• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cost of Amiibo (HINT: It's big)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm wondering if 3rd Party Amiibos will even be available. I really want a Megaman one, but I feel like it may not be possible. And to a lesser degree I want Pac-Man and Sonic as well. Namco may allow it, given their collaboration for this game. And Sega and Nintendo seem to be on good terms too. I'm really just worried about Capcom's say in this.
Why wouldn't they?

It would be pretty unfair if those characters didn't have amiibo figures and thus, not getting the same functionality as the other characters. Plus, given it's Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man, trust me they'd sell.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I want a ROB amiibo so I hope he's confirmed

A game and watch amiibo would be hilarious though

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Why wouldn't they?

It would be pretty unfair if those characters didn't have amiibo figures and thus, not getting the same functionality as the other characters. Plus, given it's Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man, trust me they'd sell.
I'm only worried because it would require getting additional rights from their respective companies, but you may be right, it may not matter. Those just may be more expensive because their company's want a cut of the profits.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm only worried because it would require getting additional rights from their respective companies, but you may be right, it may not matter. Those just may be more expensive because their company's want a cut of the profits.
Well, they already had to get the rights for the characters so they could be added to the game so one may argue that the amiibo figures are part of the game and there wouldn't be much problem regarding licensing.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They could release Mii Amiibos in the likeness of certain IRL people I guess

Reggie amiibo comes to mind

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, they already had to get the rights for the characters so they could be added to the game so one may argue that the amiibo figures are part of the game and there wouldn't be much problem regarding licensing.
That could work. It just seems odd to me: Nintendo selling figures of other companies' characters. I feel as though it may cause some bad blood, but you're probably right the negotiations for said characters likely included Amiibo figures from the get go.

Last edited:

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
I'll be getting Wario, Rosalina and Ike, as they're my mains.
Here, I have an incredibly advanced (if Sakurai is to be believed) AI that will actively learn. Is no-one seeing the implications of this?
The amount that this could help my Wario/Rosalina/Ike game is insane and as I'm getting functionality out of them (matchup knowledge, mirror knowledge), the amiibo won't just learn from me. I can learn from it.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Initially? I'll probably get like 5 or so of my favorite characters. Over time? I bet I'll get them all, I'd probably try to get popular characters first so I could train against them (since I have no smashers close by), so I have match-up experience when I go online/to tournaments.

Honestly though, I'd probably get all of them if they were 20$, and had no function other than looking cool. <3 nintendo

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
I'd probably try to get popular characters first so I could train against them (since I have no smashers close by), so I have match-up experience when I go online/to tournaments.
That would be a cool idea. Hopefully Amiibo can create some unique challenges and combos that make them more useful sparring partners compared to normal level 9 cpu.

Now I'm curious, will we be able to use Amiibos online?

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
I'm really not a fan of this whole figurine trend going about, so I don't think I'll be getting any of the Amiibos. Just a gimmick if you ask me.

Besides, I've got BOTH versions of Smash 4 to buy, a Wii U to play one of them on, Destiny on PS4, Mario Kart 8 AND Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. A much better investment if you ask me.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I thought I was going to get them all. I didn't ever think to look up how much the similiar Skylanders figures are.

I for some reason thought they'd be cheap. Whoops.

I'll probably get 1-3.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Amiibos for other games will depend on the function it does on how many will I try to get. But when it comes to Smash Bros. GOTTA CATCH(buy) THEM ALL!.
Of course, I don't think I will (or could) get too many of them at the same time. More like 3 per month. I hope they don't sold out too fast; or yet, I hope they sold out too fast, for Ninty's sake.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Remember Amiibo is compatable with multiple games so I expect the Mario Figure has similar functionality with Mario Kart 8.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
In that case I plan to get only my favorite 3 at most.

Megaman, for sure.
Little Mac, for sure.

So far, nobody else, unless Mike Jones shows up in the game.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
They could release Mii Amiibos in the likeness of certain IRL people I guess

Reggie amiibo comes to mind
Miyamoto commented on how they're considering having a service where you can order an amiibo of your own, custom Mii. He also mentioned there already is an amiibo of his own mii.

Even though I dislike the mii fighter, I think it'd be cool to have a custom amiibo of my Mii. I'd dig it.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Man, the suffering mothers had to go through, buying their kids 10-15 dollar pokemon toys that were only two cheap 2-inch tall pieces of plastic.

Actually comparing it to that this is better. But yeah figurines are money. <_>

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Remember Amiibo is compatable with multiple games so I expect the Mario Figure has similar functionality with Mario Kart 8.
Just thinking that Nintendo could profit even bigger if they make a Luigi Mario Kart 8 figure with his "memeable" death stare. After all, they acknowledged it in the Digital Event. Not sure if I would prefer it to the "Michael Jackson Luigi" in my collection though.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I anticipate that amiibos will be released in waves. They know collectors won't buy all of them at once if it is too many and that's bad because that's probably a quarter of their projected demographic.

Additionally, a large portion of the characters will be unlockable, so they can't be on store shelves the day the game comes out. Spoilers.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
My guess is $6-10 per figure.
Amazon and sales will probably have them a bit after release for $5. Not terrible.

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
I do hope they do these in alternate colors. Obviously not all colors would justify the extra production and distribution costs, but maybe they can be careful about it. They can run customer surveys or just monitor which colors are used online and make Amiibos for any anomalies that fans really love.

Yes, I'm talking about you, white and pink Captain Falcon, the best color scheme in the game.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
If Amiibos could be on your team in double, wouldn't it's color in game change automatically?

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
The alternate color thing makes me hesitate about getting the Villager one. As goofy as the standard red one is, I would hate to get it and then find out the female green alt. I plan on using will launch later.

R0Y

Smash Master
It was confirmed that the cost of Amiibo figures would be in the same price range as Skylanders figures ($10-15) so I took the price of a standard Skylanders figure from where I am (£7.99) and did some maths.

To buy all the 14 Amiibo Smash figures shown thus far would cost £111.86. Already deep in Wallet-murder country.
To buy all currently revealed characters, minus the Mii Fighter, would cost £255.68

And now the hypotheticals.
The Cast of Smash 64 would run £95.88
Melee's cast would run £199.75 to £207.74 (depending on Sheik)
The rumoured 47 characters (again not including miis) would run £375.53
And the also rumored 50 characters (Not including Miis again) would be a grand total of £399.50 or in Yakee Doodles, $679.65.

How many do you plan to get?
No US state has, or includes, a 20 percent sales tax like the UK. so this is slightly skewed.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
And the also rumored 50 characters (Not including Miis again) would be a grand total of £399.50 or in Yakee Doodles, $679.65.
...ugh that really stinks I'll be lucky to get 2(might not get 1 for a while since I preorderd the $100 version...) of them then.I might just choose Mario or Link or Pika or Marth or so many choices....this sucks.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Unless I get a sudden windfall of cash, I'm just going to get my favorites, say 6 max (and even then I'll buy them at separate intervals).

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
I want one for all of my mains. That's at least Kirby, Ness, and Mega Man.

If I go for secondaries too (Sonic, Marth), then that's at least $50.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I'll probably end up getting a lot of them, to the point of driving my mom nuts...

Pikachu
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Bowser
Greninja
Charizard

Mostly animal characters (except Fox and Lucario).. I dunno why, I guess I like animals more than humans lol

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Maybe I'll buy one if Ridley is in, but I probably won't drop a penny if he isn't. Mostly because there isn't any other way to get an official Ridley figure, I don't really care about Amiibo functionality honestly.

Also, to gain a matter of perspective on how incredibly expensive things are over here in Denmark, getting 50 Skylanders figures costs 7500kr over here, which amounts to $1366 in US dollars.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Also, to gain a matter of perspective on how incredibly expensive things are over here in Denmark, getting 50 Skylanders figures costs 7500kr over here, which amounts to $1366 in US dollars.

If a figure was $20 and you bought 50 of them it would only be $1000 dollars.

at $1366 each figure would cost about $27.30, and that's before sales tax!

WELP I KNOW WHERE IM NEVER MOVING TO.

What's next? you'll tell me that the gas is $6.00 to the gallon?

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I checked a Skylander figure goes for about 700 rupees here (about US $11.6). I guess one (or occasionally two) a month would work.

I'm mostly interested in Luigi, Toon Link (that nendodroid figure is too expensive >_>), ROB and Zelda for now.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I checked a Skylander figure goes for about 700 rupees here (about US $11.6).
I keep forgetting that's a real-world currency. Damn you Zelda!

nessokman

Smash Lord
Amiibo is are worth it for competitive use. If they level up and learn your attack patterns as they said, you could get good practice with them. They can go up to level 50 according to sakurai, and if that is difficulty compared to level 9, that's scary.

I'll buy pit for sure, none others. KI is one of my favorite series.

Last edited:
Top Bottom