• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chat Waker - Toon Link social

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna quote posts that are a week old because I don't check back here very often:

Whoa, I had no idea these existed. That sounds really fun, I love mirror matches.

I think about this a lot. If Toon Link had Brawl Toon Link's bair, dair, arrows... he'd be that much more fun to play as. I loved how you could sweep your opponent across the stage with bair. I miss when you wouldn't get punished for actually landing dair. And I use arrows a lot less now that you can't cancel the animation anymore.
Dude... you know what I'd really like back?
We've already discussed missing our bair and a whole ton of other stuff in the previous pages of this thread, and I don't feel like digging for them and repeating them... but our old dash attack that would semi-spike is something else that was almost unnecessarily nerfed. I wonder if the team working on Smash 4 thought that they buffed it by giving it its new angle though, lol. It's definitely a lot better onstage, but I really miss our dash attack gimps.

Last edited:

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
Hi there, friends!

Username: Grimtixx (I also go by Agnius)

Main: Lucas

Co-Mains: Zero Suit Samus and Toon Link

Favorite costume: the black one where Tink has red eyes. :p

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
I'm gonna quote posts that are a week old because I don't check back here very often:

Whoa, I had no idea these existed. That sounds really fun, I love mirror matches.

I think about this a lot. If Toon Link had Brawl Toon Link's bair, dair, arrows... he'd be that much more fun to play as. I loved how you could sweep your opponent across the stage with bair. I miss when you wouldn't get punished for actually landing dair. And I use arrows a lot less now that you can't cancel the animation anymore.
http://challonge.com/j7c16qle
yeah, here's the current bracket, I'd find the link that lets you sign up but i'm too tired rn, bug halfy for it

PKEarthbound

Smash Cadet
NNID
okeyylmao
3DS FC
3969-7077-0272
I know it's probably impossible to implement it so deep in the game now, or maybe it'll just be a pain in the butt to add it, but would you guys actually like Toon Link to have a mirror shield? Either in the current game (cause god knows HOW long it'll be until the next game) or in Smash 5? I personally would love one on him, not only for aesthetic purposes, but also for his competitive game. I found it kind of weird as to how they gave him his normal shield since you can't actually get the Master Sword in it's awakened state without having gotten the Mirror Shield first in WW. Also, sorry if the options are kind of weird. Let me know if you want me to modify them.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Mirror Shield would reflect any projectile only if you're standing still like with the normal shield.

Last edited:

genandnic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-6683-5828
I know it's probably impossible to implement it so deep in the game now, or maybe it'll just be a pain in the butt to add it, but would you guys actually like Toon Link to have a mirror shield? Either in the current game (cause god knows HOW long it'll be until the next game) or in Smash 5? I personally would love one on him, not only for aesthetic purposes, but also for his competitive game. I found it kind of weird as to how they gave him his normal shield since you can't actually get the Master Sword in it's awakened state without having gotten the Mirror Shield first in WW. Also, sorry if the options are kind of weird. Let me know if you want me to modify them.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Mirror Shield would reflect any projectile only if you're standing still like with the normal shield.
Yeah, that's always bugged me too. But it's mostly because I think the Mirror Shield is way prettier. So here's what I did in Brawl/PM (where you can actually mod the game to your liking). I gave green Link a Mirror Shield. But I gave red, blue, purple and dark Link the Four Sword and let them keep the Hero's Shield, because that's how they appear in Four Swords, which is clearly what inspired those recolors (Except maybe that last one because he actually looks like a rip off of TP dark Link rather than Shadow Link...).

I think it would be cool if they started releasing alternate costume packs for Smash4. Maybe one of those costumes could be a more correct looking Wind Waker Link with a mirror shield etc.. And maybe another can be Outset Island Link. Or better yet, Outset Island Link with a mirror shield.

Yeah.

Phobos_

Smash Rookie
I guess here is where I say "hello"? I've been lurking around the Tink boards for a few months now, but figured I'd stand a better chance of improving if I participated a little. Anyway, looking forward to learning more and improving - these boards have already been a big help with that. Cheers :)

links24

Smash Ace
Hey i dont know if people remeber me from the brawl days with TL(vids of me on youtube if you wanna look me up) but yea im back to rep TL yet again. Heres hoping i can bring some stuff to the table.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
>notices that the tink social stopped giving me notifications
>visits there again to reactivate them
>sees that I only missed 2/3 messages
yeah, that seems about right...
I guess here is where I say "hello"? I've been lurking around the Tink boards for a few months now, but figured I'd stand a better chance of improving if I participated a little. Anyway, looking forward to learning more and improving - these boards have already been a big help with that. Cheers :)
Well hi, great to see more tink mains coming out and being a part of the community.

Hey i dont know if people remeber me from the brawl days with TL(vids of me on youtube if you wanna look me up) but yea im back to rep TL yet again. Heres hoping i can bring some stuff to the table.
Yay, more tink rep! I hope to see you trying to push the meta forward in the future.

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
5 messages in one week ;=; come on, we can do better than this (at least I think...). D=

I'm currently still amazed at a JV3 I pulled off yesterday with two dair spikes (link is here if you wanna see). Dair spikes have been practically nonexistent since dair stopped bouncing between Brawl and Smash 4, but you can still somewhat get them through rolling to the very edge of the stage. I really miss our old dair. ;-;

In other news, I'm considering picking up a high-tier main who can actually cover the characters I struggle with like Mario and Rosalina (I don't really play Puff seriously). I've been scrolling between Ness, Villager and Rosaluma herself but I'm still deciding. Any tips?

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
5 messages in one week ;=; come on, we can do better than this (at least I think...). D=

I'm currently still amazed at a JV3 I pulled off yesterday with two dair spikes (link is here if you wanna see). Dair spikes have been practically nonexistent since dair stopped bouncing between Brawl and Smash 4, but you can still somewhat get them through rolling to the very edge of the stage. I really miss our old dair. ;-;

In other news, I'm considering picking up a high-tier main who can actually cover the characters I struggle with like Mario and Rosalina (I don't really play Puff seriously). I've been scrolling between Ness, Villager and Rosaluma herself but I'm still deciding. Any tips?
"Just play sheik." - ZeRo 2k15

In all seriousness though, play a high tier who you actually enjoy to play, hell, maybe you would enjoy sheik. My high tier secondary is Roy and I feel I've seen you around the Roy boards, but maybe that was someone else.

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
Although I feel I've seen you here a few times before... maybe that was on the boards.
I feel I've seen you around the Roy boards, but maybe that was someone else.
I need to search for this Vapo lookalike because I have been neither of these places. D=

I've tried Sheik but she doesn't suit my playstyle at all and I find her incredibly hard to play. The same applies to Zamus and Sonic, and I find Mario incredibly boring. While Rosaluma isn't to par with my Jiggs or Tink yet, I think I can get her to that within a couple of weeks so I'm probably gonna go with her. As much as I hate fighting Rosaluma, I find her fun to play and it's refreshing finally maining a high tier. It really does suck when most characters you love playing as are low tier ;-;

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
I need to search for this Vapo lookalike because I have been neither of these places. D=

I've tried Sheik but she doesn't suit my playstyle at all and I find her incredibly hard to play. The same applies to Zamus and Sonic, and I find Mario incredibly boring. While Rosaluma isn't to par with my Jiggs or Tink yet, I think I can get her to that within a couple of weeks so I'm probably gonna go with her. As much as I hate fighting Rosaluma, I find her fun to play and it's refreshing finally maining a high tier. It really does suck when most characters you love playing as are low tier ;-;
Oh yeah, I did say that twice, I completely forgot lmao. I actually just remembered that it definitely wasn't you, it was someone who's signature was a gif of tink and ghost zelda high 5ing (spirit tracks), so... ya, whoever that was, it's them that I'm thinking of.

But oh man, don't get me started on low tiers, they're just so fun to play! Tink (arguably, I'd say mid), Marth, Palutena, wft, Charizard, mac and likely many others I can't think of.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Could you guys add my brother to the Toon Link skype group?

Skype ID: davinator78

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Yay! I feel like my Toon Link is finally tournament ready! I'm thinking of going him primarily at the next tournament to gain more experience in perpetration for my next monthly but I don't want to drop seeing points, what to do? :(

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
You should all talk here more often, or I'll stab you. In 3 days this thread will be a year old, there's a completely pointless topic to talk about!
(or you could talk about me threatening to stab you for not typing a message on some random website, that's cool too.)

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
You should all talk here more often, or I'll stab you. In 3 days this thread will be a year old, there's a completely pointless topic to talk about!
(or you could talk about me threatening to stab you for not typing a message on some random website, that's cool too.)
Not sure which is more appealing. What type of blade would you stab me with? That'll help me to decide what to talk about.

GreenT

Smash Rookie
I'm a new smash bros player, who mains Toon Link, and this is my first message on the Tink boards. So hey everyone?

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
I just haven't had much to talk about lately due to school and stuff. There's not much opportunity to practice against non-CPUs when you live stupidly far away from everyone else (Dubai). D= I just played like 20 matches with a Toon Link main who never switched and learnt a lot about the magical powers of fair and dsmash. I've never really used fair for killing much before but now I'm regretting that I never did.

Oh, and welcome to the boards GreenT!

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
I'm a new smash bros player, who mains Toon Link, and this is my first message on the Tink boards. So hey everyone?
Yay, more people. I hope you stick around, it seems most people come here say one message about how they wanna play Tink then just disappear from this these boards. Remember that if you feel like joining the Tink skype group (literally just a really chill group of people who main Tink where you can just talk about whatever.) then all you have to do is say, post your skype name in here and @Artemis will add you.

So by "new smash bros. player," I would assume you mean that sm4sh is your first smash game, if so, great! In my opinion it's currently the easiest smash game to get into competitively due to it being so young that there's nowhere near as much to learn as in meleeat the moment.

There're plenty of guides out there for learning Tink and just fundamentals.
Here are a few videos you should check out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3_vOtY5kCc (This works for all characters but Tink gets some of the most use out of it with his bombs.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vaR4RM-qr0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vVug_cxA6A

One player you should check out is Zan, just search "Zan Toon Link" on youtube and you'll find some sets of him playing in tournament.

GreenT

Smash Rookie
Yay, more people. I hope you stick around, it seems most people come here say one message about how they wanna play Tink then just disappear from this these boards. Remember that if you feel like joining the Tink skype group (literally just a really chill group of people who main Tink where you can just talk about whatever.) then all you have to do is say, post your skype name in here and @Artemis will add you.

So by "new smash bros. player," I would assume you mean that sm4sh is your first smash game, if so, great! In my opinion it's currently the easiest smash game to get into competitively due to it being so young that there's nowhere near as much to learn as in meleeat the moment.

There're plenty of guides out there for learning Tink and just fundamentals.
Here are a few videos you should check out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3_vOtY5kCc (This works for all characters but Tink gets some of the most use out of it with his bombs.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vaR4RM-qr0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vVug_cxA6A

One player you should check out is Zan, just search "Zan Toon Link" on youtube and you'll find some sets of him playing in tournament.
Thanks for the help. I am actually pretty familiar with the competitive scene. Zan is really fun to watch and I actually learn a lot from the videos I see him in. I actually started playing during melee, but just started to get into smash bros competitively when smash wii u came out. I'm excited finally decided to talk in the forums. I know I'll learn new things about Toon Link here. And I will probably stick around, so don't worry :).

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Thanks for the help. I am actually pretty familiar with the competitive scene. Zan is really fun to watch and I actually learn a lot from the videos I see him in. I actually started playing during melee, but just started to get into smash bros competitively when smash wii u came out. I'm excited finally decided to talk in the forums. I know I'll learn new things about Toon Link here. And I will probably stick around, so don't worry :).
Oh, that's actually the same as me. I was born the same year melee came out so I didn't play it all that often but I started playing a lot more in brawl, where I decide to main tink. I only got into the competitive scene when smash wii u came out and I like to think I'm pretty decent at the game. Getting active on smashboards is always a good idea, it's how you'll learn the most.

GreenT

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the jumpgliding vid. I tried that out on some opponents and it worked really well. I managed to follow up into F Smash, and Up Smash which is pretty cool.

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Thanks for the jumpgliding vid. I tried that out on some opponents and it worked really well. I managed to follow up into F Smash, and Up Smash which is pretty cool.
yeah, that's probably your best kill option. Just get creative with it; fair, dair, footstool, even dair! Just experiment withit, and keep in mind thatthe boomerang sweetspots at close range and when it does it has roughly the same knockback and hitstun as one ofyour bombs.

GreenT

Smash Rookie
I know about the boomergang follow ups, but I'm not very good at hiting them. That is something to work on I guess.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Huh. For some reason smashboards stopped giving me alerts. Is there a way to solve this?
Check your alert preferences.
If you don't check a thread when you get an alert for it you will stop getting alerts for that thread until you check it. And then sometimes, occasionally, a thread will simply not give you an alert at all, though I'm not sure why this happens or whether it's the person's fault somehow. It could be for any number of reasons.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
My post got deleted, so here's the gist of it:
PM is glorious.
Toon Link is broken in Project M, especially with 12% bombs and one of the most ungimpable recoveries in the game, and combos for dayz.
Lunchables is a really good player.
Here's a game of him.
https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=DvHhHcPzkHw

I cry for how Tink could have been every time I watch one of these sets.

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
PM is glorious.
Toon Link is broken in Project M, especially with 12% bombs and one of the most ungimpable recoveries in the game, and combos for dayz.
Here's a game of him.

12% bombs? I assume the follow ups are nowhere near as good as on sm4sh, or that's... that's just broken...

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Don't know if this was already known....but throwing a bomb at roy from behind, a split second after he counters....there's short window where it's deflects and lands on the ground instead of exploding.

That was something when I first saw it...

@Jash

Last edited:

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
12% bombs? I assume the follow ups are nowhere near as good as on sm4sh, or that's... that's just broken...
The bombs are multi-hit, and explode a tad bit away from the opponent instead of on-hit, so it's hard to get the full damage. But the follow ups are real ridiculous.

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
PM is glorious.
Here's a game of him.

Huh. I hated his recovery in PM. What makes it so ungimpable? It doesn't go very far

Top Bottom