• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cost of Amiibo (HINT: It's big)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It was confirmed that the cost of Amiibo figures would be in the same price range as Skylanders figures ($10-15) so I took the price of a standard Skylanders figure from where I am (£7.99) and did some maths.

To buy all the 14 Amiibo Smash figures shown thus far would cost £111.86. Already deep in Wallet-murder country.
To buy all currently revealed characters, minus the Mii Fighter, would cost £255.68

And now the hypotheticals.
The Cast of Smash 64 would run £95.88
Melee's cast would run £199.75 to £207.74 (depending on Sheik)
The rumoured 47 characters (again not including miis) would run £375.53
And the also rumored 50 characters (Not including Miis again) would be a grand total of £399.50 or in Yakee Doodles, $679.65.

How many do you plan to get?

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
It was confirmed that the cost of Amiibo figures would be in the same price range as Skylanders figures ($10-15) so I took the price of a standard Skylanders figure from where I am (£7.99) and did some maths.

To buy all the 14 Amiibo Smash figures shown thus far would cost £111.86. Already deep in Wallet-murder country.
To buy all currently revealed characters, minus the Mii Fighter, would cost £255.68

And now the hypotheticals.
The Cast of Smash 64 would run £95.88
Melee's cast would run £199.75 to £207.74 (depending on Sheik)
The rumoured 47 characters (again not including miis) would run £375.53
And the also rumored 50 characters (Not including Miis again) would be a grand total of £399.50 or in Yakee Doodles, $679.65.

How many do you plan to get?
One.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well, at this rate, none.

Let me put it this way. Let's say I get two figurines (So, Mr. G&W and Villager), which would be around 20-30 dollars. Now, most likely I would spend maybe a couple hours with them before putting them on a shelf.

However, with that same money, I could get:
A bunch of Virtual Console titles.
A couple newer digital releases.
A retail game.

All of which would not only last longer but would also be more appeasing than glorified AI.

Last edited:

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I've seen Skylanders figures (individually) for as low as $8 and as high as $15 so I would say that they will be $10 per a figure which isn't terrible

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Perosnally I'm unsure. Assuming that the third parties are in for it I'll get Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man.

I wonder if popularity of the Smash character will affect the Amiibo price. It would be strange for the Ice Climbers to retail as high as Mario or Sonic.

But yeah, this explains Sakurai's warning that getting them all will be exceedingly difficult. Surely there are better things in this life to spend that kind of money on.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I can't see myself buying any. They look seriously cool, but the clutter isn't worth it especially since they don't do anything that exciting in all honesty.

Hong

The Strongest
Standalone prices, of course. I am sure NIntendo will sell them as a collection at some reduction. :)

Needless to say, while I'm not against figurines, none of the Smash ones appeal to me. For all I love Animal Crossing, the Villager scarcely represents what I love about the series, compared to my absolutely adorable Isabelle. On the other hand, I am really big into Game & Watch and as a portable game lover I basically worship what Yokoi had revolutionized back in the 80s, so I guess I might buy one.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Standalone prices, of course. I am sure NIntendo will sell them as a collection at some reduction. :)
Hmm... Let's see

Mario Pack A (Mario, Luigi, Peach)
Mario Pack B (Yoshi, Bowser, Rosalina)
Mario Pack C (Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Wario)

Fantasy Pack A (Link, Zelda, Sheik)
Fantasy Pack B (Marth, Ike, FE Newcomer)
Fantasy Pack C (Toon Link, Ganondorf, Shulk?)

Guest Pack (Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man)

This sort of thing?

Hong

The Strongest
Hmm... Let's see

This sort of thing?
Basically. It can also be in seasons. The 14 shown can be "Season one", then another 14 season two, and so on.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Hmm... Let's see

This sort of thing?
Another good one would be The Classics Pack (Mario, DK, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, and Mr.G&W)

Last edited:

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
I'd just want to get one or two as sparring partners and one or two for my mains for when I wanna play at another person's house with my customizations.

Another good one would be The Classics Pack (Mario, Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, and Mr.G&W)
Don't Forget Donkey Kong.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
GOTTA BUY EM ALL!!!

Good thing these come out around Christmas.
I'll just ask for them for Christmas, and assuming my parents get me a couple, and my other relatives each get me 1 or 2, I should be set.

D

Deleted member

As much as I would love to collect them all, I can only see myself getting a couple due to price. I will get one guaranteed for the sake of experiencing everything in smash. It really all depends on pricing. However, what I find interesting is that the ones shown so far are modeled after the smash artwork except for the basic Mario figure they have been showing. So, assuming this means they would make new sets for every game that supports amiibo, then price factors even more to how willing people are to purchase.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just want my Females of Smash Brothers figurines.

Don't judge me.
Not at all. In fact I'll help you do the math.

Assuming a $10 retail the gals are

Peach, Zelda, Sheik, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina/Luma, Palutena

Around $80. Unless you include Jigglypuff and Nana in that.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Not at all. In fact I'll help you do the math.

Assuming a $10 retail the gals are

Peach, Zelda, Sheik, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina/Luma, Palutena

Around $80. Unless you include Jigglypuff and Nana in that.
That's good enough for me.

I was thinking of starting a figurine collection soon and, as cool as I think the function of Amiibos in Smash are, I'll only be collecting them and not using them. $80 for 8 figures I particularly want isn't too bad.

Well, once I have enough pocket change. At first I wanted to collect ALL the characters but it didn't even dawn on me how much they would cost until I read this thread. I can settle for the ladies.

Morbi

Scavenger
What is it in American?! :troll:

I suppose assuming each Amiibo is 10 AMERICAN; I will probably invest no more than $50 to these figurines. That is 2 figures for muh and 2 figures for my sister in addition to a shared figure. This is operating under the assumption that we actually enjoy the figures; if not, we will purchase just one each to test them out.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I'm sure it won't cost that much.

Nintendo would sell it for 5 a pop :)

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Of all the things that I love, I was happy that Smash collectibles almost didn't exist. But now I want them all, and it's gonna make me mindlessly spend a lot of money.
I'll buy them over time of course, like, 1 a month or something.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
None, I could get a PS4 for the price it would take to get every figurine.
That's precisely the reason I'll get them over time than all at once.

I can afford $80 (the ladies) + $10 every month afterwards to collect them.
Makes a lot more sense than buying a gajillion at once.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Whelp I know what's going to be on my christmas list besides socks and underwear.

I'll still end up buying every Amiibo that's functional in smash, I'll put them in a display case, it'll look awesome.

Hopefully there will be an awesome bundle pack of amiibo's at launch that I can buy alongside the game and game cube controler bundle.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
No more than three at this point. 1 for the sake of it, another if I decide that the whole "train your own AI" thing is worth it and I wish to build my own sparring partner to fight exactly how I want and if a certain friend of mine ends up playing Smash 4, a third one of his main for practice. Come to think of it, if the meta has people playing as the same few characters most of the time, I'd probably look into getting figurines of them. One of my biggest problems with PM and especially Brawl is that I don't play top tiers and neither does my partner for the most part, so I never really got the matchup experience that would help me the most.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I would like to point out that they're going to be priced competitively compared to Skylanders. I wouldn't be surprised if they were $5-$10.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Considering that I'll likely be playing this game for years, I will probably get a lot of them. Just over a span of several years; that'll hurt the wallet a lot less.

I'll likely end up getting the characters I use/like the most and move on from there.

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
For sure getting Jigglypuff (if in) and Kirby since those are the characters I'm actually attached to. Maybe Mega Man if I really like how he plays. I would have bought Zelda if they went with her Skyward Sword outfit (either of them), but no go on that...

If the game and the AI turn out really well, then I guess I'm in trouble since I already want to play 15 characters plus up to 11 unconfirmed veterans who I assume are returning. That does depend on the characters being strong enough to stick with them, but even if half of them suck, that's still 13 left, so ouch.

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind buying a couple standalone, but if they sold them in groups that'd be cool. A Kid Icarus one with Pit and Palutena, a Pokemon one with Pikachu, Charizard, and Jigglypuff, with a separate one for Lucario and Greninja. I'd buy them then. If not, I'll just stick to my faves.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I want to see what function these figures serve in other games first. For one thing some of them (*cough* Mario *cough*) are more apt to be more useful then others across the board (*cough* Wii Fit Trainer *cough*). Unless they make separate figures for each game regardless, but it doesn't sound like they want to do that. I'll probably get 1. 3 at most.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I'll probably end up getting the Mario ones (including Yoshi, Wario & DK) + Toad, Zelda, Jigglypuff and Kirby.

Obviously, I will start with Peach and Toad and depending on their quality, what they bring to the games and if I have a place to put the figurines in, probably more. But Peach is a given, even if I wasn't going to buy it myself, I guess friends or relatives would get it for me so...

UpsilonFox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FLYINGDAVEno2
3DS FC
1134-7457-1617
If they make a Marth one I'll get it for sure, been wanting a well done figurine of my smash main/favourite FE Lord for a while.
And maybe if I have the cash I'll get a set of Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man to commemorate this insane cross over event that is Smash 4.

D

Deleted member 245254

I'll probably want one of each character I want to main in the game, which right now is looking like about 3-4.

Booster

Smash Lord
That's precisely the reason I'll get them over time than all at once.

I can afford $80 (the ladies) + $10 every month afterwards to collect them.
Makes a lot more sense than buying a gajillion at once.
Yeah...or you can buy a ****ing game for $15 over Improved Brawl AI, Skylanders character or Disney Infinity Character. If they made cheaper ones that aren't UFC compatible it would be cute.

Top Bottom