• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Dark Knight(I can't believe that there isn't a thread for this)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
I give the movie 4.5/5 stars.

The half star that's missing is Christian Bale's horrible/annoying/overused fake voice that he uses when he's in his Batman outfit. He sounds like he's trying to swallow a rock.

al-x_clip

Smash Apprentice
I give the movie 4.5/5 stars.

The half star that's missing is Christian Bale's horrible/annoying/overused fake voice that he uses when he's in his Batman outfit. He sounds like he's trying to swallow a rock.
hahaha yeah i agree his voice is so fake when he's batman its so stupid. he's trying to sound buff and cool at the same time
his voice EPIC FAILS

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
^^^^

I highly agree with the above posts. Bale's Batman voice is just...

... No. -.-;

Wonderful movie, though. Heath Ledger is going to get a post-humorous award for best actor. The animation for the burnt part of Two-Face's face is excellent.

"How about a little magic trick?"

Joker = win.

4 1/2 stars. (BAD BATMAN VOICE. BAD.)

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
What would you suggest Batman do, use his regular voice so everyone recognizes him? Use his regular, totally non-threatening voice so it doesn't strike at least some fear into his enemies?

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
What would you suggest Batman do, use his regular voice so everyone recognizes him? Use his regular, totally non-threatening voice so it doesn't strike at least some fear into his enemies?
Christian Bale's interpretation of Bruce's Batman voice is what is irking us. He does a wonderful 'public' Bruce Wayne, an okay 'not Batman' Bruce Wayne, but the voice is what kills 'Batman' Bruce Wayne. At least get a stunt double or somebody with a better impersonation of Batman to voice Bats... .__."

Maybe if Batman just didn't speak much... Hmm. That would freak out some already mentally disturbed criminals.

OffTheChain

Smash Ace
The whole crew gave very good performances, but Heath stole the show without a doubt, that and his screen time makes me wonder why it wasn't called 'Joker'. He was mind boggling and perfect, I honestly did not think he was capable of delivering so strongly even with all the hype.

I wasn't a fan of the fighting scenes that much, suit seems to make Batman sluggish. Where are the flying kicks and acrobatics? Batman didn't fight like he had any martial arts training which made the fighting one of the weaker elements of the movie, a little like the last fight in Ironman.

This movie was better then the first but not perfect like some die hard fanboys/girls are making it out to be however it was very close to its credit.

I give it a 9/10

R.I.P. Heath

Lixivium

Smash Champion
My problems with this movie:

1) Batman is completely overshadowed by the Joker and even Harvey Dent. This is not just in the performances but really in the WRITING. Sure, Batman can beat up some SWAT members, do some acrobatics, and "see in the dark", but what's that compared with the Joker, who can do pretty much anything and everything? I mean the Joker is like a cross between Jigsaw and Simon Gruber. It's a total mismatch of the hero vs. the villain and it takes away all suspense.

2) Batman let the Joker go like a dozen times when he could have just killed him. It's the same "stupid victim syndrome" you see in horror movies, except more infuriating. It's partially a credit to Ledger for making the Joker such a great villain, but once you do that it's real hard for me to empathize why Batman can't just kill him. "Oh, I can't kill the Joker, that would make me some kind of monster" - he's basically sacrificing dozens if not hundreds of lives for his personal pride. Can it really be that hard to live with yourself? Whenever I see something like that in a story I feel like I'm being emotionally manipulated for the sake of advancing the plot.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
What really ticks me off IRL is when people who don't read know anything about the comics bash (not criticize) the movie like they have any idea of what the Batman universe (if not DC and comics as an entirety itself) entails. Of course, their job is to throw a football to stay is school, so I shouldn't really expect anything, but it just bothers me.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
2) Batman let the Joker go like a dozen times when he could have just killed him. It's the same "stupid victim syndrome" you see in horror movies, except more infuriating. It's partially a credit to Ledger for making the Joker such a great villain, but once you do that it's real hard for me to empathize why Batman can't just kill him. "Oh, I can't kill the Joker, that would make me some kind of monster" - he's basically sacrificing dozens if not hundreds of lives for his personal pride. Can it really be that hard to live with yourself? Whenever I see something like that in a story I feel like I'm being emotionally manipulated for the sake of advancing the plot.
I disagree, I thought that was one of the most important aspects of Batman's personality.

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
Well I agree with that logic... it's just that Christian Bale blows at it. Throw the Batman in from the 1980's version *looks up name* Michael Keaton. HE could do the voice good.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Well I agree with that logic... it's just that Christian Bale blows at it. Throw the Batman in from the 1980's version *looks up name* Michael Keaton. HE could do the voice good.
He did a good job, but the best in my opinion is Kevin Conroy who has voiced Batman for Batman: The Animated Series, the Justice League, The New Batman Adventures, Mask of the Phantasm which is the most epic Batman movie ever, and most recently Gotham Knight which was rather meh.

A more perfect Batman there isn't.

hugglebunny

Smash Journeyman
everybody just hates on christian bale cuz heath ledger just ownz his butt up!!!
lol not really, they shoud get a cooler stunt batman to do the voice like... james earl jones or somebody.

or...

Chuck Norris since he can do everything

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Woah...just whoa. And I thought Iron Man was good. Dark Knight blew my mind. This is a masterpiece in every definition of the word.

So what does everyone think about Two-Face's ambiguous fate? It was implied that he was killed, but I think I remember Chris Nolan saying that he purposefully left Dent's fate ambiguous so he could decide his canonical status later. But I can't remember, so if anyone has a quote, it would be helpful.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Dick Grayson is Robin, and they have stated there is no intention of ever adding him.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
does anyone else see Reese as Robin?
Reese as "The Boy Wonder"? He looks 30.

Plus, what CK said.

So what does everyone think about Two-Face's ambiguous fate? It was implied that he was killed, but I think I remember Chris Nolan saying that he purposefully left Dent's fate ambiguous so he could decide his canonical status later. But I can't remember, so if anyone has a quote, it would be helpful.
Well...they held a funeral for him at the end of the movie. So I think it's safe to say he's a goner.

Plus, think of what it would mean for him to live. The movie places all this emphasis on the fact that Dent was the last glittering symbol of hope for Gotham. It's not just the fact that he's good at cleaning up the streets; it's the fact that he seems incorruptible. He was supposed to be proof that not EVERYTHING in the world is destined to give in to evil's demands. If Dent lives, then his corruption would become public knowledge. Not only does that completely defeat the purpose of Batman going on the run, taking the blame for what Harvey did, but it also kills the spirits of Gotham's citizens. The movie sets it up so that Dent's good name is LITERALLY the only thing that is keeping Gotham's foundation from crumbling.

Harvey lives —> The evil deeds he committed come to light —> Gotham's citizens lose faith in "good" —> Gotham destroys itself

For the sake of The Dark Knight's theme, Dent can't be in the next movie.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Actually, he just can't be publicly alive.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Actually, he just can't be publicly alive.
I suppose that's true.

But if that's the case, I wonder what the point of adding him to the next movie would be. He hides out for a while, then springs back into the light of day half way through the movie anddddddd...what? Picks up where he left off and goes after Gordon's family because he's still crazy? Then Batman just stops him again. And it offers no new thematic element to the story. I don't see what Nolan would gain from keeping him in the next movie. He's already milked Two-Face of all the thematic plot points that he can.

At this point, Nolan's either looking at continuing the "unstoppable force vs. immovable object" relationship that The Joker and Batman have (which seems like the best route to go story-wise, but Ledger's untimely passing throws quite the monkey wrench into that machine), or he introduces a new enemy with a new theme to convey (and the Riddler and Penguin rumors have already begun on that note).

Viroxor

Smash Ace
I just can't see the Riddler working in Nolan's darker version of Batman. Catwoman? With Halle Berry still out and about, no way, Jose. The Penguin I could see working. Maybe they could bring back Ra's Al-Ghul somehow and/or possibly Talia. I would be partial to Killer Croc, but he'd have to be all CGI-fied, and Nolan doesn't like that stuff.

Then again, Scarecrow is still around, isn't he? I thought I remembered him getting busted early in the film. Scarecrow is pretty freaking cool.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
I think they should add the Riddler, but they need to make some serious changes.

1. No lame, green, question mark suit. Try a regular outfit with one big question mark in the middle and we'll talk.
2. Make him demented. Twisted. Sorta like the bad guy from Se7en.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Then again, Scarecrow is still around, isn't he? I thought I remembered him getting busted early in the film. Scarecrow is pretty freaking cool.
Agreed. The Scarecrow's one of my favorite Batman villains (and thus, one of my favorite villains), and Cillian Murphy plays him really well. But I think Nolan's probably done with him.

I do think The Penguin would be a decent choice, though I think I read something about Nolan not being interested in him as a character. I think Riddler could be really neat if done properly. Pretty much like Dam said. Make him twisted and be conservative with the question marks.

And Catwoman is just silly to me. Even in the cartoons and comics, I never cared for her.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I've actually been working the Penguin in for my Screen Writing class. He's an English gentlemen expatriate who runs the Iceberg Club, while having criminal connections and runs an underground weapons dealing circuit. No long nose, no webbed feet, none of that. Monocle only when dressing up to host his Iceberg Club, and he is still an aficionado for birds. He has an umbrella with a sword built in for one scene, but beyond that, no huge gimmicks. Oh, and no bird crimes, although a huge pet vulture saved from the wild remains a trademark. I'm going for more of a crime boss than a freak, as the Nolan reboot films are doing for Batman's Rouge Gallery.

It's more of a short-film script. In December when I turn it in and get it graded (my teacher is a huge comics freak too, I've already talked to him about this and he looks forward to reading it, as he enjoyed my entires for Creative Writing), so when that's done, would it be okay to post? I'm just pissed I can't write in my favorite Batman villain, Mr. Freeze, realistically into film :(

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I've actually been working the Penguin in for my Screen Writing class. He's an English gentlemen expatriate who runs the Iceberg Club, while having criminal connections and runs an underground weapons dealing circuit. No long nose, no webbed feet, none of that. Monocle only when dressing up to host his Iceberg Club, and he is still an aficionado for birds. He has an umbrella with a sword built in for one scene, but beyond that, no huge gimmicks. Oh, and no bird crimes, although a huge pet vulture saved from the wild remains a trademark. I'm going for more of a crime boss than a freak, as the Nolan reboot films are doing for Batman's Rouge Gallery.

It's more of a short-film script. In December when I turn it in and get it graded (my teacher is a huge comics freak too, I've already talked to him about this and he looks forward to reading it, as he enjoyed my entires for Creative Writing), so when that's done, would it be okay to post? I'm just pissed I can't write in my favorite Batman villain, Mr. Freeze, realistically into film :(
That sounds really promising. I think it would be great if you posted it.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
Just throwing this out there, but I've been trying to think of actors to replace Heath Ledger for future Batman movies and I think Johnny Depp might be a good Joker? He seems really good at playing eccentric characters.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
I think they'll just have the Joker be mentioned is passing, saying something about how he was killed or locked away in prison forever or something. I think that Nolan would opt not to replace Ledger.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
Boooo, Batmans arch-nemesis has to be in more than one movie. If he replaced Katie Holmes, then he can and should definitely do the same for the Joker.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
Boooo, Batmans arch-nemesis has to be in more than one movie. If he replaced Katie Holmes, then he can and should definitely do the same for the Joker.
no. In an interview I read, Christopher Nolan said that he would never be able to replace Heath Ledger, he also said that Ledger wouldn't be able to do that kind of Joker again

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
The new one is supposed to have riddler(i forget whos playing) , Catwoman(angelina jolie), and i forget who else.... but im looking forward to it
The Riddler being confirmed is fake, and I've heard ideas for Catwoman, but no confirmation as of yet. They would never make the mistake of making casting a popular tabloids diva in the role of Catwoman again, especially after the movie Catwoman (if you haven't seen this yet, don't ever see it). Not to mention Angelina Jolie just isn't a good actress (or hot, for that matter). Besides, Nolan wants to include villains that haven't seen the big screen yet, the script with Joker and Two-Face was just too good for him (or anyone) to pass up.

Autydragoon

Smash Journeyman
In a circle with Fez, Hyde, Eric and Kelso
I really think they should bring in vilians that haven't been portrayed before such as,
Anarchy
Black Mask
Calender Man
Dead Shot
Ventriloquist

Black Mask, Calender man, and the ventriloquist could add a potential darkness to the movie. The Calender would be a good character because his obsession with dates and numbers could add a real life feeling.

I think they should steer away from using characters that have all ready seen the silver screen. And Angelina Jolie as Catwoman would bother me so much. Just cause she's in alot of comic, videogame movies (example Wanted) and I'm gettin' sick of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom