• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Counter Game III: READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING. Join the fun!

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
The Counter Game III

The game goes like this: someone posts a moveset for a pokémon, and then the next person posts a moveset that counters the previous poster's pokémon. For example, member A posts this pokémon:

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Rash/Blaze
252SpA/252Spe/4Atk
Fire Blast
Superpower
Hidden Power Grass
Vacuum Wave

Then, member B comes in and posts this pokémon:

Slowking @ Leftovers
Modest/Own Tempo
252HP/216SpA/40SpD
Surf
Slack Off
Ice Beam
Grass Knot

because this pokémon can counter Blaziken by surviving two Life Orbed Hidden Power Grasses while washing Blaziken away with surf. (Posting such an explanation is optional, but recommended.) Then member C (or A) posts another pokémon, which counters Slowking. And then the process repeats itself.

NOW THE RULES, READ THEM BEFORE COUNTERING:

Rule 1: DON'T use:

-Pokémon: Any pokémon from the Uber tier is banned from this counter game. Here is the Smogon Tier List. If a pokémon can't harm Shedinja, you cannot use Shedinja as a counter.

-Moves: Acupressure, Assist, Attract, Baton Pass, Beat Up, Bind, Block, Camouflage, Captivate, Clamp, Destiny Bond, Double Team, Explosion, Fire Spin, Fissure, Flash, Foresight, Grudge, Guillotine, Healing Wish, Horn Drill, Lunar Dance, Magma Storm, Magnitude, Mean Look, Memento, Metronome, Mimic, Minimize, Miracle Eye, Mud-Slap, Nature Power, Odor Sleuth, Perish Song, Present, Pursuit, Roar, Sand-Attack, Sand Tomb, Selfdestruct, Sheer Cold, Sketch, Spider Web, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes, U-Turn, Whirlpool, Whirlwind, Wrap.

Reasons vary between being having random effects (e.g. Acupressure, Present and to a lesser extent the OHKO moves and Double Team), (permanently) influencing the match (e.g. Foresight, Spikes) influencing switching availability (Bind and variants) or KOing the user (Explosion, Memento but also Perish Song and Destiny Bond).

-Items: Choice Band, Choice Specs, Choice Scarf are banned. Focus Sash cannot be used if it is needed to counter, but if the pokémon doesn't need it you can use it.

Rule 2: Remember what a counter is: A pokémon that can safely switch in on any (read: ANY, even if a move wouldn't affect the previous enemy, one could anticipate a switch and nail the switch-in, so take EVERY move into account when countering) and force the opponent to switch out by threatening a KO or other cases wherein the countered pokémon cannot win/KO the other. Note that a counter must be able to take MAX damage and survive and deal MIN damage to KO - counters must always work under any situation. Note that everything is actually theorymon: the countered pokémon will always switch out and the new counter will always come in and remain with full health and without status effects.

Rule 2.5: Don't go 'bam you do your strongest move max damage liechi/salac/petaya activates i win'. You must be able to switch in to ANY move.

Rule 2.75: Note the line 'counters must always work under any situation'. It means that unless stated otherwise in the rules, things go completely positive for the pokémon you're countering and completely negative for yourself.

Rule 3: Post full EV spreads, nature and ability and full movesets - use only one move per slot. So don't post things like:

Slaking @ Life Orb
255Atk
Giga Impact/Return
Filler
Filler
Filler

This is because users wouldn't know which moves, nature, EVs or ability they must take into account.

Rule 4: IVs are always assumed to be 31 in every stat, even if things like Hidden Power or being Legendary disallow that. This is purely for simplifying the game. You may customize IVs however you want by posting them, although it's not going to help very often unless you use a SubSalac or Belly Drum pokémon. If Trick Room, Metal Burst or Gyro Ball are used, and the pokémon has a nature that decreases speed assume 0 IVs in Speed.

Rule 5:
Accuracy rules: Any move with 55% or more accuracy is counted as if it would always hit. Moves with 50% accuracy are counted as hitting every other use, with the first hit connecting.

Rule 6: Sleep rules: Sleep is always assumed to last for two turns. Sleep Talk can only be used if all other moves guarantee win (for the counterer), if one relies on Sleep Talk. The original pokémon will be assumed to use the most beneficial move if it needs to use Sleep Talk.

Rule 7: Hax rules: Flinch effects over 50% (Serene Grace Dunsparce) are assumed every other turn, functioning after the first use. Flinch effects under 50% (everything else) are ignored. Paralysis hax is ignored. Confusion is assumed to hit every other turn after the first use. 50% critical hit rate is assumed to crit every other turn after the first use. Any critical hit rate under 50% is ignored. Multi-hit moves will be assumed to hit the highest amount of times by the original pokémon, and minimum amount of times for the counter.

Rule 7.5: Apply Flinch rules (effects over 50% are assumed every other turn, functioning after the first use and anything below 50% is ignored) to everything else that isn't stated in rule 7.

Rule 8: Magnet Pull, Arena Trap and Shadow Tag's effects are ignored. Rivalry is ignored if we don't know both your and your opponent's gender.

Rule 9: Hail (also through Snow Warning), Sandstorm (also through Sand Stream), Sunny Day, Rain Dance, Light Screen, Reflect and Trick Room are all assumed for the pokémon that uses them (if using the move would benefit them against their counter) and their counter, but after that they're ignored.

Rule 10: Make sure your counter works. This doesn't mean you have to calc everything: that a Caterpie tackle does little to max/max+ Slowbro with Leftovers is common sense. Also, make sure the previous counters work; we don't want complete counter chains being interrupted by a flaw in one counter. If any counter fails, either through rule breaking or not working altogether, ignore it and counter the last working one.

Score System:

You get points depending on the tier of the Pokemon you are using to counter.
+1 for OU / BL
+2 for UU
+3 for NU

If someone following you fails to post a viable counter you get +5.

If you're using a Pokemon from the same tier as the Pokemon you are countering, you don't get any bonus points. However, if you use a Pokemon one tier lower than the Pokemon you're countering you get +1.
BL Pokemon countering OU: +1
UU Pokemon countering BL: +1
NU Pokemon countering UU: +1
UU Pokemon countering OU: +2
NU Pokemon countering BL: +2
NU Pokemon countering OU: +3

NFEs are counted in the tier of their evolution unless stated otherwise.

Current scores:

IceArrow - 12
jigglyppuff8 - 4
kirbyraeg - 53
Melfice z - 32
Meta-Kirby - 2
Metal~Mario - 51
mood4food77 - 16
Moozle - 25
Pink Reaper - 17
Platypus - 41
Riddle - 25
RuNNing Riot - 16
Sir Bedevere - 5
Terywj - 29
The Real Gamer - 31
The Wrath of Koarin - 13
UltiMario - 31
Wave+ - 17
xLeafybug =D - 7

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Castform @ Salac Berry
Modest/Forecast
252SpA/252Spe/4HP
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Energy Ball
Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Adamant / Iron Fist
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Close Combat
Thunderpunch
Ice Punch
Fire Punch

Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Flamethrower:
262 Atk vs 256 Def & 242 HP (95 Base Power): 70 - 83 (28.93% - 34.30%)

Close Combat:
399 Atk vs 176 Def & 281 HP (144 Base Power): 912 - 1074 (324.56% - 382.21%)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Sleep Talk rules could be more specific. It makes more sense, in the context of this game, that the countering Pokemon's Sleep Talk should have more stringent rules than the defending Pokemon's. For example:

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Rest
Sleep Talk
Shadow Ball
HP Fighting

vs.

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Rest
Sleep Talk
Shadow Ball
HP Fighting

(Ignoring the specifics of stats)
If Lickilicky is switching into Spiritomb, Spiritomb's Sleep Talk should be assumed to always select HP Fighting. Lickilicky's Sleep Talk, however, is assumed to select HP Fighting as well.

WouW

Smash Lord
That's not a reason to ban it. I'll just remove Helping Hand as well, gl doing nothing with it.

Scyther @ Focus Sash
Jolly/Technician
108Atk/216Spe/160Def/24HP
Aerial Ace
Swords Dance
X-Scissor
Brick Break

Elemental punches: 242 - 286 (84.10% - 99.65%)
Aerial Ace: 288 - 338 (119.01% - 139.67%)

EDIT:****, forgot Iron Fist.
EDIT2: Fixed. EVs yield 330 Speed, 283Atk, 236Def and 287HP.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Steelix @ Chesto Berry
Rock Head
Impish (+Def, -Sp Atk)
252 HP / 252 Def / 6 Atk (0 Spd IV's)
~ Stone Edge
~ Earthquake
~ Gyro Ball
~ Rest

I'm not running any calcs but Steelix can survive 2 Swords Danced Brick Breaks, while he OHKOs with Stone Edge.

Edit: "The New New Counter Game" is kinda lame for a title. Go with like "The Counter Game 3" or something.

-Terywj

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
The Counter Game III sounds good.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Bold / Levitate
252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Def
Earth Power
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Calm Mind

Gyro Ball (with base power of 120) is a 4HKO, while Earth Power is a 2HKO.

Mewter

Smash Master
Woot! Counter Game III!

Lapras @ Leftovers
Naive (+SpD,-Spe) / Water Absorb
200 HP/ 56 SpAtt/ 254 Def
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Ice Shard
Sing

Lapras will sing you to sleep, and Ice Beam you several times (not sure how many). Anyways, ice shard at the last bit to KO you. T-bolt is to make it tougher for switch-ins.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Hitmonlee @ Lum Berry
Limber
Adamant (+Atk, -Sp Atk)
252 Atk / 252 Sp Def / 6 Spd
~ Close Combat
~ Sucker Punch
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge

Survives one Ice Beam before finishing you off with a Close Combat.

-Terywj

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
WouW how come there is nothing in the rules against repeating a counter already on the same page?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Hitmonlee @ Lum Berry
Limber
Adamant (+Atk, -Sp Atk)
252 Atk / 252 Sp Def / 6 Spd
~ Close Combat
~ Sucker Punch
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge

Survives one Ice Beam before finishing you off with a Close Combat.

-Terywj
Claydol @ Leftovers
Bold / Levitate
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpAtk
Psychic
Psybeam
Zen Headbutt
Calm Mind

Lack of repeating Pokemon rule FTW.

M.K

Level 55
Claydol @ Leftovers
Bold / Levitate
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpAtk
Psychic
Psybeam
Zen Headbutt
Calm Mind

Lack of repeating Pokemon rule FTW.
Poochyena @ Leftovers
Adamant // Quick Feet
252 Attack / 252 HP / 4 Sp. Defense
-Crunch
-Ice Fang
-Thunder Fang
-Fire Fang

Lack of moves that can hit a Poochyena FTW.
No need to run calcs, this thing'll win at the end anyways >.>

WouW

Smash Lord
WouW how come there is nothing in the rules against repeating a counter already on the same page?
There's no point to that, actually. If things ever start getting really repetitive I may want to add it but there's no point to (enforcing) that rule, in my opinion.

Also it was very rarely enforced in the last counter game so why bother doing it now.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Poochyena @ Leftovers
Adamant // Quick Feet
252 Attack / 252 HP / 4 Sp. Defense
-Crunch
-Ice Fang
-Thunder Fang
-Fire Fang

Lack of moves that can hit a Poochyena FTW.
No need to run calcs, this thing'll win at the end anyways >.>
Machoke @ Toxic Orb
Quirky//Guts
252 Attack/252 Defence/4 Speed
-Cross Chop
-Revenge
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

I come in, survive any of your fanged attacks, and they just touch you with a fighting move and win. (w00t , my first counter).

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
If things ever start getting really repetitive I may want to add it but there's no point to (enforcing) that rule, in my opinion.
If it gets repetitive, there will always be someone to mix it up.

Machoke @ Toxic Orb
Quirky//Guts
252 Attack/252 Defence/4 Speed
-Cross Chop
-Revenge
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

I come in, survive any of your fanged attacks, and they just touch you with a fighting move and win. (w00t , my first counter).
Mismagius @ Leftovers
Modest / Levitate
252 SpAtk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Defense Curl
Growl
Screech
Lucky Chant

PP stalls you, and you die from Stuggle recoil.

M.K

Level 55
Altaria @ Draco Plate
Modest/Natural Cure
252SpA/252Spe/4SpD
Draco Meteor
Roost
Fire Blast
Dragon Pulse
Kingdra @ Haban Berry
Modest // Sniper
252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Sp. Defense
-Draco Meteor
- Blizzard
- Surf
- Hidden Power (Grass)

Haban Berry allows switch in on any attack (weakens Dragon-Type moves) and Kingdra outspeeds and KOs with Blizzard/Draco Meteor.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Lol OU Pokemon.

It LOOKS like Regigigas is counter Altaria, if I'm not wrong, so.....

Uxie@Leftovers
Calm/Levitate
240 HP/16 Def/116 SpA/136 SpD
Calm Mind
Yawn
Psychic
Thunderbolt

This is fair enough.

M.K

Level 55
Uxie@Leftovers
Calm/Levitate
240 HP/16 Def/116 SpA/136 SpD
Calm Mind
Yawn
Psychic
Thunderbolt

This is fair enough.
(Totally forgot that Kingdra was an OU Pokemon for some reason >.< Sorry 'bout that)

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
Adamant / Aftermath
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 6 HP
-Crunch
-Shadow Claw
-Dig
-Giga Impact (LOL Lack of Physical Moves)

Ummm, immune to Psychic. Kills with Crunch.

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
Regirock @ Leftovers
Impish
4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Def
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Protect
-Fire Punch / Superpower

If it doesn't get Fire Punch, Use Superpower instead.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Regirock @ Leftovers
Impish
4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Def
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Protect
-Fire Punch
:flame:
You should check the Smogon Website for the movelist of Regirock. Yes, he does learn Fire Punch. Also, I believe you are neglecting an ability. I DON'T KNOW YOUR IBALATY! INVALID COUNTER!

Omastar @ Expert Belt
Modest / Swift Swim
184 Defense / 252 Special Attack / 74 Speed
Rain Dance
Hydro Pump
Blizzard
Ancient Power

Hey, Wouw? When on earth would Shedinja ever be used? I don't see how he'd be allowed to be played, since he's not capable of switching into anything that can attack him, but he is only allowed to switch into something that can harm him.

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
You should check the Smogon Website for the movelist of Regirock. Yes, he does learn Fire Punch. Also, I believe you are neglecting an ability. I DON'T KNOW YOUR IBALATY! INVALID COUNTER!

Omastar @ Expert Belt
Modest / Swift Swim
Rain Dance
Hydro Pump
Blizzard
Ancient Power

Hey, Wouw? When on earth would Shedinja ever be used? I don't see how he'd be allowed to be played, since he's not capable of switching into anything that can attack him, but he is only allowed to switch into something that can harm him.

How can you complain about not knowing the ability? The regi trio only get Clear Body

Wave⁂

Smash Legend

Omastar @ Expert Belt
Modest / Swift Swim
Rain Dance
Hydro Pump
Blizzard
Ancient Power

Shedinja could have counted my Mismagius. Also, HP Rock?

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Modest / uTorrent
252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Speed
Hydro Pump
Blizzard
HP Electric
Focus Blast

AncientPower is a 4HKO. Focus Blast is a OHKO.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
Shedinja could have counted my Mismagius. Also, HP Rock?

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Modest / uTorrent
252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Speed
Hydro Pump
Blizzard
HP Electric
Focus Blast

AncientPower is a 4HKO. Focus Blast is a OHKO.
Uxie @ Leftovers
Calm / Levitate
252 hp / 6 Special Attack / 252 Special Defense (Lazy Ev Spread, I know)
Thunder
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Calm Mind

Dude, get a Double Ancient Power boost with Togekiss in a row, and that slightly lower base power means jack****. I officially love that move. Yes, I know Omastar isn't Togekiss, but still, you have to admit that Acient Power is freaking awesome. Togekiss Sweep for the win.

WouW

Smash Lord
Counter #1

Exeggutor @ Leftovers
Modest/Chlorophyll
252SpA/252HP/4SpD
Solarbeam
Sunny Day
Psychic
Toxic

Counter #2

Shedinja @ Lum Berry
Adamant/Wonder Guard
255Atk/255Spe
X-Scissor
Swords Dance
Shadow Sneak
Toxic

NOTE:This DOESN'T counter Uxie.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I'm going to assume Uxie is still in play.

Cacturne @ Leftovers
Adamant / Sand Veil
252 Atk / 252 Sp Def / 6 Sp Def
~ Sucker Punch
~ Seed Bomb
~ Leech Seed
~ Brick Break

-Terywj

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
I'm going to assume Uxie is still in play.

Cacturne @ Leftovers
Adamant / Sand Veil
252 Atk / 252 Sp Def / 6 Sp Def
~ Sucker Punch
~ Seed Bomb
~ Leech Seed
~ Brick Break

-Terywj
I just noticed: two of your EVs are Sp Def. im guessing for the 6 you meant speed?

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
Yanmega @ Wise Glasses
Modest / Tinted Lens
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speeeeeeeeeeeeed
-Bug Buzz
-Air Slash
-Ancientpower
-HP [Ice]

BUG BUZZ IN THE FACE.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Articuno @ Leftovers
Timid
252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 SpAtk
Toxic
Ice Beam
Roost
Substitute

AncientPower:
364 Atk vs 286 Def & 384 HP (66 Base Power): 244 - 288 (63.54% - 75.00%)

Ice Beam:
A lot

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Probopass @ Expert Belt
Modest / Magnet Rise
252 Sp Atk / 252 Sp Def / 6 HP
~ Power Gem
~ Earth Power
~ Flash Cannon
~ Hidden Power [Grass]

-Terywj

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
How can you complain about not knowing the ability? The regi trio only get Clear Body
I love how you quoted the entire message when the only important detail that you talked about was talking about the ability (and I really hoped you were sarcastic when you said this, considering I was fake-trolling [Evident by the purposful shifting of the vowels in "Ability" the second time I said it] about the Regis).

Say the opponent has Sky Attack, Energy Ball, and HP Ground. You can't switch Shedinja in and use Protect, but you can switch it in if you can OHKO with Sucker Punch (if it were, say, Natu). This I assume.
I'm sorry, but ..... wha? Maybe I'm too sleepy right now to really get it.

Counter #1

Exeggutor @ Leftovers
Modest/Chlorophyll
252SpA/252HP/4SpD
Solarbeam
Sunny Day
Psychic
Toxic

Counter #2

Shedinja @ Lum Berry
Adamant/Wonder Guard
255Atk/255Spe
X-Scissor
Swords Dance
Shadow Sneak
Toxic
Thanks for the Info. I'm gonna see how many times I can use Shedinja now.

Also, can we go ahead and start using Rhyperior, since he's so about to be UU (or atleast BL)?

Probopass @ Expert Belt
Modest / Magnet Rise
252 Sp Atk / 252 Sp Def / 6 HP
~ Power Gem
~ Earth Power
~ Flash Cannon
~ Hidden Power [Grass]

-Terywj
LINK! HE COMES TO TOWN! COME TO SAVE... THE PRINCESS ZELDA!

Gallade @ Life Orb
Adamant / SteadFast
6 Hp / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
Sword Dance
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Shadow Sneak

Hey guys, what could I use as a lead to destroy pretty much any OU lead? I'm having moderate success with my teams, but I'm planning on taking a bit more structure to my teams and plans, and some leads (specifically Aerodactyl + Taunt + Stealth Rock + Earth Quake + Rock Slide + Focus Sash) have proven themselves increadly annoying.

WouW

Smash Lord
Hey guys, what could I use as a lead to destroy pretty much any OU lead? I'm having moderate success with my teams, but I'm planning on taking a bit more structure to my teams and plans, and some leads (specifically Aerodactyl + Taunt + Stealth Rock + Earth Quake + Rock Slide + Focus Sash) have proven themselves increadly annoying.
Leadgross:

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Adamant/Jolly / Clear Body
252Atk/252Spe/4HP
Meteor Mash
Bullet Punch
Earthquake
Explosion

If it's a suicide lead (Azelf, Aero) use BP to 2HKO. If it's weak to ground, use Earthquake. If it's bulky (Swampert, Hippo) explode on it.

ss118 said:
Azelf- Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch KOs. Reflect versions may give you trouble, but if you see that then Explode after it and they lose one of two things: Light Screen or Stealth Rock.
Metagross- Earthquake 2HKOs. That's awesome, and they can't OHKO you back without it being obvious why(or making themselves set-up bait).
Jirachi- Earthquake, again, 2HKOs, but it can be tricky if they Trick you and then you don't know if they will attempt to set up SR or switch out to an immunity.
Swampert- Explode. Done and done xD
Aerodactyl- If you sketchy on MM accuracy, Bullet Punch 2HKOs and does the same result, though I like the attack increase personally.
Hippowdon- Explode. Great fun.
Infernape- Occa Berry lets you take a Fire Blast/ Overheat and EQ + BP it.
Bronzong- I've had so much fun with this one: Earthquake first and if it has Levitate, MM+ Explosion usually kills.
Ninjask- MM spam then BP when the time is right. if it gets to the point where they WILL get off a Baton Pass, just Explode.
Heatran- Shuca/ Specs will be able to beat you: I usually Earthquake both turns and we trade-off stripping the items, hope for a miss, and make sure they don't SR for free.
Tyranitar- Meteor Mash.

supermarth64

Smash Ace
Leadgross:

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Adamant/Jolly / Clear Body
252Atk/252Spe/4HP
Meteor Mash
Bullet Punch
Earthquake
Explosion

If it's a suicide lead (Azelf, Aero) use BP to 2HKO. If it's weak to ground, use Earthquake. If it's bulky (Swampert, Hippo) explode on it.
Bullet Punch barely misses the 2HKO, so it's a 3HKO instead. (Note: NOT A COUNTER) Just making a correction.

Top Bottom