. As for skill, I'd like to pretend I'm a fair SF player, approaching a similar level of skill as in Smash. But there are two problems here: 1. I have nothing to show for my SF endeavors because I so rarely can attend tourneys where I am, so I play online mostly, and 2. The assumption that my skill in Smash is beyong vestigial at best. :colorful:

MK9 was another one I played and did have a chance to attend tourneys in. I did pretty well in MK9 tourneys.

Verm, where do you see Ganon on the Future Tier List?
What do you enjoy the most when playing Ganon?
So hard to say, Mr. Zig. I definitely can't say he's the worst. But then again, I don't really know how bad the other candidates for "top 5 worst" are. Even with DACUS, I don't think he will be very high, but this is a far less severe statement to make in Smash 4 than Brawl. Primarily because the two ends of the tier list are closer together, in terms of gaps in viability. So I think even bad characters have a chance. All the same, I think he'll still be pretty low.The 5 best and most popular (according to SWF) characters in the game are arguably his 5 worst MUs, so I think his tourney life will still be a challenge.

As for the sadistic euphoria I derive from siphoning the very breath of life from the lungs of those who dare stand in pretense as my equal... aside from is just viscerally satisfying dynamic, as I said to Bitter, with Ganon, I feel I have to know <precisely> what my opponent is going to do and thinking. If I win as Ganon, especially against someone who knows the MU, the victory feels... I don't know... "complete."

Beeing so evil - do you eat kittens?
Zig, you saw that picture from long ago that I posted. You already know the answer. :ganondorf:

I wouldn't mind be an interviewee

@Verm, you type how I write when furthering my story lol. It's awesome

Do you intend to be an active tourney participant this time around?
It'd be nothing short of wasteful to take a character like Ganon and neglect the theatrics :colorful:

I most certainly will be an active tourneygoer. There is a very strong Smash scene in Spokane, WA, so I'll be heading their way for most of my tournaments. Boise, ID as well. The legacy lives on. :ganondorf:

Last edited:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
How far do you think you can take Ganon in your area?

Why do our opinions differ so much of Ganon's placement on the tier list? You say he's bottom five, I believe he's top 15-20. What is it about him, or about others, that makes you think this way?

Favourite color?

Last edited:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I am the best Ganon, am I not? (You can only answer this question with a yes).

Why do our opinions differ so much of Ganon's placement on the tier list? You say he's bottom five, I believe he's top 15-20. What is it about him, or about others that makes you think this way?

Favourite color?
If by "best Ganon" you mean, "best compatriot a Ganon could have" then certainly. :colorful:

As for differing opinions, I'm not entirely sure. Maybe we've just played dramatically different opponents? Thus far, I've already had my share of matches go to time because of campy Rosas, Diddys and Sheiks. Maybe you have, too, who knows? But in my opinion, his still-profound lack of approaches is a big deal. He excels in some scenarios, and suffers in many others. He excels when his opponent is willing to play his game and approach. He suffers when they're methodical. Not nearly so much as he did in Brawl though.

All the same, the reason I maintain that position isn't because I think he hasn't had some dramatic improvements, rather, because I don't know of any other character who I feel has the same problems in such magnitude. I'm open to the idea of him being at the top of low tier though. With DACUS, maybe even low-mid.

I think I could win tournaments as Ganon. Whether this is a delusion remains to be seen, but it's certainly what I expect of myself.

purple and yellow--the colors of evil and the pee that Ganon makes come out in people's pants

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Are you interested in having Ganon mirrors at one point? It doesn't have to be serious or anything, but I've always wanted to fight some of the top Ganons. 'll likely never be at a tourney near you, so it'd probably be online if yes.

Aside from that though, any newcomers interest you in the slightest?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Are you interested in having Ganon mirrors at one point? It doesn't have to be serious or anything, but I've always wanted to fight some of the top Ganons. 'll likely never be at a tourney near you, so it'd probably be online if yes.

Aside from that though, any newcomers interest you in the slightest?
Sure, dude. I'm not against Ganon dittos. As for newcomers, it's difficult to say. I've seen so truly little from them that it's difficult to judge. I'm interested in all the newcomers, in that which I'm happy that they're here, what precious few there are.

Don't really know. Is pain the thing that makes everyone I murder make that awful face?

Last edited:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Oh Ganon the Annihilative: King of Cataclysm and Steward of Strife, Founder of the Flame and Hewer of Hearts, how many bodies must we, your humble DarkLink mains, amass before your fierce voracity is sated?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Perhaps. Ganondorf being the honorable villain he is though, he lets himself be abused often by the ingrates that would dare to bring light to his lair. All of this of course I'm certain is part of Ganondorf's bigger plan for victory, leading up to his moment of truth when the puny dissenters are punished to the most excruciating extent possible.

So perhaps what I'm really asking from you and your superior insight, is perhaps what message do you get out of Ganondorf as he weathers the storm?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Awesome, I'll message you at some point if you don't mind.

Would you have still used Ganon if he had an overhaul? I know it depends on the moveset, but I imagine it'd be hard to move from him depite the moveset change.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Perhaps. Ganondorf being the honorable villain he is though, he lets himself be abused often by the ingrates that would dare to bring light to his lair. All of this of course I'm certain is part of Ganondorf's bigger plan for victory, leading up to his moment of truth when the puny dissenters are punished to the most excruciating extent possible.

If I'm getting your meaning, you mean, how do I interpret his unrelenting tenacity and marked inability to forfeit?

Awesome, I'll message you at some point if you don't mind.

Sure, I wouldn't mind at all. Also, it's indeed definitely hard to say. As long his fundamental structure as a character didn't change (that is, high-risk/reward) I'd still play him. I could in no way bring myself to play a character predicated on attrition tactics. With Ganon and his general archetype, the satisfaction comes from the explicit recognition of patterns and dynamic problem-solving, in contrast to linear "flowcharty" metas, where the presence of direct answers to problems are abundant (e.g. what do you do as ZSS OoS? You UTilt). I think this is why Ganon mains are among the easiest to identify in a crowd, since each one plays so differently because of the requisite creativity to succeed as him.

Have you had a victory that you will always remember, due to how epic the battle was?
In Brawl/Smash4/anything? In Brawl, it'd probably be a split between my match with Bladewise, where I did a 2-stock comeback against his Marth. My MM with Ally's Falcon was pretty memorable, too. I did a kamikaze NAir to gimp him, which failed, but I was a stock ahead. And lastly for Brawl, my match against CaptAwesum's MK on BF. Did a Flipman > choke > choke > Fsmash for the win at like 43%. :ganondorf:

As for Smash 4, lots of memorable moments, but none from tournies, since I haven't been to one yet. But probably when I was about to die against a Ness who was almost a stock ahead, I knocked him offstage with a double FAir. He was about to recover from below me, so I dropped off the ledge and intercepted his PKT2 with a Ganoncide. :colorful:

No amount will satisfy. Murder is the elixir which chokes out the pestilence of hope. Where there is life, there is hope. Hope is the supreme pretense, for it is the failure to recognize absolute power.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
It is true, I play differently with everyone after using Ganon lol.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I believe you have answered more than adequately for my questions. Yes, I see it and it should have been obvious! Ganondorf's will never falters. That is perhaps the real truth to Ganondorf.

If I ever get interviewed though, I dare say that I have an interesting perspective on what I feel as Ganondorf briefly tolerates abuse from lightbringers in his conquest of all the fighters and lands.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I believe you have answered more than adequately for my questions. Yes, I see it and it should have been obvious! Ganondorf's will never falters. That is perhaps the real truth to Ganondorf.

If I ever get interviewed though, I dare say that I have an interesting perspective on what I feel as Ganondorf briefly tolerates abuse from lightbringers in his conquest of all the fighters and lands.
I actually have a question for you, are you a tourney goer? Were you a prominent player at one point?

Something about you just feels....professional? Not sure, but I feel like you're a good dorf user at the least, although my word doesn't mean as much as the more experienced I'm sure.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I actually have a question for you, are you a tourney goer? Were you a prominent player at one point?

Something about you just feels....professional? Not sure, but I feel like you're a good dorf user at the least, although my word doesn't mean as much as the more experienced I'm sure.
I'll answer questions like this either when it's my turn, in social, or privately. Take your pick. I don't intend to derail this thread.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I'll answer questions like this either when it's my turn, in social, or privately. Take your pick. I don't intend to derail this thread.
Oh, thought this was for all users, sorry then I guess I misunderstood.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
We will pour the elixir unending; a torrent of blood and fire our eternal succor.

Last edited:

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
Okay great stuff guys! Let's move on to @ DLA DLA now.

Anubis' interview:

Q. (DLA)

A.

Q. (Bittersweet)

A.

Q. (Xinc)
Who did you main in the previous installments of Smash? Also, favorite food?

A.

Q. (Sykkamorre)

A.

Q. (Z1GMA)
Verm, where do you see Ganon on the Future Tier List? What do you enjoy the most when playing Ganon?

A.

Q. (Opana)
Do you intend to be an active tourney participant this time around? It'd be nothing short of wasteful to take a character like Ganon and neglect the theatrics :colorful:

A.
I most certainly will be an active tourneygoer. There is a very strong Smash scene in Spokane, WA, so I'll be heading their way for most of my tournaments. Boise, ID as well. The legacy lives on.

Q. (Ray Kalm)

I am the best Ganon, am I not? (You can only answer this question with a yes).

Why do our opinions differ so much of Ganon's placement on the tier list? You say he's bottom five, I believe he's top 15-20. What is it about him, or about others that makes you think this way?

Favourite color?

A.

Q. (Opana)
Are you interested in having Ganon mirrors at one point? It doesn't have to be serious or anything, but I've always wanted to fight some of the top Ganons. 'll likely never be at a tourney near you, so it'd probably be online if yes. Aside from that though, any newcomers interest you in the slightest?

A.

Q. (A2ZOMG)

A.

Q. (A2ZOMG)

A.

Q. Opana

A.

Q. (Sykkamorre)

A.

Q. (Naroghin)

A.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm sorry I don't actually know as much about you as some other Ganon users DLA. Why should I fear you? (videos would not be unreasonable)

Secondly, I'll recycle my first question to Verm. What do you feel when Ganon cries out in pain?

(I might try harder later to ask something else interesting)

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
DLA, I've heard you're an amazing tech chaser, do you think that'll still hold true given how Flame Choke can be teched?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
DLA, what "difficult" MU do you feel you do really well in?

Last edited:

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I'm sorry I don't actually know as much about you as some other Ganon users DLA. Why should I fear you? (videos would not be unreasonable)
Do you fear death? Some people don't; for they're either too foolish to see their imminent demise, or too wretched to bother resisting. They are the lucky ones. As for the rest of you... you'd do well to keep a wide berth. I was dreaded across the realm for the terror and despair that pervaded in my wake. For the majority of my Brawl career, I was ranked as the top Ganon player results-wise, or #2 behind @ Vermanubis Vermanubis . Even though the question of "whose Ganon was better" was a point of contention between us for a while, I think I speak for us both when I say that neither of us had particularly spectacular results in the grand scheme of things--so we didn't let it bother us too much. I won tournaments and was consistently power ranked in my state since 2009, in part due to my formidable army of secondaries.

I'm also a huge PM player, and considered the best Diddy player in the midwest; I placed 13th out of 333 at The Big House 4 last month. Ganon is my strong secondary in that game, and will likely become a co-main once 3.5 rolls around. I also recently began focusing on Ganon in Melee and expect to be power ranked in that as well once the next iteration of rankings comes about.

As for videos... here are some "recent" ones from Brawl:

Ganon Gauntlets:

vs. Leon

vs. Zeton

vs. Heru (good European MK)

vs. Deltacod

vs. Espy Kasrani

Full match:

vs. MJG

The same feeling I get when anyone cries out in pain: joy. Pure elation. All sounds of suffering playfully blossom upon my ears, even if the suffering happens to be my own.

I hope so. I wish I could give a proper answer, but my play has been pretty much restricted to For Glory, where most people don't know how to tech. As of now, I've basically been doing Brawl stuff to chase missed techs (SH fair or wizkick for roll away, run away+B reverse gerudo or aerial wizkick for getup attack, Fsmash/Ftilt for roll behind). Once I start fighting better people, I expect reads to be even weaker and harder to pull of than in Brawl--but hopefully, still possible. Sakurai really disappointed me with this move.

DLA, what "difficult" MU do you feel do really well in?
Again, see my "For Glory" johns. I can't really say in Smash 4, but I know in Brawl, I loved the Peach matchup when everyone seemed to hate it. And I expect it to be the same in this game as well, unless there's anything to those silly 0-death combos I keep seeing on youtube.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Would you be up for mirrors at some point? Haven't fought enough Ganon's to learn the tech, but that doesn't mean I can't learn lol.

Bittersweet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eskay64
3DS FC
2449-5765-1828
As one of the greatest Ganons around , do you have any suggestions to other Ganons regarding how to get better? Like, what situations can we use to practice properly?

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Would you be up for mirrors at some point? Haven't fought enough Ganon's to learn the tech, but that doesn't mean I can't learn lol.
Absolutely. I'm free a lot of weeknights and weekends, just send me a message when you're free and we'll set it up.

DLA, what is best in life?
Organs. Playing them, forcibly removing them from bodies... it's all good fun.

Wifi was my lifeblood. One boon I'm incredibly thankful for is that Smash 4's netcode isn't utter ass, so you have a lot of opportunities to fight good players. Do ladders, online tournaments, whatever you can get your hands on. Of course, there's nothing better than going to tournaments and playing as many people as you can, so do that if you can.

As far as gameplay-specific suggestions, I've been finding more and more that the ability to not get hit is what separates the good players from the great players. There's nothing more intimidating and mindset-crumbling than a player who won't let you hit them. In context, this means that you're good at throwing out moves that are likely to hit and you're unlikely to get punished for. The best way to learn to hit more and get hit less is to play as many good players as you can--it'll come naturally.

Are you considering going all Ganon in Smash 4 tournaments?
Yes, I'm strongly considering it. I feel I must mention that Smash 4 is likely to take a back seat to Melee and PM for me, but I'll still enter Smash 4 whenever I see it. So I'll be more inclined to stick with Ganon and push him as far as I can.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I would absolutely love that, I'm a fan of tech chasing and would love to see the master in action.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I guess this isn't quite as clever as I'd like, but nonetheless I do wonder:

What aspects of Ganondorf do you find in daily life, applicable? (that was deliberately lame, apologies)

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
If Ganondorf was a flavour of delicious, delicious ice-cream...

What's your favourite flavour and make of crisps?

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Its meaning changes periodically. Well, it used to, anyways. The last one I made up for it was Angry Lebanese Dyslexic. Its original meaning is a secret.

I guess this isn't quite as clever as I'd like, but nonetheless I do wonder:

What aspects of Ganondorf do you find in daily life, applicable? (that was deliberately lame, apologies)
Not lame. Dorfliness is godliness, as they say. I believe the most important Ganonic lesson I've gleaned is how to properly maintain one's beard, from whence one's power is derived. It is common knowledge that the shorter your beard, the less potent the lightning you can release from it. I've also been known to borrow from Gerudo fashion, as well as sprinting technique and posture. I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

If Ganondorf was a flavour of delicious, delicious ice-cream...

What's your favourite flavour and make of crisps?
This question infuriates and arouses me. So my answer is yes.

Top Bottom