• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chat Waker - Toon Link social

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Shield hitlag and shieldstun are different things. For all things of this sort, go to the smash dictionary http://smashboards.com/threads/the-smash-dictionary.374538/

And about the whole potential shield breaking thing. The shield needs to be lowered for starters, and even then it isn't a guaranteed shield-break because the opponent can choose to get hit by the second hit of Nair by letting go of shield. Unless of course their shield is so low that the first hit of Nair will break it, in which case, yes, it would be inescapable once they shield the bomb.
This is definitely superior to the F-smash situation. The opponent can always potentially avoid the second hit of F-smash completely once they shield the first hit (e.g. if they roll asap) (though I will admit that this has become a scarier situation for them now) and unlike the second hit of Nair which can be landed behind the opponent's shield to avoid grabs where you'll have a potential +1 frame advantage on shield-drop (i.e. you'll have a real chance of getting off scot-free), the second hit of F-smash is still super punishable if it doesn't break the shield.
Ahh, thanks for reminding me that the Smash Dictionary existed...
Also, with the shield-breaking combo... meh...
With that 3-frame window, I honestly don't think many people are going to be diligent enough to learn this tech. It's even MORE situational than IZAC, which seemed really great, but still was too situational and hard to perform for us to see it in many places.
I mean, when Smash WiiU came out, I was thinking of the game all wrong until I got used to the engine and how things worked out. We're almost dealing with an entirely changed set of efficient play with this new shield. Shielding after recovering to the ledge is even less viable than before, so I imagine that the situations we're thinking of (one in which we have the choice of doing things against a person sitting in shield on the ledge) probably won't even happen as much anymore.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Ahh, thanks for reminding me that the Smash Dictionary existed...
Also, with the shield-breaking combo... meh...
With that 3-frame window, I honestly don't think many people are going to be diligent enough to learn this tech. It's even MORE situational than IZAC, which seemed really great, but still was too situational and hard to perform for us to see it in many places.
I mean, when Smash WiiU came out, I was thinking of the game all wrong until I got used to the engine and how things worked out. We're almost dealing with an entirely changed set of efficient play with this new shield. Shielding after recovering to the ledge is even less viable than before, so I imagine that the situations we're thinking of (one in which we have the choice of doing things against a person sitting in shield on the ledge) probably won't even happen as much anymore.
I wouldn't compare it to the IZAC. This new thing requires a SH, a brief waiting period, a down-throw within a 3 frame window, following by a buffered Nair (10 frame buffer window). (and that's if you do it the hard way)
IZAC requires a 1 frame window z-drop input, and if you miss it by one frame on either side it messes the whole thing up completely (JC throw or Zair coming out), and then it requires you to let go of that grab button before inputting the aerial within a few frames. It's not on the same level of difficulty at all.
You'd only do it if the opponent is in the habit of being a jerk and staying in shield, perfectly content to take the bomb on their shield.
Not that it matters or anything, because in the end I think you're right. I don't think anyone will use it.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
I miss the old Toon still... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05QkYCgkca4
Imagine if we used BFO back then as much as we do now. **** would be swag as ****.
Man, that zair...
Whenever I play Brawl with my less competitive friends who don't want to shell out the money for Smash 4 and a WiiU, I'm always a bit worried that I'm going really underperform because of the different mechanics and such (and the bomb hurts you!), but Brawl Toon and Marth are just so strong in general that I do fine anyway. Ahh.

And nair used to be able to kill! That threw me off when I went back. And bair.. man, that bair.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Man, that zair...
Whenever I play Brawl with my less competitive friends who don't want to shell out the money for Smash 4 and a WiiU, I'm always a bit worried that I'm going really underperform because of the different mechanics and such (and the bomb hurts you!), but Brawl Toon and Marth are just so strong in general that I do fine anyway. Ahh.

And nair used to be able to kill! That threw me off when I went back. And bair.. man, that bair.
The main things that threw me when watching brawl Toon again were the huge recovery distance, the practical applications of Zair, SH double Bair/Arrows, and the range on Nair. You just forget how potent and central they once were.
Edit: oh and how could I forget. The Dair pogo. That felt super weird watching that again.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I have a question. You see, I was hoping to buy a game on the eShop, and I narrowed the choices down to Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. I'm not sure which to get, and I only have enough money for one. Which one would you guys/gals recommend?

Edit: Please say your reasoning behind your choice too. I want to get why you hold the game higher than the other.

Edit 2: I also have Four Swords Adventure, which the reason that's significant is that Minish Cap is the prequel to it and the original Four Swords, so that makes it even more tricky.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I have a question. You see, I was hoping to buy a game on the eShop, and I narrowed the choices down to Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. I'm not sure which to get, and I only have enough money for one. Which one would you guys/gals recommend?
A Link to the Past easy.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Do you mind if I ask for your reasoning behind this?
Cuz pink-haired Linkette?

Nah in all seriousness, it's a great classic that, in my opinion, really made the series. It's up there in one of my favorite Zeldas of all time. Lots of people actually consider it the absolute best LoZ. Minish is great too of course but ALttP is a treasure.

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Should I buy two more Toon Link Amiibo? I'm a big fan of the Zelda manga, and I already have a Toon Link called Blue. Should I get one for Vio and Red, too? (I play as green)

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
If anyone's interested, LotadAlittle LotadAlittle and I host online weeklies for toon link players. Sometimes they do well, sometimes they flop. I'd appreciate it if people joined.
Bracket
Signup page
Well it isn't specifically for tink players specifically, It's kind of just whoever we can get.

Edit: Please say your reasoning behind your choice too. I want to get why you hold the game higher than the other.

Edit 2: I also have Four Swords Adventure, which the reason that's significant is that Minish Cap is the prequel to it and the original Four Swords, so that makes it even more tricky.
Personally I've never played either of them (I played about 30 mins of mc but that was it) however from what I've heard Lttp is considered among the best out of all the LoZ games, I'm probably going to play it soon but at the moment I've only played 2 of the 13 fire emblem games... I gotta fix that. Anyway, I personally haven't played them but I would definitely play LttP first because of what I've heard already. In fact, if you bought the original 3ds in the 1st month or so of it's release (I can't remember exactly how long) then you can get the minish cap for free. If I remember right you go to the eShop (3ds) and check downloads, you should already have a bunch of games downloaded, just install them. There were a ton of games, fire emblem 8, F-zero (gba), metroid fusion, warioland 4, minish cap, etc.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
For those who helped me with the games, thank you for your input. I really appreciate it, and I guess A Link to the Past wins.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
There's a little buzz going around about this movement option:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgSYA8QrviE&index=122&list=WL&ab_channel=McDareth

Not like we have much use for this though. Why do we get one of the best turnaround pivot slides (slingshot?) in the game and an above-average sliding pivot, and not very good ground options? :(

And my other main, Marth, has a **** sliding pivot. Just like his perfect pivot. The only move he slides with is Shield Breaker anyway, and with the nerf to Shield Breaker in the most recent patch, it's slightly less reliable. Meh.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47

Police and the Swat team: FREEZEE!! Put down down the sword and keep your hands up! You're under arrest!

:4tlink:: I didn't do anything.

Last edited:

McDareth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
McDareth
Yes and he was only seven and a half years too late to get the naming rights. www.smashboards.com/threads/video-up-waveland-reverse-moonwalk-advance-technique.143261/
Such a shame.
Yeah, when I first noticed it in Smash 4 I had no idea what Craq Walking was (and I played Brawl somewhat competitively) until many months later when a friend looked around and showed me a video about it.

Over all though I don't care too much about what it's called. I more so just wanted to make sure that people know about its existence and try to work on using it intentionally normal play. I only decided to call them this as I wanted something easy to say (that also doesn't sound silly to say honestly). I definitely didn't and don't mean to take away from iCraq's discovery of it in Brawl at all though. Even my usage of a cover of the Brawl FD theme was an homage to the fact that it exists in Brawl.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah, when I first noticed it in Smash 4 I had no idea what Craq Walking was (and I played Brawl somewhat competitively) until many months later when a friend looked around and showed me a video about it.

Over all though I don't care too much about what it's called. I more so just wanted to make sure that people know about its existence and try to work on using it intentionally normal play. I only decided to call them this as I wanted something easy to say (that also doesn't sound silly to say honestly). I definitely didn't and don't mean to take away from iCraq's discovery of it in Brawl at all though. Even my usage of a cover of the Brawl FD theme was an homage to the fact that it exists in Brawl.
lol I don't care for the name 'Craq Walk' anyway. I've always called it 'Pivot Landing', but then there are so many names for it when considering the fact that people often conflate it with things like Haze Walking, Pivot Boosting, Boost Walking, Pivot Walking and even Doop Walking. And that's kind of the point I was trying to make really, the fact that this tech is 'discovered' every year or so XD. There are a few things that are guaranteed if you hang around smashboards long enough, and witnessing the discovery that pivoting induces slides is one of them. It's most amusing.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I'm gonna ahead and introduce myself.

Hello I'm Technology and I'm a Meta Knight main from Michigan (stacked state). I'm considered a high level player amongst my scene and have done cool things in the past. Until recently, I have played mostly with just Meta Knight but I have decided to follow through and give Toon Link a shot. Why Toon Link? Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game ever and I also believe Toon Link is a good fit for me a character. I just find him fun as well.

Yesterday I entered a local event and placed 5th out of 68 with about equal amounts of :4metaknight:/:4tlink:.

Bracket can be found here: http://smashboards.com/threads/smashfield-weeklies-11-southfield-mi-10-15-15.420720/

I'll be sticking around, asking questions and researching. I also did have a video recorded so I will post that at some point. I'm new to the character but I'm very good at learning new characters quickly. Looking forward to seeing how this adventure goes. <3

Last edited:

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
I'm gonna ahead and introduce myself.

Hello I'm Technology and I'm a Meta Knight main from Michigan (stacked state). I'm considered a high level player amongst my scene and have done cool things in the past. Until recently, I have played mostly with just Meta Knight but I have decided to follow through and give Toon Link a shot. Why Toon Link? Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game ever and I also believe Toon Link is a good fit for me a character. I just find him fun as well.

Yesterday I entered a local event and placed 5th out of 68 with about equal amounts of :4metaknight:/:4tlink:.

Bracket can be found here: http://smashboards.com/threads/smashfield-weeklies-11-southfield-mi-10-15-15.420720/

I'll be sticking around, asking questions and researching. I also did have a video recorded so I will post that at some point. I'm new to the character but I'm very good at learning new characters quickly. Looking forward to seeing how this adventure goes. <3
Well, good luck to you. If you want, you can join the skype chat because we are so much more active there, but any of us will be willing to help here too. If you need anything, just ask.

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
Helloooo!

Name: Vapo
Mains: Toon Link, Jigglypuff
Secondaries: Lucas, Roy
Favourite Toon Link costume: The blue one and the one where he has orange hair.

I've been a Toon Link main since I first unlocked him in Brawl and he's definitely my best character out of my mains. I have great fun playing as him but sadly am limited to options: I get pretty intense input delay online and have no tourneys near me, like, ever due to living in Dubai. I also don't know anyone irl who likes Smash, so I settle for laggy online matches and CPUs. I play Toon Link because he fits my playstyle perfectly and is just so fun to play as. Despite being a Toon Link main I've never finished Wind Waker (I do have it though), but plan to one day. I want to get better at playing Toon Link despite not really having much to use said skills on and here seems perfect.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Helloooo!

Name: Vapo
Mains: Toon Link, Jigglypuff
Secondaries: Lucas, Roy
Favourite Toon Link costume: The blue one and the one where he has orange hair.

I've been a Toon Link main since I first unlocked him in Brawl and he's definitely my best character out of my mains. I have great fun playing as him but sadly am limited to options: I get pretty intense input delay online and have no tourneys near me, like, ever due to living in Dubai. I also don't know anyone irl who likes Smash, so I settle for laggy online matches and CPUs. I play Toon Link because he fits my playstyle perfectly and is just so fun to play as. Despite being a Toon Link main I've never finished Wind Waker (I do have it though), but plan to one day. I want to get better at playing Toon Link despite not really having much to use said skills on and here seems perfect.
in that case, welcome to the tink boards! Although I feel I've seen you here a few times before... maybe that was on the boards.
anyway...
Welcome to the tink social! Here we talk about... um... we talk about... stuff... and things... and stuff...
I think I said it best back then, just kinda talk about whatever I guess

genandnic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-6683-5828
I'm gonna quote posts that are a week old because I don't check back here very often:
If anyone's interested, LotadAlittle LotadAlittle and I host online weeklies for toon link players. Sometimes they do well, sometimes they flop. I'd appreciate it if people joined.
Bracket
Signup page
Whoa, I had no idea these existed. That sounds really fun, I love mirror matches.
I miss the old Toon still... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05QkYCgkca4
Imagine if we used BFO back then as much as we do now. **** would be swag as ****.
I think about this a lot. If Toon Link had Brawl Toon Link's bair, dair, arrows... he'd be that much more fun to play as. I loved how you could sweep your opponent across the stage with bair. I miss when you wouldn't get punished for actually landing dair. And I use arrows a lot less now that you can't cancel the animation anymore.

Top Bottom