• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cost of Amiibo (HINT: It's big)

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
I plan on getting them al

You and I both know its too early to make a statement like that.Is it likely? No, but I wouldn't sell the idea short.The small amount of gameplay we got with the amiibo's looked fast, fast with a lot of combo possibilities, and if it doesn't end up being unbalanced when the characters are completely lvl'd up.I could honestly see this becoming a side tournament thing, especially if the mode ends up being fun.Its a crazy concept, and far from anything else previous in the series.+ My original comment was more of a "what if" situation. :)
I don't see CPU fighting being anything competitive. To give someone any sort of prize because of their AI figurine seems silly, somewhat wrong, and very unlikely. Yeah, no - the tournament scene may involve people bringing their Amiibos to show off, but never will it revolve around CPU fighting.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
(Sorry for the double post, computer glitched out and posted twice, don't know if it is possible to delete posts).

Last edited:

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
Every single one is just the character's render on a base....
Haha I know all of them are based off the renders. Zelda's is literally just the render though, rather than a toy model (Hence why I said "literally just her render" in my previous post).

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Unless they're required for unlockables I want in the game (i.e. a character/stage/trophy etc.), which would suck, or if I think I need them for any other games besides Smash for similar reasons, I probably won't be getting any. Maybe one in a very distant future.

Last edited:

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Haha I completely forgot that there going to be CPU's for some strange reason I was thinking you could controller and fight as them. Lmfao.
Nope, they are CPUs with advanced AI that adapt to your playstyle. Super neat! Will be awesome to train them up and improve their AI and then face them against someone else, but at the end of the day they are computers and I don't know if that should/would ever be competitive. Glad that silly thought it out of your head, you had me worried.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Nope, they are CPUs with advanced AI that adapt to your playstyle. Super neat! Will be awesome to train them up and improve their AI and then face them against someone else, but at the end of the day they are computers and I don't know if that should/would ever be competitive. Glad that silly thought it out of your head, you had me worried.
Come to think of it, it's a pretty good idea for playing by yourself. Many times when I don't have anyone around to play Smash with I find myself still wanting to play Smash, but not wanting to face off against the same old CPUs all the time.

Last edited:

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Come to think of it, it's a pretty good idea for playing by yourself. Many times when I don't have anyone around to play Smash with I find myself still wanting to play Smash, but not wanting to face off against the same old CPUs all the time.
Exactly! They are perfect! They develop 41 levels of AI beyond the normal level 9 CPUs, the AI is tailored to how you play, and thus exposes areas you need to work on, they can have equipment to boost their attack if you need to work on defense or boost their speed if you need to work on your own agility.

I plan on leveling each Amiibo to level 50 to prepare myself against every character. It'll be amazing.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
That's nuts haha. I'd much rather have that kind of feature in the game though, I don't want to spend money like that. It's a great idea...and an unfortunately financially costly one haha. I might get one or two. Or three.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Amiibos are really strange for me personally, because I want to get at least one, but I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for. I could see myself buying a Legend of Zelda set, but not Link, Zelda and Ganondorf on their own. The prices are also really expensive at 12 euros (which is around 15-20 dollars Canadian I think), so buying more than one is a tad unrealistic.

I'm going to wait until they announce the entire collection of characters before I lock on which one I want, because none of the current characters individually interest me in figurine form. I'd absolutely buy an Isaac or Masked Marth one though if they entered the game (Masked Marth hopefully as an alt costume for Marth), but neither of them are confirmed, so meh. Villager appeals to me the most out of the current roster since I'm an Animal Crossing fanatic, but considering it's an outdated villager model I don't feel it really represents AC all that well (despite him being an awesome character in Smash). I'd also consider Wii Fit Trainer simply because she's such an awesome Smash character, but I hate her pose.

Last edited:

TheBirdSolution

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBirdSolution
I only intend to buy the figures of characters that I wouldn't mind putting on my shelf, so Samus, Marth, Mega Man and the like. It does give us the opportunity to get merch of lesser known Nintendo franchises like FE and, to a degree, F-Zero, but past that, eh, my interest is fleeting at best.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
What happens if a tournament scene revolves around the figures though. From the short amount of gameplay we've seen I think its actually a possibility.
Well first, I don't see that happening.
But implying we do get something like that, I'll still go with the traditional route of actually controlling the character.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'll definitely get Yoshi and I'll probably get the Pokémon.

I'unno, it just feels like it makes more sense to individualise characters that there's canonically more than one of.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I'll definitely at least get one of Luigi, to see how the AI thing actually works. If it works well and actually gives you a viable AI training partner that learns, then I'll gradually get more of them of other characters.

Also, Amiibo doubles (where you team up with your Amiibo against someone else and their Amiibo) could be a really fun side event.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I want Charizard since being watched by a dragon while I sleep makes me feel sleep.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I just gonna buy the one are my MAINS fighters. Kirby and Olimar/Pikmin are the perfect started Amigos.... I mean Amiibos. Then when Start Maining every single one with custom moves then I got another Amiibos. I gonna get DK one, I want to do Tornado Punch and badass armor. Tank DK confirmed!?

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
The goal is to have Amiibo for every playable character at launch, according to interviews with the developers. And seeing how each Amiibo is designed by their appearance on their character pages on the Smash website, it seems like they have had the design of each Amiibo planned since the start and I see no reason why they wouldnt have them all ready.

That being said, I plan to get them all simply because I love Nintendo merchandise. Obviously can't get them all at once, but eventually, oh yes, they will be mine.

I think competitively it is smart to get them all so you are prepared for any character, and not only that, but each character that is completely aware of how you play. Granted this is all dependent on if the AI is actually good, which I think it will be. I'll have to get just a couple and test them out before I officially decide to get them all, but even if the AI is awful I imagine buying them just to have on my shelf, they look so detailed and quality.

First one will be Toon Link, dur.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Yeeeeeah, unless you're a career-level pro and know you can make a profit in tournament prizes, a full set is not going to be a good investment if you ask me.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Yeeeeeah, unless you're a career-level pro and know you can make a profit in tournament prizes, a full set is not going to be a good investment if you ask me.
The fun of leveling them all up and also the fact that they are compatible with other games (and they look super legit) is enough of a reason for investment to me. If I ever make money from a tournament that pays them off and makes the training worth it, bonus.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I'll be getting Wario, Rosalina and Ike, as they're my mains.
Here, I have an incredibly advanced (if Sakurai is to be believed) AI that will actively learn. Is no-one seeing the implications of this?
The amount that this could help my Wario/Rosalina/Ike game is insane and as I'm getting functionality out of them (matchup knowledge, mirror knowledge), the amiibo won't just learn from me. I can learn from it.
This, to me, is the main draw of amiibos and why I'd want to collect them.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Buying every amiibo from Australian retailers, assuming a 47 character roster, would cost $1410. Not going to happen. :p I definitely want to see how they function, though.

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
Buying every amiibo from Australian retailers, assuming a 47 character roster, would cost $1410. Not going to happen. :p I definitely want to see how they function, though.
It would actually cost $1407.65 since they're $29.95 each and not $30. Sounds like a bargain to me. Here I come, EB Games!

Last edited:

FatedTitan

Smash Rookie
Here's my frustration with Amiibo.

1. Congrats Nintendo, you are directly copying Skylanders and Disney Infinity. You're once again just playing catch up to try to get some money out of customers.

2. The adoption rate of WiiU is super low already. Asking people to buy a WiiU, Smash Bros, THEN Amiibos is ridiculous. I'm not going to spend more money to buy an action figure that I won't use.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Hopefully, the AI is smart enough to actually use it as an effective training tool. I want to be able to actually use it to improve my own skills, or it won't be worth the cost.
Piccolo said:
That's not an Abridged joke or a reference to my avatar. That's literally the first thing I thought of when I found out about Amiibos in general.

2. The adoption rate of WiiU is super low already. Asking people to buy a WiiU, Smash Bros, THEN Amiibos is ridiculous. I'm not going to spend more money to buy an action figure that I won't use.
That's where Amiibo has the upper hand on Skylanders and Infinity - unlike the figures there, which they're mandatory to do anything, these are entirely optional.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
It would actually cost $1407.65 since they're $29.95 each and not $30. Sounds like a bargain to me. Here I come, EB Games!
#rekt

Well, there's always a chance they'll be selling bundles or give away free stuff to people who place pre-orders. Or something. I can hope. :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If there was a Skylanders-esque starter pack where you bought the game and three characters what ones would you want and what would you expect?

I'd want Mario, Mega-Man and Pac-Man.

I'd expect Mario, Link and Kirby.

Chepish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chepish
3DS FC
2638-0438-3598
I'll be getting one or two. These skylanders figures cost around R$:50,00 in Brazil. ç.ç'

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I'm probably gonna get 4 at most, 2 for Me & My Sister's Mains, and 2 more for our "Training Partners".
I'm thinking of using :gw: as my main and :4megaman: as my Partner, and I think that my sister is gonna use :4pacman: with :4bowser: as her partner.
Wait, Mr. Game & Watch and Pac-Man?

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
My question is how they're going to make amiibos for the secret characters without spoiling them for people buying the game :p I suppose it doesn't really matter tho

Malion

Smash Ace
I do plan on buying a few of these. If only for my Mains... plus figures that I think just look cool.

So probably Kirby, Toon Link, Villager...

Luigi if only because he'll likely have his belly flop pose and that would be epic in figurine form.

(man can you imagine if Nintendo made like limited edition exclusives. Like recolours of the characters at conventions and stuff.)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My question is how they're going to make amiibos for the secret characters without spoiling them for people buying the game :p I suppose it doesn't really matter tho
They'll probably do the characters as a series and the first lot are the starters and the second lot are the secret characters.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Amiibos will release with the Wii U launch, the 3DS will have already been out for quite awhile with people posting and sharing the entire roster. But yes those who follow nothing with Smash will probably see them and know. I'd be quite perturbed if my Toon Link was unlockable and not available as an Amiibo at launch.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Amiibos will release with the Wii U launch, the 3DS will have already been out for quite awhile with people posting and sharing the entire roster. But yes those who follow nothing with Smash will probably see them and know. I'd be quite perturbed if my Toon Link was unlockable and not available as an Amiibo at launch.
Ah right! I forgot about that xD I keep forgetting about the 3DS version

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

1. Congrats Nintendo, you are directly copying Skylanders and Disney Infinity. You're once again just playing catch up to try to get some money out of customers.

1. So? Just because they both use the tots to life gimmick doesn't automatically make it a complete ripoff, just means it was inspired. Who knows? Maybe the amiibos will do something Skylanders/Infinity doesn't when the game comes out. Skylanders didn't even invent the Toys to Life system, they just popularized it. There already were a few games with figurines like this one:

2. The difference is that amiibo is only optional and isn't required to unlock any char in the game. Where in Skylanders/Infinity you need at least 8 characters to explore through everything in the game.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Also, Amiibos are compatible with more than the game they release for, so you get more bang for your buck. Lots of good stuff that Nintendo is doing with them.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491

1. Not exactly. The figures don't even do the same thing.

Skylanders/Infinity only work with one game, and revisions. These will work across several games, not just SSB or a sandbox game or something.

Also, considering Activision originally approached Nintendo with the Skylander concept, it's more like a PlayStation 1 situation, where Nintendo was on board to do it from the beginning, but wanted to do it themselves, not with Activision. They wanted full control. The NFC thing was there from day 1 on Wii U, so they clearly had plans to include figures at some point since -forever- in development. They just hadn't had games to support them yet.

But the fact that Skylanders, Infinity & Amiibo are all VERY different in their actual use, it's not really copying. The only 'copy' is using toys, but Nintendo obviously had this idea floating around as soon as they added the NFC square, since we've already HAD NFC figures (Pokemon Rumble U).

2. Amiibos aren't mandatory. For Wii U, or Smash Bros., or any game that supports them. MK8 supports them, they're not even out yet. So go ahead. Don't buy them. It's not going to affect the Wii U sales or SSB.

Top Bottom