• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chibi-Robo for SSB4 Thread!! A little guy with BIG Potential!

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
My mistake; I was under the impression that they announced another Japanese-exclusive one recently.

Well, basically, then. It's the closest comparison.
Nah thats pretty different being that more people do know him outside of Japan. Also the last one was just given an official Australian title so it will probably release worldwide.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
I would support this. Basically because I love his games, and he would add something extremely unique to the game.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
He has the perfect Smash Bros/Nintendo look and is pretty unconventional as far as characters go. I mean, I'd enjoy playing Isaac or Chrom or Shulk as any person, but they're nothing we haven't seen before. On the other hand, who wouldn't want to play as some quirky little robot who cleans things? I support him and hope he gets in.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Olimar could make it I don't see why Chibi couldn't.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Photo Finder is being localized for the North American eShop!

I'm actually starting to feel more hope for Chibi-Robo being playable. Just a little. Sakurai's strong emphasis on newcomers with unique mechanics makes me think Chibi-Robo actually has a distinct advantage over other playable characters this time around.

chibi 4 essessbibi4

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was thinking earlier about a charging mechanic for Chibi Robo that changes his speed and power.

The longer he goes without charging the weaker and more sluggish he becomes....however if he charges enough his speed and power vastly increases. (And he could possibly also get an electricity element added to his attacks when fully charged that might stun/paralyse opponents briefly.)

Also he could have a way to scrub parts of the stage making them sparkle. (so people can recognise it) Those areas would be slippery like the ice on the ice climbers stage.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was thinking earlier about a charging mechanic for Chibi Robo that changes his speed and power.

The longer he goes without charging the weaker and more sluggish he becomes....however if he charges enough his speed and power vastly increases. (And he could possibly also get an electricity element added to his attacks when fully charged that might stun/paralyse opponents briefly.)

seems like the kind of thing they may do

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It might have something to do with Olimar being from the game Pikmin. :awesome:

No seriously, I don't see how the two are comparable (unless this is alluding to their size discrepancies).

I'm pretty sure he's talking about their size, that's what I took from it at least.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
It might have something to do with Olimar being from the game Pikmin. :awesome:

No seriously, I don't see how the two are comparable (unless this is alluding to their size discrepancies).
I think he is talking about size, and how people might say that Chibi-Robo is too small.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Chibi Robo? Too small? Well, that may be true, but so are Olimar and Kirby. I mean, If Chibi Robo makes it into the game, they aren't going to expand his size to some awkward and gargantuan proportion. It'll allude to his canonically correct small stature, just like Olimar, a man the size of a quarter.

In other news, I'm so happy Photo Finder is getting localized! Not only am I going to try and get it on day one, but getting a newcomer to correlate with the game is always a possibility...maybe not so soon after Rosalina's reveal, but eventually...

Also, in the Nintendo Direct last Wednesday, Iwata referred to Chibi Robo as a "fan-favorite series from the Gamecube era". If I recall, he also referred to Yoshi and Zelda as fan-favorites. Now, I doubt that Chibi-Robo is on the same plane as Yoshi, let alone Zelda, but I feel like the series has found some favor in Nintendo. I don't want to get any hopes up, but I have a hunch.

OKALRIGHT

Smash Rookie
If the Mother series can have a total of three games (with only one releasing outside of Japan) and have TWO playable characters, I have faith that Cheebo will get a spot.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
If the Mother series can have a total of three games (with only one releasing outside of Japan) and have TWO playable characters, I have faith that Cheebo will get a spot.
Just prepare yourself for the possibility of him not being playable. He's hardly a shoo-in, unfortunately.

Tree Cat

Smash Cadet
YES! I was going through smash trophies and I thought he would make a good addition. It would be great if he spun his chord around for a neutral air. Maybe his side B is a toothbrush smack similar to ness' baseball bat.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I think Chibi Robo is a legitimate contender. I've seen him a few times before but never really knew anything about him. He's definitely one of the series we could use representation from. He's got tons of moveset potential and has a very unique design. He's got my support.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I would like to have Chibi-Robo, that comparison made me want him even more. He would be unique and the right WTF character we need this time around.

btw made this;

Last edited:

ErictheLone

Smash Apprentice
Add me as a supporter please. He reminds me a bit of my old main, Pichu, being so small and with those adorable beady little eyes of his. I would definitely want to play as him. He is definitely an appealing character, and Nintendo/Miyamoto seem fairly determined to get him to "catch on". A playable role in smash would certainly help with that. I think he's gonna happen guys.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Chibi-Robo moveset:
Stats
Weight: 3/10
Falling Speed: 8/10
Running Speed: 5/10
Size: 3/10
Power: 4/10

Neutral Special: Outlet Charge
Chibi pulls out a small generator with an outlet and charges his batteries by plugging in. A full charge takes 4 full seconds of continuous charging. When fully charged, all of Chibi's attacks do 2% more damage (barring Up Special) for 12 seconds. Chibi's speed will also increase in this time period to a speed comparable to Pikachu's.

Side Special: Chibi-Blaster
Chibi-Robo puts on an arm cannon and shots a small green bolt that doesn't travel far and curves downwards. You can charge this bolt in a similar fashion as ZSS paralyzer for more damage and distance. The blaster doesn't do a lot of damage but has a lot of knockback. 5% uncharged 10% fully charged

Down Special: Toothbrush
Chibi-Robo will scrub a small area on the ground with his toothbrush doing 3 quick swipes in front of him (3% damage). The area will gain suds that will cause tripping to whoever steps on the spot excluding Chibi-Robo. The suds will wash away after 7 seconds and you can only create two suds spots at the same time. This attack can only be used on the ground.

Up Special: Chibi-Copter
Chibi Robo uses his Chibi Copter to gain vertical height then float gently downwards. The propeller does damage as well totaling out to 11 hits 1% each.

Side Smash: Spoon Scoop
Chibi-Robo pulls out his spoon and swipes upwards in a scooping motion. This attack will do 5% more on an opponent stuck in a pitfall but will remove them from that state. 14% uncharged 20% fully charged

Down Smash: Cord Spin
Chibi spins 3 times with his cord hitting those to both sides of him. 4%, 4%, 5% uncharged 5%, 5%, 6% Fully Charged

Up Smash: Trash Launch
Chibi's lid opens up and out flies a random piece trash he's collected. Damage and knockback is based on what type of trash comes out.
(4/10)Wastepaper: 12% uncharged 17% charged
(3/10)Candy Wrapper: 13% uncharged 18% charged
(2/10)Crumb: 15% uncharged 21% charged
(1/10)Candy Bag: 17% uncharged 24% charged
Neutral Aerial: Cord Whirl
Chibi picks up his cord and twirls it vertically beside him two times. 5%, 5%
Back Aerial: Twig Swipe
Chibi pulls out a twig from his head and swipes downward from his head behind him. 9%

Forward Aerial: Plug Bash
Basically what's in the picture below. This is one of his best kill moves and strongest aerial. 12%

Up Aerial: Squirter
Points his squirter upwards sending out a long hitbox of water. Great juggling tool. 8% each

Down Special: Party Popper
Chibi pops one of Telly-Vision's poppers below him as a spike. 10%
Jab: Chibi jabs with his hands twice. 3%, 3%
Up Tilt: Chibi bends down and quickly raises up his head. Low knockback and a good combo move. 6%
Forward Tilt: Chibi attacks the opponent with a full garbage bag swing. 10%
Down Tilt: Chibi stamps his foot down diagonally. A very quick move that can be used in succession. 4%
Dash Attack: Vacuum
A multihit move in which Chibi pushes his vacuum forward running over the competition. 5 hits 2% each

Chibi utilizes his clippers to catch his opponents. They extend about 2 1/2 character lengths in front of him.
Pummel: Chibi squeezes on the clippers causing them to clamp on the opponent doing 1% .
Forward Throw: Chibi quickly extends the clippers launching the captive enemy out. 8%
Down Throw: Chibi raises the opponent still captured in the clippers and slams them on the ground. 6%
Back Throw: Chibi spins around and launches the opponent out of the clippers. 8%
Up Throw: Chibi pops the opponent out of the clippers and into his head. He then shoots them straight out. This is his strongest throw. 10%

Giga-Robo!
Chibi summons Giga to the battlefield, Giga puts Chibi on his shoulders and then you control Giga for the next 10-12 seconds. Giga stomps around as you lead him toward the competition. The only thing is that he's pretty slow.

Last edited:

NoPLo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoploSnowman
I have never played any Chibi-Robo game, so I'm not sure this idea would fit the character... Here I go:

How about a down B special that allows him to plug himself ANYWHERE he stands on the stage, and keeps plugged until he gets unplugged by himself of another player's attack? The idea is being plugged to anywhere as much as possible and depend on this movement, kind of like Olimar depends on Pikmins or Ice Climbers depend on having both players to have a chance. This is: the main signature of the character, and what does him make unique compared to anothers.

- While plugged, he could slowly heal himself, or attacks could become stronger, or both of them.

- While unplugged, he slowly gains damage, or attacks aren't strong enough, or both...

- While plugged he could still move freely in a decent range, but if he wants to get more far away than his electric wire's length allows, he first should unplug himself so he can plug again at a more convenient new spot.

- A strong enough attack from an opponent, would send him flying and consequently getting unplugged, so he better gets plugged again when he gets a chance.

What do you think? Too complicated for a Smash game?

Even if I'm not familiar with the character, I would love having such a unique fighter in the game. Just like I'm happy with Rosalina because her double fighting style is pretty creative, even if I'm not a big fan of her.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just bought Photo-Finder last night.

...I really want Chibi-Robo now. :laugh:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I hope photo finder comes to Europe soon, although my camera is always so dark and unresponsive.....I'll probably have to play it in natural light.

If Nintendo really got behind this franchise it could become very popular. It's something that has bothered me when I look in at the series, it could be so much more if Nintendo really got behind it.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I hope photo finder comes to Europe soon, although my camera is always so dark and unresponsive.....I'll probably have to play it in natural light.

If Nintendo really got behind this franchise it could become very popular. It's something that has bothered me when I look in at the series, it could be so much more if Nintendo really got behind it.
Nintendo is pretty behind it for it being developed by a third party company. Pretty sure Skip Ltd. is not second party because they don't have a contract to release games exclusively for nintendo, they just do. Plus nintendo did help with chibi robo because they saw it had potential.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Nintendo is pretty behind it for it being developed by a third party company. Pretty sure Skip Ltd. is not second party because they don't have a contract to release games exclusively for nintendo, they just do. Plus nintendo did help with chibi robo because they saw it had potential.
I'm pretty sure Chibi Robo isn't third party. At all.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I'm pretty sure Chibi Robo isn't third party. At all.
Okay not really 3rd party, all I know is he isn't truly second party by contract, Skip ltd. and Nintendo just work really close. I mean most of their larger projects have involved Nintendo's help/ guidance or even like Captain Rainbow which uses some Nintendo characters in it. Obviously chibi robo is seen by Nintendo as one of their characters since his trophy was in Brawl.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Okay not really 3rd party, all I know is he isn't truly second party by contract, Skip ltd. and Nintendo just work really close. I mean most of their larger projects have involved Nintendo's help/ guidance or even like Captain Rainbow which uses some Nintendo characters in it. Obviously chibi robo is seen by Nintendo as one of their characters since his trophy was in Brawl.
Source, please?

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Source, please?
Well you can't just source a company's standings, but I can show you what I mean.
A second party company by definition is (as stated by wikipedia):
Second party developer is a colloquial term used by gaming enthusiasts and media often used to describe two different types of game development studios:

1. Independently-owned studios who take development contracts from the platform holders and what they produce will usually be exclusive to that platform.
  2. Studios who are partially or wholly owned by the platform holder (also known as a subsidiary) and what they produce will usually be exclusive to that platform.
In reality, the resulting game is first party (since it is funded by the platform holder who usually owns the resulting IP), but the term helps to distinguish independent studios from those directly owned by the platform holder. These studios may have exclusive publishing agreements (or other business relationships) with the platform holder, while maintaining independence. Examples are Insomniac Games (which previously developed games solely for Sony's PlayStation platforms as an independent studio) and Game Freak, (which primarily develops the Nintendo-exclusivePokémon game series).
That means Nintendo would either have to own a part or in full skip ltd. OR have payed them/funded their game to make it exclusive to their consoles (like Nintendo and platinum for Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2).

Skip ltd. is not owned by Nintendo, only having a close relationship to them letting them publish all their games but one by choice, not because they were commissioned by Nintendo to make exclusive games for them. (Companies owned by Nintendo are 1-up studios, creatures inc, monolith soft, Nd cube, and Retro studios.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_of_Japan

However it lists partners which it mistakenly calls second party development firms which includes atlus, sega, square enix, skip ltd. etc. but are not exclusively second party. Yes they have exclusives, but that does not mean they are strictly 2nd party (or cooking mama and the ace attorney series would be in the same grey zone. The only difference is skip is much much closer to Nintendo of Japan.)

But you have a point. If Nintendo classifies chibi robo as their own, then they view skip ltd. as a loyal company to them.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I used to easily see him just as an assist trophy, yet he is getting quite a bit more notoriety thanks to Photo Finder's release. We should take into account that newcomers are slim pickings this time around, so in all for giving less popular characters like Chibi Robi and Isaac a chance.

Anyways, I have a good feeling he might be playable, because of Sakurai searching for unique characters this time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well you can't just source a company's standings, but I can show you what I mean.
A second party company by definition is (as stated by wikipedia):

That means Nintendo would either have to own a part or in full skip ltd. OR have payed them/funded their game to make it exclusive to their consoles (like Nintendo and platinum for Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2).

Skip ltd. is not owned by Nintendo, only having a close relationship to them letting them publish all their games but one by choice, not because they were commissioned by Nintendo to make exclusive games for them. (Companies owned by Nintendo are 1-up studios, creatures inc, monolith soft, Nd cube, and Retro studios.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_of_Japan

However it lists partners which it mistakenly calls second party development firms which includes atlus, sega, square enix, skip ltd. etc. but are not exclusively second party. Yes they have exclusives, but that does not mean they are strictly 2nd party (or cooking mama and the ace attorney series would be in the same grey zone. The only difference is skip is much much closer to Nintendo of Japan.)

But you have a point. If Nintendo classifies chibi robo as their own, then they view skip ltd. as a loyal company to them.
i believe nintendo own part of the rights to chibi-robo and he is not own by skip fully

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I support Chibi-Robo! Although, I think Chibi would be almost as tall as Olimar. And I also think using Telly Vision as a copter would be a more appropriate recovery. I've also made a moveset (with a little influence from the one in the OP) if you'd like to see it, just without floor/ledge attacks and throws.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
i believe nintendo own part of the rights to chibi-robo and he is not own by skip fully
Mmm perhaps, or it may just be that Miyamoto was interested in seeing the series succeed and had a huge hand in that game being finished the way it was on the Gamecube.
(Also wasn't there a trophy for another game Nintendo didn't fully/truly own? She had a shirt with like an NES or something on it and she was from a detective like game that had a really cool art style on the DS and Wii?)

I support Chibi-Robo! Although, I think Chibi would be almost as tall as Olimar. And I also think using Telly Vision as a copter would be a more appropriate recovery. I've also made a moveset (with a little influence from the one in the OP) if you'd like to see it, just without floor/ledge attacks and throws.
Telly only appears in one game and chibi robo does have his chibi copter.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Mmm perhaps, or it may just be that Miyamoto was interested in seeing the series succeed and had a huge hand in that game being finished the way it was on the Gamecube.
(Also wasn't there a trophy for another game Nintendo didn't fully/truly own? She had a shirt with like an NES or something on it and she was from a detective like game that had a really cool art style on the DS and Wii?)

Telly only appears in one game and chibi robo does have his chibi copter.
still, telly had his own trophy in brawl. So that's why i said that.

Is the serie you think of Famicom Detective Club? Or Elite Beat Agents?

Top Bottom