• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chat Waker - Toon Link social

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
It seems like Nintendo is kinda lazy about the patches-- correlation does not always equal causation, and this is a weird correlation, so it is unlikely that it's a thing. I'm kinda lazy and this internet is kinda crap, so I don't feel like searching out the individual Tweets, but if you've been following ZeRo's Twitter... he's been complaining about how his mains are getting nerfed when other characters should be getting more attention in terms of nerfs.
https://twitter.com/ZeRoSSB
lol. Weird. It's definitely a lot easier for someone to read up on Smashboards or /r/smashbros or something than to stalk the top player and nerf his mains. Considering that ZeRo doesn't exactly main every character on the roster, it's also kinda illogical.
Toon. Ahh, Toon. I REALLY hope he doesn't get neglected anymore.
Yo, Smash 4 Toon already feels faster in terms of mobility compared to Brawl Toon, but maybe it's a placebo effect. I do feel like I'm catching midair bombs that I wouldn't have been able to catch in Brawl though-- is it just that it's easier to pick up airborne items?

I've had a lot of time in the UK tour bus, and... this is unrelated... why am I playing Toon instead of Ness? I was pretty proud in Brawl beating my casual friends with low-tier Ness (only occasionally camping the crap out of them in 4-player free-for-alls with Toon) but in this game, even though Ness has risen to pretty much top tier... I'm not playing him. The logical and most rewarding route would be to stick to my Ness roots (I was actually a Ness main before Toon), but I dunno, is it... because his dair sucks now??? His bair doesn't have the ridiculous, satisfying hitstun that it did in Brawl??? idk. Yeah, maybe that he's not as fun anymore.
There are too many cool characters in Smash 4 to main T_______________T
I want to main Peach. And get better at Pika. Palutena is fun to play (lol do I have a bias because she has an attractive character design? idk.) D3 is hella strong and fun-looking. Mario is so fun.

lol sorry about the ramble, I'm kinda tired.

Last edited:

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
It seems like Nintendo is kinda lazy about the patches-- correlation does not always equal causation, and this is a weird correlation, so it is unlikely that it's a thing. I'm kinda lazy and this internet is kinda crap, so I don't feel like searching out the individual Tweets, but if you've been following ZeRo's Twitter... he's been complaining about how his mains are getting nerfed when other characters should be getting more attention in terms of nerfs.
https://twitter.com/ZeRoSSB
lol. Weird. It's definitely a lot easier for someone to read up on Smashboards or /r/smashbros or something than to stalk the top player and nerf his mains. Considering that ZeRo doesn't exactly main every character on the roster, it's also kinda illogical.
Toon. Ahh, Toon. I REALLY hope he doesn't get neglected anymore.
Yo, Smash 4 Toon already feels faster in terms of mobility compared to Brawl Toon, but maybe it's a placebo effect. I do feel like I'm catching midair bombs that I wouldn't have been able to catch in Brawl though-- is it just that it's easier to pick up airborne items?

I've had a lot of time in the UK tour bus, and... this is unrelated... why am I playing Toon instead of Ness? I was pretty proud in Brawl beating my casual friends with low-tier Ness (only occasionally camping the crap out of them in 4-player free-for-alls with Toon) but in this game, even though Ness has risen to pretty much top tier... I'm not playing him. The logical and most rewarding route would be to stick to my Ness roots (I was actually a Ness main before Toon), but I dunno, is it... because his dair sucks now??? His bair doesn't have the ridiculous, satisfying hitstun that it did in Brawl??? idk. Yeah, maybe that he's not as fun anymore.
There are too many cool characters in Smash 4 to main T_______________T
I want to main Peach. And get better at Pika. Palutena is fun to play (lol do I have a bias because she has an attractive character design? idk.) D3 is hella strong and fun-looking. Mario is so fun.

lol sorry about the ramble, I'm kinda tired.
yea Nintendos nerfing and buffs seems kinda inconsistent and coincidental at times
I find lucas, pika, ness, lucario and roy fun. I only main ness in here because I stopped playing him when I was like 10 because recovery control issues so I dropped him but when I got into competitive or less casual gameplay I picked him up. lucas I just love his aerials, and hitting people with a stick. Pika is quick and I always liked him because I had the original pokemon yellow. Lucario I just liked him in brawl and I like his aura mechanic for great punishes and satisfaction when patient. Roy I played him in pm for fun and I just never like how marth is kinda over praised or played, and Roy's play style appeals to me because I prefer being close to the opponent rather than spaced. Tink I grew up with his games

Does anyone have a link to the character frame data that thinkaman made I saw the one in the wii u/3ds competitive thread but im looking for one that I saw that was more organized

Saike

Smash Rookie
I've worked on some Toon Link pixel art to use as an avatar. If you guys have any particular Toon Link costumes you would like, send me a reference and I can fix up some more for you all.
UPDATED:

Last edited:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
yea Nintendos nerfing and buffs seems kinda inconsistent and coincidental at times
I find lucas, pika, ness, lucario and roy fun. I only main ness in here because I stopped playing him when I was like 10 because recovery control issues so I dropped him but when I got into competitive or less casual gameplay I picked him up. lucas I just love his aerials, and hitting people with a stick. Pika is quick and I always liked him because I had the original pokemon yellow. Lucario I just liked him in brawl and I like his aura mechanic for great punishes and satisfaction when patient. Roy I played him in pm for fun and I just never like how marth is kinda over praised or played, and Roy's play style appeals to me because I prefer being close to the opponent rather than spaced. Tink I grew up with his games

Does anyone have a link to the character frame data that thinkaman made I saw the one in the wii u/3ds competitive thread but im looking for one that I saw that was more organized
http://smashboards.com/threads/comp...-every-character-now-with-ko-percents.383550/
I've worked on some Toon Link pixel art to use as an avatar. If you guys have any particular Toon Link costumes you would like, send me a reference and I can fix up some more for you all.
UPDATED:
Not going to lie, these are pretty awesome.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Depends on where. Papajohns, hawaiian. Anywhere else, pepperoni and pineapple.

Off topic: Once the upload to youtube feature gets here I plan on making gifs of each of Toon Link's move and documenting end lag frames.

Last edited:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
A somewhat common theory is that characters are buffed or nerfed according to Japanese tier lists. If there's any truth to that and Toon Link is similarly placed on other Japanese tier lists, it makes sense why he's not receiving any buffs.

Shi-G tier list
http://imgur.com/ZQH4gcR

Last edited:

ultrament2

Smash Cadet
NNID
ultrament2
A somewhat common theory is that characters are buffed or nerfed according to Japanese tier lists. If there's any truth to that and Toon Link is similarly placed on other Japanese tier lists, it makes sense why he's not receiving any buffs.

Shi-G tier list
http://imgur.com/ZQH4gcR
Yeah, that's what I'm feeling too. What in the hell are the japanese doing that makes TL so dangerous with his jabs? Have they found a way to make it so we can jab 1 to fsmash? Would the "nerf" make it so we can do so?

ToonSmeef

Smash Rookie
NNID
TurkeyScrub
Hey guys. I've been playing Toon Lunk since Brawl, and I decided to start playing Smash 4 competitively recently. I figured a good start would be to join the Skype group for him. Accept me plsss. If anyone cares, Anther's Ladder ID is IsaacG. If you see me on there, fite me plsssssssssssssss

Skype ID: ToonSmeef

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Jash put in work at Smash Attack 9, finishing 5th. Lots of good matches were had, Villager vs. Toon was much more hype than I thought it'd be.

D

Deleted member

Just had to post this somewhere, but this restaurant I'm at was just playing Saria's Song then Zelda's Lullaby. As for the pizza talk, veggie lovers pizza > all.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Lollllllllllllllll, updates that are based on the Japanese tiers.
we should have NTSC update versions and a different update for Smash 4 in the Asia region like how they seperated all the other non-updatable games.
edit: I couldn't recognize my own sarcasm rereading what I wrote. what the heck, it wasn't even funny. eh well.

also, image-free browsing is amazing on this super crappy internet, holy crap. I can't see all your pretty faces though. neither can I se the pixel art.

also, this is a really slow phone that even lags when I attempt to perform basic functions like pull up my options menu. sigh.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So what do you guys think of what we know so far about Triforce Heroes?

Personally I think it looks like it could be interesting, just don't understand why it allows 3-player multiplayer but not 2. Also I love the new Gay designs for them. Even the new hair colours look a lot better than I would've expected, and would love to see the red and blue ones in Smash 5.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I'm personally pretty excited for Triforce Heroes. It was a completely unexpected Zelda title that's releasing relatively soon. I'm hoping it will be a lot of fun to play since we haven't gotten a multiplayer Zelda game in such a long time.

ToonSmeef

Smash Rookie
NNID
TurkeyScrub
So what do you guys think of what we know so far about Triforce Heroes?

Personally I think it looks like it could be interesting, just don't understand why it allows 3-player multiplayer but not 2. Also I love the new Gay designs for them. Even the new hair colours look a lot better than I would've expected, and would love to see the red and blue ones in Smash 5.
I think it looks fun. I was actually able to play Four Swords Adventures back then with friends, so I'm pretty excited. Only thing that worries me though is that the online'll be weird since it doesn't have voice chat, and half the fun of multiplayer Zelda came from yelling at your friends, telling them what to do. But, I guess that's what local play will be for. I believe I read somewhere that you can just use Download Play to play local multiplayer with one copy, but that doesn't necessarily sound like something Nintendo would do. I mean, you have to have a copy of Smash 3DS to use the 3DS as a controller on the Wii U version, so I wouldn't be surprised if Download Play was a no no.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
I think it looks fun. I was actually able to play Four Swords Adventures back then with friends, so I'm pretty excited. Only thing that worries me though is that the online'll be weird since it doesn't have voice chat, and half the fun of multiplayer Zelda came from yelling at your friends, telling them what to do. But, I guess that's what local play will be for. I believe I read somewhere that you can just use Download Play to play local multiplayer with one copy, but that doesn't necessarily sound like something Nintendo would do. I mean, you have to have a copy of Smash 3DS to use the 3DS as a controller on the Wii U version, so I wouldn't be surprised if Download Play was a no no.
Using the 3ds as a controller needs the game because it doesn't download it I think there's like a 2$ app so it can be used as a controller though

It might have download play look at mario kart 7 you can play any map through download play might have a bit longer loading times and random generated or specific levels only if its download play

But it still looks fun if on 1 player it might work like 4 swords when you use one at a time or something

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Well. I finally got to deciding the Smash 4 mains that I want to list myself as having on Smashboards. They're the same as my Brawl mains, surprise surprise.
I think Pikachu can wait. I still need to improve my Toon and Marth first, lol. I'll just let ESAM be amazing at him and leave Pikachu alone for now until I get better at playing Smash in general. (;_;7)

It's a pretty high time for Marth/Lucina mains, since they got a massive buff this patch, if you didn't know. Jab is SAFE now, and jab1 can lead into a TON of stuff (e.g. tipper fsmash).
That + his Dancing Blade buff and mobility buff make him... really good.
lol. It's times like these that make me glad that I was too lazy to change mains from Brawl. :p
It's funny that people say that character loyalty is so beautiful, because I'm just not changing my mains because of laziness.

Pikachu DID have the most time that I've logged onto a single non-main character in Brawl though, lol. QACing is fun as heck. And ESAM is amazing.
And Pika may soon be literally top tier. He's kind of the only *super* good character who is untouched by ANY nerfs at all.
And ahh, Ness... I kinda wish I still played him. I still play well with him with pretty much no practice, but I guess he just doesn't click with me anymore like he did in Brawl.

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
I'm just gonna say it.
Amiibos are stupid...
for whatever reason all my amiibos just have a very hard time with tl's second custom neutral b, the fire arrows. I managed to jv2 (I think it would be called that in one stock) my new, lvl 50 ganondorf amiibo, Slamondorf, by only using fire arrows and bomb to fair just to finish him off at 180%. I'll definitely upload this replay to youtube once they patch in that feature they were talking about in the june 14th direct (i think it'll be august with the new stages.)

on another note, I feel like making a montage parody video (cus y not) but i don't have footage. Anyone have any footage they'd be willing to send me? I'd give credit in the description if i do get footage.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
I swear to jesus when I meet a Toon Link player online, they always are girls(because of their names), who ALWAYS picks Toon Link, probably because they think he's "cute", once I pick my Marth or Bowser Jr., they roll all of the stage, get F-smashes alot, almost hard to get out of their way, and spam projectiles, wishing i used Fox instead so they would be forced to melee, not to mention its laggy as hell, ironicly, when i play against the Americans or Canadians, its always lagging, but when i face a japanese person, literally no lag.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Wow, thanks ;____;
I picked Toon in Brawl because his Dair was just about the best thing in the world, lol. That is, until people said to stop because it was such a telegraphed move.

Update on me guys, I was in the US for about ~4 days (holy crap, Marth is so buffed. I never really used the platform sliding thing in matches anyway, so I didn't really feel a thing with that :|) and nowwww I'm in Taiwan to visit family. I literally have to adjust to a 12-hour difference in time. I don't have to adjust my watch, but holy crap, this is theoretically the worst jetlag you can get.

No WiiU here, but my uncle has a Wii. And SSBB. The Asian version where Ike, Fox and MK sound different. So yeah, that's great.... and since about everywhere else in the world is like, not as consumerist as the US is, we still have CRTs here simply because they still work. So yep, I've got that going for me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm just gonna say it.
Amiibos are stupid...
for whatever reason all my amiibos just have a very hard time with tl's second custom neutral b, the fire arrows. I managed to jv2 (I think it would be called that in one stock) my new, lvl 50 ganondorf amiibo, Slamondorf, by only using fire arrows and bomb to fair just to finish him off at 180%. I'll definitely upload this replay to youtube once they patch in that feature they were talking about in the june 14th direct (i think it'll be august with the new stages.)

on another note, I feel like making a montage parody video (cus y not) but i don't have footage. Anyone have any footage they'd be willing to send me? I'd give credit in the description if i do get footage.
Really, that works? That wouldn't surprise me (personally mine just rolls and airdodges everywhere, so it's pretty clear that they're dumb), but wow.
I swear to jesus when I meet a Toon Link player online, they always are girls(because of their names), who ALWAYS picks Toon Link, probably because they think he's "cute", once I pick my Marth or Bowser Jr., they roll all of the stage, get F-smashes alot, almost hard to get out of their way, and spam projectiles, wishing i used Fox instead so they would be forced to melee, not to mention its laggy as hell, ironicly, when i play against the Americans or Canadians, its always lagging, but when i face a japanese person, literally no lag.
Lol. These are among the most ridiculous complaints I've heard in a very long time. Why do you care if there are girls who main Gay, and why do you think it's your place to judge their reasons for picking their character just because of their gender? Do you judge the character choice of guys based on their gender, too? Just play the damn game and let people main who they want. Especially since Gay is already an unpopular-enough character as is, we don't need to be chasing people off from using the character because 'omg i can't main the same character as some grills!1!!1!'.
Wow, thanks ;____;
I picked Toon in Brawl because his Dair was just about the best thing in the world, lol. That is, until people said to stop because it was such a telegraphed move.

Update on me guys, I was in the US for about ~4 days (holy crap, Marth is so buffed. I never really used the platform sliding thing in matches anyway, so I didn't really feel a thing with that :|) and nowwww I'm in Taiwan to visit family. I literally have to adjust to a 12-hour difference in time. I don't have to adjust my watch, but holy crap, this is theoretically the worst jetlag you can get.

No WiiU here, but my uncle has a Wii. And SSBB. The Asian version where Ike, Fox and MK sound different. So yeah, that's great.... and since about everywhere else in the world is like, not as consumerist as the US is, we still have CRTs here simply because they still work. So yep, I've got that going for me.
Taiwan? That sounds really neat. How is it over there?

Last edited by a moderator:

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
So guys is toon gonna stop being called gay and now tofu i dont get how tofu as a name for toon makes sense im so confused help

So im going to a wedding like 2 weeks from now which is 1 week after summer school is over so im only having 1 week of proper sleep during summer vacation this year which really sucks someone please kill me while im still young

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Lol. These are among the most ridiculous complaints I've heard in a very long time. Why do you care if there are girls who main Gay, and why do you think it's your place to judge their reasons for picking their character just because of their gender? Do you judge the character choice of guys based on their gender, too? Just play the damn game and let people main who they want. Especially since Gay is already an unpopular-enough character as is, we don't need to be chasing people off from using the character because 'omg i can't main the same character as some grills!1!!1!'s
Nah, just stating an opinion since when something repeats many times, you just want to post your feelings on something, fact.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Any other Gay users going to Evo? I might be going (signed up but stuff came up so I might not be able to go), Zan says he's going, anyone else?
So guys is toon gonna stop being called gay and now tofu i dont get how tofu as a name for toon makes sense im so confused help

So im going to a wedding like 2 weeks from now which is 1 week after summer school is over so im only having 1 week of proper sleep during summer vacation this year which really sucks someone please kill me while im still young
Tofu is great, that's why he should be called 'Tofu'. And does school start early where you live or something? When does it start? It's so strange to me to hear of kids going back to school already this time of year, though I guess the school I went to as a kid was apparently weird since it ended at the end of June and we got back in mid August.
Nah, just stating an opinion since when something repeats many times, you just want to post your feelings on something, fact.
No one cares about your feelings if you're going to irrationally complain about a group of people who shouldn't be complained about, fact.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz

Really? I'm waiting for the summer holidays right now! Just 2 weeks to go.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
Any other Gay users going to Evo? I might be going (signed up but stuff came up so I might not be able to go), Zan says he's going, anyone else?

Tofu is great, that's why he should be called 'Tofu'. And does school start early where you live or something? When does it start? It's so strange to me to hear of kids going back to school already this time of year, though I guess the school I went to as a kid was apparently weird since it ended at the end of June and we got back in mid August.

No one cares about your feelings if you're going to irrationally complain about a group of people who shouldn't be complained about, fact.
School starts august 12 but after the wedding we're going to mexico but im most likely gonna get dragged around by family either hanging out or work with them so im not gonna have time to my self that often and if i do I'll most likely be sleeping

I'll probably watch evo live but not go because im still in highschool hope you can go since you signed up and good luck there

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548

Who said I wanted people to care for me anywhere?
Lets just end this here saying you've won, people get salty like me.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Oh hey guys, I forgot to talk about PAL Brawl.
Toon DOES double-jump higher in PAL Brawl than NTSC.
I remember watching the Sigma vs Otori video and thinking that Sigma somehow controlled Toon so well that he was able to jump at Toon's highest height. But no, it's just PAL Brawl lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uxsx2t-V1Y&ab_channel=hyde6tetsu9

Brawl Toon was so good. Like, what the heck, his nair KILLED?? and BAIR IS SO LAGLESS.
airdodge -> zair being literally lagless is stupidly good lol
And Brawl Marth was so insane, holy crap.
And RIP Brawl Ness. Still like him more than Smash 4 Ness doe.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh hey guys, I forgot to talk about PAL Brawl.
Toon DOES double-jump higher in PAL Brawl than NTSC.
I remember watching the Sigma vs Otori video and thinking that Sigma somehow controlled Toon so well that he was able to jump at Toon's highest height. But no, it's just PAL Brawl lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uxsx2t-V1Y&ab_channel=hyde6tetsu9
What? There weren't any differences between PAL Brawl and NTSC Brawl except non-gameplay stuff like text etc.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
What? There weren't any differences between PAL Brawl and NTSC Brawl except non-gameplay stuff like text etc.
Toon REALLY feels like he jumps insanely high in PAL Brawl though... Like, especially with his double jump.
I also remember watching that specific video and thinking that Toon somehow jumps insanely high compared to when I jump with Brawl Toon.

Maybe it's because I'm switching from Smash 4 to Brawl? :C
I watched a Jash VOD and saw that he jumped probably just as high as Sigma did ;_______;
I don't know what to think anymore

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

RustyOwl

Smash Rookie
NNID
RustyOwl
You earned what should have been a win in your match with that Mii Brawler, Artemis. All that expert work just to get robbed! The chat and commentators were all really impressed and rooting for you.

My face after it happened:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
You earned what should have been a win in your match with that Mii Brawler, Artemis. All that expert work just to get robbed! The chat and commentators were all really impressed and rooting for you.

My face after it happened:
Man, I wish I could've seen that. Oh well, nice job anyway Artemis. Must've been impressive to watch.

TheBlightcaller

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1564-4167-1069
Artemis was absolutely amazing. She makes me so proud to call myself a Tink main. ^^ I just discovered her today during that match and I've just done research since then. She's inspired to me to work harder at him.

Man, I wish I could've seen that. Oh well, nice job anyway Artemis. Must've been impressive to watch.
Aw, it didn't reply for whatever reason. But yeah, Artemis is fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Aw, it didn't reply for whatever reason. But yeah, Artemis is fantastic.
I've played against her several times before, and I hardly ever win... like my wins are total luck when they happen. She's one of the best players I've ever played against.

Edit: Just found out Artemis is actually a girl. Sorry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom