• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cost of Amiibo (HINT: It's big)

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
I really only see myself getting my favorite characters, honestly.
Greninja, Bowser, and whoever else I end up playing.
Isaac... definitely Isaac.
I'd pay 20+ bucks for Isaac alone.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
They can go up to level 50 according to sakurai, and if that is difficulty compared to level 9, that's scary.
If a level 50 Amiibo was theoretically 5x smarter than a typical level 9 cpu then that would make Amiibos much more attractive to people. If they could learn, we'd be forced to learn different combos on them, that would mean no more easy cpu kill combos. (Kind of like how cpu won't meteor cancel my Lucas Dair spike combo finishers with up-b.)

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

If a figure was $20 and you bought 50 of them it would only be $1000 dollars.

at $1366 each figure would cost about $27.30, and that's before sales tax!

WELP I KNOW WHERE IM NEVER MOVING TO.

What's next? you'll tell me that the gas is $6.00 to the gallon?
Note that the price I listed was if you order it online, and I didn't even account for regional shipping costs. If you go retail it's going to be even more expensive.

So yeah, you'd do wisely not to vacation around here.

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
If a level 50 Amiibo was theoretically 5x smarter than a typical level 9 cpu then that would make Amiibos much more attractive to people. If they could learn, we'd be forced to learn different combos on them, that would mean no more easy cpu kill combos. (Kind of like how cpu won't meteor cancel my Lucas Dair spike combo finishers with up-b.)
Sakurai said they can go to level 50, we don't know if that is a comparison to 9, but it could be. He did say that they will learn your fighting style and adjust to it.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Feel like I'll probably get Yoshi, Bowser and Pac-Man. I'll probably ask friends and family to buy the other Marios for Christmas and Birthday presents at least.

...and then of course Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Mario Kart 8 and Yoshi's Woolly World are getting Amiibos too. This is going to be costly...good thing I enjoy collecting figurines anyway.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hmmm... If the learning is advanced enough then I guess it'd be wise to invest in whoever counters your main.

META KNIGHT GONNA FLY OFF THE SHELVES AMIRITE?

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Yeah I don't think I would get them all anyway probably just the ones I play as or even just like lol. Samus, Megaman, Link, Little Mac. Maybe one or two more. Those would be brought over time though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm probably going to be that guy that gets one or two at first and then waits until 2017/2018 to buy a ton on eBay when people stop buying them and the price tanks. I'm kind of interested to see if anyone buys the whole roster right off the bat. only for them to become a meme for months afterwards when photos pop up of them being a little too enthusiastic about their Peach and Zelda ones.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'm not getting any of them, I hate skylanders and disney infinty type games and am not found of these type of collectibles. Thank god I don't need these to unlock characters.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Wow jeez that's a bit pricey for a fighting buddy... Even so, my bro and I will likely get one each, him Zelda or Ike, then me someone who I'm not very good with (probably will be Greninja or Villager).

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
If, by some turn of events which I cannot begin to fathom the circumstantial possibility of, I decide to buy one of these things, it'll be one: either Pac-Man or Ice Climbers. The latter choice is to simply own a figurine of characters who will otherwise never receive official merchandise ever again.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just spent $100 on a godzilla figure

and $25 on a mario figure that's maybe 4 inches tall

So to me, this doesn't seem like much in comparison

Although the amiibos won't be articulated

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
In all honesty, I spend almost a grand a year on cigarettes, and am currently trying my hardest to quit.
So thats a grand I can blow on every fighter, since I'm an ocd collector type of person.
I'll need them all or it just won't feel right.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
In all honesty, I spend almost a grand a year on cigarettes, and am currently trying my hardest to quit.
So thats a grand I can blow on every fighter, since I'm an ocd collector type of person.
Good luck on quitting friend.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
I say same as @ Saito Saito - best of luck

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
You can quit!!!!!!!!!!!Believe!!!!!

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
At first I was going to just get them all, but then I realized just how many characters are actually in this game and how that affects how much they cost. I may just get all the Zelda characters at first, plus one or two I really like. The rest I will either skip on or buy progressively as time goes on/price goes down(I'm sure these will pop up used at Gamestop for a few bucks cheaper than retail after a few weeks).

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
A few months after launch of Smash Bros 4...

"Nintendo proudly presents... The Trophy Collection!
One Thousand brand new Amiibo's to collect based on ALL of the trophies you collected!
Gotta catch 'em all!"

My wallet decides to play a solo game of Russian roulette and loses.

But seriously, I'll definitely collect a few of these.
They look cool and who doesnt want real life Smash Bros trophies? I want a whole bunch.

Nintendo is basically going to murder the market on this.

Hong

The Strongest
Nintendo is basically going to murder the market on this.
Only natural.

Smash Bros will be the most money they have made in the past four years, especially since it will both appeal to their large portable install-base, but finally get the Wii U off the shelf (if MK8 hasn't already). Would only be wise to ride the product hard and milk it where ever possible. I fully expect paid DLC and overpriced apparel on the horizon, because Smashers are animals and we'll eat up anything we can get.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
I just want my Females of Smash Brothers figurines.

Don't judge me.
Super Bash Sisters collection :troll:

Only natural.

Smash Bros will be the most money they have made in the past four years, especially since it will both appeal to their large portable install-base, but finally get the Wii U off the shelf (if MK8 hasn't already). Would only be wise to ride the product hard and milk it where ever possible. I fully expect paid DLC and overpriced apparel on the horizon, because Smashers are animals and we'll eat up anything we can get.
Their new games are so appealing. (Splatoon bloop bloop!)
My wallet is gonna hurt if I am gonna get a Wii U

anws the amiibos that I am interested in will probably be Pit Greninja Lucario and maybe Meta Knight

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
None of the amiibos are worth it to me solely for Smash functionality. I'll probably get one or two for functionality with other games(hopefully unlocking ROB as playable in MK8) and enjoy Smash functionality as a bonus.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
If Smash 4 gets competitive, do you think Amiibos will be allowed in tournaments (assuming that you can play as an amiibo)? Or perhaps Amiibo-Exclusive tournaments? Probably not though, Street Fighter X Tekken had gem (another pay for advantage system) system banned in some tournaments and allowed in others, so I'd imagine the same would happen for Smash too.

If I can, I'm totally gettin my hands on a :4pikachu:and :4greninja: figurines. I wonder if :4palutena: will get one, I've heard she already gets to choose between different specials without any need for customization, just like the Mii Fighters.

Hong

The Strongest
If Smash 4 gets competitive, do you think Amiibos will be allowed in tournaments (assuming that you can play as an amiibo)? Or perhaps Amiibo-Exclusive tournaments? Probably not though, Street Fighter X Tekken had gem (another pay for advantage system) system banned in some tournaments and allowed in others, so I'd imagine the same would happen for Smash too.
Presents too many issues. Really, I would never want to ask for people to have to worry about bringing any more than their controller. At most you have to wrap it in a tee shirt or something if you're really worried about the stick getting banged around in your bag.

But the amiibo? If you at all care about it, it presents too many logistical difficulties.

That said, not against them being used in place of currency in money matches. :]

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Smash 4 gets competitive, do you think Amiibos will be allowed in tournaments (assuming that you can play as an amiibo)? Or perhaps Amiibo-Exclusive tournaments?
I can imagine Amiibo fights being an entertaining sideshow at tournaments on consoles that aren't being currently used.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wouldn't it be more like training up boxers to fight

Like Do Louis?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It was confirmed that the cost of Amiibo figures would be in the same price range as Skylanders figures ($10-15) so I took the price of a standard Skylanders figure from where I am (£7.99) and did some maths.

To buy all the 14 Amiibo Smash figures shown thus far would cost £111.86. Already deep in Wallet-murder country.
To buy all currently revealed characters, minus the Mii Fighter, would cost £255.68

And now the hypotheticals.
The Cast of Smash 64 would run £95.88
Melee's cast would run £199.75 to £207.74 (depending on Sheik)
The rumoured 47 characters (again not including miis) would run £375.53
And the also rumored 50 characters (Not including Miis again) would be a grand total of £399.50 or in Yakee Doodles, $679.65.

How many do you plan to get?
Well, if the price was like 10/15 buck, I intended to buy one of them every two weeks or something like that.
20?
One every three weeks, probably, or even a month. Who knows maybe there will be some kind of deal (Hyrule Warriors with Link's Amiibo at a reduced price?).

It's a LOT, anyway.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Eheh, that's the reason why I never even tried one cigarette. Twenty-two years without being ****ed by curiosity.
Good luck, really. You're gonna need it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Eheh, that's the reason why I never even tried one cigarette. Twenty-two years without being ****ed by curiosity.
I ALMOST smoked

But I couldn't get the thing lit

I took it as a sign and gave the pack away

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
Keep it that way, friend. I got curious waaaay too young. 20 years old and have been smoking since 14. It's ****ing gross really.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I ALMOST smoked

But I couldn't get the thing lit

I took it as a sign and gave the pack away
I have been offered many cigarettes by many types of people.

Friends, parents, parents friends, shady people, peer pressurers.

I'm starting to believe they were all testing me.

Not gonna lie though...I love the smell of an unlit cigarette.

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
I've created a monster...
No matter how proud of all you non-smokers I am, let's get back on track.

The real reason I'm totally infatuated with Amiibo is because it reminds me of late 90's - early 00's anime, where people would battle each other in huge virtual reality arenas with figurines/cards/toys. You know what I'm talking about.
It's like Medabots. Meets Pokemon. But it's Smash Bros. What's not to love?!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A thought occurs. If you use an Amiibo of an unlockable character will it unlock the character in game? It'd certainly help to set up tournament machines quicker.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I've created a monster...
No matter how proud of all you non-smokers I am, let's get back on track.

The real reason I'm totally infatuated with Amiibo is because it reminds me of late 90's - early 00's anime, where people would battle each other in huge virtual reality arenas with figurines/cards/toys. You know what I'm talking about.
It's like Medabots. Meets Pokemon. But it's Smash Bros. What's not to love?!
I'm honestly interested in it learning from the experiences it has.

That's potentially an AI breakthrough at least for gaming. It exists elsewhere, but for gaming in a fighting game, I think it's something that could be worthwhile.

If it learns and learns well, they actually could be good training buddies. Especially if they can develop humanlike playstyles.

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
A thought occurs. If you use an Amiibo of an unlockable character will it unlock the character in game? It'd certainly help to set up tournament machines quicker.
I was thinking about this the other day. It might, honestly. However I could just see it loading up the Amiibo without you unlocking them.
I'm honestly interested in it learning from the experiences it has.

That's potentially an AI breakthrough at least for gaming. It exists elsewhere, but for gaming in a fighting game, I think it's something that could be worthwhile.

If it learns and learns well, they actually could be good training buddies. Especially if they can develop humanlike playstyles.
THIS is something I'm really interested in. It could either be really impressive, or just functional and nothing out of the ordinary.
Either way I'll get some, really. But if they do learn well, this will be something I put a good amount of time into.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Keep it that way, friend. I got curious waaaay too young. 20 years old and have been smoking since 14. It's ****ing gross really.
That's the age, I've never heard of someone starting smoking in his 20s.
It's like this, everyone starts smoking because everyone else does. There's nothing wrong with it, but I was lucky enough to never care. It's undeniable that when you're 14 smoking sounds cool.

Top Bottom